Help! I’ve got to play with my father in-law tomorrow and I’m in bits!

I played a bucket of balls to warm-up and get in a good mental space today and I didn’t hit a single clean strike. Not a single one.

I’m chunking the s*** out of everything and even mixing in a few nasty shanks for good measure. 

I split the session in half. In the first half I was working on dropping the club down behind me then rotating through (first video). In the second half, my swing thought was covering the ball more (second video). In both cases I was really emphasising doing a big weight shift onto the left side early in the downswing which is why it was so depressing to hit chunk after chunk after chunk.

(FYI - my target line was the blue post, that’s why my alignment looks like I’m aiming right)

The driving range was this horrendous sandy soil which didn’t help as it felt like playing out of a fairway bunker but still, I don’t feel like I was striking ball then turf. 

Can anyone see what’s causing the contact issues? 

Edited by Luckydutch

@Luckydutch The moment you start getting the chunks you have to look at your sequencing, and it has changed pretty drastically since the last videos that we've discussed:

LuckyDutchTrans1.gif.83b5d54b591b801f3f658d4c33b38951.gifLuckyDutchTrans2.gif.1e6287c16c4cbbd06d9ae7e06c411eff.gif

In the first video your hands were higher, more in front of you, and you drove the left hip back at the correct time to kick off your downswing. In the new video you're doing the complete opposite. Your hands are stuck a mile behind you again, you're leading with them in the downswing and casting very early from a stuck position, and your lower half/left hip is doing very little, especially compared to your last swing. These new swings are a pretty stark regression from where you were before, so i'm curious what you were attempting or seeking to do/change that caused this.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

4 hours ago, Valtiel said:

@Luckydutch The moment you start getting the chunks you have to look at your sequencing, and it has changed pretty drastically since the last videos that we've discussed:

LuckyDutchTrans1.gif.83b5d54b591b801f3f658d4c33b38951.gifLuckyDutchTrans2.gif.1e6287c16c4cbbd06d9ae7e06c411eff.gif

In the first video your hands were higher, more in front of you, and you drove the left hip back at the correct time to kick off your downswing. In the new video you're doing the complete opposite. Your hands are stuck a mile behind you again, you're leading with them in the downswing and casting very early from a stuck position, and your lower half/left hip is doing very little, especially compared to your last swing. These new swings are a pretty stark regression from where you were before, so i'm curious what you were attempting or seeking to do/change that caused this.

Well recently I’ve been affording myself a flatter backswing and I’ve made huge strides in swinging more from the inside. Even started to hit the occasional draw with the driver, added nearly 40 yards off the tee and shot 6 under my previous personal best.

That was two weeks ago, however.

Not sure what has changed since then but whilst my drives are still good, my irons have completely fallen apart and it’s chunk city.

I’ve been trying not to ‘spin-out’ with the hips as much recently as it was a contributor to my OTT but I try to do a big lateral move early in the downswing and get the weight onto my left foot without moving my head too much.

Ive not tried taking a frontal video, though and perhaps should have. Could be I’m not shifting left as much as I think I am.

Is what you suspect the issue is? Not enough weight forward?

42 minutes ago, Luckydutch said:

I’ve been trying not to ‘spin-out’ with the hips as much recently as it was a contributor to my OTT but I try to do a big lateral move early in the downswing and get the weight onto my left foot without moving my head too much.

Could be I’m not shifting left as much as I think I am.

Is what you suspect the issue is? Not enough weight forward?

This sounds like a matter of "when" and "how much" to me and that you might be conflating the two. Previously you firing at the right time (the "when") and doing so aggressively (the "how much" i.e. spinning out, like you said). The problem looks like how you've chosen to address this, because you've changed the "when" significantly when you shouldn't have. This is what @TheDeanAbides mentioned in the previous thread about how you really should avoid trying to diagnose your own problems at this stage. "Spinning out" with your hips was not the cause of an over the top move, its the overly stuck backswing position where you get your hands too far behind you and you HAVE to come over the top because there is nowhere else to go.

