2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger (Bayhill Spoiler) Merged

whartonry

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think Woody was being honest , he was just counting howmany in a row Tiger has one different than the media does.

The question lurks if you are going to compare this streak to Lord Byrons what are the rules.

I for one have no idea what would be fair but I think Woody was just giving and honest opinion and not trying to stir up a thing.

On a side note playing with Tiger or not Bart Bryant has shown when he is on his game he is not intimidated by Tiger as badly as so many others .

This guy was trying to get in Doral and the Masters and still shot 67 give him lots of credit he deserves it. Dirt Jr manned up .

Tiger is simply Tiger the best the game has seen in a long time if not forever, I am amazed at his motivation and how hard he works. He is the man no doubt about it. I could name a dozen or so players I wish could grow a pair but it just does not happen.

Woody is a jerk. It may be his honest opinion, but no professional would say that about another professional. I go back to Rocco Meditate's comment a year ago: (Paraphrasing) If you want to challenge him, play better, then the rest will take care of itself. When you must play 15 events a year to keep your card, that's all you're ever obligated to play. Don't give Tiger any more ammunition to beat the hell out of you with.

I give Dr. Dirt's little bro all the credit in the world. A 67 on most days on a Sunday will get you a big check and a hunk of glass trophy. He gave Tiger a push and made him make a shot, that personally didn't think he was going to make. I hadn't jumped that high in a long time.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

On a side note besides Phil at last years Deutsch Bank, who has actually played well with Tiger in the last group? Do you honestly think Zach Johnson would of won the Masters if he was in the same group as Tiger?

Harrington.

Numbers don't lie though, people who play WITH Tiger in a final round tend to have a higher scorer average. I just think it was easier for him to play better a few groups ahead of Tiger.

Media simply puts it how it is, Tiger has won 5 in a row. Why would anyone need to read more into it? Who cares if it is not back to back tournaments. Does anyone discount Byron Nelson because the talent he played against wasn't even close to what Tiger faces?

yeah Bryon only had to play against the likes of Sam Snead and Ben Hogan yep no talent there at all , and dont tell me they were not in these tournaments they both played in several of the ones Byron won. There were plenty of other great players as well.

Also some of the media are claiming this as seven in a row by Tiger which I understand to be technically right.

I think Tiger is incredible but I wish he had to play against the amount of talent and guts that Nelson did in his era and Nicklaus did in his era.

Byrant manned up yesterday I for one am proud of him I wish more of Tigers competitors would it could be a lot more interesting.

I just think Woody was being honest , he was just counting howmany in a row Tiger has one different than the media does.

The question lurks if you are going to compare this streak to Lord Byrons what are the rules.

I for one have no idea what would be fair but I think Woody was just giving and honest opinion and not trying to stir up a thing.

On a side note playing with Tiger or not Bart Bryant has shown when he is on his game he is not intimidated by Tiger as badly as so many others .

This guy was trying to get in Doral and the Masters and still shot 67 give him lots of credit he deserves it. Dirt Jr manned up .

Tiger is simply Tiger the best the game has seen in a long time if not forever, I am amazed at his motivation and how hard he works. He is the man no doubt about it. I could name a dozen or so players I wish could grow a pair but it just does not happen.

Woody is a jerk. It may be his honest opinion, but no professional would say that about another professional. I go back to Rocco Meditate's comment a year ago: (Paraphrasing) If you want to challenge him, play better, then the rest will take care of itself. When you must play 15 events a year to keep your card, that's all you're ever obligated to play. Don't give Tiger any more ammunition to beat the hell out of you with.

I give Dr. Dirt's little bro all the credit in the world. A 67 on most days on a Sunday will get you a big check and a hunk of glass trophy. He gave Tiger a push and made him make a shot, that personally didn't think he was going to make. I hadn't jumped that high in a long time.

Exactly what about what Woody said makes him a jerk. He said nothing about Tiger he only questioned how many of Tigers wins should count in the streak .

Please explain what he said that pissed you off so much maybe I missed something.

