2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Need some advice on how to approach a package from USPS that was delivered to the wrong parcel locker.

Good morning guys I'm in need of some advice on how to approach a package that was delivered to the wrong parcel locker by USPS. The delivery date showed that it was delivered and left in  a parcel locker on Friday, January 12th. When I went to go grab my mail. I had mail, but no key for the parcel locker. My initial thought was the key must have been put in the wrong box. So I'm hopeful that person has it and will return it to me soon. I have reached out to both USPS customer service and in person. On Monday January 15th the USPS carrier guy checked the parcel lockers and the package was not in any of the lockers. So someone for sure grabbed it. I then contacted USPS and they asked if the sender has for the original receipt still. I've contacted the seller but he is currently out of town. USPS said without the original receipt can't file a claim. So at this point I'm still waiting for my package to be returned to me, but its not looking promising. At this point say the seller doesn't have the receipt anymore. Since I used paypal goods and services. Can I file a claim through Paypal? Or am I s*** Out of Luck?

I would think you’d treat it as just never receiving the product. Whether that’s a refund from the seller directly or through the PayPal dispute process is the next step. It would be on the seller to attempt to recover the loss through USPS. The fact that they may not have the receipt shouldn’t be your issue. Hopefully it turns up soon though.

I’ve had instances with USPS where packages are marked delivered to my front door only to show up in the next few days. Good luck. 

Edited by TPuTT24
  • Like 1

From my experience dealing with any of the delivery services once the tracking shows the package as delivered you are out of luck receiving any sort of refund from Pal Pal or the seller. I would still try to find the package, complain to USPS and be nice to the seller in hope they might help you. I think USPS is blowing smoke up your arse telling you the seller can file a claim if they have the receipt as a means to get you a refund. Yes the seller can file a claim and the end result will be their claim will be denied because it says the package was delivered. 

In my area USPS is terrible at delivering packages. Packages are always being delivered to wrong addresses, keys to the parcel lockers in the wrong mail boxes. Luckily I live in a court and all my neighbors play mail delivery. 

I will say every time I have had a missing package the package has found its way to me eventually. 

My two worst deliveries.

A  Cobra driver I bought and was shipped UPS . UPS tracking said it was delivered. I was outside washing, waxing my truck when the driver was said to be delivered. I never saw a UPS truck. I filed a claim with PP and was denied because they claimed it was delivered. The seller said there was nothing they could do because it said it was delivered. Over a week later I walked out my door to go to work a 5 am and there it was sitting on my porch. It wasn't there at 11 pm the night before. I didn't know UPS had night delivery. I had no idea how the package got there.

I bought a $250 fishing reel. It was shipped USPS w/signature. Tracking showed delivery and I never received it and I certainly didn't sign for it. USPS was giving me the run around on supplying me with a signature. I was contacting USPS daily and getting nowhere. The seller was involved and wasn't much help. I felt I would get a refund in this case because of the signature. Five days later a guy knocks on my door and delivers my package. Apparently USPS dropped it off on his porch two blocks from my house and he claimed he son brought it in the house and it sat there for 5 days before he noticed it. When I contacted USPS and told them the story the employee said that happens sometimes.

I would stay on it with USPS. I have always received my lost packages,. There have been quite a few for me.

• Like 1

Absolutely exhaust all your options. See if USPS can track down the specific carrier and find out what they remember. These companies love to play the waiting game and ask for your patience and assume all will turn out right in the end, but in a situation like this you've got no other recourse. The sooner they contact the actual carrier the more likely that person is to remember anything that might not line up with proper delivery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TPuTT24 said:

I would think you’d treat it as just never receiving the product. Whether that’s a refund from the seller directly or through the PayPal dispute process is the next step. It would be on the seller to attempt to recover the loss through USPS. The fact that they may not have the receipt shouldn’t be your issue. Hopefully it turns up soon though.

I’ve had instances with USPS where packages are marked delivered to my front door only to show up in the next few days. Good luck. 

I was told in order to file an insurance claim for what ever the value the insurance was set at, which in this case it’s $100. The original receipt is needed. At least that’s what I was told by 2 different usps locations. So I assumed at that point it was the same all round no matter where I went or who I talked to.  I was hoping to go the insurance route. And not have to force the seller to refund me and he’s out of his items. But I’ll start a PayPal claim. 

