2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dana Dahlquist Lesson vid

Sounds like Dana's not a fan of active arms, like Athletic motion golf amg talk about a lot. He even calls it unathletic. Dana also says at the end the more seperation you have the better, which I know the AMG guys don't like people trying usually. I think I've heard Monte not liking the idea of trying to get x-factor neither.

Dana also really emphasizes adding side bend in the downswing here, which coincidentally is supposed to be AMG's next youtube video topic. My guess is that they've got some disagreements there as well.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C18SzAnN70u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

There are teachers that believe the lead side stretch shortening cycle takes care of the arms dropping and other aspects of sequencing…I’m in that camp. 

Can you actively drop your arms and turn at the same time…absolutely. It’s not for me but obviously works for some people. 

I can’t do both but it seems like Padraig can or at least advocating for doing both and I personally would like to hear a explanation of that because as soon as I pull my arms down I loose my stretch on my lead side and everything goes to hell. 

Proper physics or not…what I personally feel is that my lead side oblique feel like they get stretched by my arms being propelled away from me in the backswing and that causes a chain reaction of me trying to stop my arms by lower my upper torso which causes my lead arm to compress against my lead pectoral which helps the arms stop and jump start their decent. 

Does it actually happen this way..I don’t really care.  I have very little vertical arm lift in my swing so I don’t need much lowering to get where I need to be. 

I was a pitcher thru high school and I never threw over 75 but how my pitching arm reacted is how I view correctly or incorrectly my arms in the golf swing. My pitching arm got loaded and propelled by the rest of the body and at the very last few inches before my release I could add some active snap of my arm if I need a bit more speed. Was my body actively trying to get my arm to come forward after my transition to throw in the pitch…absolutely and it better otherwise my rotator cuff and elbow wouldn’t last one pitch but it wasn’t a conscious thought. 

So are the sum of forces positive on my arms in transition sure but i’m not adding any additional conscious thought to adding more force if that makes any sense. 

1 hour ago, virtuoso said:

Bmanz, what’s your appraisal of the lesson itself?

Call him if you want the no pc version.

Otherwise, he has no choice but to pc it with, “Dana is a top teacher who certainly knows how to get the student to move in order to get the results he is looking for. I wasn’t there so I can’t for sure know what the student was struggling with off camera or what cues work for him..etc”

In my opinion we have way too many top teachers that disagree with the “Science” for whatever reason. I personally would like to know why? 

• Like 1

Pretty good move for a beginner.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Maybe it's my bias but my mind keys in on all the similarities between this and something like AMG or what Monte teaches.

Yes he said focusing on wrists is unathletic but then his very next sentence was that some guys need that. Monte always says if you don't already do it that's when you need to train it.

He says xfactor is hip and rib separation. I could be wrong but I believe Monte said that his own homework from his lesson with AMG last spring was to work on that separation.

He talks about swinging to the right for this student (feel). But what I see is he's getting him to move his arms vertically on his right side instead of wiping his arms across his chest, reference the scandalous Pro V Ams shallowing video and winter practice video from AMG last year.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KD1 said:

Maybe it's my bias but my mind keys in on all the similarities between this and something like AMG or what Monte teaches.

Yes he said focusing on wrists is unathletic but then his very next sentence was that some guys need that. Monte always says if you don't already do it that's when you need to train it.

He says xfactor is hip and rib separation. I could be wrong but I believe Monte said that his own homework from his lesson with AMG last spring was to work on that separation.

He talks about swinging to the right for this student (feel). But what I see is he's getting him to move his arms vertically on his right side instead of wiping his arms across his chest, reference the scandalous Pro V Ams shallowing video and winter practice video from AMG last year.

Yeah, there is actually a lot of overlap in the vin diagrams.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

5 hours ago, airjammer said:

...we have way too many top teachers that disagree with the “Science” for whatever reason. I personally would like to know why? 

Two camps.

Michael Jacobs/Steven Nesbit/Jacobs 3D/Brian Manzella, all the people who learn from us vs. the other guys.

