2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

San Francisco Courses

ry1808

I’ll be on a work trip in San Francisco the first week of May. I’ll be landing at SFO Saturday evening and don’t need to leave the Bay Area until Monday afternoon. I’m looking to play Harding Park on one of the days.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for other great courses in the area. Ideally more north of San Francisco (I’ll be heading to Sonoma on the Monday afternoon). 

If anyone would be up for joining me on a round that’d be even better.

Thanks,

Richard

In SF, fun to make quick stops at Gleneagles or the newly remodeled Golden Gate Park par 3 course.  Easy to get on Gleneagles, and while GG Park has a reservation system, I am sure a random single could get on.

Up toward Sonoma, pickings are slim.   Sonoma National is a cool course, and not too far away Indian Valley is fun.  But pay attention to El Nino reports for Northern Cal...courses have been soaked.

Northwood is cool but not worth a trip to play unless you are in the area tasting Pliny beer or something.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

7 hours ago, carrera said:

In SF, fun to make quick stops at Gleneagles or the newly remodeled Golden Gate Park par 3 course.  Easy to get on Gleneagles, and while GG Park has a reservation system, I am sure a random single could get on.

Up toward Sonoma, pickings are slim.   Sonoma National is a cool course, and not too far away Indian Valley is fun.  But pay attention to El Nino reports for Northern Cal...courses have been soaked.

Northwood is cool but not worth a trip to play unless you are in the area tasting Pliny beer or something.

Listen to all of this - it is absolutely stone-dead right on.  😉

1 minute ago, jzkhockey said:

The trick for the golden gate park reservation system is that they release the tee times at midnight 1 week before play. Right now if you aren't on at midnight it's going to be hard to get the time you want. IE: the only tee time now available for next Wednesday is a 9am for 1 person. All other are sold out.

Thank you very much for this!  I asked others involved in the course several times when tee times were released and no one would give me a straight answer.  

And good lord that's ridiculous they do it at midnight.

In any case you are right on... better get on that system at 12:00:10 or you're not getting any tee time you want.  For the forseeable future anyway.  Hoping the newness dies out so this Bay Area resident can some day play it.

Boy you are right on re the hype.. it's been huge and constant on social media.

To me from pictures... the course looks cool and does look like a large improvement.  Of course that's not a high bar because it was very basic and boring and in poor condition before.  One thing that intrigues me is the hypsters saying the sand is never in play.  Man it looks pretty present to me....

Please report after playing.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I might recommend skipping Harding Park and just playing Presidio. For non residents, Harding is something like 220 dollars for a weekend tee time, and IMO, not really worth that price tag. Presidio is only about $100 for a weekend tee time and is an awesome course. I may be in the minority, but I like it more than Harding. 

There isn't much going north of Marin. But there's a couple decent (and cheap) courses out in Vallejo. Check out Blue Rock Springs. It probably won't blow your socks off, but it's a decent course and the price is right. I'd recommend the west course. 

Another option is Half Moon Bay. It's about 30 minutes from SFO and both courses out there are really nice. 

10 hours ago, jackbenimble7 said:

I might recommend skipping Harding Park and just playing Presidio. For non residents, Harding is something like 220 dollars for a weekend tee time, and IMO, not really worth that price tag. Presidio is only about $100 for a weekend tee time and is an awesome course. I may be in the minority, but I like it more than Harding. 

There isn't much going north of Marin. But there's a couple decent (and cheap) courses out in Vallejo. Check out Blue Rock Springs. It probably won't blow your socks off, but it's a decent course and the price is right. I'd recommend the west course. 

Another option is Half Moon Bay. It's about 30 minutes from SFO and both courses out there are really nice. 

I second that on Harding Park. When it was redone for the PGA Championship they ruined it. Rough is like spinach and the greens are mud slow. They did a complete 180 on what was fun about the course. It is cart path only at all times which makes finding your ball hard if you are in the rough opposite the cart path. If you insist on playing there walk instead of ride. I recommend going to Half Moon Bay or spend the extra $$$ and go to Pasatiempo.

I agree with everything said about Harding.  It is a tough test but zero fun.  Just be warned about Presidio... the drainage is HORRIBLE.  I played it last Saturday and nearly every tee shot plugged in the fairway.. worse in the rough... it was lost ball mania.  Talk about NOT fun.  I think it is very must best avoided until deep into summer... and even then.. check conditions.

Ha, I've been saying that about Harding for ages.  Nothing remarkable about it.  Back nine is cool the way it wraps around the front nine, but otherwise not a course I'd recommend to anyone with other options.  Was ruined (not improved) by the remodel 20+ years ago.  The City hired "PGA Tour Design Services" to update it.  Not exactly the same as hiring Coore & Crenshaw.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

5 hours ago, carrera said:

Ha, I've been saying that about Harding for ages.  Nothing remarkable about it.  Back nine is cool the way it wraps around the front nine, but otherwise not a course I'd recommend to anyone with other options.  Was ruined (not improved) by the remodel 20+ years ago.  The City hired "PGA Tour Design Services" to update it.  Not exactly the same as hiring Coore & Crenshaw.

Yeah we've been in lockstep about Harding for a long time.  On top of everything it's stupidly expensive for everyone except SF residents.

Seeing how Presidio is these days is pretty nauseating also.  Could be the worst drainage I have ever seen.  I hadn't been there in a few years.. .didn't remember it that way.  

