2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Which used irons came stock with excellent shafts???

CoachRich

Just took a lark on a set of SpeedBlade irons.  Got them for about $75.

Don't foresee good things coming with the 80ish gram stock shafts. 

(plan to ditch my 659cb Sub70 clubs that I find ok, but don't love).

So - to the topic of shafts ....... and this popped into my head thinking of getting replacement shafts to pay for themselves ... I could simply buy an old set of irons, steal the shafts, then replace with mix of two shafts I have already ( ZZlite and TourStep out of Eye2s and 845s ).  Essentially allowing me to recoup most of my expense when resold.   Shaft pulls seem to cost about what I'd spend on a set of old low demand irons, but irons that may have come with decent shafts.

OPTION 1

What older irons 80s, 90s or even more recent would be likely to have a solid shaft  (105-120g stiff) that I could buy for cheap($100 or so) and just steal the shafts and dump them into the SpeedBlade heads????     

Shafts I am quite certain would work out good enough ......  Any Rifle at 6.0 or 5.5, TT S300 S or R300 (prefer Dynamic but have used XP and they weren't the worst) after I cut them. Ping JZ or ZZlite/ZZ65.  KBS from era I'm likely targeting just weren't good for me in a past set so leery of them.

Not sure how the .370/.355 shakes out among all of this.  But isn't this what shims or beads are for???  Speedblade is .370 I believe.

OPTION 2

I have ProModus 105 S in the Sub70s, and I guess I could take those out but I intend to sell them ..... maybe the loss from selling heads alone is far less than cost of shaft pulls or new irons. ?  ?  

OPTIONS 3

If you are still here ..... maybe a third option mixing two shafts that have been ok for me in the past might work.  

TourStep from 845s into the long irons and ZZ-lites into the short irons.  IF they are not club specific and I can just cut the tip all the same (no club building expert as if that is still in question here 🥸

Edited by CoachRich

3 hours ago, CoachRich said:

What older irons 80s, 90s or even more recent would be likely to have a solid shaft  (105-120g stiff) that I could buy for cheap($100 or so) and just steal the shafts and dump them into the SpeedBlade heads????    

https://www.golfworks.com/oem-golf-shaft-replacement-guides/

44 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Thanks for the reply but maybe in my attempt to explain my goal I mucked it up. 

That link just directs me to similar shafts to the one I would like to get away from. 

Unless I misused it somehow. 

Thanks anyway 

Edited by CoachRich
sp

2 hours ago, CoachRich said:

That link just directs me to similar shafts to the one I would like to get away from.

No.  It actually a comprehensive list of the stock shaft (including weight) released with every iron model for each OEM. 

Don't use it to look up the irons you have,  use it to search for which models were released with a stock shaft that matches what you're looking for to replace the ones you have.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

No.  It actually a comprehensive list of the stock shaft (including weight) released with every iron model for each OEM. 

Don't use it to look up the irons you have,  use it to search for which models were released with a stock shaft that matches what you're looking for to replace the ones you have.

This^^

Side note I use this list frequently as one of the only ones at my club that can fix broken clubs.  My buddies play a wide variety of irons so referring to this list gives me the best chance of finding a “close or close enough” replacement for them when they break a shaft! 

• Like 1

Most Mizunos back in the day came with S300, in particular the MP32, one of the finest club heads ever 

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Just buy a used set of shafts on Ebay.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2010 Titleist AP1 came with the NS Pro 105T irons, which are made by Nippon.  I played them in stiff in the 2010 AP1's, and then had them sourced in R for 2012 AP1's.  i played the 2012 AP1 irons for 10 years;  the shafts were the best I ever played, but I finally ran out of swing speed for them.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Appreciate the clarification, thought I was seeing that wrong somehow.

Fortunately I realized I have access to a cache of old irons sets that have been donated to a team I work with, but are useless relative to modern or semi-modern iron heads.  So - guess I could just pull from a set of those.

Maybe give me a chance to move past just regripping and cutting length at the butt.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gdb99 said:

I would just a used set of irons that come with a shaft I like. 

You seem to be making this over complicated, and it doesn’t sound like you have the club building skills yet. 

Keep it simple. 

