Johnson City, TN area

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Bristol (45 mins from JC)and usually play:

Crockett's Ridge is pretty nice in Kingsport. They have GPS on all their carts.

Tri-Cities Golf Course in Bristol TN has 27 holes.

As said, in Bristol we also some very nice private clubs with:

The Virginian

The Olde Farm

The Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) was actually ranked #2 in the US to live and play golf a couple of years ago in Golf Digest.

Have Fun

i herd Crocketts Ridge is nice. i go to the tri-cities for work about twice a month...i was at Cheddars in JC last Wed, and they recommended Crocketts Ridge...i need to play there...

nice to see this topic pop up. great timing.

thanks guys

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 3 months later...

Don't know if you have been to JC yet or not but I live about 40 minutes from there and play a lot of golf in that area.

Crockett's Ridge - Good golf course for the money. A local buy bought it a few years ago and put some money into it. He also reduced the green fees and forced the other public courses to do the same. You can play at most of the public courses for $30-$45.

Warrior's Path - Maybe not as good as CR but still a fun place to play. It's located in Kingsport which is about 15 minutes from JC. It's located in a state park and is usually in good condition.

Cattails at Meadowview - My favorite place to play in Kingsport. Located off of I-26 and is a little more expensive than CR and others. The greens are usually fast and the course is well manicured.

Graysburg - 27 Holes off of I-81 that most people forget about because of its location. Just played there on Saturday and its in good shape. Two of the nines (Fodderstack and Knobs) are straight forward and the Chimney Top nine has some blind shots and elevation changes but is still fun to play.

The Crossings - Private golf course that may not be too hard to get on. It's a good layout and was in good shape the last time I played.

The Ridges - The cream of the crop for Johnson City area course (located in Jonesborough). It's private and I am unsure how hard it would be to get on. In the same league and The Virginian in my book. I haven't played the Olde Farm so I can't comment on it. This course is a challenge.

Elizabethton - I played a lot of junior tournaments here. It's fun but the greens have a lot of slope and are small so it may frustrate first timers.

Johnson City CC - It's been a while since I have played here but it wasn't bad from what I remember. Most people seem to like it.

Tri-Cities - 27 Holes. Not my favorite place but still ok.

Buffalo Valley - Never played it.

Ridgefields - Donald Ross design. Private. I like playing here.

Hope this helps someone out.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

• 5 months later...

I play a lot in the JC area, I live just over an hour from there. Not sure what you can afford, but JC Country Club is a great course. You might want to look into a membership. I've never heard of a course called Star Fire, that's probably not the name. There's also a good amount of amateur tournaments in the area.

I live pretty close to Red Tail, about 30 minutes from me. It used to be called Roan Valley, but it's under new ownership and they have really turned the place into something nice. It closes for the winter though. Not sure what a membership to JCCC is, but there is a link on their website to inquire about it. http://www.jccountryclub.com/hp_View.aspx

• 1 month later...

Here is my recommendations/feedback (if it is still relavant):

Crockett's Ridge - Good golf course but was better when they had GPS on the carts. The contract expired and they declined to renew. Other than that the track is good but some holes, imo, are a bit cluttered (almost as if they ran out of room). The last time I played there they had a lot of construction going on; maybe course improvements or maybe just new homes going up.

The Cedar's - Okay course. Good for beginners. The back nine has some fun holes and great views.

Warrior's Path - Love this course. It is maintained by the State so funding isn't an issue. Challenging and great views.

Crossing Golf Course - Fun course. Worth playing. Sometimes they let the rough grow and that makes playing there more of a challenge.

Cattails at Meadowview - One of my favorite courses!

Graysburg - 27 Holes off of I-81 is my favorite course in this area for the money. You can pay a flat rate and play all day. It's nice because they have 27 holes.

Big Hollow - Nine hole par 3 course. Has lights on until 11pm in warmer months.

Elizabethton - Fun course and can be challenging from the tips.

Tri-Cities - 27 Holes with a fairly easy track (as long as you keep it straight).