In the previous thread I mentioned having fast hips places a premium on not getting yourself into overly deep or stuck positions in the backswing because your hands will get stuck further. The fast hips were not really the problem, so the takeaway there was "keep your hands unstuck and be mindful of hip speed", but instead you've gone back to getting your hands way too stuck behind you again, something your previous videos have shown is an issue, and have also stopped using your hips in the correct sequence in response to this. This is like if someone warns you "hey make sure to drink extra water if you're going to finish that whole bottle of wine so you don't get a nasty headache" and your takeaway from this was to switch the wine to cocaine and drink even LESS water, lol.

It's feeling to me like you're focusing so much on coming from the inside and trying to hit draws that you're manufacturing the positions you think you need to do this instead of letting the development of correct fundamentals do that for you. The former virtually always results in doing the wrong thing and the latter allows whatever the "right" thing is to occur more naturally. Your swing could easily develop into one that is simply more suited to hit cuts, and trying to force draws will only serve to hurt that. Regardless, the task at hand is to get your hands back up to where they were before and undo whatever change you made to your lower body sequencing to get that back to where it was.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 

25 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

This sounds like a matter of "when" and "how much" to me and that you might be conflating the two. Previously you firing at the right time (the "when") and doing so aggressively (the "how much" i.e. spinning out, like you said). The problem looks like how you've chosen to address this, because you've changed the "when" significantly when you shouldn't have. This is what @TheDeanAbides mentioned in the previous thread about how you really should avoid trying to diagnose your own problems at this stage. "Spinning out" with your hips was not the cause of an over the top move, its the overly stuck backswing position where you get your hands too far behind you and you HAVE to come over the top because there is nowhere else to go.

In the previous thread I mentioned having fast hips places a premium on not getting yourself into overly deep or stuck positions in the backswing because your hands will get stuck further. The fast hips were not really the problem, so the takeaway there was "keep your hands unstuck and be mindful of hip speed", but instead you've gone back to getting your hands way too stuck behind you again, something your previous videos have shown is an issue, and have also stopped using your hips in the correct sequence in response to this. This is like if someone warns you "hey make sure to drink extra water if you're going to finish that whole bottle of wine so you don't get a nasty headache" and your takeaway from this was to switch the wine to cocaine and drink even LESS water, lol.

It's feeling to me like you're focusing so much on coming from the inside and trying to hit draws that you're manufacturing the positions you think you need to do this instead of letting the development of correct fundamentals do that for you. The former virtually always results in doing the wrong thing and the latter allows whatever the "right" thing is to occur more naturally. Your swing could easily develop into one that is simply more suited to hit cuts, and trying to force draws will only serve to hurt that. Regardless, the task at hand is to get your hands back up to where they were before and undo whatever change you made to your lower body sequencing to get that back to where it was.

I think you’re right on a lot here. The hips spinning motion actually came from a lesson with a pro but I felt worse after that lesson, not better. Might be worth disregarding.

You’re probably right that I’m too fixated on swinging from the inside. It’s not that I care about a draw. In fact, both the courses I play regularly favour fades off the tee, for the most part. It’s more that I am absolutely fixated on putting the OTT in the grave, once and for all. I want to be completely confident in the feel of swinging more from the inside, whether that produces a draw, a fade or a straight shot I don’t care.

I’m really nervous about steepening the backswing since allowing myself to return to a flatter backswing produced instant results for me off the tee with driver and 5 wood. I’ve never really been able to ‘shallow’ and it’s always felt like if I pick the hands up, I’ll leave them up and swipe across it.

Here’s an example from 5 mins ago:

That’s why I feel trapped into using the flat backswing and slower hips. It’s the only way after 20 lessons and 18 months that I’ve found to avoid the OTT.

