2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Playing injured or under the weather

I'm starting this thread to discuss golfers playing despite being injured or sick.

I'm in my 50s and I've already played injured as well as sick at least 3 separate times in the past.

On one occassion, I was able to drag myself and play 9 holes despite feeling extremely nauseous due to indigestion from dinner the night before.

I was able to hold it in until I was able to complete nine holes and promptly barfed in the parking lot as I was packing up.

Despite the incident, I was still thankful to avoid the embarrasment of puking on the golf course and in front of 3 elderly ladies in my flight I was randomly paired with.

Most recently, I played injured for the past two consecutive weeks.

The first week, I had a stiff neck the day before my league tournament 2 hours away at RiverWinds GTC and to make matters worse, I had back spasms on the range on the day of the competition.

Despite my predicament, I was still able to finish a respectable tied for 3rd place so I was thankful that I was able to play decently without causing any further injuries to myself.

The next Saturday of the following week, I had another recurring stiff neck injury the day before I was set to play a regular 18 hole round at my home course but this time, it impacted my drives, causing me to block and slice my drives.

I was able to correct my drives on the back nine but I finished with a 94, 5 strokes over my handicap.

Nevertheless, I played decently except for a 9 on the Par 5, hole # 12 where I had to take 4 shots to extricate myself out of the front center pot bunker. 

Anyway, let me point out that this is not something I will encourage other golfer to do but nonetheless, I'm sharing this to find out from my fellow WRers if they'd like to share similar experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Had one of my best rounds recently after a night of "sampling" single malt scotch.  I believe I was probably still legally intoxicated when I teed off.  With zero expectations and no swing thoughts other than just trying to hit the damn ball, it made for a very stress-free round.  So much of golf is psychological, I think your frame of mind can be a lot more important than your actual physical condition.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 596 said:

When you are 69 years old you play injured a lot!! 

Exactly. The few days I don’t have an “injury”, the swing is unfamiliar! 

19 minutes ago, dashanks said:

Had one of my best rounds recently after a night of "sampling" single malt scotch.

Reminds me of a since passed good friend….many years ago on a trip,  8 of us, he had a similar experience, I think it was Rum though.  “fell asleep” on the kitchen floor , woke up with the vinyl floor imprint on his face.  
Teeing off at 8am, he shot 72, net 66. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dashanks said:

Had one of my best rounds recently after a night of "sampling" single malt scotch.  I believe I was probably still legally intoxicated when I teed off.  With zero expectations and no swing thoughts other than just trying to hit the damn ball, it made for a very stress-free round.  So much of golf is psychological, I think your frame of mind can be a lot more important than your actual physical condition.

I have had some similar experiences. Dealing with some sort of ailment seems to distract you from the results and lower your expectations which often gets you into a better state of mind to play well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple back fractures and arthritis in my shoulder, so I guess you can say I play injured all the time.  About a month ago I tore a tendon in my ankle and played 2 1/2 rounds before I had to shut it down completely.  Hopefully I can get back in the next week or 2.

• Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke Mini Driver 10.5*

Driver 2 - Taylormade Mini Driver 13.5*

5W - Cobra LTDx

4i - Honma TR20 V w/ Modus 105R

5i - GW - PXG 0211 ST w Steelfiber 95R

52* - Nakashima Black Ninja

58* - Cleveland RTX6

Putter - Odyssey Versa One

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Went and had sea food and raw oysters for my birthday in San Antonio and little to no alcohol was consumed. 

Woke up feeling weird, teed off at La Cantera around 10 am. 

It was starting to heat up and I was beginning to feel really bad. 

By the back I was throwing up every other hole but we finished and I won't go into any more details but the next 24 hours was miserable.

Turns out if you get a bad raw oyster it will try and kill you.

Edited by golfwb
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood HC Evenflow Black 85X
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

4 hours ago, dashanks said:

I've probably played just as many of those morning rounds as I have sober morning rounds, and I've played a LOOOOOOOOOT of morning rounds, lol. 

A friend and I went to Austin (TX) and saw Cheech and Chong do their act live many many moons ago. Between the 2 of us, I think we spent close to $1000 on liquor at various bars/restaurants that day. I know I personally spent over $400. We had an 8:00am tee time the next morning about 30 very hilly miles from the hotel. When I woke up at 6:00 to shower and go get breakfast, he was sitting Indian style on the floor passed out. He made me drive us to the course in his truck, and he threatened to sleep in the parking lot while I played. I drug him out on the course and he eventually came around. Several years later, he had his revenge when I was the one hurting. It was pushing 100 degrees, and the first ball I pegged on the driving range, I almost threw up from the dizziness. Both rounds were eventually enjoyable, lol. 

