Mini Driver - 3w replacement crew

LeicaRedDot

Hi all,

For those of you using the mini driver as a 3 wood replacement, how are you using it? What loft, specs and what clubs do you have gapping each side?

For context, I bought last years BRNR mini driver as a driver replacement, with some good success but after some good lessons and better technique my 10.5 driver is back in the bag. My 3 wood is my worst club, lots of snap hooks so thinking to replace my 3w with my 11.5 mini driver cranked up to 13.5. Does anyone do this?

cheers 

28 minutes ago, R.Patrick said:

I have done this.  Dr - Mini - 5W seems to work pretty well.  I only use the mini off the tee when driver is too much and 5W is about 240 carry off the deck so it works out for any par 5’s that I play.

Probably going to put the same shaft I have in my driver into the mini but 10g heavier.

What lofts are you playing your woods?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeicaRedDot said:

Hi all,

For those of you using the mini driver as a 3 wood replacement, how are you using it? What loft, specs and what clubs do you have gapping each side?

For context, I bought last years BRNR mini driver as a driver replacement, with some good success but after some good lessons and better technique my 10.5 driver is back in the bag. My 3 wood is my worst club, lots of snap hooks so thinking to replace my 3w with my 11.5 mini driver cranked up to 13.5. Does anyone do this?

cheers 

Top end of my bag is Driver, Mini Driver, 5 wood, 19* UW. My setup is dependent on the course or the tees that I am playing.

For courses that are less than 7K yards or I am not going to be playing par 4s greater than 430ish yards or so, the Driver stays out of the bag. So I go Mini, 5 wood, 19* UW. This my setup 90% of the time. The Mini and the UW are my favorite tee clubs and I have a ton of confidence in both.

If there are quite a few par 4s over 430ish than the driver goes in. Setup is Driver, Mini, and either the 5 wood or 19* UW. Most often the UW stays in as I hit it much better off of the fairwood than the 5 wood. But I still end up hitting the Mini off of the tee most often than not.

Driver: I play 2 (just depends on what I am feeling). 

1. TM OG Sim 10.5* down 2 clicks so it plays roughly 9*. Weight on bottom on the toe. Shaft is a Tensei 1k Blue 70TX playing 45". 270-280 carry. 

2. Mizuno ST-G 220 9* at standard loft. Both weights forward. Shaft is a Tensei AV Raw White 60TX playing 45". 270-280 carry.

Mini Driver: TM Original One 11.5* plying one click up at 12.25*. Shaft is a Tensei 1K Blue 70TX playing 43.75". 250-260 carry. When I am swinging well, this thing can get stupid long....like 290-300 total. It doesn't make sense to me. 

5 Wood: Cobra LTDx LS 17.5* playing one click down at 16.6*. Shaft is a UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X playing 42.25". 230-240 carry. 

Utility Wood: Callaway UW 19* with a UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 9X playing 40.5". 220-230 carry.

• Like 2

I have 9º driver at 45.5" G430 Max 10k, 12º SLDR Mini at 43.25", and then 5 wood is either a 17.5º LTDx LS at 41.5" or 18.5º LTDx 5 wood at 42" (I'm still messing with these).  The SLDR is usually only 20 yards shorter than my driver, but I can hit a lot more shots with it.  The Ping is really a dead straight driver.  The SLDR is much easier to flight and work different directions.

I've got the 11.5* Ai Smoke mini driver. The mini is about 10 yards shorter than my driver, but it hits the fairway way more often.

I've currently gaming:

Driver TS3 9* 

Mini driver 11.5*

Apex UW 21* 

The Ai Smoke Mini is easy to hit off the fairway. I'm considering turning the loft down to 10.5*

I'm also condidering going with a 16* or 17* 4 wood and taking out the driver. I have a big gap between mini driver and UW 21*

6 hours ago, Ben B said:

Top end of my bag is Driver, Mini Driver, 5 wood, 19* UW. My setup is dependent on the course or the tees that I am playing.