37 minutes ago, Luckydutch said:

I think you’re right on a lot here. The hips spinning motion actually came from a lesson with a pro but I felt worse after that lesson, not better. Might be worth disregarding.

You’re probably right that I’m too fixated on swinging from the inside. It’s not that I care about a draw. In fact, both the courses I play regularly favour fades off the tee, for the most part. It’s more that I am absolutely fixated on putting the OTT in the grave, once and for all. I want to be completely confident in the feel of swinging more from the inside, whether that produces a draw, a fade or a straight shot I don’t care.

I’m really nervous about steepening the backswing since allowing myself to return to a flatter backswing produced instant results for me off the tee with driver and 5 wood. I’ve never really been able to ‘shallow’ and it’s always felt like if I pick the hands up, I’ll leave them up and swipe across it.

Here’s an example from 5 mins ago:

That’s why I feel trapped into using the flat backswing and slower hips. It’s the only way after 20 lessons and 18 months that I’ve found to avoid the OTT.

Thanks for the follow up, I see what you're talking about but want to reframe a few things. This swing is steep, yes, but I wouldn't call it over the top. You're simply coming down on the same plane you went up, whereas "over the top" is a deliberate reroute to a steeper plane than you came up on. That probably doesn't make much of a difference to you, but you're much closer to something solid and serviceable with this swing than the previous, by far.

A couple questions. First, where do you feel like you're aiming in this video, or where are you trying to hit the ball?

image.png.f68898212bcd8bbc6f7804b9d5bf1e72.png

I ask because you're lined up down the right side of the range toward that arrow with your feet/shoulders, but you're pulling the ball along that red line, which looks like it is more down the center of the range. This is also were you seem to immediately look up to after hitting the ball. If your intent here is in fact to hit the ball down the center of the range then the only reason you feel over the top and steep is because you're lined up very closed to where you're trying to hit the ball, and literally all that is required is adjusting your setup to be more in line with your intended target. This is a super common issue btw, one that often goes overlooked.

Second question, or more of an observation related to the above:

LuckyDutchTrans3.gif.f84d3ab5b5d1c53f63d36358ca5b3e49.gif

If this was recent, as in after my last post, then you've done a great job of reverting back to your old movement here which is a much better sequence, so props for that. However this is where the alignment stuff can really be messing things up if i'm right about that. In the first three frames we see you shift into your left side and really start pushing that hip back which is great. However your hands go almost nowhere when they should simply be dropping in response to this hip movement, like you're just letting them fall. This is one the basic "correct" ways to shallow because it drops you down on to the plane you initially came up higher than in the backswing (basic two-plane swing concept). However if your intent is to hit the ball down the center of the range then correctly letting your hands fall and "shallowing" would actually prevent you from doing that since that would send the ball much more on line with where you're aiming. If i'm right about all that, then you're steep and "over the top" simply because you're aligned wrong, and that is needed is for you too adjust your body alignment to actually reflect where you want the ball to go.

Edited by Valtiel

Bridgestone 

39 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Thanks for the follow up, I see what you're talking about but want to reframe a few things. This swing is steep, yes, but I wouldn't call it over the top. You're simply coming down on the same plane you went up, whereas "over the top" is a deliberate reroute to a steeper plane than you came up on. That probably doesn't make much of a difference to you, but you're much closer to something solid and serviceable with this swing than the previous, by far.

A couple questions. First, where do you feel like you're aiming in this video, or where are you trying to hit the ball?

image.png.f68898212bcd8bbc6f7804b9d5bf1e72.png

I ask because you're lined up down the right side of the range toward that arrow with your feet/shoulders, but you're pulling the ball along that red line, which looks like it is more down the center of the range. This is also were you seem to immediately look up to after hitting the ball. If your intent here is in fact to hit the ball down the center of the range then the only reason you feel over the top and steep is because you're lined up very closed to where you're trying to hit the ball, and literally all that is required is adjusting your setup to be more in line with your intended target. This is a super common issue btw, one that often goes overlooked.

