2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

should i be turning my hips as much as they want to?

hacker113

I've noticed when i turn to the top of the backswing, my hips naturally want to rotate 60-65 degrees. But what ive been doing since I started getting into golf a couple years ago, is to restrcit them in the initial couple feet of the takeaway, then they start turning. In my current swing they probably turn 40-45 degrees. I'm still conflicted about whether to rotate them freely or restrict them to 45 degrees since some instructors say restrict them more some they freely turn them.

Edited by hacker113

No.

I don't know if you want to "restrict" them in the first part, though that may be more of a feel than what's really happening. But, no, you don't want to just free-wheel them around 60°, either.

Have you considered trying to do something different, like "push your right butt cheek back" instead of thinking about "turning?" Change the feel to change the range of motion and mechanics?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Restricting the hips too much is not good and something that ams tend to do.  John Daly turns his hips quite a bit during his back swing which allows him to really unwind during the down swing.  I believe he talked about this many years ago.  However with that being said, having excess hip turn can also be detrimental as well depending on what you do during your down swing.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

No.

I don't know if you want to "restrict" them in the first part, though that may be more of a feel than what's really happening. But, no, you don't want to just free-wheel them around 60°, either.

Have you considered trying to do something different, like "push your right butt cheek back" instead of thinking about "turning?" Change the feel to change the range of motion and mechanics?

Yes, I tried the right hip back thing the other day and doing that it still felt too restricted, I don't know if it's a hip mobility thing or what. Maybe I was doing it incorrectly 

About the  legs and how they need to move to turn the pelvis and upper body.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

5 hours ago, MPStrat said:

If you over rotate your hips or spin your pelvis in the backswing, you might very well have to feel some restriction of movement especially early in the swing.

Post a swing if you can 

This swings from earlier last year but you can see I'm aiming way right and hips rotate a lot, wasn't doing this consciously, it just feels comfy and natural to me. I remember after I hit this shot it went nowhere, only 225-230 yards. i wonder if the overrotated hips had anything to do with it, there wasn't much wind at all

IMO I'd tackle setup, posture, balance and see where that puts you first. Anything dynamic that you want to fix is putting the cart before the horse.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, MPStrat said:

Yes, this is way too much hip rotation. Like iacas mentioned above, your setup needs cleaned up first. 

What is comfortable in the backswing is often loose and disconnected. Making a good backswing should not feel effortless. 

Like I said, that was an older swing. It looks quite a bit different now. I'll post my current swing soon

8 hours ago, hacker113 said:

IMG_0292.mov 478.7 kB · 7 downloads  

This swings from earlier last year but you can see I'm aiming way right and hips rotate a lot, wasn't doing this consciously, it just feels comfy and natural to me. I remember after I hit this shot it went nowhere, only 225-230 yards. i wonder if the overrotated hips had anything to do with it, there wasn't much wind at all

camera angle poor - too high and to the right - and it moves during the swing.     camera should be focused on hands at hand level -helps to have an alignment rod or club at the feet a few inches in front of the toes.

hard to say on distance from dtl but does appear that you have a late wrist set and early cast - that would have more to do with loss of distance than the hips.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Even when a better camera angle and newer swing is posted, I’m guessing setup (s curve, lack of knee bend and wide open shoulders) and EXTREMELY late wrist hinge are the issues

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

No, it will cause a lot of different issues.  If you turn them too much in the backswing, then they won't have enough time to turn them in the downswing.  It can also hurt your hand path, sequencing tilts, etc.  

Extension of the trail side and stretching of the upper trail side fascia will allow automatically allow for your pelvis to turn.  If you're turning the hips too much (more than 45 degrees) you are either actively turning your hips and/or you are not getting much tilt of the hips (usually goes with either retaining or adding trail knee flex in the backswing)

RH

15 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

No, it will cause a lot of different issues.  If you turn them too much in the backswing, then they won't have enough time to turn them in the downswing.  It can also hurt your hand path, sequencing tilts, etc.  

Extension of the trail side and stretching of the upper trail side fascia will allow automatically allow for your pelvis to turn.  If you're turning the hips too much (more than 45 degrees) you are either actively turning your hips and/or you are not getting much tilt of the hips (usually goes with either retaining or adding trail knee flex in the backswing)

RH

someone suggested that i feel right hip back and stretch to start backswing and thats the feel im been working on today. makes sense that if you spin your hips in the backswing thats what you will do on the downswing

People make the golf swing way too complicated. When you stand you're balanced on both feet, legs and hips. Now shift to your right foot. You're balanced on your right foot, leg and hip. Turn your shoulders, there's your hip action. 

This might help with your set up OP. The only tension you should feel is from the pec grab with your upper left arm. Tense muscles are slow, relaxed muscles are quick. 

Edited by Zitlow