For courses that are less than 7K yards or I am not going to be playing par 4s greater than 430ish yards or so, the Driver stays out of the bag. So I go Mini, 5 wood, 19* UW. This my setup 90% of the time. The Mini and the UW are my favorite tee clubs and I have a ton of confidence in both.

If there are quite a few par 4s over 430ish than the driver goes in. Setup is Driver, Mini, and either the 5 wood or 19* UW. Most often the UW stays in as I hit it much better off of the fairwood than the 5 wood. But I still end up hitting the Mini off of the tee most often than not.

Driver: I play 2 (just depends on what I am feeling). 

1. TM OG Sim 10.5* down 2 clicks so it plays roughly 9*. Weight on bottom on the toe. Shaft is a Tensei 1k Blue 70TX playing 45". 270-280 carry. 

2. Mizuno ST-G 220 9* at standard loft. Both weights forward. Shaft is a Tensei AV Raw White 60TX playing 45". 270-280 carry.

Mini Driver: TM Original One 11.5* plying one click up at 12.25*. Shaft is a Tensei 1K Blue 70TX playing 43.75". 250-260 carry. When I am swinging well, this thing can get stupid long....like 290-300 total. It doesn't make sense to me. 

5 Wood: Cobra LTDx LS 17.5* playing one click down at 16.6*. Shaft is a UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X playing 42.25". 230-240 carry. 

Utility Wood: Callaway UW 19* with a UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 9X playing 40.5". 220-230 carry.

That LTDx 5 wood is a fantastic club

• Like 1

This is my plan… to grab a mini driver soon to replace my 3 wood. A) if I ever hit a 3 wood into a par 5, I really dont have expectations to hit and hold… but just get it somewhere close and get up and down. The extra face, mass and forgiveness would be a huge boost and be excellent in those holes that tighten, have trouble, or dogleg right at driver length. My plan after the mini is to have a 5 wood and a driving iron and rotate accordingly to the conditions and course setup.

I would suggest the 13.5 rather than lofting up the 11.5. I am not sure what the advantage would be if 3W replacement is the primary goal and you have the ability to loft up further if it fits your gaps. My 13.5 BRNR carries around 200 off the deck and my swing speed is around 92-95 with it. I cannot launch my 11.5 BRNR as easily (obviously), but haven't attempted to loft it up either as it is my driver replacement. My 11.5 carries 220-230 off the tee with my long (no major slopes) being 260 total. I need to try lofting it back down to 9 now that I am hitting more up on the ball to see what distance is.

EDIT: sorry I now see you already own the 11.5, I am illiterate. Just give it a go and see what happens and if you can't launch try and test a 13.5 head.

Edited by DocBrown3887
  • Like 3

Drivers: Taylormade BRNR Mini 11.5 and 13.5 (2023) stock shafts (S)

5, 7 Woods: Cobra LTDx stock HZRDUS Smoke i10 (S, R)

Irons: Cobra Forged Tec OL (2022) 6-G stock KBS steel (R)

Wedges: Cobra Snakebite OL 54 and 60 stock KBS steel (S)

Putter: L A.B. Mezz 1 stock (35" steel shaft)

Balls: Snell Prime (2023)

26 minutes ago, DocBrown3887 said:

EDIT: sorry I now see you already own the 11.5, I am illiterate. Just give it a go and see what happens and if you can't launch try and test a 13.5 head.

yes, this is what I plan to do to start with. Test the BRNR cranked up to 13.5 and see what happens. In a perfect world I’d but a 13.5 mini driver, but that’s a big extra cost.

Will most likely then gap down to a 2 iron.

12 minutes ago, LeicaRedDot said:

yes, this is what I plan to do to start with. Test the BRNR cranked up to 13.5 and see what happens. In a perfect world I’d but a 13.5 mini driver, but that’s a big extra cost.

Will most likely then gap down to a 2 iron.

Fair enough, but you may find a willing trade partner swapping head lofts since your driver is back in, just another option with potentially no added cost other than shipping.

