MEMBER REVIEWS: Edel SMS Irons! See What Members Are Saying!

edelmembertesting.jpg.dce2029271587903c0ec04eb627679fb.jpg

We are lucky to have 3 member testing out the new Edel SMS irons and ready to report back to you! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have to these testers! The members providing reviews are...

@golfinbrad

@pxthree

@i3aker19

To see more on the new Edel SMS irons, click HERE!

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Edel Golf for putting on this great testing event!

A BIG THANKS TO GOLFWRX & EDEL.  Here is a little background about myself.  I'm am in my late 40s and carrying a 3 handicap.  My handicap was lower, but have been dealing with a elbow issue for the past 3 seasons.  This year it has really limited my play and practice time and as a result my handicap has been climbing.  My doctor recommend changing to graphite, so the timing was perfect!!!!  I ordered with i95 Steelfiber shafts, which are definitely lighter than I'm used to, but need to make the change.  My previous gamers were PXG Gen 2 P irons with Tour Elevate x100 shafts.  Iron play is the strongest part of my game.  Curious how the adjustable weights impact both and performance.  Kind of surprised it was thought of before.  

I am super excited about this opportunity!!!!  They clubs did arrive today and look awesome!!!!  It isn't real significant, but the box was a nice touch.  Like it better than the PXG ones.  Thanks to Edel for the hat as well.  I will be following with some iron setup comparisons, play thoughts and launch monitor data.  Feel free to ask questions.  Thanks again!!!!!

IMG_20221114_155045221.jpg.41ba90a5d01367800853d9d7f9c9c20c.jpgIMG_20221114_155224340.jpg.461c4bf8802961d3b19b4702804f67c5.jpgIMG_20221114_155231776_HDR.jpg.637ae9730e74399ff113704cbb176467.jpgIMG_20221114_155302909.jpg.5deb80ab24f25a2134c1a9abb397a47c.jpgIMG_20221114_155308912.jpg.a1ef7bd8ca9e3112ffe2583e888c5d54.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats to those chosen, interested in hearing about them!

1 hour ago, golfinbrad said:

A BIG THANKS TO GOLFWRX & EDEL.  Here is a little background about myself.  I'm am in my late 40s and carrying a 3 handicap.  My handicap was lower, but have been dealing with a elbow issue for the past 3 seasons.  This year it has really limited my play and practice time and as a result my handicap has been climbing.  My doctor recommend changing to graphite, so the timing was perfect!!!!  I ordered with i95 Steelfiber shafts, which are definitely lighter than I'm used to, but need to make the change.  My previous gamers were PXG Gen 2 P irons with Tour Elevate x100 shafts.  Iron play is the strongest part of my game.  Curious how the adjustable weights impact both and performance.  Kind of surprised it was thought of before.  

I am super excited about this opportunity!!!!  They clubs did arrive today and look awesome!!!!  It isn't real significant, but the box was a nice touch.  Like it better than the PXG ones.  Thanks to Edel for the hat as well.  I will be following with some iron setup comparisons, play thoughts and launch monitor data.  Feel free to ask questions.  Thanks again!!!!!

IMG_20221114_155045221.jpg.41ba90a5d01367800853d9d7f9c9c20c.jpgIMG_20221114_155224340.jpg.461c4bf8802961d3b19b4702804f67c5.jpgIMG_20221114_155231776_HDR.jpg.637ae9730e74399ff113704cbb176467.jpgIMG_20221114_155302909.jpg.5deb80ab24f25a2134c1a9abb397a47c.jpgIMG_20221114_155308912.jpg.a1ef7bd8ca9e3112ffe2583e888c5d54.jpg

You will love the switch to graphite, but the change in going lighter may take some time to get used to. I find it may help to go to a heavier swingweight than you may be used to. These irons should help you acheive that with it’s interchangeable weights. Are those “Edel” stickers on the shafts?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

You will love the switch to graphite, but the change in going lighter may take some time to get used to. I find it may help to go to a heavier swingweight than you may be used to. These irons should help you acheive that with it’s interchangeable weights. Are those “Edel” stickers on the shafts?

Thanks.  I sure hope so.  Lighter will require me to smooth down the transition, which is not a bad thing as well.  I'll see how this goes, but might reach out to Edel seeing if they have different weights.  That would be even better!!!!! 

