2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Complaints about slow play...

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I once played in a golf tournament in Lebanon, Missouri.

When and what tournament was it?  And, how did someone from Bellingham, WA play in a tournament at our local course?

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

2 minutes ago, DLeightonReid said:

When and what tournament was it?  And, how did someone from Bellingham, WA play in a tournament at our local course?

Years and years ago, when I was a teen.  It was summer and at the time my parents had a home in Osage Beach.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Years and years ago, when I was a teen.  It was summer and at the time my parents had a home in Osage Beach.

Small world!  If you are ever back this way, I would gladly show you the course again.  You might have played our course before it was converted into an 18 hole course.  

On 11/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, DLeightonReid said:

I recently played in a benefit tournament which had a full field of 36 four man teams, so an A and B team on each hole.  With this many teams, I knew it would be a slow round of about 5 hours.  About 4 holes in, the A team that we followed off the first tee decided to join up with the team ahead of them.  Now we are following a group of eight.  With a full field, the flow of play can only go as fast as the slowest team.  At the turn, we asked the group if we could play through and they declined our request.  The anticipated 5 hour round took 6 hours and 15 minutes to complete.  In my opinion, it was very inconsiderate to our group and the groups behind us that had to wait on every shot.  

Benefit or not, I've never heard of such a thing.

Wasn't there anybody running the show you could've registered a complaint with ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Benefit or not, I've never heard of such a thing.

Wasn't there anybody running the show you could've registered a complaint with ?

The company I work for is one of the key sponsors of the tournament.  It is a party atmosphere with loud music and tubs of cold adult beverages.  The best move I can make is to decline an invite to play next year.  

• Like 1

Complaining about either slow play or cheating at a boozy hit-and-giggle social event seems a waste of effort. Nobody's there to play golf, if you want to do something other than get drunk and clown around probably better to just go play golf somewhere that day. You've not going to get much in the way of favorable response from the organizers or the party-goers. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Complaining about either slow play or cheating at a boozy hit-and-giggle social event seems a waste of effort. Nobody's there to play golf, if you want to do something other than get drunk and clown around probably better to just go play golf somewhere that day. You've not going to get much in the way of favorable response from the organizers or the party-goers. 

I agree.  It's kinda like complaining about pin placements at a Top Golf event.

Some things involving a golf ball and club are not real golf but they can be lots of fun.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:46 PM, caniac6 said:

Just played a miserable round today behind 4 inconsiderate players. We had 3 in carts, and we are fast players. They had 3 walkers and 1 rider. We started on the back, and on # 13, one of their guys told us that they were not going to speed up. We didn’t say anything to them, and they had nobody in front of them. We arrived at several tees before they left the tee area, and they just looked at us, and walked on.  At the turn, they hadn’t finished teeing off when we pulled up- we stayed back an appropriate distance- looked at us, and walked off. We just skipped the hole, and went around. The most frustrating thing was the pro said they were on pace, so he really couldn’t say anything to them. This is a private club, so we knew the guys ahead of us. They just didn’t want to let us through. One more thing: We were probably 2 holes ahead of the group behind us, so the group ahead would of had a nice cushion if they had let us through.

This ... is one of my biggest gripes & it happens all the time

"They're on pace so not much we can do"

(Stoopid fingers)

Edited by tboh
  • Like 1

A 4-hour round is to long for me ... I know it's a personal problem 

I personally don't give a rats a** if you're playing for $100 a hole or in a 9-some or playing w your significant other or teaching your kids to play just let me play thru ... I get it ... have fun ... I honestly don't care ... please for the love of God don't make me watch you aim-point that 3 footer for an 8 again

We will be gone before you take your 10th waggle or hit one-shot then drive your cart to the other ball or laser the shot you can't get to the green for the 3rd time 

Just let us be gone ... (I'm sorry rant over lolol)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tboh said:

A 4-hour round is to long for me ... I know it's a personal problem 

I personally don't give a rats a** if you're playing for $100 a hole or in a 9-some or playing w your significant other or teaching your kids to play just let me play thru ... I get it ... have fun ... I honestly don't care ... please for the love of God don't make me watch you aim-point that 3 footer for an 8 again

We will be gone before you take your 10th waggle or hit one-shot then drive your cart to the other ball or laser the shot you can't get to the green for the 3rd time 

Just let us be gone ... (I'm sorry rant over lolol)

Nice rant.

Speaking of waggles, there was a guy in a foursome ahead of me during a solo round a while back with a waggle problem that I became extremely familiar with after a few holes. 

