2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Wilson Golf Product Testing and Fitting Experience @ Pinehurst | Following Along Here

4 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

These are all great questions. You and I share the same curiosity about the fitting process. I’ve been fortunate enough to go through several fittings before and will be able to compare the different experiences. In fact, I’ve even booked a $25 PXG fitting out of boredom on a weekday just to see how their process works and to chat about golf.

Here are my fitting experiences so far:

• In-person Ping fitting at the factory (free general fitting, not the VIP) - indoor
  • Hot Stix Golf (third-party fitting) - outdoor
  • PXG - indoor
  • TaylorMade - outdoor (not the Kingdom)
  • Cobra - outdoor

I'm most excited about this upcoming fitting because I haven't been fit in the last three or four years. During that time, I’ve lost weight, going from 350 lbs to 250 lbs, and my swing has changed significantly. I now have a less aggressive transition at the top of my swing and a smoother tempo. I used to play X100 in my irons, but after my weight loss journey, I couldn't get the ball airborne. In my last fitting with PXG, they suggested I should play the Steelfiber 110 in stiff. I'm curious to see if that is a true fit for my game or if they were just pushing an up-charge shaft and because they didn't have an X in stock and went with that instead. 🤣

First, let me say congratulations on your weight loss journey! That is awesome to commit yourself to a healthier lifestyle and achieve that much success.

Second, I appreciate that you will dive deeper into the fitting process. I have to say I have also done a few fittings and seldom find something that beats my current setup.

As for your PXG comment I have to say my fitting experiences with them typically hasn't been great and attempts to get me to pay a ton of money has kind of put me off from them.

I currently game Wilson throughout my entire bag and a fair amount of trial and error has gone into it to get me to a place where I am confident, but the hope is with this forum that I can be encouraged to seek out a Wilson fitting when available to dial in my current setup or get me into something else that they offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:30 AM, ChrisATL said:

Jealous of this (especially since you get to hang out with @knudson81 😂). Enjoy it everyone - can’t wait to follow along virtually!

As far as questions - would love to hear more about the Wilson line of products and how each tester is fit into their models. Candidly, I’ve never considered Wilson products (love them visually though) so curious to learn more. Thanks @GolfWRX_Official and the rest of the team! 

Hope you can demo the current Wilson products.  I got on board the Wilson Staff iron- train 🚂 at the start of last season after a demo session.  I can’t overstate how good they are. I’ve even changed to their staff wedges in a couple of lofts.  After an adjustment period I love the leading edge profile.

They are putting out some exceedingly good product. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TiScape said:

Esp when someone named ‘TM golf guy’ gets picked over ya for a Wilson event!! WHAT THE… 😜

Well, to be fair I made this account in 2005 back when I was still in high school haha. TM tour equipment was the rage at the time, and was also all I had in my bag. Now I don't have a single piece of their stuff. 

3 hours ago, golfnerd91 said:

My question for the testers is if Wilson uses their AI Fitting tech, did you feel it provided an accurate assessment? In addition, how does it feel to use the tech? I’m sure most people want to know, as Wilson is rarely in the fitting bay, how Wilson-certified fitters stack up in the fitting space. Are they knowledgeable? Are they looking at your swing and making suggestions to help reel in efficiency? What is their knowledge of current golf equipment trends, and how do they explain why their equipment stacks up (I.e., Callaway and Cobra have been using AI faces for years; how accurate is Wilson’s supercomputer compared to others in the golf space?) Should drivers and woods be tested? I’d also love to know how the Cortex, D9, and C300 line technology led to advancements in the Dynapower range of woods. And how do they compare, as while the new Wilson is more affordable than most, older Wilson tech is even more affordable?

I have a lot of questions! 😂 Sorry.

Lots of great questions here, and things I'm also curious about. My last fitting experience was back in 2022 with PXG when I was first contemplating picking golf back up again. I had a great experience with them, but it was probably a bit too soon to do a fitting as I was still trying to find a golf swing again. Even still, it was a great experience and will be a good frame of reference. 

When I was younger, I was a full time fitter myself, but that was prior to all of the new AI changes. I still think my previous experience and knowledge will give me something to go off of. As I mentioned earlier, I'm going in completely open minded to suggestions with the only goal being maximizing playability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

45 minutes ago, TM golf guy said:

Well, to be fair I made this account in 2005 back when I was still in high school haha. TM tour equipment was the rage at the time, and was also all I had in my bag. Now I don't have a single piece of their stuff. 

Lots of great questions here, and things I'm also curious about. My last fitting experience was back in 2022 with PXG when I was first contemplating picking golf back up again. I had a great experience with them, but it was probably a bit too soon to do a fitting as I was still trying to find a golf swing again. Even still, it was a great experience and will be a good frame of reference. 

When I was younger, I was a full time fitter myself, but that was prior to all of the new AI changes. I still think my previous experience and knowledge will give me something to go off of. As I mentioned earlier, I'm going in completely open minded to suggestions with the only goal being maximizing playability. 

Haha - funny story about TM bag (both then and now). 

As far as fitting, love that approach of going in open minded.  As I’ve said before, I’m not super familiar with Wilson’s line (besides the awesome look of their blades), so I think that’s the right approach. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged Black 5-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 7

5 hours ago, golfnerd91 said:

Yea but they pick based off of answers and reputation. I think for this experience they went with some of their more reliable forum testers versus chancing it on someone who might or might not be able to do the content piece. Let just hope that Wilson is able to kick TM guy’s gear out of his bag.

