Mistwood Golf Club in Romeoville. Whats your take on the place?

Irishman1979

It’s a good course. Faux links with risk/reward par 5’s and good green complexes. There’s a full range and practice area as well. Is it the best course in the area? Nah, but that’s subjective and I’d comfortably put it in the top 10. Personally, I don’t find the course all that challenging though. The par threes are only okay and the course closes with a throw away par 3 and a meh par 5. It’s pricy on weekends but I walked it last year on a weekday for $69. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 11/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Irishman1979 said:

Mistwood Golf Club in Romeoville, just curious as to know your opinions on it.  They claim to be the best golf course in all of Chicagoland and lots of people love it, but  I've also heard from people its overrated. 

Your thoughts please.

Similar thoughts as above. It isn't the best public course in Chicagoland, but it is good. Really nice facilities too. I don't feel like I ever play the quickest rounds there. I'd probably say top 5 public. 

I'll be that guy... I got a hole in one on 14, 214 over the water... Great hole, maybe the best in Chicago 😂 My opinion may be biased. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

Similar thoughts as above. It isn't the best public course in Chicagoland, but it is good. Really nice facilities too. I don't feel like I ever play the quickest rounds there. I'd probably say top 5 public. 

I'll be that guy... I got a hole in one on 14, 214 over the water... Great hole, maybe the best in Chicago 😂 My opinion may be biased. 

Yes that is a great par 3, definitely the strongest one on that course in regards to execution and the green complex. If they put the pin back on the top shelf its almost impossible to get close to on your tee shot. Par is a great score there. 

Where do you rank Mistwood compared to the other public courses? List your top 5 if you don't mind.

I'll rank mine for you in regards to course layout. Now part of me wants to rank Stonewall Orchard in the top 5 but I've never played it so until I do that I can't rank it. But I've heard its outstanding.

1. Cog Hill - Dubsdread

2. Cantigny

3. Prairie Landing

4. Village Links of Glen Ellyn

5. Mistwood

Two courses that I do believe are in the top 10 in regards to course layout are Ruffled Feathers and Klein Creek. Ruffled hasn't been in good condition in years but Klein Creek has new owners and they are doing a wonderful job bringing that place back to where it was when it was first built. They actually want to invest $$$ back into that course and its been a long time since that place has had owners who actually take pride in the place. They also renovated many of the bunkers and the sand is very good. If the place continues to go in the direction its going in, it may become a top 5 course for me again.  Orchard Valley is another track I really admire along with Arrowhead in Wheaton and the two courses at St. Andrews in regards to course layout. 

Edited by Irishman1979

6 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

Yes that is a great par 3, definitely the strongest one on that course in regards to execution and the green complex. If they put the pin back on the top shelf its almost impossible to get close to on your tee shot. Par is a great score there. 

Where do you rank Mistwood compared to the other public courses? List your top 5 if you don't mind.

I'll rank mine for you in regards to course layout. Now part of me wants to rank Stonewall Orchard in the top 5 but I've never played it so until I do that I can't rank it. But I've heard its outstanding.

1. Cog Hill - Dubsdread

2. Cantigny

3. Prairie Landing

4. Village Links of Glen Ellyn

5. Mistwood

Two courses that I do believe are in the top 10 in regards to course layout are Ruffled Feathers and Klein Creek. Ruffled hasn't been in good condition in years but Klein Creek has new owners and they are doing a wonderful job bringing that place back to where it was when it was first built. They actually want to invest $$$ back into that course and its been a long time since that place has had owners who actually take pride in the place. They also renovated many of the bunkers and the sand is very good. If the place continues to go in the direction its going in, it may become a top 5 course for me again.  Orchard Valley is another track I really admire along with Arrowhead in Wheaton and the two courses at St. Andrews in regards to course layout. 

1 Cog Hill

2 Glen Club for the course only. I have zero interest in playing there though, every time I have been there it has been super unpleasant. 

3 Preserve at Oak Meadows

4 Blackstone

5 Mistwood.

TPC Deere Run would be #2 if we included it. 1,2 would be set for me then there are like 10 courses that can be interchanged 3-10. 

Mistwood is around a 30 minute drive for me but it's not in my top 5 public courses within that similar distance.

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

It's an average course with a lot of makeup.  Prior to the re-design it's not really a course anybody talked about, that to me is a perfect indication of what the course actually is.   The two par 5's on the front look identical, and play identical from the tee, and not much different moving up the hole despite one being longer than the other.   A lot of the Par 4s feel and play similar, the 1st hole is an awkward starting hole (almost would call it a stupid hole) and hole 18 is amusingly bad in that they use bunkers and hazards to force it into being a 3 shot par 5 despite it's short length.  Conditions is about the only award I'd give it, outside of that the course itself wouldn't see my top 25.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 11/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, ldchristopher said:

It’s a good course. Faux links with risk/reward par 5’s and good green complexes. There’s a full range and practice area as well. Is it the best course in the area? Nah, but that’s subjective and I’d comfortably put it in the top 10. Personally, I don’t find the course all that challenging though. The par threes are only okay and the course closes with a throw away par 3 and a meh par 5. It’s pricy on weekends but I walked it last year on a weekday for $69. 