I give Dr. Dirt's little bro all the credit in the world. A 67 on most days on a Sunday will get you a big check and a hunk of glass trophy. He gave Tiger a push and made him make a shot, that personally I didn't think he was going to make. I hadn't jumped that high in a long time.

Exactly what about what Woody said makes him a jerk. He said nothing about Tiger he only questioned how many of Tigers wins should count in the streak .

Please explain what he said that pissed you off so much maybe I missed something.

To me in competition, you're out there to beat your opponent. I don't have a problem with that. There is always someone out there willing to pee on your Wheaties. The "Tiger Slam" wasn't real, even though he held all four major trophies at once. His current streak isn't a real streak because he doesn't play as much as I do. To me, that's sour grapes and unprofessional. Acknowledge the feat, go out and work hard and play better. Tiger did his part in making him a rich man too. Until last year no one remembered Woody Austin except for smashing a putter on his head until he worked his butt off and won a couple times and improved his play. Did anyone on tour call him a hack journeyman? No. They gave him his due and he made the President's Cup team. But to, in my view, call out anyone on tour like that is just plain poor.

If Woody reeled off 5 in a row, would that be a real streak? I say, yes. Of course. If he took a couple weeks off then played and won a couple times, I'm sure he'd call that a streak too regardless of the number of times he teed it up.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

I think Woody was just saying they were not consecutive starts on the tour. I honestly dont think he was ragging on Tiger just pointing out a fact.

Anyway we both agree what Tiger is doing is amazing, If anyone you knew made a twenty four foot putt downhill with four foot of break You would and I would scream lucky with Tiger we simply no better.

tigers streak should deffinately be viewed as 7 in a row currently. people say 5 but dubai should count, the field was just as solid as any PGA event, and the "unofficial" PGA tour win in the target world challenge thing or whatever its called also had a good enough field to be counted. besides, byron has a fourball tournament counted in his 11 in a row streak.

I think Woody was just saying they were not consecutive starts on the tour. I honestly dont think he was ragging on Tiger just pointing out a fact.

Anyway we both agree what Tiger is doing is amazing, If anyone you knew made a twenty four foot putt downhill with four foot of break You would and I would scream lucky with Tiger we simply no better.

True enough!

tigers streak should deffinately be viewed as 7 in a row currently. people say 5 but dubai should count, the field was just as solid as any PGA event, and the "unofficial" PGA tour win in the target world challenge thing or whatever its called also had a good enough field to be counted. besides, byron has a fourball tournament counted in his 11 in a row streak.

I believe at the time the fourball was a PGA tour event.

If Tiger wants to tie or pass Byron in my mind he has eight to go this season to tie. Byron did it all in the same season.

But even if you count it as seven I dont believe he will win four in a row more. But if he does its got to have a great big *****next to that record just like his winning the four majors in different years its just not the same.

I have to admit he is making me rethink what he is capable of one more time.

What the heck Go Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't exactly stand eye to eye. He played in a different group then Tiger. I think if Bryant played with Tiger you might of seen a different outcome. Like Tiger winning by 3 or 4 instead of 1.

Can somebody....ANYBODY, please step their game up. I mean 10 people are tied or within a shot of the lead with Tiger and no one can make a move? I guess the silver lining was he didn't blow the field out and kept it close.

I think Bryant stepped it up. He stood there eye-to-eye with the best player in the world and didn't blink. He made the best player in the world prove he was exactly that.

Also, I think Vijay Singh showed a bit of why it appears that good players spit the bit when faced against Tiger. IMO, they try heroic shots that they would not try if they didn't have Tiger prowling. Singh said that he tried a line that was too aggressive after his miss in the water on Saturday. Would he have done that without Tiger being in the field? IMO, probably not. And I believe you can account for a lot of the misses in the water on 16 from the players knowing that Tiger would get his shot on 16 within birdie range. (Which, the way he's putting, is anywhere on the green plus the fringe!)

Glad to be alive to see him play.