Thanks for all the great feedback. Shame to hear some less than favorable feedback on Harding Park, one of a bucket list courses but if it’s not worth the money I’m not in the mood for pissing it away!

I’ll be there in May so hopefully the weather will be better and some of the drainage issues won’t be so prevalent…

Eagle Vines and Chardonnay are neighboring courses in American Canyon about 30 minutes from Sonoma. I'd play both over Blue Rock. Both are solid, better than average courses in the $80-100 range with fun holes (and grapes).

A little farther out (like another hour) but in that North Bay direction are Paradise Valley and Rancho Solano; I've only played Rancho (and it was great) but have heard good things about Paradise as well. Other than that there's not much. See the recent Indian Valley thread for info on that; I think it's a hidden gem, but seem to be alone in that opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 7:22 AM, Mullenboy said:

Boy you are right on re the hype.. it's been huge and constant on social media.

To me from pictures... the course looks cool and does look like a large improvement.  Of course that's not a high bar because it was very basic and boring and in poor condition before.  One thing that intrigues me is the hypsters saying the sand is never in play.  Man it looks pretty present to me....

Please report after playing.  Thanks.

It was a fun par 3. Challenging greens on a few holes like #2, a few long tees over hazards. It's nothing to write home about, but is a great cheap course to have in the city.

1 hour ago, Mullenboy said:

Thanks.  The architect and others hyping it claimed no sand was in play (despite what pictures showed).  True?

You could go into the sandy area if you chunk it on holes 5 and 9. You have to shoot over the sand to hit the green so if you chunk it you'll be in there. If you clear 20-30 yards though you should be fine.

Other than that on 5 I pushed it about 15-20 yards to the right and was in the sandy/grassy area and had to come back. That was a really bad shot, though I could see many people hitting it when the pin is on the right side of the green. The sand still has grass growing in it.

The green on 2 was interesting since it had a pretty big hill on the front. If they put the pin right at the top of the hill it makes for a good challenge to get it to stop at the right place. At the teebox someone teeing off on 5 walked up to me and said "You're going to need to hit that harder than you think." The teebox for 2 and 5 are the same area. 

If you can't hit the ball strait you are going to run into issues. Longest holes are about 160 yards. If you hook it or push it you probably will be out of bounds on a few holes. I heard them talk alot about the beginner friendliness of the course, but tbh if I was a beginner I would think mariners point with its open space would be a lot easier since I could miss 50 yards to the right and find my ball.

Edited by jzkhockey

Bingo.  Thank you very much for that.  On social media I questioned how fun and playable it would be for beginners (as they were hyping) and you would have thought I insulted their mothers.  It just looked to me like there was a lot of sandy area and OB in play for beginners, who can hit the ball anywhere (short long, right, left).  

The course looks very fun, for sure.  I am looking forward to playing it.  Just don't tell me it's perfect for beginners.  It's not.  🙂

• Haha 1

If Golden Gate Park is too difficult for beginners, then I don't know how easy they could make it.  I have been playing GG Park for 50 years and every variety of player has made it around the course...the routing hasn't changed under the new work.

Go to the Presidio or Harding driving range if GG Park is too difficult?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

11 hours ago, carrera said:

If Golden Gate Park is too difficult for beginners, then I don't know how easy they could make it.  I have been playing GG Park for 50 years and every variety of player has made it around the course...the routing hasn't changed under the new work.

What has seemingly changed is the introduction of a quite a bit of sand.  In any case I just said the sand might give people some trouble.... and the reply was the sand would NEVER be in play.  Again just basing it on pictures, that seems to be wrong.

To answer the other post... I live in San Jose... it's a long way to go for a par three course.  😉  I'm sure I'll get there someday but I have no plans any time soon.

Edited by Mullenboy

20 hours ago, carrera said:

Not saying a beginner can't play it at all, but they may have more fun at mariners point or a different par 3. Mariners point is a shorter and wider par 3 course that is more beginner friendly.

Have you played it since the rework? It's worth a look.

17 minutes ago, jzkhockey said:

Have you played it since the rework? It's worth a look.

No, but for sure will get out there this year.  Fond memories of that course, especially playing with my dad in the fka "Father and Son" tournament there.  As a teenager in SF, we played there almost every summer night...walking up to the first tee at 5:10 after the starter (City employee) left at 5:00.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

The nostalgia for you is understood, carrera.  😉

Just for me... again... when reports are that Mariners Point or others are better for beginners... it rather proves the point I was trying to make on social media.  It sure looks like they greatly improved the course.  That is very cool.  Just don't sell that it's a beginners' paradise.  

Corica in Alameda has a good par 3 for beginners if anyone is looking for that relatively in the area. I used to play Golden Gate a lot after work in the before times (aka pre-pandemic), when I actually went to the office. Was also easy to just show up and get on in the evening in the before times. Will try to get out there at some point and check out the remodel. 

Half moon bay is worth the quick 30 minute drive south. 

Northwood is a great little 9 and you could probably get over to bodega bay afterwards for links style 18.

For Sonoma, maybe try checking golf moose for any country club specials. Silverado is a great private course if you’re able to get on. Eagle Vines and Chardonnay are both nice courses, not overly glamorous. Both are surrounded by vineyards.

If you want to drive a little farther, go give Yocha Dehe a try in Brooks.