Driver Speed Exercises

Question: during and after COVID, I stepped away from the game for a few years to pursue something else. 

I came back to golf last year and obviously lost club speed. I gained weight, have been training in the gym differently for years now, focusing on muscle growth getting away from flexibility exercises.  

With my driver I’m easily 7-10 MPH slower on my swing speed (Trackman). In another simulator comparing like to like I’m the same. I have two sources of truth. And last year I knew my distances were much less with my Garmin watch marking off my tee shots. I’m not as severe on my irons, but a club less now. 

I’ve out grown my two old sets.  They are S+ C-Tapers in Titleist AP2s, soft stepped KBS X Flex Mixuno JPX 800 Pro, with my Drivers being Titleist 915 D2, and a TaylorMade M2 both with Speeder 661, playing 44 1/2 inches and tipped a 1/2.  I played somewhat stiffer clubs for my then swing speeds. 

What’s the best way to get that swing speed back and fit back into my clubs exercise wise.

What do you work on at the gym besides woodchoppers and medicine ball throws. 

Someone also told me I’m 3 years older the speed isn’t coming back. So I’m determined to prove them wrong even more so. 

I also don’t want to buy new clubs since my old clubs were so great and fit me. But that was 3 years ago. I made this longer than it needed, so thank you for any replies in advance. 

Titleist 915 D2, Motore Speeder 661

TEE XCG-7 Beta 16.5*, Ozik Red Tie 7Q3 or TaylorMade RBZ 15* w/Ozik Red Tie 7Q3

Adams Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Odyssey Versa 90 #7 (White/Black)

Exercises:

Dynamic warm-up prior to anything including golf

Planks (all variations - 30 sec to 1 min holds)

Slam balls (any variations that involve explosive movements)

High intensity cardio (sprints, box jumps, down ups, etc)

Mobility stretching after workouts

Golf specific:

Step-drills over and over for proper sequencing

20-30 reps of swinging as fast as you possibly can without a ball every other day. A swing speed radar ($100~) is an amazing investment because you can track progress and it almost forces you to find a little extra speed during each session to beat the previous PRs.

Over speed training with a lighter club or one of the many speed training aids like Super Speed sticks

*Optional*

I'm a huge believer in the idea that the majority of speed comes from releasing the club using your hands and arms. An example is that my max swing speed is 122mph but I can swing 112mph with my feet touching together just using my hands, arms and a little shoulder rotation. The best way to train hands and arm speed is to do max swings from your knees.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

*Optional*

I'm a huge believer in the idea that the majority of speed comes from releasing the club using your hands and arms.

First, thank you for your input. That’s exactly what I was looking for. 

Secondly, I always struggled with releasing the club. Back in the day I had a nice power fade. However on a hole or two I wouldn’t release my hands and that power fade turned into a full slice that would always put me in jeopardy and usually ruin a good round and stop me from shooting in the 70s as opposed to the low/mid 80s. 

I’ve been working with my long time swing instructor and he pounds that into my head. I just started to get that feeling all over again after a month plus. 

any tips for that? 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 4:15 AM, Antnee94 said:

Question: during and after COVID, I stepped away from the game for a few years to pursue something else. 

I came back to golf last year and obviously lost club speed. I gained weight, have been training in the gym differently for years now, focusing on muscle growth getting away from flexibility exercises.  

With my driver I’m easily 7-10 MPH slower on my swing speed (Trackman). In another simulator comparing like to like I’m the same. I have two sources of truth. And last year I knew my distances were much less with my Garmin watch marking off my tee shots. I’m not as severe on my irons, but a club less now. 

I’ve out grown my two old sets.  They are S+ C-Tapers in Titleist AP2s, soft stepped KBS X Flex Mixuno JPX 800 Pro, with my Drivers being Titleist 915 D2, and a TaylorMade M2 both with Speeder 661, playing 44 1/2 inches and tipped a 1/2.  I played somewhat stiffer clubs for my then swing speeds. 

What’s the best way to get that swing speed back and fit back into my clubs exercise wise.

What do you work on at the gym besides woodchoppers and medicine ball throws. 

Someone also told me I’m 3 years older the speed isn’t coming back. So I’m determined to prove them wrong even more so. 

I also don’t want to buy new clubs since my old clubs were so great and fit me. But that was 3 years ago. I made this longer than it needed, so thank you for any replies in advance. 

If you want speed - start speed training.  It comes back fast.

I did Superspeed a few years ago - then because of injuries and other interests - took quite a bit of time off.  Came back and struggled to get the driver above 110.  Did Superspeed for 6 sessions and am back at 120 with a personal best of 176 ball speed (with a range ball).  I'm not the fastest by any means - but gaining 10mph max out with a driver in a few weeks back is something I don't believe I could have done had I not re-opened the neural pathways via speed training (or w/e - I'm not a doctor)

I'm not a sports scientist by any means - but I really do believe there's quite a bit to "increasing your mental speed limit" via overspeed training.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

@Antnee94, any progress?

I’m in a similar situation. But am also climbing in the gym again after a 30 year hiatus from that.

Recently, my ageing climbing partner wanted to golf as well. So, I’m getting back to it.

After eight 9 hole rounds I’ve been hitting about 4 greens on average for the past few rounds. Barely okay iron shots help me make greens.

Shooting typically 44 on a par 35 or 36.

Not hitting very far off the tee, maybe 210 yards on average with that freak 260 yard drive.

I’m also looking to increase my tee shot distances hoping to turn that freak shot into my normal.

