2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Putter fitting...

Shankapotimous

Well, I decided to do it the right way and get fitted at ClubChamp for a putter. We'll see what it shows up. Kind of excited to see how all my current 3 putters come out (Newport 2.5, Phantom X 5.5 and Odyssey EXO-7) Maybe this event will get the thinking out of my head. Whatever it takes!

I will give everyone feedback when I am done. My thinking is that I will be fitted with 33 inch, face balanced double bend putter. 

• Like 1

Well, so this was interesting weekend. First, I had my lesson in the morning and in the afternoon, I went to my putter fitting. Now, being lefty, I kind of expected lack of choices for putters. 

My lesson was great. My instructor is amazing. When I told him I shot 40 on 9 holes, but had 20 putts, we started to talk about putting. We went over AimPoint stuff and some mental aspects. It was truly eye opening. He also measured swing weight of my Phantom X5.5 which I cut down. He came back and basically said that this putter is unplayable lol.

Onto Club Champion....took my putter with me. We measured stats on that first. Well, I do need a new shaft, since I cut this one so short (30.5 inches oops). So, everything is off on it. It "feels" ok to me though. The SAM showed some interesting things. First, I close my face on impact. But that is because my follow through is so long. I was advised to shorten my follow through. This would help the closing of the face a little. Second - my loft on the club is not enough. It actually came out recommended 3.7 degrees, but the fitter adjusted it to 4.5 due to me playing more on slower greens. The ball should come off a little faster now. 

At the end, it came out that sligh toe flow (35-40 degrees) was recommended for me. Funny thing is, I thought I needed a face balanced putter. Not so! Sounds like my SC Phantom X 5.5 is just right for me, except I need to get the shaft to proper length. 

Bottom line, it's not the hammer.. it's the carpenter....I need to practice more, get better at reading the greens and start sinking those putts. 

One thing I wish was for more lefty selection. They only had maybe 5 putters for me. At GolfTech, I think they have more to select from, because they have that Odyssey system where you can mix and match heads and shafts together giving you more options. Overall, I basically paid some guy $125 to tell me "You have the right putter, aim more to the left"

1 hour ago, Shankapotimous said:

Well, so this was interesting weekend. First, I had my lesson in the morning and in the afternoon, I went to my putter fitting. Now, being lefty, I kind of expected lack of choices for putters. 

My lesson was great. My instructor is amazing. When I told him I shot 40 on 9 holes, but had 20 putts, we started to talk about putting. We went over AimPoint stuff and some mental aspects. It was truly eye opening. He also measured swing weight of my Phantom X5.5 which I cut down. He came back and basically said that this putter is unplayable lol.

Onto Club Champion....took my putter with me. We measured stats on that first. Well, I do need a new shaft, since I cut this one so short (30.5 inches oops). So, everything is off on it. It "feels" ok to me though. The SAM showed some interesting things. First, I close my face on impact. But that is because my follow through is so long. I was advised to shorten my follow through. This would help the closing of the face a little. Second - my loft on the club is not enough. It actually came out recommended 3.7 degrees, but the fitter adjusted it to 4.5 due to me playing more on slower greens. The ball should come off a little faster now. 

At the end, it came out that sligh toe flow (35-40 degrees) was recommended for me. Funny thing is, I thought I needed a face balanced putter. Not so! Sounds like my SC Phantom X 5.5 is just right for me, except I need to get the shaft to proper length. 

Bottom line, it's not the hammer.. it's the carpenter....I need to practice more, get better at reading the greens and start sinking those putts. 

One thing I wish was for more lefty selection. They only had maybe 5 putters for me. At GolfTech, I think they have more to select from, because they have that Odyssey system where you can mix and match heads and shafts together giving you more options. Overall, I basically paid some guy $125 to tell me "You have the right putter, aim more to the left"

If that word of advice helps you drain more putts consider it money well spent, too many people expect miracles but it rarely happens unless you are so far off.

Also the aim thing remember Tiger aims just a little left or right of his line I forget exactly which and Koepka lines his putter up with the ball off center because he'll strike it center.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Yup. That's what my train of thought is as well. I been dealing with some putting issues this year. Thinking it maybe was my putter (LOL). This just confirms it is not the putter, but me. I am just not as good as I think I am. Period. But at lest now, I know that I have the tool in my hand that is fit for me. No excuses from now on.