My style is to way over complicate it.  But I would actually like to do the swapping/reshafting/pulling.  Seems the next logical step given the way I like to acquire clubs.  Most years I run at even cost for clubs.  Even if I account for a set or two of new grips here and there.

Not for everyone - but given my golf is headed off a cliff (not club related), guess it makes me feel I am at least doing "something".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JD3 said:

Most Mizunos back in the day came with S300, in particular the MP32, one of the finest club heads ever 

Yeah after looking through the list and ebay this set among other Mizunos showed up many times.  Often for less than buying shaft pulls.  Seems the process of buying a set with shafts I want to use, pulling those and replacing them with something else..... would give me at least a little practice before reshafting the S300 into the heads I want to actually use.  

Edited by CoachRich

36 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Just buy a used set of shafts on Ebay.

Yeah, that makes all the sense in the world except to me.

There wouldn't be the avenue to save.  It would take a bargain and just raise the price.

I want the set to have something to sell and sets I would target are generally less than the shafts alone.  I really do like telling my wife that all my club swapping always pays for itself in the end.  And so far it almost always does.  The time portion is not something I calculate due to hobby or choice.  Leaving me and my golf only the expense of balls and playing fees.   Given I don't make any money from playing these days - it all makes sense to me, even if others choose a different route.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gvogel said:

2010 Titleist AP1 came with the NS Pro 105T irons, which are made by Nippon.  I played them in stiff in the 2010 AP1's, and then had them sourced in R for 2012 AP1's.  i played the 2012 AP1 irons for 10 years;  the shafts were the best I ever played, but I finally ran out of swing speed for them.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

And AP1 heads are likely

1) worth something on resale head alone or with almost any shaft in them. 

2) A decent fallback for everyday set. 

I always believe that if I can't shoot 75 with something like an AP1, Ping Eye2, 845s, Speedblade, etc........ then it won't happen with the latest greatest either.   If those or any clubs could do it in 1999, 2010, 2015, then they could also do it now.  Probably easier now given the ball advancements, distance devices, etc.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CoachRich said:

Thanks for the suggestion. 

And AP1 heads are likely

1) worth something on resale head alone or with almost any shaft in them. 

2) A decent fallback for everyday set. 

I always believe that if I can't shoot 75 with something like an AP1, Ping Eye2, 845s, Speedblade, etc........ then it won't happen with the latest greatest either.   If those or any clubs could do it in 1999, 2010, 2015, then they could also do it now.  Probably easier now given the ball advancements, distance devices, etc.   

If you're really trying to save some money, you can get the Titleist 775.CB with the 105t also. I have a set and played some pretty good golf with them.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RobS14526 said:

If you're really trying to save some money, you can get the Titleist 775.CB with the 105t also. I have a set and played some pretty good golf with them.

thanks for that heads up. 

I'm assuming this is akin to the 1150 or more a precursor to the pro modus 105 thus the similar numbers??

If someone knows where this exact shaft falls.  Modus I do well with, 1150 GH not for me at all.

44 minutes ago, CoachRich said:

I'm assuming this is akin to the 1150 or more a precursor to the pro modus 105 thus the similar numbers??

If someone knows where this exact shaft falls.  Modus I do well with, 1150 GH not for me at all.

Well, it's similar to the 1050gh which is different from the 1150 but I would stay away if you didn't like the 1150.

1 hour ago, CoachRich said:

The 105T is a different shaft.  It is softer in the tip than 1150 or Modus, providing higher launch (closer step pattern).  It is a good shaft for many.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 hours ago, gvogel said:

The 105T is a different shaft.  It is softer in the tip than 1150 or Modus, providing higher launch (closer step pattern).  It is a good shaft for many.

I believe you but I am a insanely impatient swinger of the club (probably the word swing is a misnomer here) my fear is softer could be a can of worms ....

5 hours ago, RobS14526 said:

Well, it's similar to the 1050gh which is different from the 1150 but I would stay away if you didn't like the 1150.

yeah ... as mentioned above - it was not a good match.  I can tell it is a very good shaft as it feels so good when I was just flowing it back for forth, but when I went to hit shots, I almost never could get in sync with what it rewarded. I'm so impatient, so I do well with shafts that are always right there no matter what you do to them.