2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

1 hour ago, Petethreeput said:

It'll be gone this afternoon, it's supposed to hit 60 today.  Just makes me laugh although I am getting tired of long sleeved shirts and a heavy sweater.

We won’t see days in the 60s until late October. June is usually hot and dry, but we’ve had a lot of rain this spring, so the humidity is currently raging. Hopefully, it dries out soon. But those days in the 60s are by far my favorite golf days! Start out with a pullover and end the round in short sleeves.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

We won’t see days in the 60s until late October. June is usually hot and dry, but we’ve had a lot of rain this spring, so the humidity is currently raging. Hopefully, it dries out soon. But those days in the 60s are by far my favorite golf days! Start out with a pullover and end the round in short sleeves.

... My ideal temp is 85-90* with humidity around 20-25%. As I have always said, everywhere has trade offs. I could not spend a summer playing golf in Dallas with your high humidity. But the lack of humidity here when it gets above 100* really does a number on your skin. I recently found out the ideal humidity for a home is between 30-35% so my room humidifier is regulating to that average. Without adding moisture to the air, it can get as low as 20% or lower in the house. Showers, dishwashers and plants help it stay above 20% but that is still far too dry.

If only we could trade about 20% of my dry air for 20% of your humid air. 🤪

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

I don't know how to create a poll, so I am going to ask a question to the collective and anyone else who sees this.

Do I, if taking kid and roommate out to dinner, pay for both dinners?  Kids are 5 months out of college living on their own, neither is making a ton of money, but supporting themselves.

Is it patronizing or is it appropriate?

Just now, Petethreeput said:

I don't know how to create a poll, so I am going to ask a question to the collective and anyone else who sees this.

Do I, if taking kid and roommate out to dinner, pay for both dinners?  Kids are 5 months out of college living on their own, neither is making a ton of money, but supporting themselves.

You pay (and let them know they can have anything on the menu!) and allow them to leave the 20-30% tip.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

9 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I would pay and if the roommate offered, politely decline.

• Thanks 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

... Yup, pay for both. I remember those days and really appreciated a nice meal but would never pay for one because it just wasn't in my budget. As Fish said, hopefully the room mate doesn't take it for granted and offers to pay, and then you thank him/her and decline. I think that's a win-win. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I would recommend the "All You Can Eat Shrimp" at Red Lobster.  If your local venue is still open...

... Yummmm!!!! There's  nothing quite like farm raised things that pass for shrimp from Asia. 🤮  I assume you were joking but but the hippie tree hugger in me just can't resist:

5. Imported, farmed shrimp can be 10 times worse for the climate than beef

Shrimp is the most popular seafood in the United States, but only a tiny fraction of that comes from domestic sources. Ninety percent of the shrimp we eat is imported, and almost all of that comes from farms in Southeast Asia and Central America. An estimated 50 to 60 percent of farmed shrimp from these regions is raised in ponds that were once mangrove forests — a fact that could spell trouble for the climate. 

Mangroves are one of the world’s most productive ecosystems, and are heavyweights when it comes to capturing and storing carbon. Mangroves not only sequester this greenhouse gas in their wood and leaves, they also help to lay down thick layers of soil-like peat — which can lock away CO2 for thousands of years if left undisturbed. But cutting down mangroves and digging up peat releases this stored carbon.

According to one estimate, each pound of shrimp farmed on clear-cut mangroves indirectly emits 1 ton of CO2. That’s 10 times the carbon footprint of beef raised on land cleared in the Amazon rainforest – one of the most CO2-intensive forms of farming around.

4. Local communities in Asia and Central America can suffer when shrimp farms arrive 

Local and indigenous fishing communities across Asia and Central America rely on mangrove forests for food, income and other resources like firewood. Mangroves are important nurseries for young fish that grow up to be commercially valuable, and are lifelong homes for scores of fish, shellfish, bird and mammal species. But when a shrimp farm comes to town, it can privatize and destroy this vital resource.  And if fishing communities put up a fight, the repercussions can be fatal.

In the past, murders and rapes in Bangladesh have been connected to protests against shrimp farms. In Guatemala, police and private guards have murdered fishers who protest shrimp farms’ pollution and destruction of once-rich fishing grounds. Murders have also been tied to shrimp aquaculture in almost a dozen other countries including Mexico, the Philippines and Brazil.