He'd stand away from the ball and make a half-speed, fairly free flowing and decent looking practice swing. Then he'd address the ball and take anywhere from 5 to 8 of what he probably thought of as "waggles". The first one would be nice and smooth (although a little larger than what I'd call a "waggle"). Then the next couple would be quicker and jerkier. Then a variable number more while he pumped himself up to a tense, no shoulder turn lifting and dropping the club steeply with his hands like he was miming the of a hatchet.

And some point he'd just lunge at the ball and either hit it fat or hit a low cutter about knee high. He literally would not stop "waggling" until he'd gotten so tense that making a real golf swing was impossible.

I'm just glad I didn't catch up to this doofus until the 13th hole. If I'd had to watch it any longer I'd have probably abandoned all hope of finishing the round and walked in. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

Nice rant.

Speaking of waggles, there was a guy in a foursome ahead of me during a solo round a while back with a waggle problem that I became extremely familiar with after a few holes. 

He'd stand away from the ball and make a half-speed, fairly free flowing and decent looking practice swing. Then he'd address the ball and take anywhere from 5 to 8 of what he probably thought of as "waggles". The first one would be nice and smooth (although a little larger than what I'd call a "waggle"). Then the next couple would be quicker and jerkier. Then a variable number more while he pumped himself up to a tense, no shoulder turn lifting and dropping the club steeply with his hands like he was miming the of a hatchet.

And some point he'd just lunge at the ball and either hit it fat or hit a low cutter about knee high. He literally would not stop "waggling" until he'd gotten so tense that making a real golf swing was impossible.

I'm just glad I didn't catch up to this doofus until the 13th hole. If I'd had to watch it any longer I'd have probably abandoned all hope of finishing the round and walked in. 

You should have started counting out loud....

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, Nard_S said:

Moved from 9 min to 10 min start times. Yes, they did raise prices too.

That's really annoying if the course is using that as justification to raise prices.  Yeah you have less times available, but if a course does their part to manage pace of play, they can get more groups out and through at full price through the day.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

That's really annoying if the course is using that as justification to raise prices.  Yeah you have less times available, but if a course does their part to manage pace of play, they can get more groups out and through at full price through the day.  

It was well worth it. The layout makes first 6 holes quite congested. Everyone was happy. They did the ranger barking thing. It doesn't work if design slows up things.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

You're making it sound like it's all in the hands of the golf course.

It's far more complicated than that.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

11 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

You're making it sound like it's all in the hands of the golf course.

It's far more complicated than that.

Unless English is not your primary language, I'm not sure how you got that from my post.  My statement of a course "doing their part", should be enough to indicate that there are more factors at play.  I guess since it needs to be spelled out, the players and the course all have a responsiblity to do their parts in maintaining pace of play. 

Ultimately the course does have the final say in the matter, they can remove players from the course who aren't doing their part in keeping up. 

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

29 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Ultimately the course does have the final say in the matter, they can remove players from the course who aren't doing their part in keeping up. 

I've never seen a course do that.  It's like a retail business removing a guy from the premises who has a fat wallet and a big, long shopping list in hand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I've never seen a course do that.  It's like a retail business removing a guy from the premises who has a fat wallet and a big, long shopping list in hand.

I don't believe this is a practice used in the modern day (yes I'm old).  A course I worked at in the mid to late 90's into the early 2000's we would absolutely do this.  You got a warning to speed up, then you got asked to move up to where you should be, then you were asked to leave (given a raincheck of course) if you didn't stay on pace.  I know we weren't the only course in the area, or country that had that sort of policy.   Golf went into a bit of a lull and tee sheets were empty so I think a lot of coures moved away from that practice needing every green fee they could get.  In the last couple years we're back to full tee sheets in a lot of area's.  I think it would be beneficial for coures to go back to enforcing things so one or two groups don't end up ruining things for the majority.  Not every paying customer is a good customer, some end up being detrimental to your business and not worth having.  

Edited by MountainKing

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Every single thing that golfers see or hear or watch on TV reinforces that golf has to be done carefully, with an elaborate series of preparatory rituals before each and every shot. Even the guys playing on TV shoot around par in twosomes with caddies and routinely take 5+ hours to play a round

What would make anyone think a golf course can nullify that entire trend by forcing their customers to play faster? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I don't believe this is a practice used in the modern day (yes I'm old).  A course I worked at in the mid to late 90's into the early 2000's we would absolutely do this.  You got a warning to speed up, then you got asked to move up to where you should be, then you were asked to leave (given a raincheck of course) if you didn't stay on pace.  I know we weren't the only course in the area, or country that had that sort of policy.   Golf went into a bit of a lull and tee sheets were empty so I think a lot of coures moved away from that practice needing every green fee they could get.  In the last couple years we're back to full tee sheets in a lot of area's.  I think it would be beneficial for coures to go back to enforcing things so one or two groups don't end up ruining things for the majority.  Not every paying customer is a good customer, some end up being detrimental to your business and not worth having.  

