2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

1972 Putter for YOB set

Hi,

I’m currently trawling eBay for a putter that either came out in 1972 or won in the hands a top player during that year. I’m struggling to find info on internet it just throws up all manner of putters from every era.

I love the look of Wilson 8802 but there’s SO MANY out there would like something a little more under the radar ?

any suggestions ?

If you're willing to compromise a year, the PING PAL putter was released in 1971.

From the Ping website:

Historical Overview: A five-time major winner before being used to win at Augusta in 1988, the Pal was introduced in 1971 and was a friend to many. Cast from manganese bronze, the perimeter-weighted head featured a shorter blade length and an Anser hosel. It was used to win more than 100 tour events, including three of the four majors (3 Open Championships, 2 Masters and 1 U.S. Open). In one stretch in the early 1980s, it was used to win the Open Championship three out of four years. It was also in the hands of the first player to shoot 59 in a PGA Tour event, in 1977.
(link)

Tom Watson used a PAL to win several majors in the 70s, but nothing in 1972.

• Like 2

If you want a putter that was used during 1972, the original MgBr Ping Anser was introduced in 1966.  Many of them would have been produced during 1972, as popular as it is/was.  It would be a worthy choice.

Many folks use an Anser variant now, but I'd wager most of them are not playing the original model.  I would think that would be less mainstream than it might seem on the surface.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 hours ago, MissitNoonan said:

Hi,

I’m currently trawling eBay for a putter that either came out in 1972 or won in the hands a top player during that year. I’m struggling to find info on internet it just throws up all manner of putters from every era.

I love the look of Wilson 8802 but there’s SO MANY out there would like something a little more under the radar ?

any suggestions ?

are you  looking for a putter associated w/the UK or perhaps the USA?

1 hour ago, MissitNoonan said:

Oh I’m not fussy on where from, it would need to look nice and not a crazy golf putter of the 70’s. I’m in the UK so it might be nice but I imagine harder to come by.

Perhaps you imagination is more influenced by transatlantic culture than you would be prepared to admit. There is a thriving persimmon and blades movement in the UK, not to mention the hickory players brigade.I would suggest one of the Harold Swash designed Align putters would fit your DoB requirements, made in the UK as well.

7 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Perhaps you imagination is more influenced by transatlantic culture than you would be prepared to admit. There is a thriving persimmon and blades movement in the UK, not to mention the hickory players brigade.I would suggest one of the Harold Swash designed Align putters would fit your DoB requirements, made in the UK as well.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by imagination ? Might be more accurate to say awareness, but I will check out those putters if I can find them.

I just like the look of blades grew up playing blades 70’s/80’s, only very recently thought to try and pick up some clubs I remembered wanting but never could buy, still play couple of classic wilson & mizuno sets (my first set bought for me were Wilson) hoping to get a nice looking putter of the period to go with the irons I’ve bought.

1 hour ago, MissitNoonan said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean by imagination ? Might be more accurate to say awareness, but I will check out those putters if I can find them.

I just like the look of blades grew up playing blades 70’s/80’s, only very recently thought to try and pick up some clubs I remembered wanting but never could buy, still play couple of classic wilson & mizuno sets (my first set bought for me were Wilson) hoping to get a nice looking putter of the period to go with the irons I’ve bought.

1 hour ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

"I’m in the UK so it might be nice but I imagine harder to come by. "

Ebay usually has a few, I picked up a mint condition one in Morecambe 'Re-use' centre for £2 a couple of months ago. I used one to good effect when I was at Moortown GC from the early '70s (bought new for the Pro) for 20 years.

Played Hoylake yesterday with persimmons (Spalding Custom Crafted) and matching blades. Putter was a St Andrew Golf Co rebranded Wilson 8813. As I'm sure you know the St Andrew Golf Co had a deal with Wilson from the 1930s through to the early '70s. They would also be a UK based source for desireable putters. In fact my Gleneagles 8813 may well fit your timeline, I might do some research.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

"I’m in the UK so it might be nice but I imagine harder to come by. "

Ebay usually has a few, I picked up a mint condition one in Morecambe 'Re-use' centre for £2 a couple of months ago. I used one to good effect when I was at Moortown GC from the early '70s (bought new for the Pro) for 20 years.

Played Hoylake yesterday with persimmons (Spalding Custom Crafted) and matching blades. Putter was a St Andrew Golf Co rebranded Wilson 8813. As I'm sure you know the St Andrew Golf Co had a deal with Wilson from the 1930s through to the early '70s. They would also be a UK based source for desireable putters. In fact my Gleneagles 8813 may well fit your timeline, I might do some research.

This is all good stuff, i can’t say the Swash Align is the prettiest putter I’ve seen but there are a couple on eBay.

I like the sound of the St Andrews / Gleneagle version of the 88## putter, and might also fit as my Haig Ultradyne were made by Wilson I understand, so another little connection with the Wilson brand.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:25 AM, MissitNoonan said:

...I love the look of Wilson 8802 but there’s SO MANY out there would like something a little more under the radar ?...

The 8802 from that era might be a little more rare than you think. In 1971, Wilson changed their putters to black; the 8802 had a black chrome finish in pro shops and a black paint finish in retail. Those putters are so rare most people have never seen one. The 8813 and 8823 were also available in black. If you want rare and a black 8802/8813 isn't enough, try the 8823. It's a similar head, but a gooseneck instead of offset. I have three, silver not black though, and they are fantastic putters.

• Like 1

Some UK clubs for consideration:

A John Letters "Golden Goose" would be a good option, they were first produced in the late 1940s and continued in production for at least 50 years.  