40 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Sorry.  Yes, it is an Edel sticker.

1 hour ago, golfinbrad said:

Thanks.  I sure hope so.  Lighter will require me to smooth down the transition, which is not a bad thing as well.  I'll see how this goes, but might reach out to Edel seeing if they have different weights.  That would be even better!!!!! 

Id just play around with lead tape if you are struggling with timing/contact after a few sessions. If you find that combo that works, then see about getting some weights. Would be a good thing to find out for us though, if they have weights to purchase to change things up. Other irons like callaway, its almost impossible to get them.

• Like 1

I would like to start by extending a HUGE THANK YOU to GolfWRX and to Edel for the opportunity to test and review their new SMS irons!  It’s hard to believe I was selected amongst so many great registrants and for that I’m beyond grateful.  Edel was kind enough to match my current iron shafts which were on backorder; however, they should be shipping soon.  I will be sure to follow-up with initial impressions, photos, build details, and a more detailed test plan upon arrival. 

In the meantime, a little about my game.  I may be the mid handicap of the test group at a 13.  Iron play is generally pretty good, and my scores typically suffer from a few errant tee shots per side that cost me dropped shots.  I tend to have more of a toe side miss and am looking forward to testing the SMS irons with the Swing Match Weighting in different positions to see potential impacts to quality of strike and ball flight.  Initial plan is to do a mix of both indoor testing and on course play to compare different setups while being open to member feedback along the way.  Stay tuned and I can’t wait to get started!!!  Again, many thanks for this opportunity!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Id just play around with lead tape if you are struggling with timing/contact after a few sessions. If you find that combo that works, then see about getting some weights. Would be a good thing to find out for us though, if they have weights to purchase to change things up. Other irons like callaway, its almost impossible to get them.

When ordering the irons, additional weights are available in 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 grams as singles or packs of 8.  

• Thanks 1

Singles were $6 and 8 packs $40. Pretty reasonable IMO and nice they make them available. I couldn’t see how to order them separate from when purchasing the set of irons so I may give them a call. Picked up one of their Edel BB&F repair tools to match the iron ferrules (pic below) and will see if I can add a few different weights to my order. 

920BF8C9-20B2-42E6-9DB5-0390B96DE157.jpeg.43e5ceb3752a3a8799418cd696516e84.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, i3aker19 said:

Singles were $6 and 8 packs $40. Pretty reasonable IMO and nice they make them available. I couldn’t see how to order them separate from when purchasing the set of irons so I may give them a call. Picked up one of their Edel BB&F repair tools to match the iron ferrules (pic below) and will see if I can add a few different weights to my order. 

920BF8C9-20B2-42E6-9DB5-0390B96DE157.jpeg.43e5ceb3752a3a8799418cd696516e84.jpeg

Yeah, didn't see them on their website but nice to know they have them just in case I want to change the SW.  Good info 

Ugly day here is PA.  Mid 30s and wintry mix.  I was able to snap a few pics. 

This pic shows the Edel 6 & 8 irons compared to a Titleist AP2 (6) and Ping i5 (8).

IMG_20221115_132049316_HDR.jpg.0bf2e6733d329c262dfa79bed4afb538.jpg

Ping 8 on the left Edel 8 on the right

IMG_20221115_132146484.jpg.f58749a3e0c8a3d357f9b7d910764005.jpg

Titleist 6 on the left and Edel 6 on the right.

IMG_20221115_132121104.jpg.50d7a734c38240e179e41bcf4b534833.jpg

Edel 6 setup

IMG_20221115_132229040.jpg.bf48bf79441b2a34519c64b5e8f0f256.jpg

• Like 4

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO GOLFWRX & EDEL.  I'm happy to have been selected as a tester for these irons and looking forward to reporting back here for all of the members.

I recently turned 40 and I am a 13 handicap.  I currently play with Apex irons and have been very happy with them. I also play with Edel SMS wedges which is why I'm very excited to try these irons out. The Edel wedges have been the best I've personally ever used. 

