2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Anything in this swing that explains driver pulls about 40-50% of the time since doing the drill you see at the beginning?

Working on reducing how steep I get in transition with the exaggeration move you see me rehearse. 

My iron and wedge game has gotten spectacular. My hybrid and 3w are awesome. I play a fade.

My path numbers are consistently 1-3.5 left. But all of a sudden I'm pulling driver close to half the time I hit it. Lm data shows ftp getting slightly closed to path. 

See anything technical to cause that? 

I tend to get the face less open when I use too much right hand. Will that drill cause that? My tempo may be a touch quick...not sure if that comes through in the video.

Others far more knowledgeable will chime in but to my eye.... You're rehearsing a punch elbow, and in the full swing it kinda stays back and doesn't get in front, just like you rehearsed. From there, I'd think the club head is gonna overtake your arms and hands unless you're facing the target like Furyk at impact.

You are rehearsing a feel that you can’t really do when the ball is on the ground. I guess you could but the actual swing with the iron is not really close to it. Off the tee might be a different story? That move also requires more release if you were to do it. Are the path numbers similar with the driver?

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

14 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

You are rehearsing a feel that you can’t really do when the ball is on the ground. I guess you could but the actual swing with the iron is not really close to it. Off the tee might be a different story? That move also requires more release if you were to do it. Are the path numbers similar with the driver?

The move is to exaggerate the arms going less toward the ball in transition. Definitely not a move I'm trying to make on a swing. Just over exaggerating to make a small change. 

Driver path numbers are almost all between 2.2L and 3.5L. A couple got to 4.1L. None under 2.0L...in my past session with 25 drives. 

6i and 8i numbers are similar but many under 2.0L and none that get to 4.0L. Most are in thr 1.5L to 3.0L range.

11 minutes ago, deltarocketscientist said:

From my eye, your swing is different from the practice swing… in your practice you bring the club inside the line and swing going out…. Your swing is out to in…

The "practice" swing is just an over exaggeration. It's not really a practice swing. It's a move to create a feeling where my arms and hands don't move toward the ball so much in transition. I do that move over and over and then just swing away. I'm not trying to come anywhere close to what you see in the "practice" swing.

Edited by getitdaily

19 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

The "practice" swing is just an over exaggeration. It's not really a practice swing. It's a move to create a feeling where my arms and hands don't move toward the ball so much in transition. I do that move over and over and then just swing away. I'm not trying to come anywhere close to what you see in the "practice" swing.

You have to feel the exaggeration during the swing to stop the arms going too far out. If it feels like crap, you're doing it right.

Shoulders opening way too early and center of mass comes out early.  That’s a pull.

Look how open they are at impact..

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

5 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Shoulders opening way too early and center of mass comes out early.  That’s a pull.

Look how open they are at impact..

Thanks. Back to the target a bit longer then. I know that drill.

Looks like maybe a bit more downshift in transition too, with the upper body. That usually keeps me from opening up.

Edited by getitdaily

20 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

You have to feel the exaggeration during the swing to stop the arms going too far out. If it feels like crap, you're doing it right.

Yeah that drill move feels incredibly awkward. But, outside of my driver and an occasional iron pull, my ballatriking the last 6 weeks has been phenomenal. Sub 70 3 times and nothing over 74. 

My iron play has really taken a step forward. 

Just now, getitdaily said:

Yeah that drill move feels incredibly awkward. But, outside of my driver and an occasional iron pull, my ballatriking the last 6 weeks has been phenomenal. Sub 70 3 times and nothing over 74. 

My iron play has really taken a step forward. 

The awkward feeling will go away eventually. You're learning a new motor pattern. The key is getting through the discomfort part until it feels good. Have to monitor it with video so you don't revert back. I'm not surprised you're hitting it a lot better. I know you want to improve even more though, which is a good thing. 

12 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

When Justin Rose does his feel vs. real drill, he's actively doing it during his swing. It doesn't just magically appear in the real swing. If he just 'swung away', he'd open too soon and flip. 

Yeah, I do that same drill in my living room often...started it about the same time as the one in my video. I can do that rose move with speed but I hit pulls with it too. Not aure if it's the shoulders (probably is) or if it's my right hand. That rose drill has to be done (for now?) with a bit more right hand control than left. When I do it full speed my right hand somewhat takes over. And when I get right hand dominate, the face closes more.

If it's shoulders then I can remedy that. Pump.drill. back to target longer feeling. Probably more downward with upper body in transition. 

I just haven't been tepping the drills to keep the shoulders closed and when that happens my hips and shoulders can open up quickly.

Will get to work tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

The awkward feeling will go away eventually. You're learning a new motor pattern. The key is getting through the discomfort part until it feels good. Have to monitor it with video so you don't revert back. I'm not surprised you're hitting it a lot better. I know you want to improve even more though, which is a good thing. 

Yep. The awkwardness of the move is almost gone. I just have to match up other parts. I figured middle.to end of July so I'm right on track.

This was just 2-2.5 months ago.