I would throw 16 into that group of meh, a 5 iron and a wedge with a huge fairway to put it in.  They really try to push how special that corner of the course is, but really outside of 14 (which is a spectacular hole) it's just a fancy version of the starting holes at Lost Marsh.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I would throw 16 into that group of meh, a 5 iron and a wedge with a huge fairway to put it in.  They really try to push how special that corner of the course is, but really outside of 14 (which is a spectacular hole) it's just a fancy version of the starting holes at Lost Marsh.

From the Golds its a great par 4. Definitely not a 5 iron, wedge. A solid 2 iron maybe but its approximately a 235-240 yard carry over the water from the tips so most guys will be hitting 3 or 5 wood from back there. If the wind is in your face a driver is not uncommon for most players.

Edited by Irishman1979

1 hour ago, Irishman1979 said:

From the Golds its a great par 4. Definitely not a 5 iron, wedge. A solid 2 iron maybe but its approximately a 235-240 yard carry over the water from the tips so most guys will be hitting 3 or 5 wood from back there. If the wind is in your face a driver is not uncommon for most players.

It's not even close to 240 to clear the water from even the tournament tees.   The gold tee's last two times I've been there have been up a box which takes off another 15 yards or so. 240 gets you past the bunker from there.  I'm not a short hitter, but not a long one, driver would almost put me through the fairway.  The guys I play with are all longer than I am and could not hit driver there unless it's a hurricane wind.

Screenshot_20231130_140336_TheGrint.jpg

Edited by MountainKing

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Why a player would you even flirt with only a 206 carry is beyond me. Technically yes that is the distance but when you factor in wind (Hole normally plays into a prevailing wind) and a comfortable carry to the right of that bunker, you are looking at a 235-240 carry to be where you want. This is just the way my mind works when managing that golf hole. So let me explain further........

If you are playing to the Correct spot, then a 235-240 yard carry is the number you play to and you could even get away with 225 to lay back a little bit. Which like I said before is a good driving iron or 5 wood off that tee to comfortably carry the water and set yourself up to attack the hole on their second shot.  Also I do agree with you that driver is too much club if in fact the tee is moved up because that fairway usually is pretty firm, and yes for some players driver is too much club no matter the circumstances even from the tips.

Edited by Irishman1979

The best thing about the 15th and 16th holes is listening to the hum of the power lines next door.

Edited by B-Man
  • Haha 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

17 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

Why a player would you even flirt with only a 206 carry is beyond me. Technically yes that is the distance but when you factor in wind (Hole normally plays into a prevailing wind) and a comfortable carry to the right of that bunker, you are looking at a 235-240 carry to be where you want. This is just the way my mind works when managing that golf hole. So let me explain further........

If you are playing to the Correct spot, then a 235-240 yard carry is the number you play to and you could even get away with 225 to lay back a little bit. Which like I said before is a good driving iron or 5 wood off that tee to comfortably carry the water and set yourself up to attack the hole on their second shot.  Also I do agree with you that driver is too much club if in fact the tee is moved up because that fairway usually is pretty firm, and yes for some players driver is too much club no matter the circumstances even from the tips.

You're the one who said it and I'm going off of what you said, which was:

" its approximately a 235-240 yard carry over the water from the tips"

That's a very different statement from "you are looking at a 235-240 carry to be where you want"

As far as hole strategy - for me I wouldn't want the bunker to be in play so I like last time I would just play 220 to the right side of the fairway, or a 240 shot to get over the bunker (in case the ball heads that way).  It's not a really exciting hole regardless, you have a 60-80 yard landing area on a hole that doesn't require a driver.  IMO moving the tees up to bring the hole to 300 or less and make it reachable with a drive would really improve it, turn it from a boring target golf hole to a solid risk reward hole.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

20 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

You're the one who said it and I'm going off of what you said, which was:

" its approximately a 235-240 yard carry over the water from the tips"

That's a very different statement from "you are looking at a 235-240 carry to be where you want"

As far as hole strategy - for me I wouldn't want the bunker to be in play so I like last time I would just play 220 to the right side of the fairway, or a 240 shot to get over the bunker (in case the ball heads that way).  It's not a really exciting hole regardless, you have a 60-80 yard landing area on a hole that doesn't require a driver.  IMO moving the tees up to bring the hole to 300 or less and make it reachable with a drive would really improve it, turn it from a boring target golf hole to a solid risk reward hole.

