2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway OptiFit 2 Hosel Settings/Specs

stuman74

I couldn't find my reference for this and wanted to see if someone could verify if it is accurate.

For the Callaway OptiFit 2 hosel settings, is this correct regarding what each does for lie and face angle?

N = Neutral = Driver Head Spec Lie Angle

D = Draw = 2* Upright Lie Angle

-1 = -1* Loft = Open Face Angle

S = Driver Head Spec Loft = Neutral Face Angle

+1 = +1* Loft = Closed Face Angle

+2 = +2* Loft = Even More Closed Face Angle

Compared to TaylorMade hosel adjustments, I wonder if there's also an angle for how much open/closed the face becomes?

Thanks!

Edited by stuman74

Yes that info is correct. Callaway has never officially released the specs on face angle so unless someone had/has a digital laser loft machine thing like the big OEMs have in their production facilities I doubt anyone would know exactly.

I think roughly based on the math the face angle is a 1:1 ratio? I might be thinking of something else but thats what pops into my head.

• Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

5 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I think roughly based on the math the face angle is a 1:1 ratio? I might be thinking of something else but thats what pops into my head.

Thanks.  For TaylorMade, per their chart, it looks like loft vs face angle is a 1:2 ratio.  But I have no idea if that is typical for Callaway as well or just for the TM setup.

image.png.b44e3945aea7d8e0982c73ffdbfc07b0.png

1 minute ago, stuman74 said:

Thanks.  For TaylorMade, per their chart, it looks like loft vs face angle is a 1:2 ratio.  But I have no idea if that is typical for Callaway as well or just for the TM setup.

Here is Titleist and it's all over the place, so it may depend on the adapter's geometry;

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I’ve just bought a Callaway Paradym Triple diamond and am a novice to the optimist hozel. 

My issue is with the lie part of the hozel. All the videos and material I’ve read shows the optifit having two lie settings: N & D. My hozel has four: N, D, S & +1. This has me immensely confused. 

Can anybody shed any light on these extra settings?

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Tigerburns said:

Hi,

I’ve just bought a Callaway Paradym Triple diamond and am a novice to the optimist hozel. 

My issue is with the lie part of the hozel. All the videos and material I’ve read shows the optifit having two lie settings: N & D. My hozel has four: N, D, S & +1. This has me immensely confused. 

Can anybody shed any light on these extra settings?

Thanks

You don't have a -1 or +2 on yours???

4 hours ago, stuman74 said:

You don't have a -1 or +2 on yours???

I do on the loft “cog”. Both cogs are as follows:

Loft cog: -1, S, +1, +2

Lie: N, D, S, +1

This seems odd compared to standard optifit material that I have read. In addition to that, I cannot align the Draw setting on the Lie cog with either the S or +1 loft settings, only -1 or +2. Is it possible that the fitting place that I had the club fitted has incorrectly installed the optifit? 

I found this post helpful:

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

36 minutes ago, Tigerburns said:

I do on the loft “cog”. Both cogs are as follows:

Loft cog: -1, S, +1, +2

Lie: N, D, S, +1

This seems odd compared to standard optifit material that I have read. In addition to that, I cannot align the Draw setting on the Lie cog with either the S or +1 loft settings, only -1 or +2. Is it possible that the fitting place that I had the club fitted has incorrectly installed the optifit? 

The two cogs work together.  Mine is a little different than yours it seems (I've never seen your combo). 

I have: N,-1, D,+2 and N,S,D,+1

But due to the male/female notches, they work together so you cannot get all 16 combos, only 8 (i.e., no N-N, or N-D, etc).  

Each ring should have a N and D for the lie (and should be 180 degrees from each other on each ring) and then two of the lofts on one ring and two lofts on the other.

9 hours ago, stuman74 said:

The two cogs work together.  Mine is a little different than yours it seems (I've never seen your combo). 

I have: N,-1, D,+2 and N,S,D,+1

But due to the male/female notches, they work together so you cannot get all 16 combos, only 8 (i.e., no N-N, or N-D, etc).  

Each ring should have a N and D for the lie (and should be 180 degrees from each other on each ring) and then two of the lofts on one ring and two lofts on the other.

That’s my issue here. I believe the top notch should not have a S and +1 option, as these are both covered on the bottom cog. With the male/female notch, I cannot currently have a combination of D on the bottom cog and either S or +1 on the top cog. I have a feeling my optifit has been installed incorrectly

On 1/28/2023 at 12:59 PM, stuman74 said:

I wonder if there's also an angle for how much open/closed the face becomes?

On 1/28/2023 at 3:23 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

Yes that info is correct. Callaway has never officially released the specs on face angle so unless someone had/has a digital laser loft machine thing like the big OEMs have in their production facilities I doubt anyone would know exactly.

The relationship between hosel adjusted loft changes and face angle is geometrically fixed.   The adapter design or the OEM's don't have any control over it.  Which also means it's exactly the same for everyone.