I would think in this case it would be the seller who is eligible for the insurance, not you. They would refund you the money and then recoup the loss of the item through the insurance. The wild card there is USPS is claiming it was delivered but I still don’t think that would ever be on you to eat the loss. As far as you’re concerned, you paid for an item and did not receive it. Id think the protections provided by PayPal would cover you there. This is tough because it’s two individuals who did everything right and not some big box store. crappy situation. 

I’d bet that it shows up though in the next couple of days though. You could also try looking up the contact for the post master in your area and give them a call or send an email. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:. And not have to force the seller to refund me and he’s out of his items. But I’ll start a PayPal claim. 

I definitely wouldn’t go in with the mindset you’re “forcing” them. The seller here did nothing wrong and held up his end of the transaction, so trying to force a refund is a quick way to not get one. 

Ive never had to file a claim for a lost item, but I have for a damaged item and I don’t remember having to have the original receipt, but it was a few years ago. It showing delivered might be the issue in dealing with PayPal. 

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

6 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

I was told in order to file an insurance claim for what ever the value the insurance was set at, which in this case it’s $100. The original receipt is needed. At least that’s what I was told by 2 different usps locations. So I assumed at that point it was the same all round no matter where I went or who I talked to.  I was hoping to go the insurance route. And not have to force the seller to refund me and he’s out of his items. But I’ll start a PayPal claim. 

The seller has to file the claim. They shipped it. They have to show proof. (receipt). If the tracking shows delivered then I doubt an insurance claim will be payed.

Pay Pal is on your end. You file that. I doubt they will refund you because the item tracking says delivered.

If the package was never delivered (lost) the seller's claim would be paid and they would refund you. If the seller didn't refund you and you filed a claim with PP they would refund you because the package was lost.

I am not sure about your situation with a parcel locker. If the tracking shows delivered I hope I am wrong but with the issues I have had "delivered" is the kiss of death for a refund.  

Let us know how this turns out for you. 

8 hours ago, Greenie said:

The seller has to file the claim. They shipped it. They have to show proof. (receipt). If the tracking shows delivered then I doubt an insurance claim will be payed.

Pay Pal is on your end. You file that. I doubt they will refund you because the item tracking says delivered.

If the package was never delivered (lost) the seller's claim would be paid and they would refund you. If the seller didn't refund you and you filed a claim with PP they would refund you because the package was lost.

I am not sure about your situation with a parcel locker. If the tracking shows delivered I hope I am wrong but with the issues I have had "delivered" is the kiss of death for a refund.  

Let us know how this turns out for you. 

Yeah the seller is out of town till Friday. He is unsure if he still has the receipt. So I'm waiting to hear from him. In the meantime I wanted to ask to see what options I have before starting anything. But after going through my paypal. I used my Discover card to pay through Paypal goods and services. I wonder If going through Discover is another option. 

USPS is ridiculously inept at times. I'm not familiar with parcel lockers, but wouldn't the office there have cameras they can review to see which locker a freaking golf club was taken out of and whether or not it was put in the correct one? I agree with the others and that opening a Paypal dispute isn't the best option since the seller isn't at fault and it would likely be a tough sell with it showing delivered anyways. At the same time, it's not your fault, so I hope USPS takes some responsibility for it.  The seller does need to do all he can to help you out and see what he can get them to do on his end, though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Insurance is there to protect the seller/shipper. You should not be out the item and your money. If the package is truly lost, seller refunds you and then deals with USPS insurance. If he didn't insure it for the full amount, that's on him. 

2 hours ago, j4663535 said:

Insurance is there to protect the seller/shipper. You should not be out the item and your money. If the package is truly lost, seller refunds you and then deals with USPS insurance. If he didn't insure it for the full amount, that's on him. 

I can only assume the package is lost at this point. It will be 7 days tomorrow and still no one has dropped it off. I'll contact the seller again and try to work something out.

51 minutes ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Great news, I just got off the phone with my neighbor that just got back into town. They said they have my package. The package was never delivered to a parcel locker. It was delivered and left inside my neighbors package lock box by USPS mistake.

I am glad you got your package. Unless someone steals a package off your porch most of these stories end up with a happy ending. I find people to be honest when receiving a wrong package and eventually the package gets to the rightful owner from my experience. 

LOL.This is too funny....As I type this my wife just walked in the house. She tells me there was a key in our mailbox for the lock box. She opened the box and the package is for someone around the corner in our development. They don't even get their mail at our cluster box. I can tell it happens to be golf balls. I might make a new golfing partner when I deliver them.

To answer your question in case there is a next time. Yes another option would be to go through your credit card company. I always pay through a credit card when using PayPal. It gives you another option when trying to get your money back.

• Like 2