Nongolfer: Country Club Pick (Bergen County, NJ)

Rocketcoal

You are probably wondering why a non golfer is posting on a golf forum -- well you all are the only ones I can find discussing country clubs!😅

I live in Bergen County and thinking about joining one for the pool, the tennis/paddle/pickleball, the gym, and the social aspect of it all.  

I was thinking either White Beeches, Edgewood, Hackensack, or Knickerbocker -- anybody have any insight into any of those places -- any ones I should avoid?  Do any standout? Open to other suggestions as well, but would like to stay within 15 or so minutes of Oradell.

Edited by Rocketcoal

• Rocketcoal changed the title to Nongolfer: Country Club Pick (Bergen County, NJ)
14 hours ago, Rocketcoal said:

You are probably wondering why a non golfer is posting on a golf forum -- well you all are the only ones I can find discussing country clubs!😅

I live in Bergen County and thinking about joining one for the pool, the tennis/paddle/pickleball, the gym, and the social aspect of it all.  

I was thinking either White Beeches, Edgewood, Hackensack, or Knickerbocker -- anybody have any insight into any of those places -- any ones I should avoid?  Do any standout? Open to other suggestions as well, but would like to stay within 15 or so minutes of Oradell.

Knickerbocker. And for some reason, you or a family member plays golf, they have a fantastic course.

• Thanks 1

You can't go wrong with any of them. White Beeches' pool is little more centralized so I saw it when I played golf there this past summer. The pool was buzzing, The food/service was good too,

The pool and tennis courts at Hackensack were away from the golf pro shop so I've only driven past them so I can't comment and Edgewood has been remodeled since I was last there.

Call them and they'll gladly show you around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Looper34 said:

You can't go wrong with any of them. White Beeches' pool is little more centralized so I saw it when I played golf there this past summer. The pool was buzzing, The food/service was good too,

The pool and tennis courts at Hackensack were away from the golf pro shop so I've only driven past them so I can't comment and Edgewood has been remodeled since I was last there.

Call them and they'll gladly show you around.

Thanks Looper!!!   I have a couple tours set up - its just hard to make a $14K commitment (initiation and year 1) for WB or a $10K commitment (Edgewood) without getting to trial them for a month - but I know that isn't possible and we don't know any members.   Edgewood has such a low initiation for House membership $1,500 (compared to $8,500 for WB) - its kinda concerning in an odd way.   I do love that they have a gym and the others don't seem to - heard they were in financial trouble within the last 10 years, which is also concerning, but now under new owners (thanks guys - I have been reading the forum)

Hoping for a place that is good for both my wife and I to make friends and also network a bit.  Are there questions I should ask during the tour? -- sorry if this is naïve, never been in a NJ country club before.

Edited by Rocketcoal
forgot a word

12 hours ago, Rocketcoal said:

Are there questions I should ask during the tour? -- sorry if this is naïve, never been in a NJ country club before.

Obviously being on this site my primary concern is golf, but I've been a member at enough private clubs over the years to help you a little bit with this one. 

If it were me I'd want to inquire about availability first and foremost - I.e. What months is the pool is open? What months are the tennis/PB courts are open? Do you have to reserve a court or is it easy to just show up and play? If you have to reserve it... What is the process and how far out do you typically need to do so? Do they have any groups or leagues that play regularly where you could meet people?

Also, I'd want to know about any past or potential future assesments. As a golfer, I'd be fine if I were hit with a $2k assessment for a total bunker restoration on the course, but if I didn't play golf that's something that would probably piss me off a bit. 

Last but not least in your situation... I'd probably try to grab a meal when you do a tour. Since the social aspect is something you value I'm sure you'll be spending a fair amount of time there. If the food sucks it's going to be hard to swallow (pun intended 😉) paying a mandatory F&B minimum each month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Obviously being on this site my primary concern is golf, but I've been a member at enough private clubs over the years to help you a little bit with this one. 

If it were me I'd want to inquire about availability first and foremost - I.e. What months is the pool is open? What months are the tennis/PB courts are open? Do you have to reserve a court or is it easy to just show up and play? If you have to reserve it... What is the process and how far out do you typically need to do so? Do they have any groups or leagues that play regularly where you could meet people?

Also, I'd want to know about any past or potential future assesments. As a golfer, I'd be fine if I were hit with a $2k assessment for a total bunker restoration on the course, but if I didn't play golf that's something that would probably piss me off a bit. 

Last but not least in your situation... I'd probably try to grab a meal when you do a tour. Since the social aspect is something you value I'm sure you'll be spending a fair amount of time there. If the food sucks it's going to be hard to swallow (pun intended 😉) paying a mandatory F&B minimum each month. 

Thank you so much!  Really appreciate the detail!  Extremely helpful.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:07 PM, LPSISCO said:

If they are actively looking for members, the Membership Director should be able to introduce you to members who can sponsor you. 

Thanks!  Appreciate the advice from you and NJGolfer.  Hope all works out!

Edited by Rocketcoal