Advice on Next Iron Set (8 handicap)

ingster1

I’ve been thinking about moving on from my current irons (Mizzy JPX 825 pros) as the faces are getting a bit worn and I’m curious about the latest iron technology - especially player distance irons.  

Background:  I’m 53 YO and a 8 handicap.  My GIR for my last 20 rounds is ~45% (though improving) and I consider my iron play to be OK for my handicap.  I swing 98-104 driver and generally mid 80s for mid irons.  My iron trajectory and spin numbers seem fine - I don’t have them off the top of my head, but I work with a swing coach and look at my Trackman numbers as well as pay attention to my ball flight (mid to high) and how my ball reacts when it hits a green (stops pretty quickly).  I don’t try to work the ball much - generally play a draw with my irons.  I do play in wind a fair bit, so I need to be able to hit knockdown and flighted shots.  I like the stock carry distances of my irons: 125 PW to 175 6 iron with roughly 12 yards between clubs.  I also like the feel and performance of my current Dynalite XP S300 iron shafts - they’re not overly stiff and heavy and yet not super light and soft feeling to me.   I seem to make consistent contact near the center of the face, but struggle at times with face angle (too open or closed) and path (too inside out).  I like the look and feel of the JPX 825 pros - I’ve been playing one piece game improvement forged Mizzys for years (MX-23s, MX-300s, etc.).  Top line and offset are fine.  Sizewise, I like the size of the 6-8 irons but would prefer a slightly smaller and slimmer 9 iron and PW.  I don’t have much experience with recent iron releases that have gotten rave reviews here.  I’ve hit JPX 921 forged and Titleist 200 (2021 version) demo 7 irons a few years ago and played a round with a rental set of Srixon ZX5s a year and half ago.  

Questions: Based on this background, and assuming that I can maintain my current swing speed (if not improve it a bit) and mechanics, I’m wondering whether I could benefit from a new set of irons

1.  I’ve read a bunch of threads on player distance iron gapping.  I like the 4*/12 yard gapping of my 6-PW irons and IMO am not great at hitting partial/off speed irons.  So, I’d be concerned if my iron gaps expanded to 15+ yards unless there are significant benefits to them that I’m not seeing.  I currently only play 13 clubs - but think the gapping makes a lot of sense.  I play a 50* JPX 825 pro GW that carries 110 and 54* and 58* Titleist SM9 wedges.  At the top end, I play a 10* Titleist TSR2 driver (~250 carry) and a 16.5* Titleist TS2 4 wood (~225 carry), as well as 21* and 25* Titleist TS3 hybrids (205 and 190 carry).  I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a mini driver as a 14th club because one of the courses I play often has a few par 4s that are short and tight and driver is risky for me.  So if I play a set of player distance irons, I could end up with bigger gaps and one fewer irons covering the 125-175 yard zone instead of my current 6-PW - but I’m not sure that will benefit me.  I’m certainly willing to tweak my set makeup, including hybrid and wedge lofts, if I can gain something, but I’m not sure I would really benefit other than having one less iron to carry.

2.  I’ve also considered potential benefits of newer technology in irons.  While I’m a decent ball striker, I feel like I would continue to benefit from some forgiveness in my irons.  I do miss the center of the face and I get some reassurance from the appearance of a slightly larger blade.  When I look at the Srixon ZX7 or Titleist T150, I feel a little uneasy about that smaller blade size (length in particular) but I guess I could adjust to something that size if the results were good.  As discussed earlier, I feel like my biggest swing issue relates to face angle and club path and I’m not sure how iron forgiveness can really help correct those things; perhaps irons that lend to tighter spin numbers?  Based on the description of my swing and current irons, would I benefit from new iron technology (e.g., hollow heads with thinner faces, additional tungsten, etc.)?  

3.  I really like the feel of Mizzy one piece forged irons - in particular the soft and yet very solid feel of shots off the club face.  As noted above, I haven’t hit many recent irons - but of those that I have, they felt clickier and harder than my current irons.  Shafts were all different and some were just the 7 iron so it’s hard for me to say anything definitive about feel but I am a bit wary of some of the possible feel of some of the more recent irons.

4.  I’m open to buying a used set of irons and tweaking them to fit me better, doing a comprehensive fitting with new irons with a reputable fitter, or potentially something in between.  I think I know enough to self retrofit a used set of JPX 825 pros or something similar.  Part of me wants to test a bunch of the newer irons but I’m not sure about a fitter in my area (Massachusetts) and would want to the fitting to be more than just a 7 iron on a simulator.   However, bottom line, since I like my current set of irons, I’d need to be comfortable that I’d actually benefit from a fitted new set of irons.