They're a really good putter too.

Edinburgh Golf made some very good putters, I have a "Rapier" and a "St Peter Pilot".

Bronty produced some weird and wonderful putters as well as some that are decidedly good players.

The Leatham Hotblade is decent too.

I also have a Goudie SS300 International which is a great putter but I can't remember seeing another.

image.png.4b792aed219ff4da24b7f46628677c1b.pngimage.png.5b2587d541bf2b1c6d8cbaa89f288b34.pngimage.png.4164996774f086433fa7f5cc03d00fc0.pngimage.png.f9917a62958ca96a7ead292e65e9244a.pngimage.png.4bd43a0c2a35b4365e9f78c4d6c3be7e.png

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

8 hours ago, MissitNoonan said:

Oh I’m not fussy on where from, it would need to look nice and not a crazy golf putter of the 70’s. I’m in the UK so it might be nice but I imagine harder to come by.

Why be fussy about the age of the putter? Walter Hagen putters go way back...I've got a few Hagen putters - non hickory, non pyratone, non painted - so from at least the '40s. I'm not sure of the names of the various putters in the UK (Jiggered, Aspidistra & (I think) Fozzle are based in the UK), however in the US some of the names, like "Cash-In", "Spur", "Bullseye" and others look like some made in the UK putters...the one that comes to mind is the John Letters "Golden Goose" which really looks like the "Bullseye".  The thing is, the type/style of putter remains the same no matter what the name.
Another thought pops up...you are going to play these, correct? If so, then find a putter that YOU are comfortable with, the heck with the age. My putter is a 1957 or '58 H&B Grand Slam Mars 70 putter, I've practiced with a bunch of different putters, but the non-pro putter is the best for me (& just for grins, the putter that comes closest to the "feel" of mine is the Ping DOC-17).

So if you're going to play your set, the putter really doesn't matter - as far as I'm concerned, the putter is the most important club in the bag (after all, think about it - every other club is meant to get you ON the green, the club that actually, most often, puts the ball in the cup, IS the putter)...find a putter that fits you, feels comfortable (screw the looks) and works for you. 

Have fun, enjoy the game

23 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Some UK clubs for consideration:

A John Letters "Golden Goose" would be a good option, they were first produced in the late 1940s and continued in production for at least 50 years.  

They're a really good putter too.

Edinburgh Golf made some very good putters, I have a "Rapier" and a "St Peter Pilot".

Bronty produced some weird and wonderful putters as well as some that are decidedly good players.

The Leatham Hotblade is decent too.

I also have a Goudie SS300 International which is a great putter but I can't remember seeing another.

image.png.4b792aed219ff4da24b7f46628677c1b.pngimage.png.5b2587d541bf2b1c6d8cbaa89f288b34.pngimage.png.4164996774f086433fa7f5cc03d00fc0.pngimage.png.f9917a62958ca96a7ead292e65e9244a.pngimage.png.4bd43a0c2a35b4365e9f78c4d6c3be7e.png

nice putters....also to look for are the John Letters "Silver Swan", Golden Goose "Crook", "Goosander", and any made in UK putters by Wilson, Spalding, Dunlop & Slazanger putters.....

Edited by bcstones

15 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Why be fussy about the age of the putter? Walter Hagen putters go way back...I've got a few Hagen putters - non hickory, non pyratone, non painted - so from at least the '40s. I'm not sure of the names of the various putters in the UK (Jiggered, Aspidistra & (I think) Fozzle are based in the UK), however in the US some of the names, like "Cash-In", "Spur", "Bullseye" and others look like some made in the UK putters...the one that comes to mind is the John Letters "Golden Goose" which really looks like the "Bullseye".  The thing is, the type/style of putter remains the same no matter what the name.
Another thought pops up...you are going to play these, correct? If so, then find a putter that YOU are comfortable with, the heck with the age. My putter is a 1957 or '58 H&B Grand Slam Mars 70 putter, I've practiced with a bunch of different putters, but the non-pro putter is the best for me (& just for grins, the putter that comes closest to the "feel" of mine is the Ping DOC-17).

So if you're going to play your set, the putter really doesn't matter - as far as I'm concerned, the putter is the most important club in the bag (after all, think about it - every other club is meant to get you ON the green, the club that actually, most often, puts the ball in the cup, IS the putter)...find a putter that fits you, feels comfortable (screw the looks) and works for you. 

Have fun, enjoy the game

The year is only important to try and keep with my YOB 1972, I have the irons (I believe 1972 near as dammit), it’s just so the clubs are the same age as me. I will play them but only for fun so the scoring doesn’t matter just if it’s a nice looking thing. I will check out your suggestions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissitNoonan said:

The year is only important to try and keep with my YOB 1972, I have the irons (I believe 1972 near as dammit), it’s just so the clubs are the same age as me. I will play them but only for fun so the scoring doesn’t matter just if it’s a nice looking thing. I will check out your suggestions.

It is difficult to identify a putter that is specific to 1972, many of the greats span that date. Lee Trevino won The Open with an 8802 and Nicklaus won the US Open, I believe, with his George Low putter so either would be significant for 1972? Weiskopf used an ironmaster in 1973 so any napa style putter would be appropriate to that era? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissitNoonan said:

Thanks, tho you gotta realize that pro's in that era probably didn't use putters from that same year....they played with the putters that they were comfortable with and worked for them. The reason I play with a ~64+ year old putter is that we match each other...so if you have a putter that works for you, then why not just meld it into your new set of clubs...it's what most pro's & amateur's do.

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1