While making it drivable may make it more fun, those two holes back to back would take an hour to play on a weekend morning 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mci711 said:

While making it drivable may make it more fun, those two holes back to back would take an hour to play on a weekend morning 😂

You're not wrong!   That corner of the course for sure turns into a crawl every time.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

So back to the original subject. Is Mistwood Overrated or underrated?

Your thoughts?

If we're talking just the golf course, overrated. 

As I said earlier - if the course is so great, where was the hype and where was it in the rankings prior to the "re-design"? The redesign changed very little of the actual course, so one would think if it's that great, it would have been ranked prior.  It's an average course with a lot of makeup on it!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

So back to the original subject. Is Mistwood Overrated or underrated?

Your thoughts?

You seem pretty invested on getting takes on Mistwood. My question to you... Why???

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

On 12/1/2023 at 2:37 PM, TheBear95 said:

You seem pretty invested on getting takes on Mistwood. My question to you... Why???

Maybe he struggles forming his own opinion

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

There are golfers who prefer courses with a zillion amenities. Full ranges with lots of targets, putting and chipping areas, big clubhouse so it feels like a country club. There are also people who just like playing expensive courses. I’m neither of those types of golfer so it’s very rare that I play Moistwood. It’s a good course but it leaves a sour taste because it closes so pedestrian. 16 is 5 wood/wedge, 17 is a 7-9 iron depending on pin location, and 18 is a short 5. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 12/1/2023 at 2:37 PM, TheBear95 said:

Why not? They do claim to be the best public course in Chicagoland. Need peoples opinions if that is true if Im gonna invest the amount of money they are asking for golf. Are they full of themselves or is that for real that they provide the best golf course in Chicagoland? Why would they market themselves as being the best if in fact that was bs? 

Are they or not?

Edited by Irishman1979

13 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

Why not? They do claim to be the best public course in Chicagoland. Need peoples opinions if that is true if Im gonna invest the amount of money they are asking for golf. Are they full of themselves or is that for real that they provide the best golf course in Chicagoland? Why would they market themselves as being the best if in fact that was bs? 

Are they or not?

Simple answer, no. Decent enough course, but for me it wouldn't make the top 10. 'Probably the 2nd best course in that area behind Dubs if travel is a factor, although with I-355 one can get to a number of better courses along the I-88 corridor fairly easily.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Simple answer, no. Decent enough course, but for me it wouldn't make the top 10. 'Probably the 2nd best course in that area behind Dubs if travel is a factor, although with I-355 one can get to a number of better courses along the I-88 corridor fairly easily.

So they lie to market themselves. Good to know.

54 minutes ago, Irishman1979 said:

So they lie to market themselves. Good to know.

Not really lying.. "Best course" is subjective and impossible to actually define. They were probably the highest ranked on something ridiculous like TripAdvisor. Its like every restaurant somehow has a "world's famous cheeseburger" or whatever. 

If cost is not factoring into the quality of the course, then I’d rank Mistwood after Dubs, Prairie Landing, The Glen Club, Cantigny, Highlands of Elgin, Stonewall, Harborside and Thunderhawk. Since Harborside has two courses that puts it at exactly 10th. In my opinion, it’s better than Blackstone, Pine Meadow, White Tail Ridge, White Deer Run, Bolingbrook, Village Links, Arrowhead, and other high end public and semi-private courses in the area. But the best? Like, objectively the BEST course in the area? Nah. 
Now I’ll wait for everyone to rip on me for preferring Harborside or not including The Preserve (never played it) or whatever. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

If cost is not factoring into the quality of the course, then I’d rank Mistwood after Dubs, Prairie Landing, The Glen Club, Cantigny, Highlands of Elgin, Stonewall, Harborside and Thunderhawk. Since Harborside has two courses that puts it at exactly 10th. In my opinion, it’s better than Blackstone, Pine Meadow, White Tail Ridge, White Deer Run, Bolingbrook, Village Links, Arrowhead, and other high end public and semi-private courses in the area. But the best? Like, objectively the BEST course in the area? Nah. 
Now I’ll wait for everyone to rip on me for preferring Harborside or not including The Preserve (never played it) or whatever. 

Damn disclaimer at the end changed my response...you should play the preserve though! 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

Its a shame that this course isn't as good as their marketing department makes it seem to be. Not even a top 10 course for what they charge? Thats a joke!!!! 

I mean…golf is expensive. Again, I walked it for $69 last year. Get it on a weekday after 12:00 and it’s not absurdly priced. It’s a very walkable course. All the courses I listed as subjectively “better” are comparatively priced or higher except maybe Thunderhawk and definitely Highlands of Elgin. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II