2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Favorite Lost to the Public (Turned Private) Course

19 hours ago, DCCarpenter said:

I’m new to golf in the last few years and never got to play Atlantic City Country Club when it was public. Have heard nothing but good things. 

I'm embarrassed that most of these photos are out of focus, but FWIW, you can click of the photo below for a photo tour of Atlantic City CC. It's a really good course, as are almost all of the ones mentioned in this thread.

Atlantic City Country Club

• Thanks 1

Would echo the Dormie Club sentiments but also add one from my current state.

Harvester in Rhodes, IA.  Despite widely renowned as the best course in the state, I never did make it out there when it was public.  Since going private, I've only heard even more exceptional reviews about the course, the conditioning, and the vibe.  Hopefully be able to make it out there next year.

8 hours ago, WilderMan said:

I would second this, got to play it once in 2020 felt like it was right there with wekopa.

Is it fully private? I always considered it like semi-private since you can play it through troon. But i aint local so im guessing it lost some local access play.

21 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

Is it fully private? I always considered it like semi-private since you can play it through troon. But i aint local so im guessing it lost some local access play.

Yeah usually any time someone on this forum says "Wickenburg Ranch is private now", another person comes along and says "BUT BUT BUT you can play it if you have a Troon card." Which is true, if you pay at least $500-$600+ for a Troon Twosome Card, and are cool with the time restrictions, which last I heard at WR were after 10am on weekends and noon on weekdays. Personally I consider it to be "private" since the average Joe off the street can't just make a tee time and get on without jumping through hoops like spending $500+ on a Troon Card he might not already have.

Edited by Bonneville85308

Just now, Golf Pig said:

I'm selfishly hoping that Sterling Grove in west Phoenix stays public for as long as possible.

I don't know how many resident members they currently have, but based on the current status of the build-out of the community, how many of the completed houses are empty and owned by flippers, and the fact that they are still pushing non-resident memberships, you should be good for quite a few years in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, sabram said:

I've played both iterations. Even though they use the same corridors, they are two very different courses.  The Biltmore was in rough shape. I suppose the municipality could have put some money into it to bring it back to it's no glory, but that wasn't going to happen. The course was originally private before it was public. Now private again, but as a significantly  different course.

Click on a photo below to see photo tour of each version of the course.

Belleview Biltmore Golf Course

Belleview Biltmore

The Pelican Club

Pelican Club

Conditioning doesn't equal great 

While Pelican might have great course conditions, its an absolute snooze fest of a golf course. Only redeeming quality are a few of the green complexes. Otherwise some slight routing changes completely bastardized any of the remaining Ross qualities that were there. Not to mentioned removing a public access course from an area already starved for quality public golf at a decent rate just bc some millionaire couldnt play whenever he wanted at the the other private golf club a mile up the road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamthebeard said:

While Pelican might have great course conditions, its an absolute snooze fest of a golf course. Only redeeming quality are a few of the green complexes. Otherwise some slight routing changes completely bastardized any of the remaining Ross qualities that were there. Not to mentioned removing a public access course from an area already starved for quality public golf at a decent rate just bc some millionaire couldnt play whenever he wanted at the the other private golf club a mile up the road. 

There was very little of Ross left in the Biltmore at the time it closed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iamthebeard said:

Course was always in good shape when I played it.  Not sure how much Ross was left.

It’s amazing what the Doyle’s got away with if the newspaper article is true. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:37 AM, buckrogers71 said:

Sand Barrens in Swainton, NJ (Southern Jersey Shore). Union League of Philadelphia bought it. Moved tons of earth to remodel it. Fun tract before, heard its REALLY good now. And as mentioned, Atlantic City CC. Was private, then public, now back to private

Plus one for both Sand Barrens and Atlantic City CC. The area was a great low cost and convenient golf destination but losing those 2 to the privates limited the choices of where to play and put a strain on the other public courses.

• Like 2

WingHaven Country Club LogoIn St. Louis area, I would have to say WingHaven.

It started out as a semi-private in a residential community, and eventually had enough equity members to go private. Jack Nicklaus Design built the course, which opened in 1999. (I play out of Stonewolf in Fairview Heights, IL, a second Nicklaus course in our area.)

The course is built on the edge of marshland, and has a mix of fairly flat, water-lined holes and rolling hilly holes in its layout.

image.png.16e9448e9257dfe5ee31342e7894dbfb.pngTwo final judgment holes are Nos. 16 and 17. Both are tight with water and tilted fairways, and can turn a happy round into a sad one with a couple of bad shots.

If you're having a day of wayward shots, it may be best to play the two for bogie.

Fortunately, the WingHaven crew is very supportive of the area golf scene, and hosts several amateur events each year. For example, WingHaven often hosts the season opener in May for the Imperial Amateur Series (everyday golfers) of the Metro Amateur Golf Association.  And, I know a couple of WingHaven members who would invite me to play if I wanted.

Edited by ChipNRun
Recast text alignment.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 12/20/2023 at 5:57 AM, sabram said:

Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee Georgia ( near Reynolds) is an excellent course designed by Coore & Crenshaw. Was a top 100 public before going private 

Click on the photo below for pix of all 18 holes of this great course

Cuscowilla

Have family that's been playing there since it opened in '97. I don't live out there anymore or I'd join as well. Course is amazing, and the club has always been well run from my experience. 

• Like 1