The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mshills said:

@touch that looks like a sweet event. I’m making BBQ tomorrow. Big Bob Gibson’s chicken with white sauce (Alabama style) and some Memphis style pork ribs dry rubbed over coals. 

I’m thinking the club does a good bit of bbq — I wouldn’t move that smoker more than a few feet! 😂

4273DBE3-3B81-4A34-9B8E-32B825B1E517.jpeg.fe73887cd7688f008ad9847808202d43.jpeg

The big old black smoker goes nowhere. 😄 Good observation MS.

Have a fine Memorial day cookout tomorrow in the PGH . What you are preparing sounds delicious.

Yes this tournament is the grand daddy of them all. Thursday thru Monday with mucho golf and plenty of good food and drink.

Three nice dinners in the evening. 

At the conclusion of play today the field was whittled in half or a touch more. Tomorrow the teams that remain battle for the trophy and also to be their flight champion. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs   Super Stroke Wrist Lock 

I've played Wolf Creek maybe 10 times? 

It is an incredible track. Might as well call it a southern Utah looking course. It was a great escape from Clark County golf courses. I'm looking forward to imk's photos of the place. I am afraid of heights and you are correct aen it can be an issue there. I got shaky more than once with some of the perched up high on a ledge small sized tee boxes with Look Out Below conditions. 😯

I'm surprised in you photos how brown the course looks. Was there no water up there for a bit when you played it? Every time I played Wolf Creek it was very green, but then again it had just opened back in my Vegas days. 

Man it gets hot there in the summer. I played it once in July and it hit 116* on our back 9. I got heat exhaustion/stroke ( who knows which as I didn't go to Urgent Care) and had to lay down on a couch in the clubhouse for 90 minutes before I felt well enough to drive back to Vegas. I learned a lesson that day and after that round I never played desert golf if the temps were above 105* I drank plenty of fluids too that day. It didn't matter. The extreme heat won. I was really wiped out. Even desert dwelling golfers have to set a "too hot to play" limit. 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, imkirby34 said:

It was a draw/hook monster for me - did it on the range and it carried over onto the course.  I was using the same Ventus TR Red 7S that I'd used with good results in 2 other drivers, but I could not figure out the the AJ.  My saving grace is that I was in the middle flight and was teeing from the forward box, so I only used it 3 times on the course.  I'm going back to the Ai Smoke TD for the Mesquite trip next weekend.

It is indeed.  Whenever we play, it's my job to stand in line and get a dozen glazed when they open.  Most of the buddies I play with all grew up in SC and I'm the only one that still lives here, so it's my responsibility.

The way I was putting, I'm surprised I didn't actually do that (shoot 57 on the front).  I stopped keeping mental track of the # of putts after I went 3/4/3/3 on holes 2-5.  Again, those weren't my scores for those holes - that was the # of putts!  

That's really nice of you since Stan's opens at 6am!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, touch said:

I'm surprised in you photos how brown the course looks. Was there no water up there for a bit when you played it?

I was surprised too as everything I'd read and seen talked up the conditions - it was definitely burnt out a bit in a lot of places. Not sure what was going on.

That was in June of '22. 

1 hour ago, touch said:

Even desert dwelling golfers have to set a "too hot to play" limit.

I can manage up to about 110°. 

Back when I was a member at Summerlin, went out one day when it was about 115°. Figured as long as I had plenty of water, I'd be fine. 

By about #5 I was feeling a bit woozy. Then after teeing off on #6 and driving up that completely open fairway with no shade; it REALLY hit me. Picked up my ball and went and parked in the shade by #7 tee and just sat there for about 10mins. Played it and seriously thought I was going to pass out - stopped at #8 tee and dunked my club towel in the ice in the cart cooler and draped my head with it and drove straight back to the clubhouse.

Stayed in the AC in the locker room for a good 30mins before driving. Stopped by a Wendy's and got a Frosty 😂

So yeah, over 110° is my stopping point. Fortunately that's PRETTY seldom. 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P-Series 135

Also, just booked a rarity ... Sun Mountain! Only played that one a couple times. Neither were particularly good showings but it's also when I was struggling with my iron play. I'm not even sure if I've played it since I switched from the P7TWs to the Titleists early last year. 

13 minutes ago, aenemated said:

I was surprised too as everything I'd read and seen talked up the conditions - it was definitely burnt out a bit in a lot of places. Not sure what was going on.

That was in June of '22. 

Back when I was a member at Summerlin, went out one day when it was about 115°. Figured as long as I had plenty of water, I'd be fine. 

By about #5 I was feeling a bit woozy. Then after teeing off on #6 and driving up that completely open fairway with no shade; it REALLY hit me. Picked up my ball and went and parked in the shade by #7 tee and just sat there for about 10mins. Played it and seriously thought I was going to pass out - stopped at #8 tee and dunked my club towel in the ice in the cart cooler and draped my head with it and drove straight back to the clubhouse.