My issue is really the idea that the Feild let Tiget back into the tourney. VJ is standing on the 4th tee box on Saturday at -9. All he needs to do (and what Tiger would do) is post 2 rounds under par and it's game over. Instead the top guys through 2 rounds all falter a little and bingo, Tiger is back in the lead.

I think Bryant played great and did at least push Tiger. Tiger played a great round at -4. My issues is just that week in and week out, the feild seems to let Tiger back into event and you can't do that if you want to win.

I just want someone to slam the door when they have the event won, Els couldn't do it in Dubai, VJ didn't do it this week. If you end up dueling with Tiger during the last rounds and you loose....fine, he's the best. But make him work for it.

He didn't exactly stand eye to eye. He played in a different group then Tiger. I think if Bryant played with Tiger you might of seen a different outcome. Like Tiger winning by 3 or 4 instead of 1.

Can somebody....ANYBODY, please step their game up. I mean 10 people are tied or within a shot of the lead with Tiger and no one can make a move? I guess the silver lining was he didn't blow the field out and kept it close.

I think Bryant stepped it up. He stood there eye-to-eye with the best player in the world and didn't blink. He made the best player in the world prove he was exactly that.

Also, I think Vijay Singh showed a bit of why it appears that good players spit the bit when faced against Tiger. IMO, they try heroic shots that they would not try if they didn't have Tiger prowling. Singh said that he tried a line that was too aggressive after his miss in the water on Saturday. Would he have done that without Tiger being in the field? IMO, probably not. And I believe you can account for a lot of the misses in the water on 16 from the players knowing that Tiger would get his shot on 16 within birdie range. (Which, the way he's putting, is anywhere on the green plus the fringe!)

My issue is really the idea that the Feild let Tiget back into the tourney. VJ is standing on the 4th tee box on Saturday at -9. All he needs to do (and what Tiger would do) is post 2 rounds under par and it's game over. Instead the top guys through 2 rounds all falter a little and bingo, Tiger is back in the lead.

I think Bryant played great and did at least push Tiger. Tiger played a great round at -4. My issues is just that week in and week out, the feild seems to let Tiger back into event and you can't do that if you want to win.

I just want someone to slam the door when they have the event won, Els couldn't do it in Dubai, VJ didn't do it this week. If you end up dueling with Tiger during the last rounds and you loose....fine, he's the best. But make him work for it.

Thats why a PGA event is 72 holes and not 39...the more holes they play, the better golfers will rise to the top...anyone can get streaky for a day or two, but to reveal the best golfer on a course takes more than 2 rounds...as far as im concerned tiger let the rest of the guys into the tournament by playing like cr*p the first 2 rounds and still managed to be -2 going into the weekend. You just have to remember that there is a reason why golf tournaments are longer than just a round or two: becasue over time the more holes they play, the best and most deserving players end up at the top of the leaderboard...not just the guy who played lights out (2 chip ins on friday) on thursday and friday when there wasnt any pressure...

oh, and in my opinion tiger has already won the grand slam...having all 4 major trophys on your mantle at the same time is a grand slam, i dont care about the calendar year BS

Bryant MANNED UP from a different group in front of Tiger.

Sorry let me rephrase what I said, Tiger plays against a DEEPER talent pool then what Nelson faced and even Jack too.

Numbers don't lie though, people who play WITH Tiger in a final round tend to have a higher scorer average. I just think it was easier for him to play better a few groups ahead of Tiger.

Media simply puts it how it is, Tiger has won 5 in a row. Why would anyone need to read more into it? Who cares if it is not back to back tournaments. Does anyone discount Byron Nelson because the talent he played against wasn't even close to what Tiger faces?

yeah Bryon only had to play against the likes of Sam Snead and Ben Hogan yep no talent there at all , and dont tell me they were not in these tournaments they both played in several of the ones Byron won. There were plenty of other great players as well.

Also some of the media are claiming this as seven in a row by Tiger which I understand to be technically right.

