2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2024 Blue Bay LPGA (Mar 07 - 10)

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Heck of a performance by Bailey. Putter was hot, but her length off the tee was the real advantage, allowing her to hit wedges and short irons into greens when her playing partners where hitting mid irons. Didn't take long this season to get a first time winner, and she did it with authority. Impressive. 

Decent round by Sarah, but she really put herself behind the eight ball with the three bogies on the front. Good to see her hang in there and snag a solo 2nd. 

Don't know what's gotten into Ayaka, but she's going to pick up her second LPGA win soon. Four top 10s in five starts this year, including three top 3s. 

Expensive bogey for Savannah on the 18th, but a wonderful week for the rookie. 

Don't think Lucy is going to be a top player, but she's had a great start to her sophomore season picking up her 2nd top 10 in three starts. 

Oh, Lydia. Obviously a conservative 4 under round wouldn't have been enough, but one under was certainly not expected. Me thinks the HoF pressure is the culprit. She'll keep plugging away, though. 

Great tournament and excellent course. Plenty of birdie opportunities, but still plenty of trouble. Don't see players chipping on greens often. Attendance looked very good, and the fans were really into it. 

Thanks for the summary - as it was really late I didn't manage to watch much 😞 (11pm start just is too difficult to even push me  to finish vs SG/Thai tournaments that I could sustain once I tuned it on at an earlier time slot -- prolly bec I could be more engaged already with it being on vs keeping doses of coffee on hand just to watch -- mind you, I'm retired and don't really need a full 8 hrs of sleep but still, 11pm start was too difficult for me) 

1 hour ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Really don’t like the way GC handles these Asian tournaments. Whoever is in control of commercial breaks should be let go. We maybe got to see half of Tardy’s shots the last six holes. You don’t cut to commercial when she’s putting her ball down for a birdie putt. 

As mentioned in my reply to @Argonne69, it was already tough for me to watch Asian events, but your point makes it even harder for me.  I would have been rooting for Sarah or Minjee but Minjee faded already on day 2.  Anyway, onwards to watching Hideki today at Arnold Palmer (and with time change, easier too haha).  Agree with your comments for sure!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Really don’t like the way GC handles these Asian tournaments. Whoever is in control of commercial breaks should be let go. We maybe got to see half of Tardy’s shots the last six holes. You don’t cut to commercial when she’s putting her ball down for a birdie putt. 

In NZ we had no commercial breaks (5 hrs continuous coverage). The Chinese coverage was poor as they did a lot of replays as the time between shots was too short to be live! One the 11th I think they cut to Ruixin putting for a birdie just as Bailey was about to put for a birdie despite Bailey leading and Ruixin in 5th place! They then went back to show the replay of Bailey draining the birdie. 

I was happy to see Bailey get her first LPGA tournament win and the $330,000. Lyd's still had a good tournament. I'm still hoping the HOF comes with an Olympic gold medal. That would be a very fitting way to see it happen based on her career.  

• Like 2

Cutting away on Tardy’s shots down the stretch for commercial breaks was infuriating.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

22 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

In NZ we had no commercial breaks (5 hrs continuous coverage). The Chinese coverage was poor as they did a lot of replays as the time between shots was too short to be live! One the 11th I think they cut to Ruixin putting for a birdie just as Bailey was about to put for a birdie despite Bailey leading and Ruixin in 5th place! They then went back to show the replay of Bailey draining the birdie. 

At least you got to see the replay. You’d have to see what GC does to believe it. They will literally go to commercial in the middle of a backswing. There’s no “here’s what happened during the commercial break” replays because only GC was in commercial break. At times it feels like it’s automated and on a timer. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I’m sorry, but not even Minjee Lee could save this one for me (but I’d still fast foward and watch all her shots, on my way to seeing if there was any late action that I needed to stop and watch). And Lydia too.. only a fool wouldn’t watch all of Lydia’s shots. 

The TV production here in America made this tourney unwatchable. I planned to watch only the final round. I started the morning by growing more stultified by whatever in the ** Formula 1 is thinking.. anyways, on to the golf.

Five hour recording. 6.5 minutes in, the first live shots—Tee box #1. I hadn’t really learned anything about rounds 1-3, but I do know the players in the mix/scores going into round 4.

Last group tees off. Right away I know this is going to tough to watch. The problem first problem is with how boring the other two players are. Unlike what was happening today, Lydia is nicely paired with the other top top players. Lydia is at her best when she’s with the sport’s superstars. Her game is so unique, to a keen viewing eye, you’re watching the difference between the hot, streaking, probably sufficiently charismatic top players who have a spark going and are exciting to watch for the sport’s fans. I mean, even Furue (pronounced with six syllables) has something for us fans to see and say, “Yep.. I know why she’s a boss.”

