2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Favorite Lost to the Public (Turned Private) Course

As a former stuffy country club caddie turned 10-12 rounds a year golfer, when I do get a chance to hit the links I generally try to book a round somewhere that I can look forward to seeing.  I've seen a lot of "this or that" and "best of" topics lately, but can't recall this topic on the forum. 

There are a couple within driving distance of me that were once open to the masses and have since closed their doors to the weekend trunk slammer, most notably Strawberry Creek, that I didn't jump at playing when I had the chance.  On the flipside, public golfers in Chicagoland were gifted Ravisloe a number of years back, a formerly private club south of the city.

For me, the public turned private that tops the list is also my favorite course that I've played.  My group took a trip to the Pinehurst area about 5 years ago and had a chance to play Dormie Club and I instantly fell in love.  At the time the "clubhouse" was nothing but a couple of trailers, and what awaited beyond was a course that has not been topped on my resume.   

• Like 4

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

10 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Verde River in Arizona

I am not extremely well-traveled in golf, but I have actually played this course as well (I think?)  This is what used to be called Tegavah?  On our babymoon trip years ago I had time to fit in 2 rounds in Arizona and I made it to Quintero and Tegavah.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

I'll 2nd the Dormie Club in Pinehurst... I've played it 3 times now, the very first coming when it was public and tucked back off the road with nothing but a small shack as the clubhouse. The track is special and the experience then was really really cool. It was pretty easy to get on whenever you wanted and the rate was affordable...

Since then, I've had the opportunity to experience Dormie since it's gone full private... and while I miss the accessibility of the club while it was Public, the new experience is top of the line. The facilities are Class A+++ and the course is in as good of shape as any place around... and since it's in the Pinehurst area that's saying A LOT. You have to stay at the new cottages in order to play, so it's not for the everyman golfer... but if you ever get to experience, I'd highly recommend. I'm fortunate enough to have two different clients that have taken me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gdane said:

I am not extremely well-traveled in golf, but I have actually played this course as well (I think?)  This is what used to be called Tegavah?  On our babymoon trip years ago I had time to fit in 2 rounds in Arizona and I made it to Quintero and Tegavah.

Yup.  It was Vista Verde, then Tegavah, and now Verde River Golf and Social Club,

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

Only course I can think of in the SF area (broadly) is what was formerly known as "Sonoma National Golf Club" - open to the public despite the Augusta-like name. 

Now Sonoma Golf Club, I believe it is a private club, with access (at one time...not sure now) for guests of the Sonoma Mission Inn.  Enjoyable course in a beautiful area.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Another Dormie Club vote here. What an awesome place it was, it’s still a top 10 favorite course for me but stings with how much the stay and play is now knowing it could be had for sub $100 back in the day 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Village at Kapalua was public, later private, then closed, went to seed.  It was an outstanding-manicured target course with elevation changes and amazing views.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

LuLu CC near Philly was a private Donald Ross course forever, then went semi-private after the great recession due to major financial/membership problems, then private again. Really fun course and fortunately I played it several times while the public had access, I'll probably never get the chance to play it again.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 3

I will also put in a vote for Dormie Club.  Our group used to play that on every trip we took to Pinehurst.  I just pulled up an old quote to Pinehurst from April 2013 that I remember being great golf.  We played Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines for $638/person for a Friday-Monday itinerary.  I miss those days!

2nd choice off top of my head is Cape Fear National.

I saw a vote for Lochenheath up above.  I played that on a trip to Traverse City a number of years ago and I think we just booked online.  I have shot over 100 only a couple of times in the last 20 years and that was one of them.  I struggled hard on those greens.  It was a sneaky hard course.  Too bad it went private

• Like 2

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

Dormie Club, while obviously a loss to the public - I think going private has allowed it to really reach its full potential after ten years of hanging by a thread. 

The conditions there now are so good, they’ve done some great stuff like redoing the bunkers, adding walking  paths, etc.

And then paired with a full service clubhouse and lodging…it’s just an amazing experience. 

im actually somewhat surprised it hasn’t climbed higher in the course rankings over the past couple of years? Maybe not enough raters get to play it? 

On 12/19/2023 at 10:25 AM, Pepperturbo said:

Village at Kapalua was public, later private, then closed, went to seed.  It was an outstanding-manicured target course with elevation changes and amazing views.

Village was my favorite course at Kapalua. Disappointing that it closed down. It seemed that it was a lot less windy than Plantation. And a nice variety of holes.

Edited by tad950
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, iamthebeard said:

Belview Biltmore turned Pelican golf club

I've played both iterations. Even though they use the same corridors, they are two very different courses.  The Biltmore was in rough shape. I suppose the municipality could have put some money into it to bring it back to it's no glory, but that wasn't going to happen. The course was originally private before it was public. Now private again, but as a significantly  different course.

Click on a photo below to see photo tour of each version of the course.

Belleview Biltmore Golf Course

Belleview Biltmore

The Pelican Club

Pelican Club

Edited by sabram
to add photo links

15 hours ago, Robber6656 said:

If you do some googling you will find an article from a Tampa paper about some shenanigans when it came to buying the course.

Belleview was the best public course in the area by far. 

Echo this. Considering a mile down the road there is the Belleair CC, private, 36 holes of Donald Ross. The Belleview Biltmore WAS as Donald Ross until the current owner changed the layout including moving some of the small lakes. In the area there is only the Clearwater CC and Duneadan CC both muni's run by the same property management company. :classic_sad:

Sand Barrens in Swainton, NJ (Southern Jersey Shore). Union League of Philadelphia bought it. Moved tons of earth to remodel it. Fun tract before, heard its REALLY good now. And as mentioned, Atlantic City CC. Was private, then public, now back to private

Edited by buckrogers71

13 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Dormie Club, while obviously a loss to the public - I think going private has allowed it to really reach its full potential after ten years of hanging by a thread. 

The conditions there now are so good, they’ve done some great stuff like redoing the bunkers, adding walking  paths, etc.

And then paired with a full service clubhouse and lodging…it’s just an amazing experience. 

im actually somewhat surprised it hasn’t climbed higher in the course rankings over the past couple of years? Maybe not enough raters get to play it? 

If clubhouses, lodging and a walking path can make a course go up in the rankings.....I think the rankings are doing something wrong.  Redoing bunkers could help, but the impact would be minimal.

• Like 1

Chicago based friend is a member at Strawberry Creek.  Got to play it 2 years ago.  Not an amazing place but would have been a super nice public track.

Here in Atlanta I lament the loss of White Columns.  Before I was a member at a private it was the go-to when the same Chicago friend visited once a year.  This was back sort of pre-internet when we could not find White Columns anymore in the Yellow Pages.  Fun Fazio layout and aways in good shape.  We had to change to The Frog (another Fazio).  It went private and then changed hands a few times and is now a premium Club Corp property.  

I dont think it will be very hard to get on, but it is no longer a few clicks away on my phone.