Complaints about slow play...

51 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... that metal pays for my golf.

And here's a thought:  Allow 5-6 hours for your round of golf.  And subtract that extra hour or two from sex with your partner that evening.  (And while you're waiting on the tee for the fairway to clear chat with your partners about their children, BBQ techniques or stock picks)

I'm confused. Are the "partners" in the fairway the same "partners" that you are going to reduce your sex time with by an hour or two?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Sometimes people can’t find their ball.

Sometimes a hole gets backed up.

Sometimes some courses take longer than others.

Sometimes people are not as good as you.

Sometimes people take longer than others because shooting 100, plus three practice swings before each, is a lot of swings.

Sometimes there are self-absorbed jerks on the course, on the road, in a store, at your work or in your home.

Sometimes you should accept that sometimes life gets in your way.

You’re outdoors, playing a game you enjoy. If 15 more minutes sometimes bothers you that much, you might have a problem.

Relax a little. Get some perspective. You’re playing golf, not knee deep in a rice patty in a place without running water, or digging in a landfill for some metal to sell.

Lmao, 15 more minutes? My point exactly “people” are the problem causing slow play. You know damn well if a round is taking 5.5-6hrs to finish. That is not ok in any way, shape, or form. 

19 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

I'm confused. Are the "partners" in the fairway the same "partners" that you are going to reduce your sex time with by an hour or two?

Everyone to their own. But I was being PC referring to your wife, your husband, your boyfriend or girlfriend.  Your mistress or your gigolo.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Yes, I know such courses exist where there are 1-2 groups per hour if even that. Easy to play quickly. Been there, seen that. I have even played on a company owned private course alone with a friend of mine a few times. Had nobody in front of us. Or behind 😎

BUT, so many golf courses are busy and 3:30 is simply a dream, no matter how fast some people think they are.

I guess I am lucky to play on a full course and get finished in 3:30..Maybe they should change their name to field of dreams.

I left my old course two years ago because POP went from 4 hrs to 4:30-4:45 on the weekend. They used to have a ranger to keep things moving but they did away with one.

I found this new course I liked. The only problem is a large group has all the early morning tee times booked on Sat mornings. We started playing there making our tee times between 10-12. Earliest we could get. Most rounds were 3:30-3:45 but some rounds were 4:15 -4:30. Talking to one of the regulars he told us as long as you get out before the ***** group you'll get done in under 4 hrs. They play here every Sat and they are slow and won't let anyone play through. It sort has become a private joke when making a tee time. What time is the ***** group's tee time. Anything before them is fine if you have an opening.

The course owner told us he loves the Sat morning group. He said it consists of a bunch of faster playing people. 

4 minutes ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Lmao, 15 more minutes? My point exactly “people” are the problem causing slow play. You know damn well if a round is taking 5.5-6hrs to finish. That is not ok in any way, shape, or form. 

So what are you going to do about it other than complain or become enraged, pounding on the keyboard?

If that’s your usual round, then maybe you should find different courses, move or maybe golf isn’t for you where you live.

I’ve never had a six hour round anywhere in the US. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but would sure like to know where that’s the norm so I can stay away.

You can’t control everyone else, unless you’re the Dear Leader or armed and start mowing  people down to get them out of your way.

I’d probably be OK with Tasers though…

It comes down to what are you going to do about it?

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

You are joking!!! 3:30 on a full course!!! I have never even heard of that kind of speed!

Our Sunday morning rounds are generally 3:15 to 3:30, as our club pro knows who the faster groups are and put them out first.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

You are joking!!! 3:30 on a full course!!! I have never even heard of that kind of speed!

You are missing out.. Yesterday we played at 3:10. Foursomes on hole 1,2,3,4,and 5. You can see all those holes as you pull into the parking lot. As mentioned the 3:00 foursome let us go ahead of them because they said they were slow. We played a two on two best ball round. We got done in 3:20 so to me the groups ahead also got done fast. I use a timer to time every round. 

The people working there and most of the people that play there are very nice to one and another. Slower groups wave you on, let you play through. Occasionally you run into a bad apple.

I know it may be hard to believe. That is probably why I am on here ranting about pop. I know what is possible.

I travel 45 mins. to play there. Where I live the prices are much higher and everyone thinks 4:30 is normal. 

Just yesterday in my local golf forum a guy was ranting about those that expect to get done in 4:15 and pushing his group. There were people piling on and saying I hate people that expect you to play that fast. Some were saying it isn't considered slow until you are over 5 hrs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

Our Sunday morning rounds are generally 3:15 to 3:30, as our club pro knows who the faster groups are and put them out first.

