2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Need some driver help…

Hello all,

I read on the forums often but just made an account.. first post so I cannot add pictures yet. I will try to give the rundown.. I got fitted for this driver at the end of last season on a trackman, numbers match my mevo+.  Tsr2 extra stiff shaft set to 9 degrees loft during fitting. I can’t hit this thing anywhere now, I’m lucky to carry 250. Verified on the course, my longest drive yesterday was 260. Last year I could carry 280. My apex is consistently 150ft now, spin 4200, club speed 116.7, ball speed 157.6, smash 1.35, club path 3.5R, FTP .7L, AOA 4.8, v Plane 48.4, low point -4.7, FTT 2.8R, carry 246.4. Center face contact slightly toward the heel (half a ball about).

I know my smash is down and spin is super high, any ideas what I could try would be appreciated. I would add pictures and swing video if I could, I will when I get the option. Much appreciated!

IMG_2188.jpeg

Sh** happens to all of us... 🙂  It might be as simple as your swing has changed, causing you to not use the driver's sweet spot.

My 30 - something son last year was hitting driver 285-295, this year he's down to 275, same driver and shaft combo.  What's changed, he's not practicing as much.  I am twice + his age and maintaining driver carry around 245+ with good ones 260+

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Yeah sh** happens! I definitely haven’t been practicing, this is my first week swings since November (Michigan). Things change day to day let year to year I guess. Maybe I just need to get out there more. This is my third year golfing, looking to get consistently get in the 80s this year. Reading the forums has thought me a lot, haven’t gone for a lesson yet. Thanks for the reply 

My apex is consistently 150ft now, spin 4200, club speed 116.7, ball speed 157.6, smash 1.35

This combined with mentioning that your strike is "half a ball" towards the heel paints the whole picture IMO. You're suffering from pretty significant inefficiency in launch, spin, and strike that is causing the issue. The speed is still there and your numbers line up with what Flightscope suggests on both sides; you should be around 280+ carry with 116mph clubhead speed BUT if that speed is only producing 158mph ball speed then 246y is pretty accurate. If your comment about hitting "half a ball towards the heel" is even close to right then that is where a lot of your problem is coming from. Half a ball = about 20mm, and in terms of the impact on efficiency and spin this has, that is a *mile* away from the sweet spot, and in the most inefficient part of the face. Even if you're off significantly in your estimation and you're actually 1/4 of a ball towards the heel, that is still too far. Anything in the double digits millimeter wise away from the sweet spot is considered a mishit, and anything heel side of the sweetspot is going to spin much more and drop in ball speed faster. At 116mph you should always be living north of 170mph ball speed, with anything dipping down into the 160's considered a mishit and anything in the 150's being catastrophic. 

You'll have to dig into why your strike location has gotten so poor and whether or not you're also potentially adding loft at impact. The strike might explain everything, but we'd really need to see it via impact marks to confirm. Either way, you have to get out of the heel side of the clubhead if you want proper efficiency. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Ok thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware that far off sweet spot would be so detrimental. I actually thought slightly toward the heel was optimal.. whoops. I’ll spray the face with some foot spray and make sure the impact location is correct on the mevo. I already feel like I’m stretched out more than I normally am and numbers improved a bit. I’m scared I’ll just fall over if I stretch out any more lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ilovefairways said:

Ok thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware that far off sweet spot would be so detrimental. I actually thought slightly toward the heel was optimal.. whoops. I’ll spray the face with some foot spray and make sure the impact location is correct on the mevo. I already feel like I’m stretched out more than I normally am and numbers improved a bit. I’m scared I’ll just fall over if I stretch out any more lol.

Slightly towards the toe is actually where most people shoot for to gain maximum efficiency. Where that spot actually is depends on the actual sweet spot location on the face, but I believe the TSR2 is pretty centered in that regard. Fade biased drivers are such because the sweetspot is slightly toe side, and vice versa for draw biased drivers. Either way, heel is bad. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

As a fellow Mevo+ user I would definitely say you gotta take the numbers with a grain of salt. I know all the reviews talk about how good it is and what not, but in my experience its own inaccuracy and the effects of indoor mats and factors can have you chasing ghosts a bit. Its still a really cool tool but what I would see outside is definitely different. I noticed I even swing a little slower inside just out of a little fear in a more confined space. As for outside in Michigan you probably won’t consistently see what you would see on a “good” monitor ball. I have a few family members/family friends who are single digits and would play with me on the Mevo+ and complain because they hit it so much longer outside. Its just kinda the way it goes. My own ghost this year was launching the ball high and spinning it low with irons so I made a ton of unnecessary changes to try and fix something that wasn’t really a problem once I go outside.

Yeah distances on grass are much more consistent for me as well. As I get better though the numbers seem to be aligning more and more.

Update on the driver… I sprayed the face and am definitely hitting closer to heel and was high. I lowered tee height, put the ball back in my stance about 1”, and got up to 1.45 smash. Just need to work on hitting the sweet spot better.

Also I’m going to have to drill a hole in my mat and stick a rubber tee through so I can adjust height, they were too high part of the problem. This is about after 10 shots..IMG_2198.jpeg.ca7591f10b04a68eb555fdfec4c6fe1c.jpeg