With Lydia, you’re seeing the golf club never ever ever out of place whenever she’s making a golfing move. From the driver to the putter, whenever a golf club is in her hands and she has the intention of using it, that club is in the perfect position—angles. That’s physically, aesthetically.

Psychologically, she’s never ever ever out of position. She plays the ball to the correct spot every single time. If she miss reads a putt badly, she has five feet remaining on THE BEST LINE POSSIBLE. That brilliance follows every shot she makes, until the ball’s in the hole. She never misses where she’s out of position. She is quite special to watch play golf.

The other great great players know they can’t do that. Their mistakes are costly due to faulty technique, mental or emotional breakdown on that shot.. silhouettes that are very much not of Mrs. Ko. 

Geez, but compared to Tardy and Schmezel, I was so distracted by the way they play golf, Lydia almost becomes the anti-hero of the final round.

So other than Minjee and Lydia, what the hell am I watching…?? —A five hour long advertisement of Bay Blue Ridge Hainan island weird looking course resort golf destination. And I gotta say.. I’d never ever fly 20 hours to stay and play that thing. Nice pin green complexes and pin placement wizardry——NOT!

The rhythm of this broadcast was something out of a hysterical freakout by a blue whale. One foot putt—>BLUE triangle transition iMovie graphic to the Peeping Tom drone flight of hole #6 (I honestly thought I’d never make it this far in the broadcast). Literally takes what, 20-30 seconds for each drone flight..?

Back to “the action.” We see Lydia.. wait… Yeah..! I think that is her..!😭 But why is she so far away..?😢 And why is there a very big tree somewhere closer to her than to me, and it looks she may have to go over, under, around.. I just can’t tell because everything is so far away from this camera, and I’m realizing.. wow, for this broadcast a behind the green area tower camera is good enough for Lydia Ko approach shots 😦 My connection to this broadcast is crusading towards the nothingness towel. My desire to watch this lives on with “>>” on my remote and stopping to watch Minjee and Lydia. The broadcast skipped A LOT of what happened on and around green #1 and tee #2 I believe for the last group. I was seriously lost watching this thing. The top of the leader board shuffled, and this was happening while we where watching another course ad, or other stuff they were showing like perfectly framed and executed camera work of a patch of the very very perfectly normal/successful looking crowd, as if if were part of a production movie. So I couldn’t. I saw Minjee —IN MID-CHIP MOTION— get yanked with the shepherd’s hook for more ads or graphics or hole fly-bys… I just wanna forget. 

I put on something else while I made this post and I don’t think I’m going back to watching the Blue Bay Bridge Golf Tournament unless I’m super super bored. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

Cutting away on Tardy’s shots down the stretch for commercial breaks was infuriating.

I don't know what the contractual arrangement is between the LPGA and US broadcasters but subscription services like Sky Sports UK, Sky Sports NZ, Fox Sports Australia and all non US broadcasters all take direct feeds from the tournament broadcasters. This allows them to decide if they have commercial breaks providing the tournament broadcaster gives continuous coverage of play (with some real time editing). With our coverage only the LPGA feeds from the US broadcasters do they stop the live coverage for commercial breaks so our provider also has to put in breaks. 

Yes it must be infuriating if your paying for a subscription based service and they still have commercial breaks while the live coverage is continuing! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OBbogey5 said:

I’m sorry, but not even Minjee Lee could save this one for me (but I’d still fast foward and watch all her shots, on my way to seeing if there was any late action that I needed to stop and watch). And Lydia too.. only a fool wouldn’t watch all of Lydia’s shots. 

The TV production here in America made this tourney unwatchable. I planned to watch only the final round. I started the morning by growing more stultified by whatever in the ** Formula 1 is thinking.. anyways, on to the golf.

Five hour recording. 6.5 minutes in, the first live shots—Tee box #1. I hadn’t really learned anything about rounds 1-3, but I do know the players in the mix/scores going into round 4.

Last group tees off. Right away I know this is going to tough to watch. The problem first problem is with how boring the other two players are. Unlike what was happening today, Lydia is nicely paired with the other top top players. Lydia is at her best when she’s with the sport’s superstars. Her game is so unique, to a keen viewing eye, you’re watching the difference between the hot, streaking, probably sufficiently charismatic top players who have a spark going and are exciting to watch for the sport’s fans. I mean, even Furue (pronounced with six syllables) has something for us fans to see and say, “Yep.. I know why she’s a boss.”