I think Tiger is incredible but I wish he had to play against the amount of talent and guts that Nelson did in his era and Nicklaus did in his era.

Byrant manned up yesterday I for one am proud of him I wish more of Tigers competitors would it could be a lot more interesting.

How do you say that Tiger doesn't play against the talent and guts that Nelson and Jack did? Have you seen today's golfer compared to yesteryears?

well I have been watching the game for 44 years if that counts.

Its not the talent of todays players I question its the heart and guts . Maybe they just make to much money.

I am just saying this era does not offer as much competition between its stars as Jacks and Byrons did.

Arnie Jack Lee Gary Tom Billy

Byron Sam Ben

Tiger and ??????????????????????

Thats why a PGA event is 72 holes and not 39...the more holes they play, the better golfers will rise to the top...anyone can get streaky for a day or two, but to reveal the best golfer on a course takes more than 2 rounds...as far as im concerned tiger let the rest of the guys into the tournament by playing like cr*p the first 2 rounds and still managed to be -2 going into the weekend. You just have to remember that there is a reason why golf tournaments are longer than just a round or two: becasue over time the more holes they play, the best and most deserving players end up at the top of the leaderboard...not just the guy who played lights out (2 chip ins on friday) on thursday and friday when there wasnt any pressure...

oh, and in my opinion tiger has already won the grand slam...having all 4 major trophys on your mantle at the same time is a grand slam, i dont care about the calendar year BS

That "Anyone" was VJ, not some Hooters tour guy who monday qualified.

Back in Jacks' day were there maybe 15-20 players that could come close to beating him on any given day? Tiger goes up against hugely talented US and international fields with 60-70 players that can beat him on any given day....just not on Sunday.

Also all the talk about nobody stepping up the plate doesnt make much sense. Are we forgetting just how freakin' good the top 20 or 30 players really are? These are not high school basketball players who need a pep talk..lol. They play their arses off. Look at all the low numbers on Sunday. Tiger is just a notch better...a notch better week after week.

Personally, I think Tiger is better than we think.

Byron Sam Ben

it's so silly to compare eras..how do you even prove that Tiger is so much better than his competition compared to the above guys? Or disprove that the tour would be just like the Arnie, Lee, Gary, Billy era if Tiger wasn't on tour..? it's funny that there are two conclusions..and depending on how you feel about Tiger..you might choose what you think is right, hypothetics are just that..

That "Anyone" was VJ, not some Hooters tour guy who monday qualified.

yea, but vijay is still the guy who shot lights out early and couldnt handle the weekend pressure of putting the tournament away...tiger was better this week and it showed at the end...thats all im saying. just becasue VJ shoots 66-65 on thurs and fri doesnt mean that hes automatically going to keep that pace up...he was playing pretty good and getting very lucky...he just couldnt keep that up and that is why tiger is better

Tiger and ummmmmmmm I don't know, Mickelson, Els, Singh, (multiple major winners) plus a group of younger guys of which you can't ignore simply because their careers aren't even close to being over such as, Garcia, Scott, Baddeley, Choi

I think the 44 years of you watching golf has jaded how you see today's players. Tiger is just so much better the guys playing in his era will never get the respect they deserve.

well I have been watching the game for 44 years if that counts.

Its not the talent of todays players I question its the heart and guts . Maybe they just make to much money.

I am just saying this era does not offer as much competition between its stars as Jacks and Byrons did.

Byron Sam Ben

For all the guys you mentioned -- champions, every one of them -- there were a lot of Wayne Levi types in the field, just as there are today.

For those of you who haven't heard of Wayne Levi, he was a player some years back (in the days when the Tour was described as a bunch of guys in a visor) who was interviewed by Golf Digest in their October 1982 issue ("Heaven Can Wait for Wayne Levi"). He said in the interview that he didn't care about wins at all, just about his position on the money list. To me, he's the poster boy for the spoiled PGA Tour player. He now gets his Word not allowed handed to him on the Champions Tour. Despite 12 Tour wins, he's no champion of anything but the money list to me.