I just think it’s great they picked members that I recognize and actually see posting regularly! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

Geez, thanks.  You were in high school in 2005?  What am I? The chaperone?  My 50th high school reunion is next year.🤣

Keep the questions coming guys…we’ll be sure to try to answer them 

For me it’s a return to Wilson.  These were my first “real” set back in 1986 or so….

image.jpeg.372a19fa3f88971b2c6136cdaa84d014.jpeg

2006 grad here. 

Wilson DYNAPWR Carbon - Project X Denali

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Wilson Staff Model CB 4-PW - Steelfiber 110x
Wilson ZM 48* bent to 50*, 52* bent to 54*, 60* Tour Issue Spinner Shafts
Ping Oslo

8 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

2006 grad here. 

Same here. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

2 hours ago, Orchardist said:

Hope you can demo the current Wilson products.  I got on board the Wilson Staff iron- train 🚂 at the start of last season after a demo session.  I can’t overstate how good they are. I’ve even changed to their staff wedges in a couple of lofts.  After an adjustment period I love the leading edge profile.

They are putting out some exceedingly good product. 

what irons are you playing? 

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Ping Oslo

3 hours ago, golfnerd91 said:

First, let me say congratulations on your weight loss journey! That is awesome to commit yourself to a healthier lifestyle and achieve that much success.

Second, I appreciate that you will dive deeper into the fitting process. I have to say I have also done a few fittings and seldom find something that beats my current setup.

As for your PXG comment I have to say my fitting experiences with them typically hasn't been great and attempts to get me to pay a ton of money has kind of put me off from them.

I currently game Wilson throughout my entire bag and a fair amount of trial and error has gone into it to get me to a place where I am confident, but the hope is with this forum that I can be encouraged to seek out a Wilson fitting when available to dial in my current setup or get me into something else that they offer.

What is your bag makeup? 

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Ping Oslo

1 hour ago, TM golf guy said:

Same here. 

1 hour ago, golfnerd91 said:

2010 here😂

1 hour ago, Olson12 said:

2006 grad here. 

Good thing we have a love of golf in common.🤣

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

What is your bag makeup? 

Wilson Dynapower 9°@8°
Speeder Evo V 661 X

Wilson Dynapower 15°
Graphite Design AD HD 7X

Wilson Dynapower 18°
Graphite Design AD HD 8X

Wilson Staff Utility 22°

Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X

2021 Wilson Staff Model CB 5-P

Project X 6.5

Wilson FG Tour PMP 50°/55°/60°

True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Wilson MT22 /Evnroll Er2 Neo Classic Putter

(Testing out putters right now.)

——///——

I also rotate in a:

Wilson Cortex 10.5°@9.5

Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65X

3 minutes ago, golfnerd91 said:

Wilson Dynapower 9°@8°
Speeder Evo V 661 X

Wilson Dynapower 15°
Graphite Design AD HD 7X

Wilson Dynapower 18°
Graphite Design AD HD 8X

Wilson Staff Utility 22°

Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X

2021 Wilson Staff Model CB 5-P

Project X 6.5

Wilson FG Tour PMP 50°/55°/60°

True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Wilson MT22 /Evnroll Er2 Neo Classic Putter

(Testing out putters right now.)

——///——

I also rotate in a:

Wilson Cortex 10.5°@9.5

Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65X

Based on that bag I woulda guessed you had already completed the ‘Wilson product and fitting experience’! 🤣

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Based on that bag I woulda guessed you had already completed the ‘Wilson product and fitting experience’! 🤣

TiScape what can I say? I know what club profiles I like.😂 I will say I thought I was a shoe-in for this fitting experience, but I am still fairly new in the WRX community so, just paying my dues. Would have been awesome though. Playing TPC Myrte Beach in a couple weeks so I guess that's close enough.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, golfnerd91 said:

TiScape what can I say? I know what club profiles I like.😂 I will say I thought I was a shoe-in for this fitting experience, but I am still fairly new in the WRX community so, just paying my dues. Would have been awesome though. Playing TPC Myrte Beach in a couple weeks so I guess that's close enough.

Safe to say you weren’t selected for this because “ur good” on Wilson gear. 😂

*edited bcs I’m an idiot 😲

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

what irons are you playing? 

I play the 2023 model Wilson Staff Blade.  Started  as a kid in the mid 1970’s.

No other iron in my history has ever coached me on every shot like they do.  They encourage the shot I envision every single time at address.  The best iron head shape, sole, leading edge, topline, etc. I’ve ever enjoyed.  And oh my the sound and feel at impact…be sure to demo them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orchardist said:

I play the 2023 model Wilson Staff Blade.  Started  as a kid in the mid 1970’s.

No other iron in my history has ever coached me on every shot like they do.  They encourage the shot I envision every single time at address.  The best iron head shape, sole, leading edge, topline, etc. I’ve ever enjoyed.  And oh my the sound and feel at impact…be sure to demo them.

Yea I have a bud who has the 23’ blades and I hit his 7-iron yesterday. And it felt pure!!!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, golfnerd91 said:

yeah it’s tough to say how we all got chosen but I’m very thankful to be part of the group and provide feedback.  I’m a mixed bag player and have always just put in play what works so I’m excited to see some of these options. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Ping Oslo

2 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

yeah it’s tough to say how we all got chosen but I’m very thankful to be part of the group and provide feedback.  I’m a mixed bag player and have always just put in play what works so I’m excited to see some of these options. 

Yea seems like you all are a pretty solid group. So I'd imagine you all are going to have a ton of fun.

On 6/1/2024 at 3:53 PM, ChrisATL said:

For the testers - what product are you most interested to try out? 

The MBs for sure, I’d love to hit the 2 iron though probably no chance I’d bag it. But the rest look great to me.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

6 hours ago, Olson12 said:

2006 grad here. 

2004 here.