• Like 1

Drivers: Taylormade BRNR Mini 11.5 and 13.5 (2023) stock shafts (S)

5, 7 Woods: Cobra LTDx stock HZRDUS Smoke i10 (S, R)

Irons: Cobra Forged Tec OL (2022) 6-G stock KBS steel (R)

Wedges: Cobra Snakebite OL 54 and 60 stock KBS steel (S)

Putter: L A.B. Mezz 1 stock (35" steel shaft)

Balls: Snell Prime (2023)

I have the BRNR mini at 13.5 and have adjusted anything.  I use off the tee and long shots in the fairway.  I can’t hit driver to save my life, so the mini has given me confidence.  I also carry a 7W.  I may see if the 11.5 gives me a bit more off the tee.

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke Mini Driver 10.5*

Driver 2 - Taylormade Mini Driver 13.5*

5W - Cobra LTDx

4i - Honma TR20 V w/ Modus 105R

5i - GW - PXG 0211 ST w Steelfiber 95R

52* - Nakashima Black Ninja

58* - Cleveland RTX6

Putter - Odyssey Versa One

Ball - Srixon Q Star

15 hours ago, GoldenAges said:

I've got the 11.5* Ai Smoke mini driver. The mini is about 10 yards shorter than my driver, but it hits the fairway way more often.

I've currently gaming:

Driver TS3 9* 

Mini driver 11.5*

Apex UW 21* 

The Ai Smoke Mini is easy to hit off the fairway. I'm considering turning the loft down to 10.5*

I'm also condidering going with a 16* or 17* 4 wood and taking out the driver. I have a big gap between mini driver and UW 21*

I'd highly recommend getting a HL 3wood, 4 wood or 5 wood and going Mini 11.5*, fairway at 16-17*, and then the UW 21*. I'll take 10-20 yards shorter in the fairway more often all day long....which is why I usually just have the Mini in the bag. 

14 hours ago, Red4282 said:

This is my plan… to grab a mini driver soon to replace my 3 wood. A) if I ever hit a 3 wood into a par 5, I really dont have expectations to hit and hold… but just get it somewhere close and get up and down. The extra face, mass and forgiveness would be a huge boost and be excellent in those holes that tighten, have trouble, or dogleg right at driver length. My plan after the mini is to have a 5 wood and a driving iron and rotate accordingly to the conditions and course setup.

I'm thinking similar. I never hit 3 woods into long par 5's. Either its too much club or I prefer to lay up 50 yards from the green with a hybrid or 2 iron. 

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's inspired me to make the following changes to my bag to try for the next few months. Main aim is to have better choices off the tee, which is the weakest part of my game, rather than having more options for hitting par 5's in 2. 

Current setup:

• Driver 10.5*
  • 3 Wood 15*
  • 4 hybrid 22*
  • 4-PW iron starting at 24*

Future setup:

• Driver 10.5*
  • Mini Driver 11.5* adjusted up to 13.5*
  • 2 iron 17* or 3 hybrid 19* (depending on the course and conditions)

Any obvious errors in the change? 

• Like 1

I play Driver at 9* (Ping 10k Max)

300 Mini (Silver & Black versions) or Callaway Smoke.  All with 13.5 lofts, and all with the same shaft.  Jury is still out or whether the Smoke or 300 mini stays in the bag.

Next club is 5 wood, then 7 wood or ZX4 in 4 iron.

The gap from mini to 5 wood is a bit larger, but at the same time, I rarely need something between them in that distance.  If the Callaway ends up not being better from the tee than the 300 mini, then the 300 absolutely goes back in as it is much easier to hit off the deck for the once a year I need that shot.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X | Callaway Smoke Mini - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Srixon ZX4 - Ventus Axiom 105 X
  • 5 - GW - Cobra Tour - Fujikura Axiom 105x | Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  •  Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Ping Glide 4.0 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DB 

Just now, LeicaRedDot said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's inspired me to make the following changes to my bag to try for the next few months. Main aim is to have better choices off the tee, which is the weakest part of my game, rather than having more options for hitting par 5's in 2. 

Current setup:

• Driver 10.5*
  • 3 Wood 15*
  • 4 hybrid 22*

Future setup:

• Driver 10.5*
  • Mini Driver 11.5* adjusted up to 13.5*
  • 2 iron 17* or 3 hybrid 19* (depending on the course and conditions)

Any obvious errors in the change? 