It's 1.8* of face angle for every 1* of loft change.

or 1* of face angle for 0.6* of loft change.

BUT that's the relative change in face angle as the loft is adjusted.  That doesn't tell us anything about what the absolute face angle value might be.  Don't assume that the face angle is zero or neutral at the +0* loft hosel setting.   That can change from model to model.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to confirm this, if I buy a RH Paradym 4wd which according to specs has a std lie of 56*. If I use a LEFT HANDED opti fit adapter and set it in the D setting, the lie angle would actually DECREASE two degrees and play at a 54* lie angle?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

13 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Just want to confirm this, if I buy a RH Paradym 4wd which according to specs has a std lie of 56*. If I use a LEFT HANDED opti fit adapter and set it in the D setting, the lie angle would actually DECREASE two degrees and play at a 54* lie angle?

No.   Opposite handed adapters only effect the loft settings, not the lie settings.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

No.   Opposite handed adapters only effect the loft settings, not the lie settings.

Hmmm, interesting. I thought since the Callaway adapter is a dual cog and the D setting increased lie angle 2*. So if that same change would be 2* flat if reversed from the LH to RH. But physics never was my strong point….. lol

Edited by hammergolf

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Hmmm, interesting. I thought since the Callaway adapter is a dual cog and the D setting increased lie angle 2*. So if that same change would be 2* flat if reversed from the LH to RH. But physics never was my strong point….. lol

It doesn't really have anything to do with physics - or even the design of the adapter - it's just comes down to how the head specs are defined. 

Think of one of those cheep two sided putters you get at mini-golf courses.  Think of it being bent upright and think of holding it at address.   It doesn't matter if the target is to the left or to the right (using it LH or RH) - it's still going to be upright in both cases.  Lie angle is measured completely independent of the target line.

But if you try to bend the loft from the hosel of that same putter - if one side goes up in loft, the other side has to go down.  That's because loft measurement is dependent on the target line.

That's really all there is too it.

Edited by Stuart_G

27 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

It doesn't really have anything to do with physics - or even the design of the adapter - it's just comes down to how the head specs are defined. 

Think of one of those cheep two sided putters you get at mini-golf courses.  Think of it being bent upright and think of holding it at address.   It doesn't matter if the target is to the left or to the right (using it LH or RH) - it's still going to be upright in both cases.  Lie angle is measured completely independent of the target line.

But if you try to bend the loft from the hosel of that same putter - if one side goes up in loft, the other side has to go down.  That's because loft measurement is dependent on the target line.

That's really all there is too it.

Ahhh, that makes sense now. As I said, physics never were my strong point…. I still have trouble comprehending that if you drop a pencil and brick that they hit the ground at the same time! 😉

13 hours ago, Velcade said:

https://worldofwunder.callawaygolf.com/101-cogszn/

Here's a COG101 article on the Callaway cog.

D is 3* more upright than N?

I"m a bit skeptical about that one.   Most other sources I've seen site 2* difference in lie angle.  And absolutely no source for his information is given in the article - a bit lazy IMO but all too common in today's internet "writings."

It would be nice if Callaway actually published that info someplace.   If they have, I haven't come across it yet.

Edited by Stuart_G

2 hours ago, st1800e said:

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something.    But I don't see anything there that has any information about that writer.  No bio, no statement of company affiliation, nothing about where that information came from or how he got it.   Considering the amount of bad and mis-information that comes out of official CS channels - even a company affiliation isn't really enough to validate the information in the posts.    I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about - just that there is nothing there to provide any assurance that he does.

15 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something.    But I don't see anything there that has any information about that writer.  No bio, no statement of company affiliation, nothing about where that information came from or how he got it.   Considering the amount of bad and mis-information that comes out of official CS channels - even a company affiliation isn't really enough to validate the information in the posts.    I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about - just that there is nothing there to provide any assurance that he does.

Wunder is the tour truck marketing guy, he used to post here and I'm sure you've seen his content. If its on his site its 98% factual I would say. I've seen only a few instances where he parrots something obscure that someone asked about and it was incorrect. YMMV I guess either way 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Hi Stuart, Its a Callaway website, rather than posting doubt, a quick email to Callaway to confirm would likely allay your doubt.  

27 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Wunder is the tour truck marketing guy, he used to post here and I'm sure you've seen his content.

Nothing that stands out in my memory.   But not sure how trustworthy that might be any more. 🙂

18 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Hi Stuart, Its a Callaway website, rather than posting doubt, a quick email to Callaway to confirm would likely allay your doubt.  

If they can't be bothered to validate what they're saying, why should I bother.   Besides, if I really wanted to put any effort into verifying the data - I've plenty of heads I could just measure them myself.  😁

Edited by Stuart_G

• 7 months later...

https://www.callawaygolf.com/wow/  Johnny Wunder is a Callaway employee.

And he did work for GolfWRX for a time as well, https://www.golfwrx.com/author/johnwunder/

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized