2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Dana Dahlquist Lesson vid

Long Hitters almost notoriously make less 2D plane angle changes from the top than players of similar level who don't hit it as far.

As far as the % goes, I could ask Jacobs, he probably has a good idea on that.

So basically, I agree with Dana on this. For sure. 

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

2 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

Long Hitters almost notoriously make less 2D plane angle changes from the top than players of similar level who don't hit it as far.

As far as the % goes, I could ask Jacobs, he probably has a good idea on that.

So basically, I agree with Dana on this. For sure. 

Thanks for your input. 

1 minute ago, Brian Manzella said:

Some examples of long hitters:

From left: Daly, Nicklaus, Berkshire, Sadlowski

image.png.083102d07a499551b70a835dc5ac3bad.png

Yes, we could probably line up long drive competitiors all day long with the same relationship.

But for clarity let’s dig a little deeper here in what Dana was trying to convey in the video.

This is more of a pure lowering move than a plane shift. Some will dismiss his statement out of hand stating that he’s demonstrating a move that all tour players make. 

The argument I have tried to make is that the less someone is able to rotate and side bend, the more they need some amount of what Dana is demonstrating. I have tried to communicate on the forum that there are guys on tour who have more and less of this move. The more of this that exists in a swing, the less rotation and side bend will match. There was an 80 page thread about this.

But I’m not sure about the “20% speed left on the table” statement. I’m not concerned with “20%” as being exactly correct or incorrect. I don’t care about that. But is a more than negligible amount of speed being left on the table by using something resembling the lowering move he demonstrates?

The arms lower.

Period.

If they artificially lower before the body hardly rotates, it won't be very powerful.

My pictures demonstrate golfers who OBVIOUSLY DON'T lower first.

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

19 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Yes, we could probably line up long drive competitiors all day long with the same relationship.

But for clarity let’s dig a little deeper here in what Dana was trying to convey in the video.

This is more of a pure lowering move than a plane shift. Some will dismiss his statement out of hand stating that he’s demonstrating a move that all tour players make. 

The argument I have tried to make is that the less someone is able to rotate and side bend, the more they need some amount of what Dana is demonstrating. I have tried to communicate on the forum that there are guys on tour who have more and less of this move. The more of this that exists in a swing, the less rotation and side bend will match. There was an 80 page thread about this.

But I’m not sure about the “20% speed left on the table” statement. I’m not concerned with “20%” as being exactly correct or incorrect. I don’t care about that. But is a more than negligible amount of speed being left on the table by using something resembling the lowering move he demonstrates?

you have to kind of understand what Dana used to teach, stack and tilt, golfing machine/Mac stuff. He’s referencing keeping the body closed, straightening the arms down and jamming the handle forward. He used to teach this move in the video below and doesn’t anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

The arms lower.

Period.

If they artificially lower before the body hardly rotates, it won't be very powerful.

Good, wanted to be perfectly clear. We are on the same page. 

Some here would take strong exception to your use of the term “artificially lower the arms” but I know exactly the point you’re trying to make and agree. I’m sure you’ll

sleep better tonight knowing that. 

7 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

you have to kind of understand what Dana used to teach, stack and tilt, golfing machine/Mac stuff. He’s referencing keeping the body closed, straightening the arms down and jamming the handle forward. He used to teach this move in the video below and doesn’t anymore. 

Ya I’ve seen this one posted here a bunch over the years. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian Manzella said:

Apparently, you need to watch my podcast appearance on Golf360 about the magazine lists "sandy."

We have a bigger wave with teachers than you think. A lot bigger.

Bet your twitter is fun.

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

11 hours ago, MPStrat said:

Ya I’ve seen this one posted here a bunch over the years. 

Yea, this move was taught a bunch back in the day on this forum to guys doing online lessons. 

AMG aren’t teaching that, I’ll bring them up because it’s the 80 page thread you are referencing. They show a blend of elbow straightening while body rotates. Basically, showing what actually happens from gears data they have seen. 

8 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Yea, this move was taught a bunch back in the day on this forum to guys doing online lessons. 

AMG aren’t teaching that, I’ll bring them up because it’s the 80 page thread you are referencing. They show a blend of elbow straightening while body rotates. Basically, showing what actually happens from gears data they have seen. 

Ya that’s what I was referencing. Dana is essentially saying thumbs down to the straightening down with the arms manually for this student. Or as Brian put it, “artificially”

I think that part of it is very clear. 