If you are fighting snap hooks with your current 3 wood, then closing a 11.5 mini basically two degrees to get to 13.5 might not be the best solution.  The 300 mini's and BRNR minis look more closed to start than the Callaway smoke mini, and then closing it further?  That idea sounds not great on the limited knowledge you have given us.

Maybe the 13.5  and leave it standard?

• Like 1
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X | Callaway Smoke Mini - Ventus Purple X
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Srixon ZX4 - Ventus Axiom 105 X
  •  Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Ping Glide 4.0 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DB 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

If you are fighting snap hooks with your current 3 wood, then closing a 11.5 mini basically two degrees to get to 13.5 might not be the best solution.  The 300 mini's and BRNR minis look more closed to start than the Callaway smoke mini, and then closing it further?  That idea sounds not great on the limited knowledge you have given us.

Maybe the 13.5  and leave it standard?

The whole loft adjustment sleeve confuses the hell out of me.

When changing from 11.5 to 13.5 on the adjustment sleeve, the club appears to sit more open on the ground, not more closed.

EDIT: I just went into the garage and changed the loft sleeve. It clearly closes the club face when adding loft. So for me, dialling the 11.5 up to 13.5 will be a disaster. I can't play with clubs that sit closed at address.

I do suspect that having the standard 13.5 set to 13.5 would be the better choice, but I already have the 11.5* versions so trying to avoid buying another expensive club.

Edited by LeicaRedDot

31 minutes ago, LeicaRedDot said:

The whole loft adjustment sleeve confuses the hell out of me.

When changing from 11.5 to 13.5 on the adjustment sleeve, the club appears to sit more open on the ground, not more closed.

EDIT: I just went into the garage and changed the loft sleeve. It clearly closes the club face when adding loft. So for me, dialling the 11.5 up to 13.5 will be a disaster. I can't play with clubs that sit closed at address.

I do suspect that having the standard 13.5 set to 13.5 would be the better choice, but I already have the 11.5* versions so trying to avoid buying another expensive club.

Well just try the 11.5 standard.  I have hit an 11.5 300 mini in comparison to my 13.5.  There was not a ton of difference with the same shaft, distance wise for me.  A little longer total, with run out being much farther(lower launch, and lower spin) but it really wasn't a ton of difference.

If it feels too close to your driver after trying it, then sell the 11.5 and hopefully you'll get close to what a 13.5 will cost you.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 4:10 AM, LeicaRedDot said:

Hi all,

cheers 

More loft without closing your face angle with adjustments is definitely the way if your intent is to replace 3 wood with a mini-type club, particularly if your standard driver loft is already 10+. Because the CG is deeper, a 13.5* mini will deliver similar dynamic loft to a 15* 3 wood.

For reference, my set-up:

Ai Smoke TD 10.5 set D/S

Ventus Black 6x at 45.75"

Ai Smoke Mini 13.5 set D/S

Ventus Black 7x at 43.75"

Apex UW 17*

KaiLi White 80x at 41.5"

Off the tee, Mini behaves exactly like a good 3 wood strike but does it far more often and with much less stress. Mini can be hit off the deck, but the 17* UW is close enough to the Mini off the ground that it's hard to justify taking the risk of hitting mini just to get a small handful of extra yards.

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I am max 110 with driver.  As someone who likes to hit 3 wood off the tee a lot (home course demands it) I love the mini as a 3 wood replacement.  It is longer and more forgiving off the tee and still launches off the fairway.  No, you can't play it out of the rough and I usually only play it off fairway lies but when I had a 3 wood it wasn't really the club I would grab if my ball was in the rough and I needed 3 wood distance.

Previous setup:

G430 LST 10.5

G430 Max 15

G430 Max 21

New setup:

G430 LST 10.5

BRNR Mini 13.5

TSi1 18

I had to swap out my 7 wood for a 5 wood as I wanted a club that was a little longer then the 7 wood as the gap was too large to the mini.  I have been playing the mini at 13.5 for a while but recently have been trying it at 12.75 so the face looks a hair open.  It is true at standard the mini looks a tiny hair closed (not actually sure if it is or it is the paint scheme).

