Bethpage Black

theweekendgolfer543

Hi WRXers,

Quick question - I see some tee times post 3 pm for 18 holes at Bethpage Black. I can't imagine you get all 18 in before dark this time of year. What do you think is the latest tee time to get 18 in? I don't want to schedule something and just get 13 holes in as I am vacationing here for golf and would just rather play another course if I can't get it in. Any local advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Depends on how many balls you lose and the pace of the folks in front of you. I've played it in 3-1/2 hours and I've played it in 6 (tournament). Totally depends on a few things you can control and several more you can't. Personally, I wouldn't tee off after 1:30. That'll give you roughly 4 hours before official sunset and you'll have enough daylight to play another hole, maybe two after that, if necessary.

Edited by nitram

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

17 minutes ago, nitram said:

Depends on how many balls you lose and the pace of the folks in front of you. I've played it in 3-1/2 hours and I've played it in 6 (tournament). Totally depends on a few things you can control and several more you can't. Personally, I wouldn't tee off after 1:30. That'll give you roughly 4 hours before official sunset and you'll have enough daylight to play another hole, maybe two after that, if necessary.

Thanks! One additional question - what's the etiquette for playing the championship tees? I'm a 7 handicap where putting seems to be where I lose strokes. Typically carry a drive (with no wind) about 300 but obviously have my misses (typically a block right). Moral of the story, I'd like to get as close to the "PGA" experience as possible because I think that's part of the allure but also want to respect the course, it's difficulty and the others playing with (likely being paired up) and behind me. 

9 minutes ago, theweekendgolfer543 said:

Thanks! One additional question - what's the etiquette for playing the championship tees? I'm a 7 handicap where putting seems to be where I lose strokes. Typically carry a drive (with no wind) about 300 but obviously have my misses (typically a block right). Moral of the story, I'd like to get as close to the "PGA" experience as possible because I think that's part of the allure but also want to respect the course, it's difficulty and the others playing with (likely being paired up) and behind me. 

you're fine to play the tips!  i'd allocate ~5 hours to play the round, sunset is 6:30ish these days

• Like 1

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

34 minutes ago, theweekendgolfer543 said:

I played it for the first time on Memorial Day this year. I was playing as around a 10-12 at the time, with two of my buddies who are scratch, and one single who was a single digit. We played tips. Like you I wanted the "Full experience" I shot 92 and had no issues playing the tips and no one else did either as long as you keep pace. My favorite round I've played to this day playing courses all up and down New England. The pace was a little slow that day, idk how it typically is.

1 hour ago, theweekendgolfer543 said:

Knock yourself out brother. Just bring plenty of balls and lower expectations.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, theweekendgolfer543 said:

Little late, but they have three sets up tees from which to choose. The true "championship" tees are further back from that, usually on a separate tee box; they are only designated by a post, with no tee markers. You might be able to get away with teeing it up there every hole, but its long and there are not tee markers. (side note: the most ironic thing about Bethpage is that its a public course that people treat like a public course, but it also hosts major championships. So you'll be standing where US Open shots where struck, but there will also be trash in the high grass in some places and sometimes hack play there. That said, if they actually put out championship tee markers than every 20 handicap would try to play from there.) 

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, ralemb said:

Hey all, I will be in NY for a week in October, I am German and I need to know if there is any chance to get a tee time with the 5-day system or if this is basically not possible and only with overnight stay locally at the club what I read about.

Is there ANY chance to get a tee time?

If you're a single, you can show up at Black early in the morning and you can usually get a time. You may have to wait a few hours, but you can have something to eat in the grill room and hit balls at the range while you wait. If you're trying to get a foursome at a reasonable time (that is, a time that will enable you to finish before dark), the odds are against you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, callawayjay said:

Website says Mid April open. Will be in NYC the weekend of the 13-14th and want to play as a single. Will it be open then? And if so I just show up early and wait? Or grab a time the night before??

Black normally opens around April 15th so you might luck out.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:05 PM, woofelfin said:

Can you book as a out of state resident?

Yes.  Last July, my son and I got the second tee time of the day.   We left our house at 4am to drive up from NJ.  Brutally hot and humid day and it had rained hard overnight so the course was really soft on the front nine.  Heat index was near 100 by noon.  We played the tips and I played well on the front nine with one birdie and a bunch of pars but the heat and the walk really got to me on the back and my game completely fell apart finishing with a 94 as a 53 year old 6 handicap and my son shot an 82.  That walk in the heat is no joke.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, go to the website, there's a way to get 2-day access (e.g. Thursday night for Saturday).  You can pick up cancellations, etc and jump in to a tee time.  

I'd go during the week given the choice, slightly lighter crowds, if you can get a day off from work, you can find twosomes and threesome reservations and jump in with them. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nutmegchoi said:

Did you get to play?

I did!!! I was able to get a 220 time Tuesday but got out there about 9-910 to see about going sooner. I paid my fee but the guy in ticket area said look at the board and see if anyone doesn’t pay or show up on time. He said and the board showed booked up until 1050. No problem. I’ll wait. 

put my bag down and strolled to the first tee area and by now it’s 925. See 3 guys on the tee….i ask if there’s 4?  He said no. 

may I join? Showed him my paid ticket…hurry up he says. Wow!!

no warm up. No stretch. Teed off at 930. And it was absolutely amazing 

perfect weather. The guys I played with were cool as hell. Could not have been a better day!!!

IMG_0216.heifersIMG_0200.heic IMG_0175.heic

• Like 1

8 hours ago, callawayjay said:

I did!!! I was able to get a 220 time Tuesday but got out there about 9-910 to see about going sooner. I paid my fee but the guy in ticket area said look at the board and see if anyone doesn’t pay or show up on time. He said and the board showed booked up until 1050. No problem. I’ll wait. 

put my bag down and strolled to the first tee area and by now it’s 925. See 3 guys on the tee….i ask if there’s 4?  He said no. 

may I join? Showed him my paid ticket…hurry up he says. Wow!!

no warm up. No stretch. Teed off at 930. And it was absolutely amazing 

perfect weather. The guys I played with were cool as hell. Could not have been a better day!!!

IMG_0216.heifers 1.8 MB · 1 download IMG_0200.heic 2.24 MB · 0 downloads   IMG_0175.heic 2.31 MB · 0 downloads

Happy to hear you got to play with some cool peeps.

Most people I played The Black were better than average players and better people.

Hope you get to come back soon!

• Like 1