LAB vs SIK

TimBuma

They're 2 completely different technologies what do you want to know specifically? 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

9 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

OK, hear me out... Lab golf putter with Sik descending loft technology AND Evnroll grooves. 🤯

The evnroll grooves would serve no purpose on our putter as it is already more forgiving on offcenter strikes than their stuff. At least on the DF, Max and Link. The SIK face is interesting though if I am totally honest, I think the industry is a little obsessed with "the roll". There has been so little innovation in putters that companies have had to figure out something they can tell a story about and faces have been the easy choice.. grooves, micro hinge, descending loft...I just don't see it having a huge (barely any?) impact on performance. They all certainly FEEL different and there is definitely merit to offering different feels and sounds but I have a hard time accepting that one is better than the other. now a self squaring putter on the other hand....;-)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, labgolf said:

The evnroll grooves would serve no purpose on our putter as it is already more forgiving on offcenter strikes than their stuff. At least on the DF, Max and Link. The SIK face is interesting though if I am totally honest, I think the industry is a little obsessed with "the roll". There has been so little innovation in putters that companies have had to figure out something they can tell a story about and faces have been the easy choice.. grooves, micro hinge, descending loft...I just don't see it having a huge (barely any?) impact on performance. They all certainly FEEL different and there is definitely merit to offering different feels and sounds but I have a hard time accepting that one is better than the other. now a self squaring putter on the other hand....;-)

Also as much as I enjoyed the SIK face the tech isn't new, Tear Drop has a bulged face and Bobby Grace's HSM insert is the same just an insert so it's around and completely different between these 3 brands and I'm sure there are probably some others that don't exist that did the same.

1 hour ago, littletimbo182 said:

Just seeing if anyone’s used both. What they may have liked or not liked with each.

I've had both I had a SIK Pro and a LAB B.2 both complete different putters.

The SIK I really enjoyed, but I didn't see anything overly ground breaking I just had a good amount of confidence over it just it fell out of favor as I changed preference of necks. But I rolled it well and honestly I don't know how much the face tech did help but the confidence I had was a big help.

The LAB B.2 you could definitely feel the tech they were talking about but it's a putter and same with all LAB putters you need to put in some practice with because you have to "Un-learn" you old ways and learn the LAB a bit to get the most out of it, mainly grip pressure and stroke length. I ditched the B.2 because just the look wasn't for me I was hoping for something else to come along and maybe I'll try the Mezz, even though I don't like mallets it's small enough.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Depends what shapes you like honestly. The LAB putters are all very unique, and there is really no way to know if you like them unless you buy.  SiK putters are more traditional looking headshapes, they offer multiple necks and weights. I don't buy into their putters as having "tech", but they make a nice wand.

Additionally, some LAB putters require their proprietary grips.  Once built, they shouldn't be altered in any way or else it throws off the "balance". 

For me, I would go the Sik route unless you can test the LAB models somewhere. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

9 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Also as much as I enjoyed the SIK face the tech isn't new, Tear Drop has a bulged face and Bobby Grace's HSM insert is the same just an insert so it's around and completely different between these 3 brands and I'm sure there are probably some others that don't exist that did the same.

The SIK I really enjoyed, but I didn't see anything overly ground breaking I just had a good amount of confidence over it just it fell out of favor as I changed preference of necks. But I rolled it well and honestly I don't know how much the face tech did help but the confidence I had was a big help.

The LAB B.2 you could definitely feel the tech they were talking about but it's a putter and same with all LAB putters you need to put in some practice with because you have to "Un-learn" you old ways and learn the LAB a bit to get the most out of it, mainly grip pressure and stroke length. I ditched the B.2 because just the look wasn't for me I was hoping for something else to come along and maybe I'll try the Mezz, even though I don't like mallets it's small enough.

I have the same experiences. I currently game a custom SIK Pro with a Paderson Kinetix shaft. I love the feel of the milled head on the Pro; that said, get fit and get your specs for any custom putter-well worth the money. I do believe the DLT on the SIK is beneficial to distance control. It's been in my bag for a couple years and is going to stay in my bag for the foreseeable future. For a frame of reference, I tend to try a couple putters per season...