Stayed in the AC in the locker room for a good 30mins before driving. Stopped by a Wendy's and got a Frosty 😂

So yeah, over 110° is my stopping point. Fortunately that's PRETTY seldom. 

... Haha I wouldn't have played at all last July as it was 110* and over 30 out of 31 days. 🥵 Over 115* more than a few times. I'll play up to 114* on my summer course because it is tree lined with plenty of shade and riding in the cart creates some breeze. The difference sitting in the cart in the shade with at least a hint of a breeze compared to basically sitting in an oven cart in the sun is almost night and day. 115* is a no go for me and completely understand how you could have flirted with heat stroke. Glad you avoided it as I understand it comes back quicker once you have experienced it.

... For those that have never experienced it, I find it pretty crazy how exponential the heat gets when over 110*. For me 106* to 110* isn't even noticeable. But 110* to 114* is a huge jump and seems at least 10* hotter. Anything over 115* is just stoopid hot and walking from my car to a store is all I will attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Posted (edited)

Memorial Day is the final day of the Sweetser Tournament !

Unfortunately Mother Nature decided to get involved with the final round getting underway on time this morning so the starting tee times for the remaining 32 two man teams that will be battling for the Title today were pushed back 3 hours until almost noon when the storm completely moves out Asheville. 

Since I will have some extra time this morning I will be installing my new putter grip and also taking off the mid sized 1/2 cord grip that came on my new 11 wood and replace it with a standard Tour Velvet. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, touch said:

I will be installing my new putter grip

I wore white shirts my last 2 rounds and came home with black stains on them both times. From what I could discern, it’s where I placed my hands on my hips. Thought it was from the grips on the new irons I recently bought, so I regripped them all after the first staining incident. After the 2nd, I realized it must have been my putter. Doh! Had a new grip delivered late yesterday and realized I ordered something pretty skinny by mistake. Double doh! I’ll be giving it a go today, as I had already ripped the old grip off. Or I could switch putters, but my other putter is much longer and has a milled face. I really like that soft insert on the Odessey!

Speaking of playing today, I’ve gotten plugged into a new group. When I agreed to play today, I wasn’t paying attention to the calendar and didn’t realize that it was a holiday. I imagine I’ll be paying a premium. But it should be fun and I think it’s the only day this week with no rain in the forecast. We’re also scheduled to play Wednesday at a course I’d really like to try, but looks like rain.

• Like 4

Lot of storms called for today. No golf for sure, I’ll be happy to get the BBQ in. Should be fine — the chicken is no problem at all and ribs cook much faster than a pork butt so I’ll make it work. 🙂

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

12 hours ago, mshills said:

Big Bob Gibson’s chicken with white sauce (Alabama style) and some Memphis style pork ribs dry rubbed over coals. 

I keep meaning to try an Alabama white sauce, but still haven’t. I ran across a Cornell chicken recipe a few years back that has a white sauce that is delicious!

And Memphis style baby backs are the best! I use Meathead’s Memphis Dust rub recipe, with jalapeño powder added for a little extra punch.

Enjoy your cook!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aloha b. said:

Don’t forget to read arg’s reviews of Wolf Creek, Oasis- Palmer and Falcon Ridge 

Oh, I definitely was paying close attention to his reviews.

• Like 1

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus TR Blue 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50*/56*/60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black

Not only was I using new clubs and golf ball yesterday, I further mixed up things by going back to my all-white Minnesota Twins hat and Adidas ZG21 golf shoes, both of which I hadn't worn in well over a year.  Well, I'm really paying for wearing those shoes because the big toe on my right foot and the sole of my left foot are super sore.  There's no swelling - they're simply aching.  I think my feet have been spoiled by both the PAYNTR and ECCO golf shoes I've been wearing.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Snell MTB Black

2 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

Not only was I using new clubs and golf ball yesterday, I further mixed up things by going back to my all-white Minnesota Twins hat and Adidas ZG21 golf shoes, both of which I hadn't worn in well over a year.  Well, I'm really paying for wearing those shoes because the big toe on my right foot and the sole of my left foot are super sore.  There's no swelling - they're simply aching.  I think my feet have been spoiled by both the PAYNTR and ECCO golf shoes I've been wearing.  🤷‍♂️

How are the Payntr shoes in terms of support and comfort?  What model do you use?  With my ankle injury my arch is collapsing and need a shoe with goo arch support.  I have tried the ECCO in store and they feel to narrow and not comfortable.  The FJ hyper flex carbons felt good, but if my foot is swollen a real chore to put on.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

14 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

How are the Payntr shoes in terms of support and comfort?  What model do you use?  With my ankle injury my arch is collapsing and need a shoe with goo arch support.  I have tried the ECCO in store and they feel to narrow and not comfortable.  The FJ hyper flex carbons felt good, but if my foot is swollen a real chore to put on.

I like the support and definitely the comfort of the Payntr - I have the X 003F (spikeless) model.  I guess my feet could be labeled as "easy to fit" because I've not had fitment issues with shoes that I've ordered online, without having tried them on in a store.  I *think* Panytr are carried by PGA Superstore, if you have one near you and the X 003F do come in wide. 

