Ben Hogan LEADER irons

Hi all, does anyone have some info on the Ben Hogan Leader iron set?

I picked up a set today. Came with the Equalizer and the Legend SW if that helps date the clubs.

I have Googled and checked that eWarf site and I found nothing. I can take pictures tomorrow if need be.

As always, thanks a ton!!!!!!!

Oh, the have a ruler straight bottom weighting VERY similar to the Jack Nicklaus Muirfields 20th.

@RMach could you post pics of the back, face, sole, shaft band & grip....I've never heard of a Leader iron set made in US. Pictures always help identify. 

The Equalizer was what Ben Hogan called the PW...it's on all the clubs while he was associated w/the company. I think the Callaway era might have used PW.

Waiting on pins & needles, or maybe cleats & tees, for the Hoganistias to chime in here...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bcstones said:

@RMach could you post pics of the back, face, sole, shaft band & grip....I've never heard of a Leader iron set made in US. Pictures always help identify. 

The Equalizer was what Ben Hogan called the PW...it's on all the clubs while he was associated w/the company. I think the Callaway era might have used PW.

Waiting on pins & needles, or maybe cleats & tees, for the Hoganistias to chime in here...

Thanks a bunch! But I cannot get to the clubs until tomorrow again. My back is froze solid, sorry for real.

But they are barn stored and all I could do today was polish the 3-iron. It looks so Badass I swear on all things holy. It has the crest and Leader on the face, Ben Hogan on the bottom and red block style numbers. The top "bar" is muted for the size of the face sandblasting which I think is a nice touch.

@LeoLeo99 WOW! great pics....They don't look like anything made in the US (at least according to that poster thingie). They kinda sorta remind me of the 1980s Director model, but only kinda sorta.

Maybe - UK or Japan. Hogan had a 20year history w/Slazenger, so perhaps one of the UK chaps might know far more....

Edited by bcstones

48 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Hi thanks a bunch!!! I am trying to upload a picture but YES those are the clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

IMG_20231018_190134972.jpg.213b10cc8484a7fa56864378692ce6ef.jpgIMG_20231018_185045063.jpg.dd682ef4f72887f1bd065156d90d25d8.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bcstones said:

@RMach thanks...do any have the shaft band? That also might help....those look great, congrats!

Hey, from the info I have gotten so far, is it possible these are Australian? I ask because there where 2 hybrid Dunlops in the Arnold Palmer bag plus a pair of Dunlop golf shoes. I always thought Dunlop was Australian.

4 minutes ago, RMach said:

Hey, from the info I have gotten so far, is it possible these are Australian? I ask because there where 2 hybrid Dunlops in the Arnold Palmer bag plus a pair of Dunlop golf shoes. I always thought Dunlop was Australian.

Huh, I've always thought of Dunlop as in tires & US...I only mentioned Australia cuz I've seen some Slanzenger clubs w/shafts that said made in Australia...Tho Dunlop, like MacGregor & Wilson had factories/forges in Scotland & England way back around the turn of the 20th century, if I remember some of the video's of @Jiggered on his YouTube channel...

12 minutes ago, RMach said:

True temper Dynamic S

Not Apex? Interesting.

If they are an overseas model (made under licence), then I don't think they are Japanese as I've never seen those before on Japanese auction sites (though I don't check for Hogan clubs that often).

Dunlop were originally British, but at some point, the Dunlop brand (trademarks?) across the world seems to have split up into different regions and countries. I'm not really sure of the correct terminology to describe this. 

Anyway, Sumitomo Rubber set about acquiring Dunlop at some point. Over a number of years, it bought up the trademarks across the world, starting--I think--with Japan first, and finally completed the acquisition in 2016 or 17. It took them years, and I still think Goodyear has some of Dunlop's North American rights.

In Japan, Dunlop rebranded to Srixon, and I think the first Srixon-branded clubs came out around 2006~7. Not entirely sure, but I have a set of Srixon Pro 100 blades, and they pre-date the 2010 groove rule.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Huh, I've always thought of Dunlop as in tires & US...I only mentioned Australia cuz I've seen some Slanzenger clubs w/shafts that said made in Australia...Tho Dunlop, like MacGregor & Wilson had factories/forges in Scotland & England way back around the turn of the 20th century, if I remember some of the video's of @Jiggered on his YouTube channel...

Slazenger bro, German. But, there are a ton of US, English and German companies doing freaky stuff in Australia. Check out the AMC Javelin in MadMax. Nothing like the US version. So.... Maybe golf too? Reaching for straws bro.

23 minutes ago, RMach said:

True temper Dynamic S

I like you brother. So here goes. I saw the BH star and the "ER". I thought they MIGHT be Directors because it was a pic from 20' out. Free shoes my size, Carbite putter, 2-hybrids (yuk), 3 putters the Equalizer and the Liberator(?) SW plus balls and tees and and and a fat wheel cart that has golf ball hub caps.....FREE

Just now, RMach said:

I like you brother. So here goes. I saw the BH star and the "ER". I thought they MIGHT be Directors because it was a pic from 20' out. Free shoes my size, Carbite putter, 2-hybrids (yuk), 3 putters the Equalizer and the Liberator(?) SW plus balls and tees and and and a fat wheel cart that has golf ball hub caps.....FREE

Arnold Palmer Cart Bag too.