5 hours ago, MPStrat said:

195A1185-9A7F-4DBA-A847-DB8D40E1C924.jpeg.bb924d19bdca98a68cf72aaf21a7f093.jpeg6FC54019-D57C-4A8E-B7F9-CE2F565072E0.jpeg.f5b3bed75b2019feb1e047a70779263a.jpeg

Substantial improvement. Keep doing what you’re doing. Lot of good things happening in this swing. As you’re working through this, the face and path are going to naturally work closer together. Both more toward neutrality. Start line work is important. 

Thanks. Hasn't been as hard a change as I thought it would be. You're right about things trending to neutrality. LM data shows it. About the 3rd session doing that rehearsal drill I hit 7 irons and had every path at 2L or ender and every ftp under 1 degree open to path. I knew I was on the right track. 

11 hours ago, johnrobison said:

Others far more knowledgeable will chime in but to my eye.... You're rehearsing a punch elbow, and in the full swing it kinda stays back and doesn't get in front, just like you rehearsed. From there, I'd think the club head is gonna overtake your arms and hands unless you're facing the target like Furyk at impact.

A punch elbow is when you externally rotate your right arm and the shaft would be more vertical, not the position of the elbow to the hip. He has a pinched elbow. Forcing the elbow in front isn’t necessary. 

Was able to hit some balls before I start my work day.

1. Shoulders opening too soon like monte said

2. Tempo is fast

3. Right hand is taking over at times. That's the drill I'm doing AND the Tempo issue.

A bit of equipment related too. Playing driver lofted up aided my new found left misses. I got a 10.5 head and lofted it down and saw pull fades when I opened up too fast.

So some driver tweaking to do too.

Edited by getitdaily

In the earlier swing (right), the right elbow was in pitch position. In the recent swing (left) it's in punch position, which is how you're rehearsing it in the drill. 

image.png.e86d016e42bb487b00e90c9376f50903.png

You said you've started hitting pulls since doing this drill which is what I was addressing. You're already aware that youre swing is steep (but much less so now than before) and you can play with a steep swing, as you seem to be doing. So I was addressing why you might be seeing pulls now as opposed to previously, rather than why your swing is steep. I think it's the right elbow.

11 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Was able to hit some balls before I start my work day.

1. Shoulders opening too soon like monte said

2. Tempo is fast

3. Right hand is taking over at times. That the drill I'm doing AND the Tempo issue.

I’d say the biggest thing to tackle in this swing which speaks to #1, is not letting the lead arm get too far out at p5.

Your club shallows nicely from the top in all of your swings, which is big reason why you are a good ball striker. But I would imagine, even though it has improved the lead arm has a tendency to get too far out too early and look more like the before swing especially on the golf course. This is normal. 

Some or even a fair amount of early outward lead arm movement is ok, especially since you are a good player and your stock flight is a fade. The key is not letting it get excessive, for you. An earlier, more patient transition with the lower body while the upper is still turning back will help with this. Again would like to see a face on to see some things. 

8 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

I’d say the biggest thing to tackle in this swing which speaks to #1, is not letting the lead arm get too far out at p5.

Your club shallows nicely from the top in all of your swings, which is big reason why you are a good ball striker. But I would imagine, even though it has improved the lead arm has a tendency to get too far out too early and look more like the before swing especially on the golf course. This is normal. 

Some or even a fair amount of early outward lead arm movement is ok, especially since you are a good player and your stock flight is a fade. The key is not letting it get excessive, for you. An earlier, more patient transition with the lower body while the upper is still turning back will help with this. Again would like to see a face on to see some things. 

Agree 100% with this. I have been working on a more vertical lead arm rather than the 45 degree angle it used to get to.  That move I'm drilling is to get that lead arm coming down more and out less. So you're spot on. @johnrobison, the right elbow is just along for the ride. 

i had a video lesson with monte and his #1 thing for me wqs to get closer to the ball. I tried and was in the heel on Everything. So I added that "shallowing" move in. I think a residual issue that's come up is everything firing early to get clear since the closer to the ball setup feels crowded.

This is why swing changes are difficult...but I know where this will end up and I'm really close. 

A good thing is that yhe residual faults were all faults in my old setup and old transition. So I know exactly what to do. I just have to add those drills back in. 

Deleted

Edited by iacas
IIG

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Nice sit down trigger.  May find your solution, instead of drills, by moving the club more inward with the sit instead of the outside route.  Ayers called the move pulling the shaft out from the hosel, which captures the feel and intent very well.   All swings on the planet eventually get In and Up. 

Hogan-In.GIF.4bbacda5a2f05caa542a665faaeb2e82.GIF

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

5 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Nice sit down trigger.  May find your solution, instead of drills, by moving the club more inward with the sit instead of the outside route.  Ayers called the move pulling the shaft out from the hosel, which captures the feel and intent very well.   All swings on the planet eventually get In and Up. 

Hogan-In.GIF.4bbacda5a2f05caa542a665faaeb2e82.GIF

Look at DJ and sung Jae im