I’ve never seen someone argue that the arms aren’t measured to lower in the golf swing. People pretty much agree on that part of it and did in that thread. 

24 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Dana is teaching "more extension in the spine at the top".  Is what he is teaching in conflict with TPI recommendation for spine health?  I have seen several TPI videos where they seem to recommend a different TOS position.  Here is one:

I'm a little confused about the extension of the spine at the top. I also saw it in the Drew Cooper video with Dan. Is the extension towards the ball or towards the left side? Is it a feeling of stretching the spine?

A little confused is good for me. I'm usually very confused...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Dana is teaching "more extension in the spine at the top".  Is what he is teaching in conflict with TPI recommendation for spine health?  I have seen several TPI videos where they seem to recommend a different TOS position.  Here is one:

My preference is for less thoracic extension than probably most modern teachers, including Dana. But Dana wasn’t advocating for a reverse spine angle. He wanted a small increase. 

1 minute ago, MPStrat said:

My preference is for less thoracic extension than probably most modern teachers, including Dana. But Dana wasn’t advocating for a reverse spine angle. He wanted a small increase. 

Yeah that is kind of what I thought, it is something to be aware of if someone tries to apply the teaching in Dana' video without supervision.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Ya that’s what I was referencing. Dana is essentially saying thumbs down to the straightening down with the arms manually for this student. Or as Brian put it, “artificially”

I think that part of it is very clear. 

I’ve never seen someone argue that the arms aren’t measured to lower in the golf swing. People pretty much agree on that part of it and did in that thread. 

Keeping the right elbow bent/up requires you to get drastically vertical with the shoulders to lower the hands and a lot of right side bend while you rotate to shift the plane more right. 

I would think the middle ground would be best but different feels to accomplish that I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Keeping the right elbow bent/up requires you to get drastically vertical with the shoulders to lower the hands and a lot of right side bend while you rotate to shift the plane more right. 

I would think the middle ground would be best but different feels to accomplish that I suppose. 

Ya, and I think some might assume that I am all for leave the arms up and side bend and rotate like Joaquin Niemann and that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

I just think it’s important to acknowledge that there is a spectrum and positives and negatives to all of this stuff. There are patterns among pros. 

31 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Ya, and I think some might assume that I am all for leave the arms up and side bend and rotate like Joaquin Niemann and that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

I just think it’s important to acknowledge that there is a spectrum and positives and negatives to all of this stuff. There are patterns among pros. 

I agree, and just like getting super vertical with my shoulders

and side bent while trying to leave arms and right elbow bent up would probably decrease my speed a bunch so I mean it goes both ways on the extremes. 

6 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

I agree, and just like getting super vertical with my shoulders

and side bent while trying to leave arms and right elbow bent up would probably decrease my speed a bunch so I mean it goes both ways on the extremes. 

Ya there is a reason that there are no long driver competitors who look like that to my knowledge. Many of those guys EE and some have the square hips at impact look. That’s why I asked Manzella about the 20% comment. Maybe those guys are leaving speed on the table, but maybe not. I don’t know if the answer is so cut and dried. As you said, I think some of them would swing slower with more side bend and rotation. They would probably hit it a lot straighter though lol

• Like 1

Pretty straightforward lesson.

Rotation and side bend are generally close in good players, and when you take out a little bend with the extension, you often have to add a little back in, especially as he was trying to "shove" the hands forward a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 28. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

This is the same as every other discussion on the swing.  Both extremes are awful.  There has to be some extension, but you don’t want to tilt toward the target.  You want neutral +- a few degrees.  As in most things, it’s been measured.  The use of the words maintain flexion are dangerous.  Ask Jason Day.  Maintain flexion in the trail knee is thrown around.  You don’t want to lock out the trial knee, but it needs to lose flex in order to allow the pelvis to move and shift correctly.

If you don’t extend the spine and maintain the 40* of forward bend you have at address, that will hurt your back too and you’ll be a 25 handicap.

Excess side bending so you can get wide open is another.  You need “SOME”

This is not some.

IMG_0960.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@MonteScheinblum How is this? 

He was hitting behind me one day while I was practicing. I literally couldn't believe what I saw. Lots of them going low and left....

image.png

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Just now, Jtgavigan said:

@MonteScheinblum How is this? 

He was hitting behind me one day while I was practicing. I literally couldn't believe what I saw. Lots of them going low and left....

image.png

I need advil just looking at that.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 2 weeks later...