2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

I'm going to defeat steepening. 1/11 added videos

Really working to not be as steep as I have been for years. 2 different feels I'm working on. 

See a few posts below for the drills I'm trying to figure out to use...1, multiple, none...

Swing 1 feeling is to have the arms falling away from the ball from about p2.5 to p4

Swing 2 is the justin rose drill. 

Edited by getitdaily

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sean124 said:

1 looks better to me. 

7DFAFB89-5664-4DD7-9B5F-4E30081E422D.jpeg.da27154f3e103327920c34a83cdb438c.jpeg

D448EC01-CEEC-4C8F-8430-FA886762FB4F.jpeg.6b3acaf410a73528c73c822db920280e.jpeg

Yeah, that's what I saw too. That arms falling away move has really been the only thing that's gotten me even slightly under the trail shoulder with the shaft at p5. 

That rose drill looks good but I haven't been able to stop pulling my hands toward the ball in transition. 

Idk if the camera angle is just bad and I'm not really as steep as the 2d shows, but I can't get anything else to reduce the steepness. 

What's odd is the rose drill is super easy to be patient in transition but is steeper. The falling away feeling gets transition a bit wonky if I'm not careful...Basically no transition, just everything moving at all times.

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

The green bag? It's a sand bag. I have a weather proof tarp that covers my hitting area. Sand bags hold it down.

Ah that makes sense, I have a very different design sand bag that holds my net on the side of my screen.

That bag looks like a larger version of the pooper-scooper bags for my phsics-defying dogs (output = 2x input)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Ah that makes sense, I have a very different design sand bag that holds my net on the side of my screen.

That bag looks like a larger version of the pooper-scooper bags for my phsics-defying dogs (output = 2x input)

Lol. I refuse to have a big dog that poops more than me. Hate cleaning that crap up (pun intended).

It appears you have too much weight forward on the balls of your feet, affecting your swing.  If true, your balance during your swing is off.  However, I am not an instructor. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 for sure looks better. I film my swing a silly amount in my backyard and camera angle makes a fair difference. Based off the feet you appear to be aimed left of where the camera is pointed. The further you aim left the more steep the swing will look. Having the camera too behind your body location wise will also make it look steep. In that sense the camera looks pretty good and fairly in line with hands. 

Here are the drill/swing full videos and an added one. I'm attacking how steep I am but have a few ways I can get it right. 

This swing is swing 1 above. 

Then this is swing 2 - justin rose drill

Then this is a drill I picked up from. Jake Hutt short on YouTube

The Jake Hutt move is the easiest to get transition right and be less steep. So I may go that route. Or may combine 2 of the drills. I did the arms fall away drill for many weeks earlier in the year to much success but it's way too easy to get wonky with the transition. 

7 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Here are the drill/swing full videos and an added one. I'm attacking how steep I am but have a few ways I can get it right. 

This swing is swing 1 above. 

Then this is swing 2 - justin rose drill

Then this is a drill I picked up from. Jake Hutt short on YouTube

The Jake Hutt move is the easiest to get transition right and be less steep. So I may go that route. Or may combine 2 of the drills. I did the arms fall away drill for many weeks earlier in the year to much success but it's way too easy to get wonky with the transition. 

To my untrained eyes there isn’t much difference in the swings. With the rise drill part of it is supposed to be about keeping the back to the target longer and you aren’t doing that in the swing with that drill..

are you doing any slower motion swings with the drill? Or is it just the feel in rehearsal and then swing away?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Golfonthemind said:

1 for sure looks better. I film my swing a silly amount in my backyard and camera angle makes a fair difference. Based off the feet you appear to be aimed left of where the camera is pointed. The further you aim left the more steep the swing will look. Having the camera too behind your body location wise will also make it look steep. In that sense the camera looks pretty good and fairly in line with hands. 

yeah this

body is definitely open which will make you steep. 

I would get you squared up…or even drop right foot back a hair. Then get clubhead to go kinda come back straight or a hair inside and cover your hands at p2. 

something like this. Mac hitting a fade 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxNimZ3rrSH/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

30 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

To my untrained eyes there isn’t much difference in the swings. With the rise drill part of it is supposed to be about keeping the back to the target longer and you aren’t doing that in the swing with that drill..

are you doing any slower motion swings with the drill? Or is it just the feel in rehearsal and then swing away?

I've been doing the rose drill at night for a couple weeks with slow swings. The "fall away" drill (swing 1) is one I've been doing since april-ish. I do that one where I pause at the top. 

I have tried keeping my back to the target longer in transition and my path creeps right. 

I believe that my path to shoulders closed longer is having the ability to lower the upper body in transition (look at dj down the line). If I can lower the upper while the hands and arms shallow the club then I'm set. But I can't lower the upper in transition with my hands firing toward the ball as much as they do. This change has been freaking hard. Spurts of awesome and spurts of bleh. This is where I need to get to.

6 minutes ago, CSagan said:

yeah this

body is definitely open which will make you steep. 

I would get you squared up…or even drop right foot back a hair. Then get clubhead to go kinda come back straight or a hair inside and cover your hands at p2. 

something like this. Mac hitting a fade 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxNimZ3rrSH/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I'm trying like heck to get square at address. Path just creeps right on me. I'm missing something. I even did closed stance work when I recorded those...shoulders still want to open early and my path creeps right. 

8 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I'm trying like heck to get square at address. Path just creeps right on me. I'm missing something. I even did closed stance work when I recorded those...shoulders still want to open early and my path creeps right. 

what’s wrong with a right path? Or are you talking about your hands going out in transition as creeping right? 

4 minutes ago, CSagan said:

what’s wrong with a right path? Or are you talking about your hands going out in transition as creeping right? 