Second question, or more of an observation related to the above:

LuckyDutchTrans3.gif.f84d3ab5b5d1c53f63d36358ca5b3e49.gif

If this was recent, as in after my last post, then you've done a great job of reverting back to your old movement here which is a much better sequence, so props for that. However this is where the alignment stuff can really be messing things up if i'm right about that. In the first three frames we see you shift into your left side and really start pushing that hip back which is great. However your hands go almost nowhere when they should simply be dropping in response to this hip movement, like you're just letting them fall. This is one the basic "correct" ways to shallow because it drops you down on to the plane you initially came up higher than in the backswing (basic two-plane swing concept). However if your intent is to hit the ball down the center of the range then correctly letting your hands fall and "shallowing" would actually prevent you from doing that since that would send the ball much more on line with where you're aiming. If i'm right about all that, then you're steep and "over the top" simply because you're aligned wrong, and that is needed is for you too adjust your body alignment to actually reflect where you want the ball to go.

Thanks so much for the continued help!

To answer: yes, my target line was out to the right. Towards the white pole which is about 160 yards out.

I do have a bad habit of following the ball with my eyes rather than keeping my head down which is something I’m also trying to stamp out of my chipping but this is perhaps why I look left. The ball was heading very left immediately.

I can see the swing looks more like a good swing here but the killer just seems to be the club head crosses past the hands (horizontally) too early and at that point I’m dead. An out-to-in steep path is inevitable.

Its even worse with the woods which we’re on fire two weeks ago.

Here are one of my best efforts with disconnected/unstuck arms and fast hips since your message today:

All my attempts with woods today were  disasters, outcome-wise.

If it helps for comparison, this was a warm-up swing from a few weeks ago when I was smashing the woods with the swing thought of dropping the arms and finishing more out to the right of target:

Smashed a 298 yard drive on the first that day. My best ever, still to this day.

If I look at Tiger whose swing I like because it’s pretty on plane and he doesn’t do any crazy manipulations. I notice two big things:

1) He gets the hands really low quite early but somehow manages to do this and rotate his hips without the club head getting out ahead of the hands

6C0064B7-143B-4E45-A1AF-96C73CBB28D9.jpeg.03ec9fab1bd2ef71ea889ce88f637c20.jpeg

2) Through impact it looks like his arms/hands are pushing down towards the ball but his rotation means his left shoulder is actually on the rise and that’s presumable how he avoids drilling the club into the ground?

B5E4CCD3-6D75-4FDB-8EDE-84F4210FE432.jpeg.74f395b50f670c7c6d6c1a36403dbe45.jpeg

I find it so hard to achieve any of this with any consistency.

E388DED4-A94F-4646-B1A8-E3D97AABE3D7.jpeg

A28E1FBD-87A5-42A3-8AFB-345ED7C94C85.jpeg

Edited by Luckydutch

Thinking about that whole pushing down on the ball thing helped a little with the irons and I hit some OK-ish ones like that

Bit thin and a push but serviceable. That swing thought seemed very detrimental to the wood though. I was hitting down and chunking it rather than sweeping it off the tee.

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

*Makes a mental note to switch to cocaine…*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The biggest thing you need to understand to make any real progress is that you cannot chase good shots at this stage. So many of your posts say things like “I changed this thing and hit some good shots” or “I tried this thing you mentioned and hit bad shots, so I tried this instead”. 

I’m paraphrasing, but you get the idea. If you chase results ball by ball or even bucket by bucket you are DOOMED to a life of golf misery. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides

28 minutes ago, Luckydutch said:

Thinking about that whole pushing down on the ball thing helped a little with the irons and I hit some OK-ish ones like that

Bit thin and a push but serviceable. That swing thought seemed very detrimental to the wood though. I was hitting down and chunking it rather than sweeping it off the tee.