The course I play at on Saturdays the group that has all the early tee times blocked play that speed too. You can join the group but they enforce pop and you are asked to leave the group if you play to slow according to one of the members. It's a large group so I hate not getting an early time but we slide in right after so we know it's not going to be slow. The owner likes them because he said it keeps things moving from the start.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

So what are you going to do about it other than complain or become enraged, pounding on the keyboard?

If that’s your usual round, then maybe you should find different courses, move or maybe golf isn’t for you where you live.

I’ve never had a six hour round anywhere in the US. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but would sure like to know where that’s the norm so I can stay away.

You can’t control everyone else, unless you’re the Dear Leader or armed and start mowing  people down to get them out of your way.

I’d probably be OK with Tasers though…

It comes down to what are you going to do about it?

Who is pounding on keyboards and getting enraged? I’m not raging or pounding on the keyboard. And to say find another course. That doesn’t solve any problems. It sure didn’t 2 days when I went through it. I wasn’t raging on the course at the time. I was pounding a 36pk with my friends and laughing. Then we found our opening and took it. But there is still a line when it’s ok and not ok.  Like I said a couple post back. There are days when the pace is good. And there are days where it’s gonna suck. I’m just saying slow play is a people problem. And not course layout or gap intervals between groups. Just funny how you sit on your high horse with these useless tips. 

Edited by I'_rather_be_golfing

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

To me speed of play is quite adequate if I can step onto the tee box and no one is lingering in the fairway. And if no one is on the green holding up my approach shot.

Isn't that the ideal situation? Which we seldom experience and never on a full course?

If we did, there would be no discussion about slow play...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greenie said:

The course I play at on Saturdays the group that has all the early tee times blocked play that speed too. You can join the group but they enforce pop and you are asked to leave the group if you play to slow according to one of the members. It's a large group so I hate not getting an early time but we slide in right after so we know it's not going to be slow. The owner likes them because he said it keeps things moving from the start.

When I lived in Chicago area, there were decades long weekend tee time holders at Cog Hill....Cog have out slow play tickets to groups who feel too far behind and they were not shy about removing those groups with 3 slow play tickets in a year, whether they held that tee time for a month or 20 years....guess what, not many slow groups on the course weekend mornings.

• Like 2

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

1 minute ago, Mr. Bean said:

Isn't that the ideal situation? Which we seldom experience and never on a full course?

If we did, there would be no discussion about slow play...

I play year 'round.  In the winter when there's a little snow on the ground and it's 38° I am out there with a couple of hardy, good buddies and almost nobody else on the course.  That is when it is easy to achieve that ideal.

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I play year 'round.  In the winter when there's a little snow on the ground and it's 38° I am out there with a couple of hardy, good buddies and almost nobody else on the course.  That is when it is easy to achieve that ideal.

I can see why you have chosen your avatar 😁

48 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

If there is only one foursome on each hole the course is certainly not full. And if there are 1 foursome on par3, two on par4's and 3 on par5's.... I'd say you wrote that on the April 1st.

I understand..Where you play is different.

The course does 10 min tee times. You tee off on one when the other group is on the green or close to walking off. That creates a nice spacing at the start of your round. As your round goes on and you run into a group having problems on a hole things may tighten up. For some reason when you hit ten most of the spacing is gone. We usually end up 1:30 on the front and 2:00 on the back. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Now the story has changed, as I very much expected 😉

Anyhow, good for you if you have the luxury of experiencing rapid rounds.

Yes, it's great to be able to play in a reasonable amount of time.

One of the groups who are in the first morning times, who we play behind and I've played with, is a 5some of retired gents, one in a handicap flagged cart, they play in under 3 hours....so proves it's possible if players realize not in the US Open, go to their ball and play ready golf.

• Like 2

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

On 6/5/2023 at 1:00 PM, Mr. Bean said:

every club I’ve been at has had that pace with full tee sheets (7-10 minute spacing). Even the muni I grew up on was close to that, but they followed the Chicago program with time stamped cards. 

15 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

every club I’ve been at has had that pace with full tee sheets (7-10 minute spacing). Even the muni I grew up on was close to that, but they followed the Chicago program with time stamped cards. 

Wow! Sure would like to see THAT !!!

Does anybody else here have such experience? Every club you have played throughput time is 3:30 with full tee sheets?

Back in late 90s when I worked in golf course design and construction biz I recall reading about a course in Minnesota (IIRC) that was renovated and had a policy where they guaranteed a sub 4 hour round....part of agreement with patrons was course marshalls were allowed to move your group into position if fell behind, and remove you from the course if couldn't keep pace....average round time was something like 3:40 and they were booked solid weeks in advance.

• Like 3

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

George C. Parker, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Madrid Principles

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

21 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Wow! Sure would like to see THAT !!!