I'm not opposed to it (see example below). I play about three times a week and I wish they'd post marshals just ahead of me to remove slo-pokes.  Because i swear it only happens to me.  Kinda like wishing for a police car in the area when the guy on the cell phone in front of you is driving slow and erratically.

Example:  Twosome last week playing in front of my twosome.  One guy repeatedly strolled off the green to his cart, parked too near the fringe, and went about detailing his score on his card and checking his phone.  Even though he had looked up to see us waiting to hit our approaches.

• 4 months later...

I will say that I had a good experience with a marshal this weekend and it led to an increase in PoP. 

The course is a slightly longer executive course. 18 holes, 3670 yards, par 60. I.e. no long holes (longest par 4 is 317, no par 5s), but long enough that it's not a pitch & putt either. We usually get a tee time between 8 and 9 AM on weekends, and it's typical to get around the course in about 3:45 at that time of day, even on a weekend. 

We were playing Saturday (8:20 time) and the group in front of us was SLOW. It was two separate twosomes matched up. Two walkers and two sharing a cart. It was the two in the cart causing the problem. By the time we hit 5 (and can see #6 coming back the other direction), we knew that #6 was completely empty by the time they finished putting on 5. As we got up to 7-8 (and can see the 9th), they were clearly more than 1 hole behind.  

At the turn, we hit the 10th as they were still teeing off (we grabbed some beverages as to not be obtrusive or confrontational). At this point we were a little beyond 2:20 into the round, so well behind pace. After they teed off, a marshal inquired as to their situation and I mentioned that it looked like they were running slow, at least a hole (if not two) behind. Well, he went off and talked to them, and they sped the hell up. 

We finished in just about 4 hours even. 

So kudos to a marshal for handling the situation. Much appreciated. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

14 hours ago, BioG said:

This is the best way to sort out slow play

CPG knows what he is talking about. I've utilized all of these postures in my playing career.

It's also helpful if every drive is dead center fairway and flip-wedge approach distance.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• 2 months later...

You know what's worse than slow play?  Having to hear rando's you're paired up with at a muni course on a beautiful day complaining about a slow round when we made the turn in 2 hours.  F you.  Play earlier.  Play elsewhere. Where do you have to be that you want to play in 3.5 hours?  From the looks of it, you can benefit from slowing down a bit.  All of the sudden you realize on the last hole that it wasn't all bad considering we finished just over 4 hours.  F you!  You absolutely ruined a perfect day of golf.  Yeah, I don't like waiting either but to b*tch and moan making strangers uncomfortable is absolute trash.  You weren't even mad at the right group.  F*cking idiots!  /rant

Edited by jqsmooth
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 6.0
3 Wood: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13* Fujikura Motore F3 70-S
Hybrid: Ping Rapture v2 17*
Irons: Srixon 745 TT DG S300 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist 718 ap2 50* GW
Titleist SM6 54* M grind SW
Putter: Swag the Cooler

I completely understand not liking slow play but I do not understand these folks who feel every round should be a sprint.  It's a game and you should be there to enjoy it and allow others to enjoy it too. I completely understand somebody wanting to soak in their round and not rush.  But slow play doesn't bother me. 

My biggest annoyance on a  course are people who treat golf carts like go carts and drive around like crazy  instead of just driving to their ball and hitting  (again, I understand if they are looking for a ball). The second are people constantly checking their phones  (this peeve extends beyond the golf course).  Unless there is something very pressing, turn the thing off.  And if there is something that is so important it requires you to check your phone constantly, maybe you should be tending to the matter and  not be at the golf course that day (because it seems like your priorities may be screwed up). 

I would much rather play a round where I am constantly waiting on 3 slower groups in front of me than have one buffoon screaming at people to hurry up. 

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

I completely understand not liking slow play but I do not understand these folks who feel every round should be a sprint.  It's a game and you should be there to enjoy it and allow others to enjoy it too. I completely understand somebody wanting to soak in their round and not rush.  But slow play doesn't bother me.  My biggest annoyance on a  course are people who treat golf carts like go carts and drive around like crazy  instead of just driving to their ball and hitting  (again, I understand if they are looking for a ball).  

I don't recall anyone saying it should be a "sprint".  However, imo, a round completed in 4 hours or less is not a sprint.  It is easily accomplished with good management and alert, attentive players.

• Like 2