Ventus TR Red vs Diamana GT (In Driver)

Hey guys! New to the forum but have been following for years (fellow club/spec junkie and former NCAA D2 golfer).

Anyone have any experience between the TR Red and Diamana GT in driver? I currently have the TR Red in my fairway woods and am loving the stiffer handle (coming from Og Ventus Blue). I've got the TR Blue in driver and although we get along, I find I can hit the low left shot often as it feels a little loose in transition? Wondering if I would benefit from a more handle stiff profile and the TR Red & GT seem to be solid contenders. Not sure I have the stones for Ventus Black as I sit around 108-113mph and have found it harsh in previous testing. Would be considering these in 6X most likely. Any thoughts/reviews would be very helpful! Cheers 

Ping G430 LST 10 - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5 - Ventus TR Red 7X

Titleist TSR2 21 - Ventus TR Red 8X

Miura TC201 4-PW - DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 Black 50F - DG Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 Black 54S - DG Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 Black 58M - DG Tour Issue S400

Piretti Potenza II Black Onyx

I would definitely try Red TR—it has saved my tee game.  I have a tendency to come too much from the inside and miss toe side.  So with the Blue, I too would turn it over too much.  With the Red, I’m hitting high, baby push draws, finding way more fairways.

I like the GT a lot too.  I didn’t have it for too long, but it felt closer to the Blue to me than Red.  Nice smooth midsection.  

FWIW, I still have Blue TR in my Mini driver and OG Blue in 5w.

Edited by JMB3

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl Stiff

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

Not much to add other than a similar data point.

110-115mph, recently switched from TR Blue 6X to TR Red 6X with extreme improvements in feel and ball flight. The low knuckler I used to see with the TR Blue is completely gone.

TR Red just launches super well for me, reasonably struck shots are spinning in the 2200-2400 range  I've actually found it way harder to miss left than with the TR Blue.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TillyGolf said:

Hey guys! New to the forum but have been following for years (fellow club/spec junkie and former NCAA D2 golfer).

Anyone have any experience between the TR Red and Diamana GT in driver? I currently have the TR Red in my fairway woods and am loving the stiffer handle (coming from Og Ventus Blue). I've got the TR Blue in driver and although we get along, I find I can hit the low left shot often as it feels a little loose in transition? Wondering if I would benefit from a more handle stiff profile and the TR Red & GT seem to be solid contenders. Not sure I have the stones for Ventus Black as I sit around 108-113mph and have found it harsh in previous testing. Would be considering these in 6X most likely. Any thoughts/reviews would be very helpful! Cheers 

Have both shafts and between the two, TR Red wins due to stiffer handle and tip.   D-GT has a kind of odd bend feeling in my hands, no doubt it doesn't like my tempo.  The difference between Black or Red shafts comes down to tip section of Red is stiff, as opposed to Black's tip is ultra-stiff, and that's noticeable.  Black will demand consistency. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick reply! @ck800 I've been finding the same thing with my TR Red's in my fairways vs my old OG Blue's. For some reason I don't miss left as much with the Red's even though on paper it sounds like it should be the opposite? I'm thinking it might have something to do with that soft handle and my delivery with the blue profiles? Can i ask what head you're playing your TR Red 6X in? Also did you tip it? I remember trying one that wasn't tipped and it felt like it could have used .5-1" to really tighten it up. Curious what you're gaming as a FW shaft 

5 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Have both shafts and between the two, TR Red wins due to stiffer handle and tip.   D-GT has a kind of odd bend feeling in my hands, no doubt it doesn't like my tempo.  The difference between Black or Red shafts comes down to tip section of Red is stiff, as opposed to Black's tip is ultra-stiff, and that's noticeable.  Black will demand consistency. 