Sorry for such a long post.  Looking forward to members’ advice and thoughts.  Thanks.

Current JPX forged is a bit strong lofted but I would start from there. You may like JDM Mizuno MX forged pro (fully forged wirh similar loft and perhaps tad bit smaller). There are great one piece forged models if you buy used. 

Not sure how much iron tech would help your game as you have enough ss. Hope you find a great set!

• Thanks 1

If release dates hold true, we should be getting an update to the JPX line in the fall

If you can wait a 2-3 months, you can check out the new line or get the old line on the cheap

This is what I am waiting for

• Thanks 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Mizuno Pro 245 or 923 Forged. Look no further. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S

Callaway Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º / 56º Dynamic Gold S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X L Neck

The best option is to find a store where you can test a bunch of models out and get a sense of what you prefer. Since you like your current iron shaft, it should be possible to test heads with that shaft to get an apples to apples comparison. Once you get a sense of the clubs you like, you can go through a fitting process to fine tune and take a look at shaft alternatives if you are interested. 

In terms of what you might want to keep an eye on, it sounds like you prefer an iron with a more moderate profile toe to heel and don't mind the top line on your current clubs. This opens up options that are a touch more forgiving while still offering increased feel. Mizuno Pro 245, TaylorMade P770/P790, Callaway Apex Pro, Ping I230/I530, Titleist T200 would all be in the realm of possibility, Srixon ZX5 could be worth a look too if you want a bit more help. In terms of a used set, I'd definitely take a look at the Callaway Apex 19' or 21', which is a great forged iron with excellent feel that is more forgiving than the current Apex Pro line. 

Edited by robbie91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

In player’s distance irons, I play the Ping i230’s and love them.  My gaps are about 10 yards per club from 4 iron to gap wedge, but I’m not a long hitter with my irons.  I love the feel of the i230s, both on pured shots and mishits.  Feel great, but still a little forgiving.  I play TT DG105 R300 shafts, which I’ve played forever and love.

Edited by Archimedes65
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:50 PM, Archimedes65 said:

In player’s distance irons, I play the Ping i230’s and love them.  My gaps are about 10 yards per club from 4 iron to gap wedge, but I’m not a long hitter with my irons.  I love the feel of the i230s, both on pured shots and mishits.  Feel great, but still a little forgiving.  I play TT DG105 R300 shafts, which I’ve played forever and love.

2nd vote for the Pings.

I was a 5 index when I went to a Ping fitting this spring.  I fully intended to buy the i230s.  I ended up ordering the G430s.  

I’ve always been a good ball striker and struggled around the greens.  2 months later my index has dropped 3 strokes.  They don’t feel any different than the 230s and the misses are just better.  My short game is still suspect (average strokes lost is 6.9 on Roundabout), and my handicap has still come down 3 strokes.  

52 minutes ago, stonewolf said:

2nd vote for the Pings.

I was a 5 index when I went to a Ping fitting this spring.  I fully intended to buy the i230s.  I ended up ordering the G430s.  

I’ve always been a good ball striker and struggled around the greens.  2 months later my index has dropped 3 strokes.  They don’t feel any different than the 230s and the misses are just better.  My short game is still suspect (average strokes lost is 6.9 on Roundabout), and my handicap has still come down 3 strokes.  

3rd PING vote. Love my i230s, not what I thought I'd leave with but adore them. Hit them!

Driver: Titleist TSR2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6s

Mini-Driver: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 340 13.5,

4 Wood: Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5, Tensei AV Limited Blue FW 75

Irons: Ping i230 4-PW, KBS Tour 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM10 Chrome (50/08F, 55/10S and 60/04T)

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser/Ping PLD Milled SE Anser 30 LE

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x White, Bag: Sun Mountain H2NO 2024 14 Way Lite Stand Bag Waterproof, Buggy: Clicgear Model 4.0, Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V6 Shift, Grips: Golf Pride ZGRIP Cord 1 Paper, SuperStroke Zenergy Tour 3.0 Grip 17"/PLD PP58 Tour M Gold

10 Funniest Evil Kermit Memes - #EvilKermit Tweets Takes ...

Blades. 

Dr: Titleist TSR2 10º w/ Tensei 1K Black 65S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip 

5W: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

4H: Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Tensei 1K Black 85S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Align Grey Grip

5-UW: PING G425 Red Dot w/ Project X 6.0 LZ (+1") and Golf Pride CPX Midsize Grips

54º: Vokey SM9 54º12D w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

58º: Vokey SM9 58º08M w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

P: Scotty Cameron Super Select 1.5 Fastback (35")

B: Bridgestone Tour B X