3. In Thailand, shrimp processing facilities have been linked to human trafficking

Thailand, the biggest supplier of shrimp imported to the U.S., is also a major hub for human trafficking and slavery. In 2014 and 2015, investigations from several major newspapers revealed that a sizeable portion of the farmed Thai shrimp that wound up in American, European and Asian grocery stores and restaurants had directly or indirectly passed through the hands of trafficked workers.
A 2015 Associated Press exposé, for example, uncovered rampant abuses in Thailand’s shrimp-peeling plants. In these facilities — often little more than sheds — impoverished migrants from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos were tricked or sold into debt bondage. Victims recounted 16-hour shifts, grueling child labor and physical abuse. Some were forced to work through severe illness and miscarriage. Others were locked inside for months or years on end.

2. Trafficked workers in Thailand might also catch the fish that feed farmed shrimp 

In Thailand, small bait fish like anchovies and sardines are caught, cooked and ground up to make pellets that feed farmed shrimp, livestock and pets. But Thailand’s emptying oceans mean that fishing trips must last longer and go farther to catch fewer fish, meaning that profit margins are razor-thin. For some vessel owners, the gruesome solution to this problem is human trafficking.  

As a 2014 Guardian investigation discovered, men kidnapped to work aboard Thailand’s so-called ‘ghost ships’ were starved, drugged and forced to work 20-hour days. Men too sick to work were thrown overboard. Those who disobeyed their captors were tortured or executed.

After these revelations about human trafficking in shrimp feed and processing, many victims were rescued. A flurry of lawsuits followed, along with vows from Thailand that it would compensate victims and promises from the shrimp industry that it would eliminate slave labor from supply chains. However, a subsequent investigation in late 2016 found that some Thai shrimp companies and government officials had failed to follow up on these promises.

1. Imported, farmed shrimp can be contaminated with illicit antibiotics 

Farmed shrimp from Central America and Asia can also pose a direct threat to diners. A 2015 Consumer Reports study found that of 205 imported shrimp samples, 11 from Vietnam, Thailand, and Bangladesh were contaminated with antibiotic residues. Some of these antibiotics have been linked to cancers, while others are illegal to administer to food animals in the United States. Chronic overuse of antibiotics can trigger the development of drug-resistant bacteria — a major and growing concernworldwide. 

What can consumers do?  

If the thought of eating imported, farm-raised shrimp makes you queasy, your best bet is ask your fishmonger plenty of questions about where your shrimp came from. If it was raised in Asia or Central America, proceed with caution — while there are shrimp farmers in these regions that follow responsible aquaculture standards, their products can be hard to find. If you need help, the Seafood Watch app offers good guidance on what to choose and what to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yummmm!!!! There's  nothing quite like farm raised things that pass for shrimp from Asia. 🤮  I assume you were joking but but the hippie tree hugger in me just can't resist:

Shrimp is the most popular seafood in the United States, but only a tiny fraction of that comes from domestic sources. Ninety percent of the shrimp we eat is imported, and almost all of that comes from farms in Southeast Asia and Central America. An estimated 50 to 60 percent of farmed shrimp from these regions is raised in ponds that were once mangrove forests — a fact that could spell trouble for the climate. 

Mangroves are one of the world’s most productive ecosystems, and are heavyweights when it comes to capturing and storing carbon. Mangroves not only sequester this greenhouse gas in their wood and leaves, they also help to lay down thick layers of soil-like peat — which can lock away CO2 for thousands of years if left undisturbed. But cutting down mangroves and digging up peat releases this stored carbon.

According to one estimate, each pound of shrimp farmed on clear-cut mangroves indirectly emits 1 ton of CO2. That’s 10 times the carbon footprint of beef raised on land cleared in the Amazon rainforest – one of the most CO2-intensive forms of farming around.

4. Local communities in Asia and Central America can suffer when shrimp farms arrive 

Local and indigenous fishing communities across Asia and Central America rely on mangrove forests for food, income and other resources like firewood. Mangroves are important nurseries for young fish that grow up to be commercially valuable, and are lifelong homes for scores of fish, shellfish, bird and mammal species. But when a shrimp farm comes to town, it can privatize and destroy this vital resource.  And if fishing communities put up a fight, the repercussions can be fatal.

In the past, murders and rapes in Bangladesh have been connected to protests against shrimp farms. In Guatemala, police and private guards have murdered fishers who protest shrimp farms’ pollution and destruction of once-rich fishing grounds. Murders have also been tied to shrimp aquaculture in almost a dozen other countries including Mexico, the Philippines and Brazil.

3. In Thailand, shrimp processing facilities have been linked to human trafficking

Thailand, the biggest supplier of shrimp imported to the U.S., is also a major hub for human trafficking and slavery. In 2014 and 2015, investigations from several major newspapers revealed that a sizeable portion of the farmed Thai shrimp that wound up in American, European and Asian grocery stores and restaurants had directly or indirectly passed through the hands of trafficked workers.
A 2015 Associated Press exposé, for example, uncovered rampant abuses in Thailand’s shrimp-peeling plants. In these facilities — often little more than sheds — impoverished migrants from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos were tricked or sold into debt bondage. Victims recounted 16-hour shifts, grueling child labor and physical abuse. Some were forced to work through severe illness and miscarriage. Others were locked inside for months or years on end.