Not fit-related, but a thing I noticed with the X 003F is that the one time I wore them when it was a bit damp, when I stepped in any sort of mud, I had a heckuva time getting the mud from out of between the nubs, even with the on-course spike cleaners.  It's not like the course had particularly sticky mud.  It was borderline comical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snell MTB Black

50 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

I like the support and definitely the comfort of the Payntr - I have the X 003F (spikeless) model.  I guess my feet could be labeled as "easy to fit" because I've not had fitment issues with shoes that I've ordered online, without having tried them on in a store.  I *think* Panytr are carried by PGA Superstore, if you have one near you and the X 003F do come in wide. 

Not fit-related, but a thing I noticed with the X 003F is that the one time I wore them when it was a bit damp, when I stepped in any sort of mud, I had a heckuva time getting the mud from out of between the nubs, even with the on-course spike cleaners.  It's not like the course had particularly sticky mud.  It was borderline comical.

Thanks, I looked at both PGATSS and neither carried them in store.  I may take a chance on them, but golf shoes are hard to get a solid feel at the house, since most once you take to the course you can’t return. 

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

4 hours ago, DLeightonReid said:

Happy Memorial Day everyone!  We had some nasty storms roll through our area yesterday, producing some tennis ball size hail.  Luckily for us, the hail was on the other side of our town.

... Aena and I talking about extreme heat and you and Touch talking about extreme rain. I say this often but after living all over this country, everywhere has trade offs and the lack of rain is a big one here in the desert. We can go up to 6-8 months without a drop of rain, and it is one of the things I miss living here. So it sucks for you guys when it ruins your plans, but soooooo much better for the environment. We can build up some nasty air conditions in the Valley Of The Sun surrounded by mountains on all sides and it is pretty amazing how clean things look after a good rainfall. 

• Like 1

Couple clips from the gig this past Thursday ... sold out show! I'd guess around 300 or so. Not bad for a PRB club show!

Hate that the quality of this one is so crappy ... Basketcase is a fun one to play a bit silly on ...

• Like 2

Unorthodox, yes….success depends on NOT overdoing the sauce and slowly cooking the chicken to temp, not time. So good.

1CFE3998-B7D5-4867-8A24-37813563F0B4.jpeg.ef6ba6187bebdc2607a76fba3a65022d.jpeg60AB72B0-6FA3-4A21-9694-8836CF16ABE9.jpeg.f32deab700ee50e0909bf5558ecc71c7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

17 hours ago, aenemated said:

... You are safe for at least the next 10 days. 🤪

Screenshot2024-05-27at12_45_33PM.png.00da3c9da8427889bd873e356c077906.png

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... You are safe for at least the next 10 days. 🤪

Screenshot2024-05-27at12_45_33PM.png.00da3c9da8427889bd873e356c077906.png

Haha yep, summer proper is arriving. 

FORTUNATELY ... it's several degrees cooler up this way than down in the valley 🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Haha yep, summer proper is arriving. 

FORTUNATELY ... it's several degrees cooler up this way than down in the valley 🙂

... I'll start my membership at Raven this week. Winter rates are $250 and up. 🙄  Arcis charges $89 a month to join then the rate after 3pm is FREE, well sorta as you have to pay $39 for the mandatory cart. OK by me as I take a cart after the triple digits hit for the next 4 months. The course is tree lined and provides much needed summer shade. 

https://ravenphx.com/course/ 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I've always liked Harry Higgs and root for him to make it back to the PGA Tour.  I found this victory speech from yesterday very moving!

Korn Ferry Tour on X: ""Everyone here could be a difference. The difference." @HarryHiggs1991 honored Grayson Murray in his speech after winning @VisitKnoxOpen. https://t.co/q9xcLmvNPm" / X

Edited by NCLancer
  • Like 4

OK.  I am not a golfer.  And every once in a while it slaps me in the face.  I am in the final group.  Fine.  Hit it chase it.  Yet, I am a golfer, I am a golf nerd, I know that.

I am a few strokes back.  The leader didn’t say a word.  Seriously, I am playing from the senior tees.  Know why?  I am old and not that good.  About 12 holes in I just wanted to leave.

If winning a senior division golf tournament is the pinnacle of my athletic achievement please come to MT and shoot me.

Wasnt fun at all.  He’s a really good player, but really?  It’s not Tiger for millions of dollars, you’re playing for a tee shirt.  I am not sure I want to do it again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

If winning a senior division golf tournament is the pinnacle of my athletic achievement please come to MT and shoot me.

I got into competitive pickleball for several years and felt the same way. I’d pay $100+ to play in tournaments for what - a cheesy medal. And to stay tuned up, I’d play 4-5 times a week - no time for anything else, especially golf, which I gave up for 2-3 years. But man, people take that stuff seriously! Ended up having shoulder surgery and after I hadn’t played for a few months, lots of aches and pains went away. I knew I needed to give up the competition at that point. I haven’t played in months. It IS an addictive game, though.

• Like 2