@Pepperturbo good to know about the black. Every time I've tried it I struggled to load it properly. Speed wise I think I've got enough but something about it just felt harsh/hard to load. Interesting about the GT, don't see too many of them out on tour. Any other stiffer handle/smooth feeling driver shafts you would recommend? Cheers

8 minutes ago, TillyGolf said:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick reply! @ck800 I've been finding the same thing with my TR Red's in my fairways vs my old OG Blue's. For some reason I don't miss left as much with the Red's even though on paper it sounds like it should be the opposite? I'm thinking it might have something to do with that soft handle and my delivery with the blue profiles? Can i ask what head you're playing your TR Red 6X in? Also did you tip it? I remember trying one that wasn't tipped and it felt like it could have used .5-1" to really tighten it up. Curious what you're gaming as a FW shaft 

TSR3 9°, stock length, no tipping.

I don't really think the difference between Black, Blue, Red etc. makes a truly significant difference on launch conditions, but it makes a huge difference with feel. Give a robot all 3 and the differences will be minor. At the end of the day whatever version grooves with your swing + feels the best is the version for you.

I play TR Blue 7X in a TSR2 15°, all stock. Haven't had any troubles with it, but can't say I use it that much anyway.

The most interesting thing is I also have Black HB 9TX in a TSR3 hybrid, and a T200 2 iron that I use off the tee all the time.

ZERO trouble launching both of them mile in the air and working whichever way I want, which is a great example of how feel + what works with your swing is the most important. 

1 minute ago, TillyGolf said:

@Pepperturbo good to know about the black. Every time I've tried it I struggled to load it properly. Speed wise I think I've got enough but something about it just felt harsh/hard to load. Interesting about the GT, don't see too many of them out on tour. Any other stiffer handle/smooth feeling driver shafts you would recommend? Cheers

Because of my tempo/transition, I've always gone with stiff handle and tip shafts.  Except when Fujikura came out with the TR series.  I have original Red and enjoyed it for a while.  All the shafts in TR series are different because of TR materials, so I bought TR Red and Blue.   

We're not seeing many Tour Spec shafts these days, it's been replaced by TX.  But Tour spec shafts tends to have stronger butt and tip sections.  The shaft I played for many years before TR Blue was Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60; a helluva strong shaft.

I am not sure why GT isn't nearly as popular as other models.  Maybe it has to do with MCA not advertising much.

I actually prefer the TR Blue over TR Red in driver, which REALLY surprised me.  Apparently, the stiffness of TR blue handle is more than many comparable profiles.  If you haven't checked it out, you might... Good luck

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Wow that's wild about the Black HB! I'm imagining that thing feeling like a telephone pole. I tried the TR Blue in a 3 metal during my fitting and wanted to love it but for some reason it just kept seeing the left side of the grid when compared to that TR Red. it felt a little harsher to as apposed to the 6X I currently have in driver. In typical GolfWRX fashion I don't want to believe the TR Red could be "my shaft" for all my woods when it fact it likely is haha. Completely agree on the "launch profile" side of things, as I typically hit low launch shafts the highest. It's all about the feel of the shaft and how that profile can alter your delivery.

I've tested the TR Red and have the GT in my 3 metal.  Had the GT in driver as well but that was a short lived experiment.  EI profile wise they are similar, IMO.  I'd say the TR Red has a bit more kick though in the mid section.  GT was more stable for me and I prefer the feel over the TR Red.  Numbers were similar with the TR Red launching a degree higher.  GT feels smoother than the TR Red as well. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I saw lower launch with GT over TR Red.  Much preferred the feel of GT, but wasn't spinning it enough with the head I had at the time.  I wish I didn't sell it lol. One of the best looking shafts in recent memory.  With TR Red I saw high launch and mid spin.  High fades.  Off the tee, I prefer to turn it over a little.  GD VF does this for me.

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Seems like some mixed reviews on the GT vs TR Red as to be expected. Curious if any of you could tell me which Ventus would relate closest to the old Fujikura Speeder Evolution II? That shaft was my trusty companion for years. I know on paper it was a "low/low" shaft but it never felt like that to me (wasn't harsh feeling or difficult to load).