2. Trafficked workers in Thailand might also catch the fish that feed farmed shrimp 

In Thailand, small bait fish like anchovies and sardines are caught, cooked and ground up to make pellets that feed farmed shrimp, livestock and pets. But Thailand’s emptying oceans mean that fishing trips must last longer and go farther to catch fewer fish, meaning that profit margins are razor-thin. For some vessel owners, the gruesome solution to this problem is human trafficking.  

As a 2014 Guardian investigation discovered, men kidnapped to work aboard Thailand’s so-called ‘ghost ships’ were starved, drugged and forced to work 20-hour days. Men too sick to work were thrown overboard. Those who disobeyed their captors were tortured or executed.

After these revelations about human trafficking in shrimp feed and processing, many victims were rescued. A flurry of lawsuits followed, along with vows from Thailand that it would compensate victims and promises from the shrimp industry that it would eliminate slave labor from supply chains. However, a subsequent investigation in late 2016 found that some Thai shrimp companies and government officials had failed to follow up on these promises.

Farmed shrimp from Central America and Asia can also pose a direct threat to diners. A 2015 Consumer Reports study found that of 205 imported shrimp samples, 11 from Vietnam, Thailand, and Bangladesh were contaminated with antibiotic residues. Some of these antibiotics have been linked to cancers, while others are illegal to administer to food animals in the United States. Chronic overuse of antibiotics can trigger the development of drug-resistant bacteria — a major and growing concernworldwide. 

What can consumers do?  

If the thought of eating imported, farm-raised shrimp makes you queasy, your best bet is ask your fishmonger plenty of questions about where your shrimp came from. If it was raised in Asia or Central America, proceed with caution — while there are shrimp farmers in these regions that follow responsible aquaculture standards, their products can be hard to find. If you need help, the Seafood Watch app offers good guidance on what to choose and what to avoid.

You reminded me.  A friend started up a shrimp farm using all natural processes in long canals with current, naturally recurring food sources, etc. about 8 years ago.  I asked a few times after it started how it was going, but haven't in a long time.  I will have to ask.  He started it for all the eco reasons you state.  And if you haven't, you should watch Sea-spiracy if it is still available on Netflix and it covers all the other stuff mentioned.  Riveting stuff.  I bet I have maybe eaten fish 2-3 times since I saw that 6 years ago.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

What can consumers do?  

People have no concept that it is impossible for that $7 per pound shrimp to be anything but what you outline above. 🤮 If I cannot determine it is US wild caught from the Gulf I won’t buy it or order it — I’ll have a plant based meal in that case. I think there are other good sources in Canada but you never see that here so I don’t worry about that. 

I am also picky about the sources of fish I will eat. Since I don’t live in Miami any more I can’t kill what I catch and eat what I kill and that makes eating fish, which I’d choose do every day if I could, full of question-asking and money-spending. Partially kidding…..fishing in South FL makes golf look like a pauper’s game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

58 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

We always buy for our kids and they are all married and long out of college. It’s just our thing. Every now and then, one of our kids will sneak a check away and pay while I’m distracted, usually by the alcohol. In the case of kids recently out of school, I’d buy.

• Thanks 1

Tell them you would like to treat and you’d like them to leave the tip. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

13 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

You reminded me.  A friend started up a shrimp farm using all natural processes in long canals with current, naturally recurring food sources, etc. about 8 years ago.  I asked a few times after it started how it was going, but haven't in a long time.  I will have to ask.  He started it for all the eco reasons you state.  And if you haven't, you should watch Sea-spiracy if it is still available on Netflix and it covers all the other stuff mentioned.  Riveting stuff.  I bet I have maybe eaten fish 2-3 times since I saw that 6 years ago.

... Awesome! I always want to know how the sausage is made, so thanks I will watch it. Food, Inc changed our lives back in 2008 and Chick Fil A was a go to but haven't eaten there since. Or burgers from anyplace that aren't grass fed and free range. 

1 minute ago, Triple Lindy said:

We don’t eat shrimp often, but it’s not like we avoid it. Perhaps we should. Virtually all of the shrimp in our area is sold/served as Gulf shrimp, which I assumed to be the Gulf of Mexico. 