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

19 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

Two camps.

Michael Jacobs/Steven Nesbit/Jacobs 3D/Brian Manzella, all the people who learn from us vs. the other guys.

🤣

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, Brian Manzella said:

Two camps.

Can you give more inside explanation than that?

Like what explanation a coach has for not believing the data? Do they believe the data is incomplete or inaccurate or maybe flat earthers? Maybe they built their niche and don’t want change their identity?

I’m genuinely curious. 

12 minutes ago, airjammer said:

Like what explanation a coach has for not believing the data? Do they believe the data is incomplete or inaccurate or maybe flat earthers? Maybe they built their niche and don’t want change their identity?

I’m genuinely curious. 

image.png.9306a4bb63ded8c93cce340f62780382.png

If you are flattening everything to a plane, those arrows don't point out of the page from face on, even though....in reality, they do.

The club DOES NOT work the way they describe.

But, what if "believing in Santee Claus" makes the kids happy?

• Like 2

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

1 hour ago, airjammer said:

I’m genuinely curious. 

Could it be possible a lot of the tour data are guys who learned a previous generation of swing theory? That’s why the data might show something different than what a lot of current coaches are teaching?

Like even a 25 year old tour player probably started learning ideas from 2005-2010, got good with those ideas, and since then coaches probably tried not to mess with their swings too much.

1 hour ago, sandyraps said:

You're outnumbered, and then some. 

We have ALL the cards.

We are doing a lot better than you think. Tidal wave coming/

Apparently, you need to watch my podcast appearance on Golf360 about the magazine lists "sandy."

We have a bigger wave with teachers than you think. A lot bigger.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brian Manzella said:

I watched the whole thing.

To be fair, there are lots of lessons I wouldn't have watched because I wouldn't like hardly any of it.

I get along with Dana, and I have recently seen him teach at a PGA event where we both gave several live lessons in Arizona.

This is his prescription vs. (what I would have done):

Sportsbox AI vs. (TrackMan and video – I always check my work and the student's swing with club delivery numbers)

Higher Hands at Address - (I like it, may have not done it in the first lesson)

Less rightward early. It was a little unclear that Dana was talking upper or lower body early in the lesson, but he sort of allowed/encouraged it later in the lesson, within limits. - (I like like early lower shift)

Re-centering with upper body extension. - (The golfer needed some earlier move left and maybe I would have done it a hair different, but mostly agree here)

Right elbow under and in front of his chest mid backswing and nearing the top. - (not my cup of tea at all, but I might do it 5% of the time)

Allowing for left wrist extension at the top - (100%)

Blending more side bend with rotation - (IF you add one, you HAVE TO add the other somewhat, but (I like less side bend than Dana, apparently)

Swivel/Exit more arm throw out to the right - (I would have change the movement later in the swing to get the hands not to dive left, but I get where he was going. That is something I do maybe 33% of this type of fix)

Finish - (I always work on it, didn't see much about it)

Obvious why Dana's career is on the uptick. He keeps getting better at his craft.

I teach different that most folks, doesn't make it a better way. I just teach more ands explain less and the student hits more balls but that's Vanilla vs. Chocolate ice cream.

I think you’d agree.  Most instructors that take the time and effort to constantly search for “truths” don’t have a huge discrepancy in what the end game is.  Just different priorities and different degrees of change. 

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, Brian Manzella said:

What part of it?

Thinking left side stretch can lower the arms? 🙂

Sounds like you and Dana are the same page about manually laying down the shaft with the hands being terrible.  

What are your thoughts on the statement that lowering the arms down *as he demonstrates in the video* leaves 20% of potential speed on the table? 

1 minute ago, MPStrat said:

Sounds like you and Dana are the same page about manually laying down the shaft with the hands being terrible.  

What are your thoughts on the statement that lowering the arms down *as he demonstrates in the video* leaves 20% of potential speed on the table? 

You know where it is on the video?