Buffalo Valley - Fun layout! Some tee boxes and greens can be in bad shape due to lack of sun. Usually in great shape during warmer months.

Pine Oaks - Not my favorite. Muni course that gets a lot of traffic. Good for after work summer 9 holes.

Steele Creek - 9 hole course in Bristol. Most holes are not very challenging if you are playing well. Good course to work on your long and short irons.

Clear Creek - Fun course in Bristol, VA off of I-81; Exit 7. The 17th is a little crazy!

RedTail Mountian - Last but not least is my favorite track. A bit of a drive if you live in Johnson City (about 45 mins) but worth it imo. It's in Mtn. City and doesn't get a lot of play. It's under new ownership (Troon if I'm not mistaken) and they have made this quite the course. Rumor has it that it will be going private within the next 2 years or so. PLAY IT WHILE YOU CAN! (closed during winter months)

River Trace - haven't played it but planning to this summer.

There are several other courses in this area not mentioned. You can Google any listed for directions and websites. I left off the CCs/Private courses but I have played most of them. This is a great area to be a golfer!

Enjoy and maybe I'll see ya out on the links!

:drinks:

• 3 months later...

Has anyone played RedTail Mountain yet this year? Do they still have the great special that was running last year? The deal was after 2pm (I think) it was $32 to play w/cart. Great deal IMO. Before 2pm it was $70! I'm just curious if anyone has. I guess I could just call them to find out but I like hearing from my GWRX peers. :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='bub72ck' post='1120236' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:26 AM']Graysburg - 27 Holes off of I-81 that most people forget about because of its location. Just played there on Saturday and its in good shape. Two of the nines (Fodderstack and Knobs) are straight forward and the Chimney Top nine has some blind shots and elevation changes but is still fun to play.[/quote]
I have played Graysburg and it is a fun track. Have not played any of the other courses mentioned but will vouch for Graysburg.

[quote name='LAWLESS23' post='1696694' date='May 14 2009, 09:22 AM']Has anyone played RedTail Mountain yet this year? Do they still have the great special that was running last year? The deal was after 2pm (I think) it was $32 to play w/cart. Great deal IMO. Before 2pm it was $70! I'm just curious if anyone has. I guess I could just call them to find out but I like hearing from my GWRX peers. :)[/quote]

I played it in July and it was in nice shape. The new clubhouse is great. It was my 1st time playing it since Troon took it over and you can tell they have put some money into the place. I have no idea about the special, we won a free round for 4 in a tournament and used it that day. I should play there more often, it's only 25 minutes from my house.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='AppAlum' timestamp='1300501352' post='3068156']
[quote name='is76550' timestamp='1232049417' post='1426297']
Redtail is awesome I live in nc but only half an hour away and it's my favorite public course in TN area
[/quote]

Love the Avatar!
[/quote]

Haha thanks. Would love to see more of that guy.

TM / Titleist / Machine
WITB Link

• 1 month later...

Is pine oaks a lame layout? I saw Allistir Mackenzie was the architect, and I love classical golf courses, but is it too short and too much of a muni, if you know what I mean?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1303922782' post='3190312']
Is pine oaks a lame layout? I saw Allistir Mackenzie was the architect, and I love classical golf courses, but is it too short and too much of a muni, if you know what I mean?
[/quote]

I've never played it but driven by many times. Honestly it looks pretty rough. I may be dead wrong but its not hard to tell if a course isn't in great shape by driving by.

You going to be visiting the area and need places to play?

SIK Pro Custom

I'll be back there May 13-21st, but my brother lives in Johnson City. I was back there a year ago and we played Redtail Mountain, Crocketts Ridge, and another 27 hole facility. I think this year we're gonna play Warriors Path, Crocketts, the 27 hole'r, Johnson City CC, and one other private one. Can't wait, I love playing golf out there!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1304135570' post='3197468']
T, are The Virginian and Old Farm strictly private?
[/quote]

If you have ever played Glenrochie in Abingdon it was badly damaged by a tornado last week. The course lost hundreds of large trees. Haven't heard anything as far as plans but it will be quite some time before everything is up and going there again.

SIK Pro Custom