41 minutes ago, bcstones said:

I played a lot of golf with the Dunlop Maxfli Blue Dot balls back in the day.   Here is a little history I stole from wikipedia.

Maxfli is a brand of sports equipment, most recognized for its golf balls, currently owned by Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's purchased the brand from TaylorMade Golf on February 11, 2008; however, the Noodle trademark and all golf ball patents remained with TMaG.[1]

Golf products currently commercialized under the "Maxfli" brand include bags, gloves, and accessories such as training aids and umbrellas.

Maxfli was previously owned by the Dunlop Slazenger group before its acquisition by TMaG in 2003.[2] While under TMaG ownership, the brand underwent a change in focus from premium balls, such as Black Max and Red Max, to distance balls such as the Fire and the already successful Noodle, as TMaG looked to use its own TaylorMade brand in the high end golf ball market. The Maxfli brand and trademark was originally created by the sports division of the Dunlop Tire and Rubber Corporation, headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RMach said:

Slazenger bro, German.

29 minutes ago, RMach said:

Liberator(?) SW

While the name might be of German origin, the Golf Company is definitely UK in origin. 
Somewhere I've come across that name "liberator" associated w/a sand wedge, tho I'm not sure it was a Hogan, unless it was an old MacGregor Ben Hogan model....or was it a Wilson or H&B....now you have me going - I'll be searching for that name in wedge history...

48 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Not Apex? Interesting.

If they are an overseas model (made under licence), then I don't think they are Japanese as I've never seen those before on Japanese auction sites (though I don't check for Hogan clubs that often).

Dunlop were originally British, but at some point, the Dunlop brand (trademarks?) across the world seems to have split up into different regions and countries. I'm not really sure of the correct terminology to describe this. 

Anyway, Sumitomo Rubber set about acquiring Dunlop at some point. Over a number of years, it bought up the trademarks across the world, starting--I think--with Japan first, and finally completed the acquisition in 2016 or 17. It took them years, and I still think Goodyear has some of Dunlop's North American rights.

In Japan, Dunlop rebranded to Srixon, and I think the first Srixon-branded clubs came out around 2006~7. Not entirely sure, but I have a set of Srixon Pro 100 blades, and they pre-date the 2010 groove rule.

Thanks for the history....I remember a short while ago, I was doing some searching of a Dunlop putter & came across the Srixon name, tho gotta admit I recall it seemed to have more to do w/golf balls than clubs...I kinda sorta remember playing them awhile ago

I do know I prefer Dunlop tires on my scooter...when I can afford them 😂

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

While the name might be of German origin, the Golf Company is definitely UK in origin. 
Somewhere I've come across that name "liberator" associated w/a sand wedge, tho I'm not sure it was a Hogan, unless it was an old MacGregor Ben Hogan model....or was it a Wilson or H&B....now you have me going - I'll be searching for that name in wedge history...

Yes, Slazenger was set up in the 1880s by the Slazenger brothers. Not sure about the origins of the name, but the brothers were Jewish. Maybe an Anglicized spelling of a German or Eastern European name? Really don't know.

I used to like Slazenger golf balls; their balatas were my ball of choice for important competitions, and I liked their wound surlyns as well. In fact, I found a sleeve of unused Slazenger wound surlyns among a bulk auction of old golf balls, and have used two of them in vintage rounds. 

I'm saving the last one for a special occasion.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 4:19 PM, RMach said:

Hi all, does anyone have some info on the Ben Hogan Leader iron set?

I picked up a set today. Came with the Equalizer and the Legend SW if that helps date the clubs.

I have Googled and checked that eWarf site and I found nothing. I can take pictures tomorrow if need be.

As always, thanks a ton!!!!!!!

Oh, the have a ruler straight bottom weighting VERY similar to the Jack Nicklaus Muirfields 20th.

Checked the Maltby Guide....   the Leader set were forged carbon steel, produced in 1983 and 1984.  

That it's in the Guide would suggest to me these are a US product.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Checked the Maltby Guide....   the Leader set were forged carbon steel, produced in 1983 and 1984.  

That it's in the Guide would suggest to me these are a US product.  <shrug>

Thanks, don't know where my mind was....never occurred to me to check Maltby's (there's no emoji for a "head slap", so imagine it here). The mere fact it's in Maltby's at all heavily suggests it's US made. Wonder why it wasn't on that picture of the Hogan line?
  @Jiggered thanks 

Edited by bcstones

20 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Wonder why it wasn't on that picture of the Hogan line?

Maybe Jeff Sheets didn't have a sample clubhead when that pic was being put together?  

• Like 2

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

25 minutes ago, bcstones said:

never occurred to me to check Maltby's

You're not alone.  I first tried digging up Ironfinder in the Wayback Machine   🙂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Maybe Jeff Sheets didn't have a sample clubhead when that pic was being put together?  

I just emailed him...he has a great site. I enjoy checking in the "Past Projects" section.
thinking about it & checking the picture/poster - he doesn't mention Magnum Plus line either, they were only made 1991.

Edited by bcstones

@NRJyzr and here is Jeff Sheets response (explains why some irons are missing also):

"The post was compiled of all the irons made available to me from some veteran Hogan company employees.  I photographed each model they provided to me for reference and the Leader irons were not provided to me.  There are other models also missing because they were not provided."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1