Path gets in to out. I'm a fader. I really don't even want my path getting to 0 but am OK there if it happens occasionally. 

When my path gets right, my hands raise and I hit draws...no bueno when I'm lined up for a 5-10 yard fade.

Just now, getitdaily said:

Path gets in to out. I'm a fader. I really don't even want my path getting to 0 but am OK there if it happens occasionally. 

When my path gets right, my hands raise and I hit draws...no bueno when I'm lined up for a 5-10 yard fade.

I feel ya. If you’re steep hitting down 6-9 degrees you’re gonna have to really swing left to get it to fade. I know horshel flattened all his shorter irons so he could fade em. Maybe look at some of his positions and see if you can mirror them. 

You’re setting up well left for a cut…..great.

You’ll find if you setup the camera down your foot line instead of the target line, the aesthetics will be much better.  

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

A left path with irons is usually going to look some amount steep. So if a left path is what you’re going for, trying to make it look less steep is probably always going to make the path more rightward. And as I’ve mentioned to you before, your shaft pitch isn’t steep, which is what matters more for what you’re trying to do. If you were steep in that sense you wouldn’t be able to get open as much as you do. Not that being that open is necessarily good or bad, but being less open would make the path move more rightward for you. 

here’s a decent angle comparison. Main difference I see is right arm. Your right arm and right scap retract and and allows your left arm to attach to your chest then you unwind shoulders and it kicks path out and gets a hair steep. You’re in good enough shape to get the right scap back while pushing that right thumb pad against the left at the top. 

obv all this is nit picky and not really needed…but more width at top and on way down will fix (or help fix) what you’re trying to fix, imo. 

15 minutes ago, CSagan said:

I feel ya. If you’re steep hitting down 6-9 degrees you’re gonna have to really swing left to get it to fade. I know horshel flattened all his shorter irons so he could fade em. Maybe look at some of his positions and see if you can mirror them. 

Yeah horshel, dj, morikawa, im, rahm...watch all of them. I watch the taylormade video of dj a good bit because it has dtl and face on, together. Dj also takes it a bit outside like me. It was him and trevino that got me to the belong of the hands falling away from the ball around p2-p3

12 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You’re setting up well left for a cut…..great.

You’ll find if you setup the camera down your foot line instead of the target line, the aesthetics will be much better.  

I tried that Sunday but I think the angle was a bit off...I'll keep working to get it right. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

A left path with irons is usually going to look some amount steep. So if a left path is what you’re going for, trying to make it look less steep is probably always going to make the path more rightward. And as I’ve mentioned to you before, your shaft pitch isn’t steep, which is what matters more for what you’re trying to do. If you were steep in that sense you wouldn’t be able to get open as much as you do. Not that being that open is necessarily good or bad, but being less open would make the path move more rightward for you. 

This transition move (minus the lead wrist bow) is what I'm after. Shaft coming under the trail shoulder rather than over it or on top of it. 

I had spurts of it earlier this year doing the "fall away from the ball" feeling with the arms (swing 1 above). 

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

This transition move (minus the lead wrist bow) is what I'm after. Shaft coming under the trail shoulder rather than over it or on top of it. 

I had spurts of it earlier this year doing the "fall away from the ball" feeling with the arms (swing 1 above). 

DJ’s hands drop straight down like 16 inches in transition, never really just looked at it that much. Such a unicorn. 

5 minutes ago, CSagan said:

DJ’s hands drop straight down like 16 inches in transition, never really just looked at it that much. Such a unicorn. 

That transition move down with the chest has a lot to do with it.

When I focus on my chest going down in transition I cover the ball so well. But I can get so steep doing it. Like the amg guys noted, the upper body moving down is a steepening move.

43 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Arms falling away from the ball is definitely what you need to achieve this but you’re missing some key pieces.

First of all, shaft bisecting the trail humerus at p5 with something close to the DJ structure is a move not everyone can accomplish. You’ll need more early right side bend so that you can achieve the DJ structure, where the lead arm is pinned but the trail arm is not stuck behind. This type of structure will make your clubface more open so you will actually need a closer to DJ’s wrist conditions to make it work. 

Essentially, to achieve this look, you are talking full GG mode. 😂 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1s0fgqrrCN/?igsh=MXRhNm9rcDAzdXJrZw==

One thing I will say, and you’ve probably noticed this in your trial and error is that the staying closed + arm lowering drills like the Justin Rose drill will make it impossible to create this look. With those drills there will be less right side bend and more of an internal trail arm. It’s not going to match the look you’re trying to achieve at all. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Arms falling away from the ball is definitely what you need to achieve this but you’re missing some key pieces.

First of all, shaft bisecting the trail humerus at p5 with something close to the DJ structure is a move not everyone can accomplish. You’ll need more early right side bend so that you can achieve the DJ structure, where the lead arm is pinned but the trail arm is not stuck behind. This type of structure will make your clubface more open so you will actually need a closer to DJ’s wrist conditions to make it work. 

Essentially, to achieve this look, you are talking full GG mode. 😂 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1s0fgqrrCN/?igsh=MXRhNm9rcDAzdXJrZw==

One thing I will say, and you’ve probably noticed this in your trial and error is that the staying closed + arm lowering drills like the Justin Rose drill will make it impossible to create this look. With those drills there will be less right side bend and more of an internal trail arm. It’s not going to match the look you’re trying to achieve at all. 

This is what I want to be able to do with the upper body in transition and in the downswing...this is an exaggeration. 

Edited by getitdaily

4 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

This is what I want to be able to do with the upper body in transition and in the downswing...

That’s either good to be a push draw or you have to aim more left to hit a fade.

In other words, your brain won’t allow you to produce that or you’ll miss it right.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• getitdaily changed the title to I'm going to defeat steepening. 1/11 added videos