Does anybody else here have such experience? Every club you have played throughput time is 3:30 with full tee sheets?

Mr. Bean I won't say every course I go to plays that quick. I do make a point of not playing what I consider slow courses. My regular home course became very popular because of price,and quality. They over book and did away with the ranger. POP went from under 4 to 430-5 so I don't go there much anymore. 

The course we played today we play several times a year. Another great value course with great conditions and we got done in 3:45. There are plenty of courses I play that are known for 3:30-4 hr rounds and others known for constant slow play. 

Edited by Greenie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I play at a club that used to have a 3 hours 45 minute time limit for 4 balls and competition medals.   2 ball’s definitely played in well under 3 hours if on a clear run or out on a 2 ball time.   

It is very hilly and known as a difficult track although only 6,400 yards long.  It is a course people walk and only the disabled use buggies. 

If you held up a quicker group you’re expected to play them through promptly especially if there are spaces on the course in front.  

I can still play this course in 2 hours and 5 minutes on a clear run and that’s with severe back problems and being over weight and out of shape.  

Anyone defending holding quicker groups up for any reason at all or taking more than 4 hours (even a difficult 7,000 yard tournament track is usually doable in a 4 ball at that pace) to get around needs to gain some consideration and remind themselves of the traditions of course etiquette in this respect.  

Also if you’re in the half way hut and the group behind is not stopping there you should automatically play them through.  

Edited by harveythomas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:46 PM, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

When I lived in Chicago area, there were decades long weekend tee time holders at Cog Hill....Cog have out slow play tickets to groups who feel too far behind and they were not shy about removing those groups with 3 slow play tickets in a year, whether they held that tee time for a month or 20 years....guess what, not many slow groups on the course weekend mornings.

To add onto the Chicago area stuff - it looks like some courses are starting to enforce pace again like they did prior to 2000.  Twice this season when things got backed up, the offending group was moved back into place by the rangers and then the groups behind were asked to pick it up to close the gap.   I love to see it, no round should ever take over 4 hours.  If your home life sucks to the point you need to be out there for 5 hours, fix your home life or play 36.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/5/2022 at 8:46 PM, 4thand11 said:

...I think are overdone.  That is not to say slow play is not an issue, or that it is not annoying.  But waiting in the fairway for a minute while the group in front of you clears the green, is not slow play.

For ex... last weekend I was playing as a single with a group of 3 people.  They were all very nice, and probably average golfers.  One was a senior who played fine but moved a little slower, one was a woman who was pretty good but did not hot the ball very far.  At any rate we were moving at what I consider a decent pace of 4 hours for 18.  The group ahead of us was a threesome and they were excellent golfers, I was watching smoe of their shots.  They played very quickly and got way out in front of us.

Anyway as I mentioned, we were going along fine and when we teed off on the 9th hole, the group behind us was on the 8th green and yelled "Hey how about picking the pace up?"  They may have been waiting for a minute here and there as we finished up putting, but at no point were they waiting on the tee box for us for an extended time, or did they ever catch up to us while we were teeing off.  I told them we were playing the front 9 in a 2-hour pace which is fine.  They said, "Hey buddy there's no one in front of you for an entire hole".  I said, "Who cares I don't control how fast they play".

My point is this: the obsession with slow play has gotten out of hand.  If you can play a round as a foursome in 4 hours, that is a fine pace.  Especially at a muni where players of all ages and abilities are playing.  If you have to wait 30 seconds to hit your approach shot, that is not an excuse to start yelling at the group in front of you. 

Also a related anecdote, once I was playing and there WAS a REALLY slow group 2 groups in front of us and they were causing a legit backup.  The group in front of us was playing quickly but were waiting on every tee box.  So at one PAR 3 a group of meatheads comes up to the tee box while we are still waiting to tee off.  They yell at the group on the green, "Hey let's EFFING GO A**HOLES!!!".  I should note that the group in front of us consisted of a dad and his 14 year old daughter (she was an excellent player by the way).  So these morons are cursing out a 14yo girl because they are annoyed by a backup, without even stopping to think if the people they are yelling at were the cause of the backup.  It's obnoxious and I guess people just suck sometimes.

First off the 4 hr measurement is a fantasy and 100% IRRELAVANT. Your the guy in the fast Lane on the hwy thinking you’re ok doing 60 in a 55.... no good pal,  move over. Your job as a golfer is to KEEP UP WITH, the group ahead or let faster groups play through. I should not have to wait one minute if there’s open holes ahead of you. There is no acceptable time, if your not up with the group ahead of ( and someone’s waiting) you are the slow play problem. By your logic if your group and mine are the only two groups on an absolutely empty course and you play in four hours I shouldn’t be invited to play through. This is the entire problem

• Like 2

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”