I have also gamed the B.2 and DF 2.1. I loved the feel and results of the B.2, but never really felt comfortable over the ball with it. I rolled it really well and it feels extremely smooth.

I gave my DF 2.1 up to my mom after I let her try it out; she immediately fell in love with the feel and has been dropping putts like it's her job. I am currently saving my pennies for a new DF 2.1; it's a pretty big footprint, but putting is almost automatic once you get the feel for what it needs to  feel like. 

Using the 2.1 improved my putting with my SIK (or any other putter) because it provides feedback on what the feels are in your putting stroke. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MattM97 said:

You saw LINK.1?

4 hours ago, labgolf said:

You saw LINK.1?

I did will look at it a bit more maybe wait of you have some on the outlet site. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 months later...

Sik is now LA golf. I think in many ways it is a decision if you like the feel of a zero torque putter. It made all the difference for me. I found every other putter I tried in addition to my gamer Bettinardi felt like they wanted to move during my back swing. The LAB just feels better because it is so easy to stroke and hit the ball straight. My only problem now has nothing to do with the putt stroke but it turn out I suck at reading putts. I never knew that before because I always was blaming my putter stroke for miss hits. Now I have no miss hits and have to learn how to read a green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Remember, one of the founders at SIK used to work in Bobby Grace’s shop, and SIK altered the design slightly to create loft “zones.”  The Grace putters have a radial face, which I prefer because it is radial.

I do think his insert makes a tremendous difference in performance in two ways, not only with less skid but in how putts hit off-center still get to the hole due to the insert design and rebound on mishits. I’m not buying anything from LA Golf regardless, the prices are insane for a putter, but I think the Grace putters are more for me. They aren’t about “perfecting” your stroke to work with the putter design, they work by making imperfect strokes still get solid results. The number of strokes I make that are pretty good but not perfect is significant and always will be, but I don’t need to worry about that and can just putt and that help is very nice. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I'd like to insert my opinion here in this topic just because I feel like everyone here loves the LAB tech and im not totally in love with it. Disclaimer I feel like I was fit into a putter waaaaay too flat for what i need so I am really aiming my peen to take a wizz when i putt (its just a weird place for my hands at 66* lie angle.) Either way, when I felt I was the most in tune with the LAB putter I was still skidding the putts, so its not like they were set up to roll the ball perfectly. I feel like when I hit the Bett faces or SIK faces they get the ball rolling quicker, but could also be the better lie/lofts for me

• Like 1

I have tried every putter under the sun and I love the Lab Mezz1.  For me, I couldn’t get distance control right with the Mezz1.  I was coming up short with the LAB.  When I switched to the SIK (LA Golf) I was getting the putts closer to the hole and a lot of times past it (comfortable distance).  I am not sure if me leaving them short was the putter or me but I gave it a good few months.  The LA Golf (SIK Pro DW) is going back in the bag and we will see.  If @labgolf thinks of something and wants me to drive five hours to get a fitting I would love to have a battle for the bag for my upcoming season I would do it in a heartbeat!  My 30 year (military) retirement is coming and it would be a great opportunity.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On 4/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, golowgolf801 said:

I agree but think it takes some time to adjust to LAB. 

Takes some time and costs to adjust a LAB. That’s a big drawback, you can not bend the loft and lie without reweighting. Maybe that is the reason beside they wont pay players for using them as you can not tourbus them quickly. So you need to know your lie and loft exactly and it better not change especially if you are outside the US. Changing the grip as I often read is a bad idea. I have three LABs and none of them match my stroke anymore. Now do you feel the difference? Yes you do absolutely. Will you putt better? Not necessarily, it will not cure a mistake in your stroke but you may grip it lighter which can be an advantage. With strong but even medium dont kill the bird grip in my opinion the putters torque is quite eliminated. The built in forward press was not a good idea its just confusing to the brain even if it works. Glad its dropped with the Link1

I will revisit a LAB putter if they can balance a heel shafted putter. I just need to see the head visually opening and closing, but that may be just me.

A good idea would be to assist customers in changing the weighting if the putter is changed. Like I changed to lie angle 69 from 67, add 3g of tungsten under Screw 2 and 3. Its patented and may not giving out secrets.