Having had 2 back surgeries for herniated discs, and still having 2 herniated discs in my lower back, coupled with not much cartilage in my knees, if I waited until I was not "injured" to play golf, I'd have to sell my clubs. I couldn't tell you the last time I went 5 minutes without pain somewhere, let alone an entire day. Add in a violent motion like swinging a golf club, and it just isn't something I expect to ever experience again. And I'm only 43, lol. 

Edited by bigred90gt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The scariest situation I've played in not too long ago was having issues in the morning of my tourney round at Bethpage Green and I've already had at least 4 #2s at home.

Thankfully, my body settled down and I avoided having to go do a #2 on the course which would not have been ideal to say the least. 

Anyway, I think I didn't do too bad, shooting an 88 (-1 in relation to my handicap) and placed 6th out of 24 in my division with one CTP worth $92.

Edited by Golfbit2X

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Because of my high-pain tolerance, I've played many sports, including golf, injured.  However, if playing can cause further injury, I won't play, nor will I play if I am under the weather.  

For the last 15+years I've suffering from osteoarthritis, especially in the knees and wrists, and chose not to take painkillers.  Some days it's more debilitating than others, that's when Voltaren is used; and maybe a brace, and still play moderately well.  I just back off trying to hit the ball hard.

Edited by Pepperturbo
edit for accuracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Because of my high-pain tolerance, I've played many sports, including golf, injured.  However, if playing can cause further injury, I won't play, nor will I play if I am under the weather.  

For the last 15+years I've suffering from osteoarthritis, especially in the knees and wrists, and chose not to take painkillers.  Some days it's more debilitating than other days, yet I still play using a brace, and still play moderately well.  I just back off trying to hit the ball hard.

What have you done regarding grips and shafts to help with your arthritis? I have a bit in my hands, and graphite shafts have helped. I don’t have any pain when I play, just a bit of stiffness later.

8 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

What have you done regarding grips and shafts to help with your arthritis? I have a bit in my hands, and graphite shafts have helped. I don’t have any pain when I play, just a bit of stiffness later.

Wish I could help, but actually, nothing.  Six years back I switched from PX 6.0 to composite shafts to lessen wear on my body, but my grips have been the same standard MCC Plus4 Align +2 since they were introduced. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

Posted (edited)

I've had some issues in the past with my fingers locking up after a round so I've changed my grips to Golf Pride's CPX last year.

Screenshot_20240611_163249_Gallery.jpg.6941457e3463cdc743486f6a84e4acea.jpg

I think that it has helped a little bit with it's soft but aggressive and unconventional diamond quilted pattern grip.

Edited by Golfbit2X

I've played rounds with numerous injuries over the years.  Stiff neck, sprained ankle, tweaked hip, strained tricep, etc.  As long as the injuries are mild, I can usually play through it.  KT tape works wonders, folks.  I've also played rounds with a knee sleeve on after the ortho cleared me after I recovered from an ACL and MCL sprain.  Obviously had to take it easy the first couple weeks.  I've tried playing after throwing out my back when I was younger which was a very stupid move on my part.  Learned a hard lesson that day.  Haven't done it since. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

57.  Had a bulging disc flare-up on the day of my youngest daughter's wedding in April this year.  Could not stand up with both feet on the ground.  Could only stand one legged.  Crazy.  And I had to officiate her wedding.  Had what felt like fire and electric shocks running down both IT bands on both legs.  Complete loss of leg muscle strength and I have football lineman's legs.

Had a golf trip to Hilton Head four days later.  Hobbled around HHI for 5 rounds in 5 days.  Luckily none of the rounds were walking.  I think I fell down three times after swinging.  Actually played really well for not being able to stand up. 

Put the clubs up until this last week.  MRI showed no major issues.  PT and stretching seems to be working.  Played Monday and was pain free.  I can still tell that I'm not 100% but the pain is gone.  Have 5 days in Bandon coming up in 10 weeks.  7 rounds + Preserve + Shorty's.  Working on getting back to 100% between now and then.  

Now I understand back pain... It sucks.

• Thanks 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

At my age, plus 70, a lot depends upon the type of injury. If it is my back, there is no sense getting out there as not only will I not be able to swing properly but I can also damage it more than what it is. I have played with other "injuries" such as pulled muscles or ankle sprains as all that encompasses is wrapping the area and taking some tylenol.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Ping G425 SFT 3W

Ping G410 3H 4H

Ping G425 Irons 5-LW

Putter 2024 Ping Anser 2 

Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Titleist 14 Way Hybrid Golf Bag