... Haha I used to make fun of most women in grocery stores scouring labels for what seemed like forever. Now I know better. As long as you check for "wild caught" you should be OK, although the spilled oil in the golf will always be an issue. Pacific wild caught is better although my ex worries about radiation from Japan. Like Rosanne Rosanadana said "It's always something!" 🤪

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

What can consumers do?  

Yes, I was joking.  All my seafood is meticulously wild-caught.

• Thanks 1

You pay. It's appropriate to directly answer your question.

Unless the parent in the situation is of little funds the just starting outer's (young adults) should be treated by you to the dinner, including the gratuity. 

Grab a nice medium priced bottle of wine for the table too and be remembered as the cool generous dad. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

5 minutes ago, mshills said:

Tell them you would like to treat and you’d like them to leave the tip. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

To me asking someone else to leave the tip is wrong, in my opinion, feels like a cheapskate move. 

• Like 1

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

7 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

To me asking someone else to leave the tip is wrong, in my opinion, feels like a cheapskate move. 

The reason I suggested it is because the kids would probably like to pitch in a bit and that is the least painful way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Full disclosure, the question was sort of hypothetical.  These two kids are joined at the hip, so if you get one you generally get the other one as well.  I always buy, always have, and the kids expect it from us by now.  We buy both dinners, drinks, etc.  They will ask to contribute, but no way, they're kids just getting going.

I get the text this morning, because my daughter is really watching her P's and Q's for rent, etc., her roommates parents asked her out to eat and then she had to pay for herself.  If they aren't wealthy then they certainly live the lifestyle with two homes, etc.  She hasn't been eating out because of the expense and then she got stuck with a bill for something she otherwise wouldn't have done.  She was a little panicked, but then realized she was OK, but I was like, "WTF?  Maybe they should be reimbursing me for all the meals we have supplied their daughter?"

Edited by Petethreeput

I hope all of you saw the video that was released today of Scotty Scheffler's incident. Things are more clear now. The cop got a tad too excited. 

• Like 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

5 minutes ago, touch said:

I hope all of you saw the video that was released today of Scotty Scheffler's incident. Things are more clear now. The cop got a tad too excited. 

... and he got written up, to go in his Personnel file.  Though there still could be more to this...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

Full disclosure, the question was sort of hypothetical.  These two kids are joined at the hip, so if you get one you generally get the other one as well.  I always buy, always have, and the kids expect it from us by now.  We buy both dinners, drinks, etc.  They will ask to contribute, but no way, they're kids just getting going.

I get the text this morning, because my daughter is really watching her P's and Q's for rent, etc., her roommates parents asked her out to eat and then she had to pay for herself.  If they aren't wealthy then they certainly live the lifestyle with two homes, etc.  She hasn't been eating out because of the expense and then she got stuck with a bill for something she otherwise wouldn't have done.  She was a little panicked, but then realized she was OK, but I was like, "WTF?  Maybe they should be reimbursing me for all the meals we have supplied their daughter?"

That’s complete BS in my book.  I guess I was raised different and honestly feel the right way.  If I invite someone for drinks, dinner, whatever, it was my invite and my responsibility for covering the bill. 

• Like 2

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

7 minutes ago, touch said:

... and whoever reported that the officer's pants were totally destroyed got a tad too excited, as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The reason I suggested it is because the kids would probably like to pitch in a bit and that is the least painful way.

I understand your point, but having a 18 year old son, most still want everything for nothing, I would guess 95/5 split the kid would offer.

• Like 1

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

2 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I understand your point, but having a 18 year old son, most still want everything for nothing, I would guess 95/5 split the kid would offer.

I have a friend who used to own 6 coffee shops in Denver and sold out to Starbucks, then owned an upscale Italian restaurant in Seattle.  Somewhere between then and now things must have gone financially/dreadfully wrong.  About 3 times a year I will buy him a meal, and pay the tip, too.  Great guy.  And he ain't no kid.  I enjoy his company on occasion and like to help out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

Especially in a situation like this where a.) it is social not business and b.) there is still a major power imbalance it needs to be made clear beforehand. That is why I made the suggestion I did….that HAS to be established in advance. 

It works even for bigger invites later in life. I’ve been a guest of really nice golf clubs where I was told beforehand not to think of paying. I’ve also been told by the member “I love to host but I do not treat.” No problem, not awkward at all, and makes for zero anxiety and a good time. 

• Like 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a friend who used to own 6 coffee shops in Denver and sold out to Starbucks, then owned an upscale Italian restaurant in Seattle.  Somewhere between then and now things must have gone financially/dreadfully wrong.  About 3 times a year I will buy him a meal, and pay the tip, too.  Great guy.  And he ain't no kid.  I enjoy his company on occasion and like to help out.

Restaurant industry is usually boom or bust. We consumers can be a fickle bunch.

• Like 1