We just got back from vacation and I'm looking forward to getting started with the review and pictures. Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks again to Edel and GolfWRX for this opportunity.  I absolutely love the looks of these irons, especially how they frame the ball.  Coming from PXG Gen 2 P irons, the SLS soles are more narrow or traditional compared to PXG.  The top line of the SLS is slightly thinner, but not blade thin.  The specs for both show the offsets being very close, but for some reason the Edel's look to have less.  My guess is the top line towards the heel does not have a steep of a drop to the hosel as the others.  You can see what I'm talking about in the pics above.  Edel SLS irons are considered a players distance irons, which is accurate being a 2 piece design with fill on the inside.  However, standing over them they look like a traditional one piece iron.  I was able to get them out to the range.  First time I've hit balls in 3 weeks and making a significant shaft change, it took a few to get in a groove.  They are solid.  Really nice feel on well struck balls and gives you plenty of feedback on miss strikes.  I was launching them higher than my PXG's, but pretty sure that had more to do with the shafts.  I did not have time to mess around with the weights, but will be using the course's simulator Thanksgiving weekend.  I will post my results hitting 4, 7 and PW with each weight setting.  Curious what the numbers look like.  Hard to tell how the distances were on the range compared to what I'm used too.  More to come.............

• 2 weeks later...

Got the irons on the course today.  They are a solid stick.  The have a firmer overall feel, while maintaining a ton of feed back.  A perfect strike does not have that butter feel of a 1 piece forged club, but you can tell it was a perfect strike.  As mentioned above the irons had Steelfiber shafts vs the Tour Elevates in my other set, so there was a difference in flight.  I will measure the swing weight in the next day or so to see how the compare to my PXG Gen 2 Ps.  The PXG have a heavier head feel for sure, but SW can easily be adjusted, especially with their weight concept.  PXGs have a softer feel on solid strike, but a much harsher feel on mishit.  I do think the Edel's are more forgiving on mishits. 

Will get these on the simulator this week to compare the different weight settings.  I those numbers as well.  So far so good. 

• Like 2

Got a look at these at Golfdom in Tysons Corner, Va. They have one set. I think they look super from address. I like that they look a bit squat instead of longer blade length. 

I put them in address position vs a few other irons in the store. Preferred the Edel over the Ping i230. I like the shape more. It looks smaller, but also friendlier. And for a hollow/filled head, Edel did a great job with the aggressive trailing edge relief. The soles are quite nice, not wide like a lot of hollow heads. If they are as forgiving as reports say, definitely a players iron worth a look. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Contest winners : If you find that you need some weights PM me.  Gotta take care of my fellow WRX'ers😎

@golfinbrad @pxthree @i3aker19

Edited by J13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

6 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Got a look at these at Golfdom in Tysons Corner, Va. They have one set. I think they look super from address. I like that they look a bit squat instead of longer blade length. 

I put them in address position vs a few other irons in the store. Preferred the Edel over the Ping i230. I like the shape more. It looks smaller, but also friendlier. And for a hollow head, Edel did a great job with the aggressive trailing edge relief. The soles are quite nice, not wide like a lot of hollow heads. If they are as forgiving as reports say, definitely a players iron worth a look. 

I agree the looks are awesome.  Not bulky at address.  Plan on getting to the simulator this weekend for some numbers.  The couple times I've used them, they seem very forgiving.

We (Edel) recommend you hit 5 shots with the heavy weight (red ring) in each location.  If you can get numbers even better but you will start to see what kind of bias you need in irons.  You might be surprised by what you see, Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

1 minute ago, J13 said:

We (Edel) recommend you hit 5 shots with the heavy weight (red ring) in each location.  If you can get numbers even better but you will start to see what kind of bias you need in irons.  You might be surprised by what you see, Enjoy!

Curious to see how it plays out.  Have you seen anyone prefer the weights in different locations within the same set?  Like middle on long irons and toe on short.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J13 said:

Thanks for the offer J13!  I called after placing my order for the divot tool to add some additional weights and Edel customer service was kind enough to throw them in. So I now have two 4g 6g and 10g weights in hand to play around with once the clubs arrive.

Plan is to get through some initial testing with a heavy weight in each position and maybe mix it up from there. I prefer some SW progression through the set so I’ll likely start with the 10g in the P and G wedges. Seems the SW customization is nearly endless with all the weight options. 

Really looking forward to getting started to see the impacts from the different weight positions. Curious to see if the impacts are more on shot shape or strike.  

Anyone have any thoughts or guesses?

2 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Curious to see how it plays out.  Have you seen anyone prefer the weights in different locations within the same set?  Like middle on long irons and toe on short.

I’m curious about this in the long irons as well. I tend to fade my longer irons more or more easily so I wonder if it might be beneficial to have the heavy weight in the heel on say just the 4 & 5 iron to allow the toe to release more easily even if the weight positions are better in another location through the rest of the set. 

I have to say, I’m looking out the window every time I hear a delivery truck these days hoping they’ll have an Edel box in hand!! 😉

13 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Yes we have.  We have to be careful not to overwhelm people with info but the longer the club (length wise) the more angle of attack can change and a few other things. It's not the norm but we've seen it and these irons give you that option. 

Again this is golf, it's meant to be fun.  Try different combo's out and go down the rabbit hole!  Just be careful to leave some bread crumbs so you know how to get back.  Working for Edel I've had these for a while so I went DEEP down the rabbit hole and damn near lost my game haha 🤣

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

1 minute ago, J13 said:

Yes we have.  We have to be careful not to overwhelm people with info but the longer the club (length wise) the more angle of attack can change and a few other things. It's not the norm but we've seen it and these irons give you that option. 

Again this is golf, it's meant to be fun.  Try different combo's out and go down the rabbit hole!  Just be careful to leave some bread crumbs so you know how to get back.  Working for Edel I've had these for a while so I went DEEP down the rabbit hole and damn near lost my game haha 🤣

HAHAHAHA.  I know exactly where you are coming from!!!!  One more question.  My plan is to hit the 4, 7 and PW on the simulator with all 3 settings.  Do you recommend I do all 3 clubs with one setting, then all 3 again with another, etc. or should I focus on 1 iron at a time trying all 3?  Hope this makes sense.  I'm curious how you all handle a fitting.  Would like to do my testing in a similar fashion.

I was able to get on the simulator today.  Thanks to Carroll Valley golf course for their help.  They have a Foresight GC2 launch monitor, but it was being temperamental and some of the numbers were not available.  I will go back in a couple weeks just to validate what I have and also see if I get the same results on different day. 

I used the same ball on every swing (Callaway Chrome Soft), hit approx. 5 balls with the 4i, 7i and PW with each weight setting.  I started hitting all clubs with weight in the middle, then heel and toe last.  Below are the averages. 

Club Weight Position  Ball Speed   Carry Total   Launch Angle   Yards Offline 
4 Toe              129.15                 207.50                    13.78               3.05
4 Middle              130.27                 212.33                    14.93               3.53
4 Heel              129.43                 207.33                    13.27               2.69

7 Toe              121.48                 176.50                    18.48               2.45
7 Middle              118.38                 175.75                    19.68               4.45
7 Heel              120.22                 176.67                    18.53               3.47

PW Toe              103.73                 141.67                    29.67               4.45
PW Middle                 96.20                 129.75                    26.85               3.28
PW Heel              102.63                 136.33                    26.23

You can see some obvious differences, especially with the PW.  My first 2 clubs were 7 and PW with weight in the middle, so not sure if that explains the differences.  I do scratch my head on these and want to try again just to be sure.  The swing did feel a little off, but think that is a good time to test.  How will they perform on off days.  From this session, it seems the weight in the toe position created the best results in the PW and 7i, and middle in the 4i.

There is no question moving the weight around does have an impact on the performance.  I did not notice any difference in feel from one position to another.  As mentioned earlier, I am moving from the Tour Elevate shafts to Steelfibers that are about 20 grams lighter, which is an adjustment.  I was seeing a slight fade, which is not my normal flight, but was not upset with it.  Very playable.  I think that is way the weight in the toe seemed to work best.  More to come.........

Edited by golfinbrad
  • Like 3

Had a pretty busy weekend so was not able to play but spent the tail end of it cleaning up a plethora of Christmas boxes and putting them back up in the attic. December is not typically a clean garage month but I was determined to make room to get some swings in. I have a hitting net, R10 and Awesome Golf that I’ll be using to aid in the review process.

For tonight, I only hit GW to get a feel for the club and to try moving the weights to see what would happen, if anything. I also hit my current gamer Apex 21 AW.  The Edel felt a little softer off the face which I liked but still very solid and had a more rounded toe shape.

Here are some screenshots of the graphics/data. 

Red - Edel Middle (2-8-2)

Green - Edel Toe (2-2-8)

Yellow - Edel Heel (8-2-2)

Blue - Apex 21

69FA182E-DCBD-48C7-8DF8-1CEF60B6AFC8.png.baae57e82b1fb52a21717a94fd34d362.png

A0FAA417-588E-4B11-91B2-B43BF967A0BA.png.51888a4af15f301e194472edc7f2b90c.png

4F01F96F-A135-498F-B40B-95A4559C188F.png.44bdf4cc9337bd4b8af5ca76828ac257.png

810F45B8-5338-4D32-A740-988465E5E78D.png.f28e489e7f59a38f7463819ece3d9cda.png

F801EE34-9B62-4652-A676-BA2FAD5F534A.png.5530e13ceb7ff4d766422374d19b1360.png

89492690-AAF5-45CB-93F9-45035B463D15.png.16668024b248536e7c9c8bff69a06404.png

14193C88-45F2-45D0-AE2D-5E63B6EAD72C.png.af306d55d3dce30fa3b757effd8af6a6.png

70C2F3C6-0EA2-4CEF-9C12-40E0052FB195.png.9079fad710b9a376cb84b8c6876b6608.png

63F5DBD2-1CFA-4F19-A89D-1DC97FCBF154.png.ae132ba933229be0633b6b54245602dc.png

CFF341F3-A9BD-4A09-83CA-5CA5F411DC2D.png.a7ca43e8c885030e1e633e3b3137b54c.png

I think we can see the weight adjustments do have an impact.  I had expected the weight in the toe would be my best setup; however, the weight in the heel provided the best dispersion pattern and offline distance was also lowest.  Spin was also up which should be good for a wedge. 

This is only one club on no warmup so I won’t jump to any conclusions but it does seem there will be more to consider than just distance and ball speed. Note Shot #8 in the Edel Toe setting was a pretty large outlier and probably should have been deleted but I’m still learning the software. I’ve since figured out how to delete shots so plan to address this in future tests. 

So far, the Edel GW performed very well and felt really good so I’m excited to hit the rest of the set.  I have a Scramble event this coming Saturday so will get the full Edel SMS set on course then and report back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a short range session yesterday.  Still enjoying the irons.  The weights do make a difference, but can become an obsession if you're a tinkerer like me.  Hopefully I will soon get them dialed in and leave them.  Right now it floats between middle and toe. 

A buddy of mine showed up and was looking at them.  He was asking a lot of questions and ultimately hit the 7 iron.  He probably hit 70 balls with it, which is more than I have so far.  His initial reaction was very similar to mine.  Loved the looks, especially at address.  Probably one of the more compact players distance or 2 piece design irons on the market.  He is about an 8 hdcp playing JPX923 irons.  The Edel's do have a harder feel than Mizuno, but nothing crazy.  Best he and I can describe is with a flushed Mizuno it feels super soft.  Almost like you can feel the ball compress into the iron and then leave.  These feel more like a hot driver where it is off super quick while still providing tons of feedback.  Distance wise he was hitting them the same or slightly longer than the JPXs.  We both like they don't have jacked up lofts or distances.  He absolutely flushed these with very little curve, which he liked.  He was giving them some serious consideration as he is looking to replace his irons.

There are a slew of positives, which I've noted in my reviews so far  There are a couple negatives as well.  One is brand recognition.  The majority of golfers have not heard of Edel.  People who are familiar know they are about quality and as good as anything on the market.  Limited to the places to try the clubs (could vary depending on where you live).  Lastly is the price.  They are on the more expensive end, but like anything else how much are you willing to pay and are you willing to pay a little more for something that works vs a cheaper traditional iron.  I'm not sure I would have been considered the SMS irons if I hadn't been selected.  Heck, I question if I would have even heard or seen them if I wasn't on GolfWRX.  That being said, I'm a now huge fan and they are not leaving my bag anytime soon.  Getting much better and more consistent results than with my PXGs.  I stand over these with a ton of confidence, which is what it is all about.  The idea of moving weights about in the irons is super smart and does work.  Makes for a quick alternation if I make any swing changes down the road.  I do believe if players to try them, they will like them.  More updates coming............   

• Like 1

Great feedback and yes the weight change, like a driver, plays a big role in closure rate.  The "feel" part is very subjective but in testing we had players that felt a big difference when moving from heel to toe or vice vera and some players not notice it as much. What did change were the numbers and optimal position based on the players swing.  

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Edel PROTO