With Lydia, you’re seeing the golf club never ever ever out of place whenever she’s making a golfing move. From the driver to the putter, whenever a golf club is in her hands and she has the intention of using it, that club is in the perfect position—angles. That’s physically, aesthetically.

Psychologically, she’s never ever ever out of position. She plays the ball to the correct spot every single time. If she miss reads a putt badly, she has five feet remaining on THE BEST LINE POSSIBLE. That brilliance follows every shot she makes, until the ball’s in the hole. She never misses where she’s out of position. She is quite special to watch play golf.

The other great great players know they can’t do that. Their mistakes are costly due to faulty technique, mental or emotional breakdown on that shot.. silhouettes that are very much not of Mrs. Ko. 

Geez, but compared to Tardy and Schmezel, I was so distracted by the way they play golf, Lydia almost becomes the anti-hero of the final round.

So other than Minjee and Lydia, what the hell am I watching…?? —A five hour long advertisement of Bay Blue Ridge Hainan island weird looking course resort golf destination. And I gotta say.. I’d never ever fly 20 hours to stay and play that thing. Nice pin green complexes and pin placement wizardry——NOT!

The rhythm of this broadcast was something out of a hysterical freakout by a blue whale. One foot putt—>BLUE triangle transition iMovie graphic to the Peeping Tom drone flight of hole #6 (I honestly thought I’d never make it this far in the broadcast). Literally takes what, 20-30 seconds for each drone flight..?

Back to “the action.” We see Lydia.. wait… Yeah..! I think that is her..!😭 But why is she so far away..?😢 And why is there a very big tree somewhere closer to her than to me, and it looks she may have to go over, under, around.. I just can’t tell because everything is so far away from this camera, and I’m realizing.. wow, for this broadcast a behind the green area tower camera is good enough for Lydia Ko approach shots 😦 My connection to this broadcast is crusading towards the nothingness towel. My desire to watch this lives on with “>>” on my remote and stopping to watch Minjee and Lydia. The broadcast skipped A LOT of what happened on and around green #1 and tee #2 I believe for the last group. I was seriously lost watching this thing. The top of the leader board shuffled, and this was happening while we where watching another course ad, or other stuff they were showing like perfectly framed and executed camera work of a patch of the very very perfectly normal/successful looking crowd, as if if were part of a production movie. So I couldn’t. I saw Minjee —IN MID-CHIP MOTION— get yanked with the shepherd’s hook for more ads or graphics or hole fly-bys… I just wanna forget. 

I put on something else while I made this post and I don’t think I’m going back to watching the Blue Bay Bridge Golf Tournament unless I’m super super bored. 

3 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

I don't know what the contractual arrangement is between the LPGA and US broadcasters but subscription services like Sky Sports UK, Sky Sports NZ, Fox Sports Australia and all non US broadcasters all take direct feeds from the tournament broadcasters. This allows them to decide if they have commercial breaks providing the tournament broadcaster gives continuous coverage of play (with some real time editing). With our coverage only the LPGA feeds from the US broadcasters do they stop the live coverage for commercial breaks so our provider also has to put in breaks. 

Yes it must be infuriating if your paying for a subscription based service and they still have commercial breaks while the live coverage is continuing! 

"+1" on @AKL Kiwi's comments.  The "Asian swing" that has just concluded =  produced for TV broadcast by IMG.

One way to watch without the long commercials/ad breaks = to stream via either the LPGA website, or via Sky Sports UK's youtube channel.

https://www.lpga.com/videos/live (find a VPN location that doesn't have a local broadcast contract ... e.g. Ukraine).

https://www.lpga.com/international-tv-distribution 

image.png.dbf8c0059e6f0fd6a982925ff944ba06.png

image.png.9b8574682b59278014d35b827052a20d.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

2 hours ago, OBbogey5 said:

You are a person of conviction. Curious, which broadcast did you watch? States Side?

He’s not alone. I watched the entire thing also (stateside) and as annoying as the presentation was, I enjoyed watching Bailey Tardy dismantle the course the final two days.

Watching the 3rd round, I remembered seeing her before, but I couldn’t remember when. Then it dawned on me. She led for a good portion of the U.S. Open last summer. The girl is very talented, and hopefully coming into her own now. 

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

20 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

At least you got to see the replay. You’d have to see what GC does to believe it. They will literally go to commercial in the middle of a backswing. There’s no “here’s what happened during the commercial break” replays because only GC was in commercial break. At times it feels like it’s automated and on a timer. 

Not only that, they had to show highlights every 15 minutes. While they were showing highlights we were missing approch shots to the green.

Edited by tonyj5
  • Like 3