This video is interesting as it has a very different downswing plane, pretty neutral overall. Whatever feel you had here is a good one.

I think one of the big problems is that you're clearly capable of high speeds but without the solid fundamentals and feel the develop with time you're destined to do a lot of wild stuff until you get there. I'm afraid i'll only have you chasing your tail with just words on a forum so a good hands-on instructor that can help you develop those fundamentals is what's necessary. Attempting to implement suggestions on a forum at this stage, no matter what they are, is probably not the way to go right now. In the meantime i'd encourage a commitment to doing and practicing things slowly, frustratingly so at times.. You have a lot of speed, but it's clear based on the variety of different swings you're making and the erratic contact that your speed is (understandably) uncontrolled at this stage.  Lots of 1/2 and 3/4 feeling shots when working on improving, because if you can't hit those consistently and solidly then full swings are out of the question. I still hit plenty of them every time I practice because it's a reminder to focus on sequencing and NOT overpowering every swing you're making for max yardage. 300y drives are fun but no 20-30hc'er is accomplishing those with consistent mechanics, and like Dean said above, improvement won't come is that is how you're measuring success.

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Bridgestone 

32 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The biggest thing you need to understand to make any real progress is that you cannot chase good shots at this stage. So many of your posts say things like “I changed this thing and hit some good shots” or “I tried this thing you mentioned and hit bad shots, so I tried this instead”. 

I’m paraphrasing, but you get the idea. If you chase results ball by ball or even bucket by bucket you are DOOMED to a life of golf misery. 

Hah you’re probably right.

I try to get ‘quality’ practice rather than just smashing balls and I record every swing, watch it back etc. but maybe that’s too extreme as I’m changing stuff from shot to shot.

The situation I was referring to there was just that for a short while I really felt like things were ‘clicking’. I played two of hardest courses I’ve ever played in the same week and scored well on the first and actually smashed my person best on the second. Irons were poor but I was so good (by my standards) off the tee with driver and 5 wood that I was having tonnes of fun and scoring well.

20 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

This video is interesting as it has a very different downswing plane, pretty neutral overall. Whatever feel you had here is a good one.

I think one of the big problems is that you're clearly capable of high speeds but without the solid fundamentals and feel the develop with time you're destined to do a lot of wild stuff until you get there. I'm afraid i'll only have you chasing your tail with just words on a forum so a good hands-on instructor that can help you develop those fundamentals is what's necessary. Attempting to implement suggestions on a forum at this stage, no matter what they are, is probably not the way to go right now. In the meantime i'd encourage a commitment to doing and practicing things slowly, frustratingly so at times.. You have a lot of speed, but it's clear based on the variety of different swings you're making and the erratic contact that your speed is (understandably) uncontrolled at this stage.  Lots of 1/2 and 3/4 feeling shots when working on improving, because if you can't hit those consistently and solidly then full swings are out of the question. I still hit plenty of them every time I practice because it's a reminder to focus on sequencing and NOT overpowering every swing you're making for max yardage. 300y drives are fun but no 20-30hc'er is accomplishing those with consistent mechanics, and like Dean said above, improvement won't come is that is how you're measuring success.

OK, I’ll keep that swing thought going with the irons. I feel like that combined with returning to faster rotation was helping there.

Good advice about the shorter/slower swings. I’m definitely guilty of doing nothing but smashing it when I practice. Hard to force yourself to slow it down but useful for training purposes.

Do you have any idea why the 5 wood was going so wrong? The swing looks quite nicely on-plane but then it looks like it was skied off the top of the club and also chunked at the same time? Ball position a bit too far back perhaps?

2 hours ago, Luckydutch said:

Hah you’re probably right.

I try to get ‘quality’ practice rather than just smashing balls and I record every swing, watch it back etc. but maybe that’s too extreme as I’m changing stuff from shot to shot.