Funny story with my lesson. My instructor asked me:" You have a lip out on your 6 footer...what is your story?" I was little confused about it and said "Well, the story is that now I have a probably 3 footer that I will miss..." He looked at me and said:" See, you haven't even made the putt yet, and you are already telling yourself that you missed it". lol. 

it's definitely all in my head...

As I see it, you paid $125 for someone to tell you stop chasing new putters! Saving you money! 

I'd take off the grip, put on a shaft extension, and put the old grip back on for not much money.   

He also tweaked your putter for your swing.

If you buy clubs from Club Champion they adjust them as needed for your swing. 

They were nice enough to adjust an iron that I didn't buy from them!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

As I see it, you paid $125 for someone to tell you stop chasing new putters! Saving you money! 

I'd take off the grip, put on a shaft extension, and put the old grip back on for not much money.   

He also tweaked your putter for your swing.

If you buy clubs from Club Champion they adjust them as needed for your swing. 

They were nice enough to adjust an iron that I didn't buy from them!

Thats' the way I see it too! lol I was set and ready to spend money on putter. 

I ordered black shaft from Siege. I am going to cut it to 33 inches (which was recommended for me) and put the original Metador grip on it that I took off. I am done with messing around with this and just need to get better myself. 

4 hours ago, Putter Addict said:

30 inches makes my back hurt just thinking about it... Either I am old or that is really short... probably both

Yeah, I hear ya. My back hurts too...went little kray kray with the cutting

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the insight, I actually just had a putting lesson last night (first time for that) and came away with some interesting stuff. Basically, stroke looks good, need to work on a few things, but one thing the instructor shared is he thinks I'd benefit from a newer putter, as I currently game a 2002 SC Studio Design 2. I love the putter, I feel confident with it, and have putted my best with it in the bag. 

His viewpoint is that tech has changed enough in 20+ years to help with some MOI, and it has an aim dot. Basically said I'm making it as hard as possible to make putts due to lack of alignment aid and forgiveness. He also acknowledged it's all feel with putters so don't rush to change, but now considering getting fitted. Don't want to spend $125 for a fitter to tell me the same thing as OP. Any thoughts out there of a similar situation?

TIA.

I would spend the $125 to get fitted. The data you will receive is just beyond of "Here, your new club should be a mallet with slight toe hang". There is A LOT more data that comes out of it. For example, for me, I learned from the data that my club goes too far after I hit the ball. I was suggested to shorten my follow thorough. That caused me to miss right (I am a lefty) Also, angle of attack was not usual for me, so it called for my loft to me adjusted to 4.5 degrees, based on the courses I play.

You will get a nice print out that you can use. I say, spend the mulla. 

when i got fitted for my putter at CC I was shocked at what a difference putter shafts make as far as feel goes. I spent WAAAAY too much money on a LA Golf shaft but my god it feels so good. Since you use your putter more than any other club in your bag I think dropping coin to make it as good as it can possibly be is money well spent. 

What's in my Ping Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10k 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50s

3 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 60s 

7 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 70s 

3 & 4 Hybrid: Ping G430 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 75r

Irons: 5 - PW Mizuno Pro 243 KBS $ Taper 120 shafts

Wedges: Mizuno S23 50* S Grind 54* D grind // Cleveland RTX full-face 2 58*

Putter: L.A.B. DF 3 TPT shaft Press 3*

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ARCCOS 

On 8/24/2023 at 8:40 PM, 5hort5tuff said:

What length did you settle on?

33 was the recommended lenght. However, I still went with 32.5 inches. .5 might not make much difference, but for me, I can see it lol. 

15 hours ago, ad_l1b said:

when i got fitted for my putter at CC I was shocked at what a difference putter shafts make as far as feel goes. I spent WAAAAY too much money on a LA Golf shaft but my god it feels so good. Since you use your putter more than any other club in your bag I think dropping coin to make it as good as it can possibly be is money well spent. 

That is my thinking too. I want this club to be PERFECT for me.