On 3/26/2024 at 2:46 PM, phizzy30 said:

I've tested the TR Red and have the GT in my 3 metal.  Had the GT in driver as well but that was a short lived experiment.  EI profile wise they are similar, IMO.  I'd say the TR Red has a bit more kick though in the mid section.  GT was more stable for me and I prefer the feel over the TR Red.  Numbers were similar with the TR Red launching a degree higher.  GT feels smoother than the TR Red as well. 

@phizzy30 do you recall where you could feel the GT kicking if you went after one? Assuming it was more in the mid to tip given the stiffer handle? If the GT is more stable than the Red I think thats probably where I need to start looking. TR Red has been lovely in the fairways though!

Just now, TillyGolf said:

@phizzy30 do you recall where you could feel the GT kicking if you went after one? Assuming it was more in the mid to tip given the stiffer handle? If the GT is more stable than the Red I think thats probably where I need to start looking. TR Red has been lovely in the fairways though!

It's a very subtle kick in the mid section.  Ball doesn't curve as much either way with the GT for me. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

21 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

It's a very subtle kick in the mid section.  Ball doesn't curve as much either way with the GT for me. 

Sounds very ideal. If you don't mind me asking, what weight/flex did you try in the driver and why wasn't it a keeper? 

Just now, TillyGolf said:

Sounds very ideal. If you don't mind me asking, what weight/flex did you try in the driver and why wasn't it a keeper? 

70TX.  It was ok with just my stock swing but it could wild when I'd go after one.  It's awesome in fairway metals though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TillyGolf said:

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Seems like some mixed reviews on the GT vs TR Red as to be expected. Curious if any of you could tell me which Ventus would relate closest to the old Fujikura Speeder Evolution II? That shaft was my trusty companion for years. I know on paper it was a "low/low" shaft but it never felt like that to me (wasn't harsh feeling or difficult to load).

I would say the TR Red is most similar to Evo III (which is ironically red paint job as well) followed by the Evo V. Honestly all the older Speeders (which I love) are subtle tweaks and are mid/mid with the exception of the IV (which felt significantly firmer and stiffer to me). Don’t Sleep on the newer NX (blue). It has plenty of launch but for me the spin stayed in the 2200-2400 range. It’s actually pretty close to the TR Red for me at least.  

GT is solid and feels better to me vs the TR Red and numbers are within the same range.  One isn’t drastically higher/lower launch or spin than the other. 

Titleist TSR3 10* Diamana GT 60
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana GT 70
Titleist 816 H2 19* Fubuki AV400
Srixon ZX7 MKII DG Mid 115 S300
Mizuno T24 Raw 50.54,58 DGTI S400
Bettinardi SS28 Tour

On 3/28/2024 at 9:12 AM, Jaywh2 said:

I would say the TR Red is most similar to Evo III (which is ironically red paint job as well) followed by the Evo V. Honestly all the older Speeders (which I love) are subtle tweaks and are mid/mid with the exception of the IV (which felt significantly firmer and stiffer to me). Don’t Sleep on the newer NX (blue). It has plenty of launch but for me the spin stayed in the 2200-2400 range. It’s actually pretty close to the TR Red for me at least.  

GT is solid and feels better to me vs the TR Red and numbers are within the same range.  One isn’t drastically higher/lower launch or spin than the other. 

great feedback, thanks @Jaywh2 Definitely going to give the GT a go!

33 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Got TR red in the fairway woods and GT in the driver new for this season. Rolled TR blue in all last year. Switched it up

How does the GT compare to your TR Blue in the driver? Curious how well it’s pairing up with those TR Red’s as well? 

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough! Well gang I went for a driver fitting and the Gt felt horrible haha. the 60x felt like a pool noodle and produced the worst shots of the session for me. I could see it working out in a fairway wood with the added weight and stiffness. My TR Blue was surprisingly the best of the bunch followed closely by the AD VF, AD DI, and Ping Tour Black all in 6X. I wish I could have tried a TR Red Tipped an inch because it did perform very well but the spin was on the high side. Tipped an inch and I could see it being a great driver option. For now I'll stick with the TR Blue 6X at 45" playing length.

• Like 1