Ping G430 LST 10.5° - Fujikura Ventus Blue '24 6X

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5° - Fujikura Ventus Blue '24 7X

Titleist TSi1 5W 18° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping G425 Max 9W @22° - UST Attas T2 8X

Callaway Apex UT 23°@25° - Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9X

Srixon ZX7 6-PW - DG TI X100 / Ping i210 6-PW - DG TI X100

Titleist SM9 50°F - DG TI X100, Titleist SM9 @55°S & 60°T - DG TI X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3° Smooth / L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - SS XL Tour 2.0

Srixon Z-Star   💎

Off the tee the brnr is no doubt miles above a standard 3w but off the deck it was relatively a push for me. I was never a good 3w off the deck player anyway as it is the hardest shot imo. If anything, having the brnr made me more disciplined in only hitting the brnr off the deck being a premium lie whereas prior I would try to do a 1/5 hero shot in a mediocre lie with a 3w. 

Ai TD 9*

mini BRNR 13.5* set as is

Apex UW 21*

I have a QI10 tour in a 5w 18* for fun too. It gives like 10y over the UW but in most cases I would rather have that 235-240y range than the 245-250y range and plus hit the UW more consistently. 

I am jumping in the Mini game with an 11.5 on the way.

I have to admit, I always thought if I were to pray a Mini, it would be a 13.5 and it would be a 3 wood replacement.

Of course, when I actually purchase one I (a) find the shaft I want (Tensei 1k White) in an 11.5 head and (b) start killing my 3 wood which has become the most consistent club in my bag.

So, at the moment the Mini I have on the way is very much going to be a driver replacement if it finds it's way into the bag.  I have an 11* driver in the bag since I am recovering from a major knee injury so it's almost an apples to apples comparison.  I am member at an old Donald Ross course that is tricky and tight and only play 6,500 from the tips.  The mini might be just the ticket. 

I will be following this thread and report back!

• Haha 1

TSR2 11* GD AD DI 7s
Stealth +15* Lin Q White 7s

Callaway Apex UW 19 DI 8s

Flighty lil' Apex 26* Hybrid w/ AD DI 85

'24 T100 S400 4-9 S400 Tour Issue

Vokey 47F, 54S, 58V S400 Tour Issue

Jailbird Mini CH Super Stroke Pistol Tour

Thank you for giving me an outlet beyond my normal golf foursome to tell of the best decision: replacing my 3W with a BRNR mini.

My current setup:

D - Ping G425 LST 9* with Ventus Black 6X

Mini - Brnr 2023 13.5* with Ventus Black 7X (set at STD)

Driving Iron - Ping Rapture 2 Iron with Tour AD DI-85X

The top end of my bag is so fun with this set up. I feel like I have many options and ball flights available. The mini is the most intriguing because it's so consistent off the tee and very enjoyable off the deck. I've found it very predictable into par 5s because you can really work the ball flight and get it to land soft. Off the deck carry for me is about 265.

I switched away from a 3W because I could never get the launch and spin combo right. Even after fittings, I found them too spinny and not very consistent off the tee. I could never get the ball flight variability that I enjoy with the mini.

At least my opinion, make the switch from 3W to mini for a fun set up! In fact, I've often thought about taking the driver out of the bag because the mini is such a treat. My kids joke with me that I should get a bag full of mini drivers. Not sure how to hit a greenside bunker shot with one but, I'll give it a try and report back 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Is anyone replacing a 3w with a mini that has a driver SS under 110? if so, why?

I'm 95-100 and replaced by 3w with the TM BRNR (non-copper).  Why?  I primarily hit 3w off the tee and I love the comfort the deep face on the BRNR gives me.  At my home course, I have 6 tee shots where the BRNR is hit.  I rarely need to go for a par 5 in two with a 3w there so hitting off the ground is not my concern.  I will add, though, that the BRNR is much easier to hit off the ground than some people are giving it credit for.  When I'm faced with a par 5 approach and there's no forced carry, I'll hit the BRNR.