2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

ZX7 vs 0317CB vs ?

bmyles

I've been in the Srixon 765's for the past 7 years, hard to believe I've had the same irons for that long.  It's time for a replacement set however.  I love the feel, forgiveness, low launch and size of them but over the past year with swing changes my spin numbers are now slightly lower than I'd like even with a spinny ball, averaging just below 6K with 7 iron, creating some fliers.  I'm looking for an iron that is similar to the Srixon 7 series in forgiveness, feel, footprint and launch but provides a little more spin.  Tried the Titleist T150 and new Apex Pro this week and both spun significantly less for me the Srixons, which surprised me with the Titleist as I expected it to be exactly what I was looking for. Footprint of T100, 620CB etc are a little too small for me.  Clubs similar in size to Srixons seem to hollow body these days and therefore unlikely to produce enough spin for me.   After extensive research, it seems like the ZX7 with 1 degree added loft or the PXG 0317CB seem most likely to meet those requirements.  Has anyone compared these two head to head and can comment on relative spin and other qualities?  Any recommendations for other clubs to consider?

2 hours ago, aswile said:

Ping I230 appears to spin more than the ZX7 for me, especially with short iron

love both zx7 and CB. I currently have i230, zx7 and CB. so I can speak on all 3. Let's just say I am having a hard time getting rid of any of the 3, and have actually bought and sold the zx7 AND i230, 3 times now. My consensus is this... CB is best of all 3. I will share below!

Zx7 in my opinion are almost always the best feeling irons out there, year after year. So feel for me always goes to the srixons. I have never had any issues with spin or fliers with any of the irons I'm mentioning. You can easily change spin by simply adding loft or changing the ball. Sounds like you get along with v sole since you've gamed srixon for years so that's no issue. 

i230, oh where do I even start. I love ping. I think they make some of the best performing clubs every year. One of the few companies that continues to push engineering and provide products when they feel they can improve on their predecessor. Anyways, the i230 are some of the best performing irons I've hit(same as i210). I think if you can get past the larger sole, these should be on everyone's radar. The spin and control on these are crazy consistent. And their long irons are stupid easy to hit and get in the air. 

CB... these in my opinion are both of the irons above, but squeezed into one iron! I think these feel almost as good as the srixons, but perform like the i230. Which has me always coming back to these. For me, they spin and perform just like the i230 but feel like the zx7(almost), and have the sole of something in the middle of zx7 and i230. I am not going to claim them to be the perfect iron, but if you're anything like me and LOVE something soft like a srixon but the attributes of a ping iron, you're headed in the right direction. I really do think the CB are one of the best irons I've hit in a long time. For some reason, they look small and have thinner soles, but I never find myself chunking or getting heavy. They cut right through and perform. Some of my best iron striking this year and I truly give most of the credit to the switch to the CB(maybe a little cause I'm playing more). I would give the CB a try. That ends my rant!! 

• Like 4

The cobra king tours look great! 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

I played with the OG ZX7 for two years and loved them. Like you, for me they were a little lower spin than I would like and I also had a tendency to turn them over too easily (my miss). I just switched to i230 and they are giving me the extra spin and control I needed, with a little more forgiveness as well. 

• Like 1

I had the i230s and really liked them. Played really well with them. I didn’t like them enough to switch to the 0317s. As stated earlier, the turf interaction and feel on the pxgs are better for me.  I hit the ball straighter and the distance control is tight. I’m going to try the t150/200 combos but I’m not giving up the 0317s. 

I had the Srixon 785s and the 0317CB's looked very, very similar at address, a bit thinner topline but nothing crazy just very familiar and better feeling. They also spin plenty. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 9/10/2023 at 11:54 AM, toastinato said:

love both zx7 and CB. I currently have i230, zx7 and CB. so I can speak on all 3. Let's just say I am having a hard time getting rid of any of the 3, and have actually bought and sold the zx7 AND i230, 3 times now. My consensus is this... CB is best of all 3. I will share below!

Zx7 in my opinion are almost always the best feeling irons out there, year after year. So feel for me always goes to the srixons. I have never had any issues with spin or fliers with any of the irons I'm mentioning. You can easily change spin by simply adding loft or changing the ball. Sounds like you get along with v sole since you've gamed srixon for years so that's no issue. 

i230, oh where do I even start. I love ping. I think they make some of the best performing clubs every year. One of the few companies that continues to push engineering and provide products when they feel they can improve on their predecessor. Anyways, the i230 are some of the best performing irons I've hit(same as i210). I think if you can get past the larger sole, these should be on everyone's radar. The spin and control on these are crazy consistent. And their long irons are stupid easy to hit and get in the air. 

CB... these in my opinion are both of the irons above, but squeezed into one iron! I think these feel almost as good as the srixons, but perform like the i230. Which has me always coming back to these. For me, they spin and perform just like the i230 but feel like the zx7(almost), and have the sole of something in the middle of zx7 and i230. I am not going to claim them to be the perfect iron, but if you're anything like me and LOVE something soft like a srixon but the attributes of a ping iron, you're headed in the right direction. I really do think the CB are one of the best irons I've hit in a long time. For some reason, they look small and have thinner soles, but I never find myself chunking or getting heavy. They cut right through and perform. Some of my best iron striking this year and I truly give most of the credit to the switch to the CB(maybe a little cause I'm playing more). I would give the CB a try. That ends my rant!! 

I’ve had both the zx7 and i230 and just got fit for the 0317 CB.  I agree 100% with everything Toastinato said: to the letter.

• Like 1

Don't sleep on the Wilson CB's. They're quite comparable to the ZX7's and actually beat them when I tested them. They're more traditional lofts (34* 7i) so you will see some spin just from the loft difference. Bonus: they're on sale right now since the new versions are coming out...$900 for a 4-P set.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6