The situation I was referring to there was just that for a short while I really felt like things were ‘clicking’. I played two of hardest courses I’ve ever played in the same week and scored well on the first and actually smashed my person best on the second. Irons were poor but I was so good (by my standards) off the tee with driver and 5 wood that I was having tonnes of fun and scoring well.

There’s no probably about it. Improvement is only had by practicing the correct movements thousands of times at slowly increasing speeds. 

It’s like learning a new solo on guitar. Firstly you do it VERY slowly and correctly and then you build up speed. 

Drill the movements at home with a mirror. That stuff pays HUGE dividends and I’ve yet to see anyone fail to be amazed at the difference it makes.

Well, it was a game of two halves.

18A7166D-07C3-4782-B157-05FA6EE80F3C.jpeg.b10ec6dd39ab61f488e917a532d803ec.jpeg

First half I was really trying to play the correct way but it was just a shambles so for the sake of my sanity I swapped back for the second half to what was working for me a few weeks ago (flatter swing, drop hands, finish high and through rather than rotating round). The biggest difference was the driver and I managed to go 11 over on the back 9 which is really good for me.

That round not withstanding, I’m still determined to implement the correct techniques. My father in law said something interesting which was that I tend to leave my trail elbow back in the downswing which causes me to extend my hands away from me rather than down by my side.

I looked back at those images of tiger this morning and noticed that does seem to be a noticeable difference between him and myself at shaft parallel.

34A577B0-B8BB-4A13-9565-6538EF40ECE4.jpeg.42a1b17fa504dba5795ca4b1681832b6.jpeg36E149B5-B622-430C-AF05-5FAF619D641B.jpeg.9e3957f1c62a0ecff2ad3069c4108f8b.jpeg

His shoulder is tucked forward and his left forearm is kind of externally rotated right as a result. Mine is hanging more freely from the shoulder and my forearm is pointing more out in front of me.

@Valtiel is that something I should be working on/thinking about?

Not able to go to the range today but had a go aiming at leaves and even with very high and not very deep hands, which would normally be very difficult for me to shallow, I managed to create a path that looks reasonably neutral.

Feels a bit uncomfortable as my arms can’t swing freely but it looks kind of OK.

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You’re stuck because your sequence is off. You’re opening up way too early. Look at your foot and shoulders compared to how quiet Rory is here.

6BF4FDAA-0876-4881-AEC3-A8DE0DC20510.jpeg.d9b1f8502b1ea4c4d571147945f9e54b.jpeg

But I want to lead with the lower body, right?

I find it extremely hard to lead with the hips without firing the hips and them in turn dragging the body to rotate very fast.

I can swing with slightly quieter hips and faster arms but then I’m quite sure you’d tell me my sequencing was wrong because now I am leading with the hands not the hips.

Cant seem to find that balance between leading with the hips but not blasting open.

2 hours ago, Luckydutch said:

But I want to lead with the lower body, right?

I find it extremely hard to lead with the hips without firing the hips and them in turn dragging the body to rotate very fast.

I can swing with slightly quieter hips and faster arms but then I’m quite sure you’d tell me my sequencing was wrong because now I am leading with the hands not the hips.

Cant seem to find that balance between leading with the hips but not blasting open.

It will be almost impossible for you to lead with the hands. Monte talks about this all the time. In fact try. You’re an experienced golfer - your lower body will move when you move your hands and arms. Do some Justin Rose drills.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, Valtiel said:

Notice the right wrist position  at the top between the before and after. In the first gif, the right wrist is hinging much more naturally and vertically. In the second gif, the right wrist is in a bad spot, too much like you're holding a serving tray. This probably because you have gotten too shallow and you are forcing the wrist to hinge that way. this will impeded the club from naturally unhinging during your swing. Subconsciously, you may be manipulating your hands/wrists to make contact, throwing the club and having chunky shots.

Agree 100% with the Justin rose drills, with an emphasis on slower transition so the club "falls for the top" and extremely light grip pressure and passive upper body.