Edited by Lincoln_Arcadia

Is there a chance you're swinging slower because you're unsure where the ball is going? That would make a lot of sense after a long layoff. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I  am longer now off the tee, in my 40's than I have ever been and by a pretty big margin.  I am not scoring like I did at my best yet, so I do not believe it is better contact but sheer strength. I am also not nearly as flexible as I need to be so unlikely that.

That being said, here is what I have been doing.  None of which am I doing heavy weights, I stay in the 70-75%ish range of 1 rep max for everything as I train more for longevity and overall health than for body building or golf specific. I also never isolate, as the the most recent meta data says compound movements are better in SOOOO many ways.

Squats - HUGE difference IMO, every golfer should be doing this

I alternate between seated Back Row, Pull Ups in both hand positions, or whatever you call the reverse of the Pec/Fly machine

Because of an injury, I do very little pressing and more Pec/Fly for chest and occasionally sneak in some planks

Lots of medicine ball torso rotation and up/down moves, holding stretches at the extreme of each movement

One leg step ups and back down varying speed and height

Occasionally Swim laps, mainly freestyle and breast stroke

Tons of walking outside but sometimes on the treadmill so I can bump the incline way up, occasional outside bike rides, or a hike

It's not perfect but I can assure you my life changed in MANY ways for the better since I have been doing this stuff.  Golf is just one benefit

Edited by Golfinfloridaafter40
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

5 hours ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

I  am longer now off the tee, in my 40's than I have ever been and by a pretty big margin.  I am not scoring like I did at my best yet, so I do not believe it is better contact but sheer strength. I am also not nearly as flexible as I need to be so unlikely that.

That being said, here is what I have been doing.  None of which am I doing heavy weights, I stay in the 70-75%ish range of 1 rep max for everything as I train more for longevity and overall health than for body building or golf specific. I also never isolate, as the the most recent meta data says compound movements are better in SOOOO many ways.

Squats - HUGE difference IMO, every golfer should be doing this

I alternate between seated Back Row, Pull Ups in both hand positions, or whatever you call the reverse of the Pec/Fly machine

Because of an injury, I do very little pressing and more Pec/Fly for chest and occasionally sneak in some planks

Lots of medicine ball torso rotation and up/down moves, holding stretches at the extreme of each movement

One leg step ups and back down varying speed and height

Occasionally Swim laps, mainly freestyle and breast stroke

Tons of walking outside but sometimes on the treadmill so I can bump the incline way up, occasional outside bike rides, or a hike

It's not perfect but I can assure you my life changed in MANY ways for the better since I have been doing this stuff.  Golf is just one benefit

If your knees will do it - squats are amazing.  There's a reason Starting Strength has you squatting every work out.

Learning to do cleans properly is great as well.  Really hard to learn on your own, but the explosiveness is supremely useful for all athletics. 

• Like 2

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 12:37 AM, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

@Antnee94, any progress?

I’m in a similar situation. But am also climbing in the gym again after a 30 year hiatus from that.

Recently, my ageing climbing partner wanted to golf as well. So, I’m getting back to it.

After eight 9 hole rounds I’ve been hitting about 4 greens on average for the past few rounds. Barely okay iron shots help me make greens.

Shooting typically 44 on a par 35 or 36.

Not hitting very far off the tee, maybe 210 yards on average with that freak 260 yard drive.

I’m also looking to increase my tee shot distances hoping to turn that freak shot into my normal.

Zero progress on the swing speed. However I am down 15 lbs. So at least that is working in the gym. I started incorporating squats every other day, battle ropes, paloff press, dead lifts

On 4/1/2024 at 5:32 PM, MysteryV said:

f you want speed - start speed training.  It comes back fast.

I did Superspeed a few years ago

On 4/3/2024 at 2:38 PM, me05501 said:

Is there a chance you're swinging slower because you're unsure where the ball is going? That would make a lot of sense after a long layoff. 

@me05501 this is 100% true as well. Unfortunately, my banana slice has come back as if I was a 20 handicap again. I always had a power fade, and I know that kills yards, but this thing at time right now is completely uncontrollable on the majority of holes. 

The faster I try to swing, the looser the slice becomes. I've been working with my long time coach and I don't think I can make my grip any stronger and sill lose it right. I know where it's going, aim left and end up right, unless I over rotate and pull it left while aiming that way. But also, I know my swing speed on the trackman and About Golf Simulators I have my lessons and practice in. I'm a fill club to club and a half less with my irons also. 

I'm getting fitted tomorrow for a new driver, and Sunday for new irons. I basically out grew my current clubs because my swing speed is down so much. 

On 4/1/2024 at 5:32 PM, MysteryV said:

If you want speed - start speed training.  It comes back fast.

I did Superspeed a few years ago

@MysteryV I'm going to look into this. Thank you. 

PS... sorry it took so long to get back to everyone that replied. Life has been hectic with work and family. But hey, I did get a round of golf in at my Sales Conference in Dallas last week! So that was a bright spot. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, KD1 said:

I have a theory, based on nothing in particular, that it's all in the forearms, wrists, grip. I've recently adding dead hangs and forearm stuff to the routine... I'll let you know how it goes.

This theory may not be all that far fetched. I just started weighted hangs a few months ago. My last range session and 9 hole round had much better ball striking than I’ve ever had. 

Basically, I hang on the full holds on a BeastMaker1000 and hang 45,70,90,115, 125 and 135 pounds from a weight belt using proper form. Hold for 20 seconds per weight. I’m using 11 pound grip master to help my fingers recover daily as well. That simply provides a little force to help stimulate healing.

Hitting farther and with much less effort these days. Climbing is improving too.

• Like 1