2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

amateur golf tour

You guys may want to check out Golf Galaxy's Amateur Tour. There is no tour sign up fee. You only have to pay your entry for each tournament.

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/dept.asp?...amp;dept_id=220

You can sign up as a single...but I am not interested in a 2-man best ball...I play in enough of those during the year with networking and member tournaments.

Plus, for the Charlotte tour, it is nothing but the crappy (sorry if I offend anyone), public courses that are a part of the Carolina Trail membership. At least the Golf Channel tour is a decent way to play cool courses like TPC Piper Glen.

If your standards are that high then maybe you should go ahead and take out that wallet and join the golf channel tour then. Personally, I've played a lot of golf and the courses I've played with the upstate sc tour are solid. I believe the NC courses are solid as well. Do you want to play golf, or do you just want to complain about not having a tour to play on? Sorry to be so direct but it looks like nothing will satisfy you, not the high end, not the middle of the road, not the two man best ball...............

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played TGCAT last year and its was fun but pricey. This year I am giving the EGolf a go and my first tourney is in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it and the prices are reasonable which is a bonus from last year. They also seem to have pretty big fields where I am at and cant wait to see where the game stands.

The Golf Channel Tour is a ripoff in my opinion. In the DC area we had the Michelob Ultra Tour years ago which became the US Amateur Golf Tour which the Golf Channel then took over. Guess what, the fees only went through the roof after TGC took over. Sorry, no interest in doing it anymore. To top it off they schedule a bunch of Monday and Wednesday tournaments.

Sad really because another great local tour, the Lincoln Players Series, completely slashed their schedule this year back to 3 events which is a damn shame.

Yeah, I signed up but I'm kinda hoping they have trouble filling some of these events so they have to reduce the prices back to fair levels. I mean, they are charging $130 for a tournament at Potomac freaking Ridge. I know for a fact that this is more than twice the cost of the group rate for weekend tee times. For their first event they had 119 golfers.

For the sake of argument, let's say $60 extra per player.

That's $7,200, plus they keep 50% of the closest pin money, so add $300 = $7,500

After $2,500 of payout, that's $5,000 they keep. And that's assuming they didn't get a break in the greens fees for booking 120 people at the course.

At $5,000 per tournament, over the 14 DC tourneys that's $70,000 in addition to the $60,000 in $200 entry fees they've collected.

Even when you pay a few people to work a Sunday, that is a LOT of money they pull in for very little work.

Sure does seem like they are taking advantage of the Lincoln Players Series getting the plug pulled. If that hadn't happened, they would have no chance whatsoever of filling these events at such high prices.

You guys may want to check out Golf Galaxy's Amateur Tour. There is no tour sign up fee. You only have to pay your entry for each tournament.

You can sign up as a single...but I am not interested in a 2-man best ball...I play in enough of those during the year with networking and member tournaments.

Plus, for the Charlotte tour, it is nothing but the crappy (sorry if I offend anyone), public courses that are a part of the Carolina Trail membership. At least the Golf Channel tour is a decent way to play cool courses like TPC Piper Glen.

If your standards are that high then maybe you should go ahead and take out that wallet and join the golf channel tour then. Personally, I've played a lot of golf and the courses I've played with the upstate sc tour are solid. I believe the NC courses are solid as well. Do you want to play golf, or do you just want to complain about not having a tour to play on? Sorry to be so direct but it looks like nothing will satisfy you, not the high end, not the middle of the road, not the two man best ball...............

My only issue with the egolf tour is after looking at results this year, it look a little fishy...or really difficult. I would be in the 11-15 handicap flight, and people are routinely shooting in the 76-78 range to place. I have never seen an 80 or worse that has placed. My best round ever is a 78, and I have only broken 80 once...so I am worried that people are sand-bagging a little to get to an easier flight. I know that they claim to flight also based on tournament scores, but does anyone on here know if that actually happens? I am not saying that I would not play if I can not win...but seeing that I would have to shoot my best EVER to even have a shot, and to do that during tournament conditions and tournament settings is a little disheartening and daunting to look at online. Anyone know how difficult the courses are set up...maybe they just are not set up really difficult like I would think for a tournemant.

I joined GCAT - NY (Long Island) at the end of last year and played in two stableford "get to know you" events. The last event was at Long Island National which we paid $140 and did not include food. After the round we all hung out in the clubhouse bar and noticed pamphlets for the course's upcoming tourneys. They were all $75 and included greens fees, carts, food and prizes. Needless to say, we were all a little miffed.

I have been staring hard at the schedule this year and haven't registered for any of the events. I joined because I want to try my hand at competitive golf and to try new courses that I normally wouldn't play. Most of the courses are over a hour away for me and I am seriously doubting if it is worth it for me, with the price of gas, to play in any tournaments this year. I am debating whether to chalk the $199 registration fee as a loss and move on.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

My only issue with the egolf tour is after looking at results this year, it look a little fishy...or really difficult. I would be in the 11-15 handicap flight, and people are routinely shooting in the 76-78 range to place. I have never seen an 80 or worse that has placed. My best round ever is a 78, and I have only broken 80 once...so I am worried that people are sand-bagging a little to get to an easier flight. I know that they claim to flight also based on tournament scores, but does anyone on here know if that actually happens? I am not saying that I would not play if I can not win...but seeing that I would have to shoot my best EVER to even have a shot, and to do that during tournament conditions and tournament settings is a little disheartening and daunting to look at online. Anyone know how difficult the courses are set up...maybe they just are not set up really difficult like I would think for a tournemant.

The bigger groups in the Carolinas are much more competitive than the smaller groups such as NE Georgia. This is part of it. Just more people and more strong golfers. The other part of it is that they list those handicap index ranges as a guide, but a handicap index is not needed to join that tour. You can join just by saying the range of scores you normally shoot. So they might place you in C instead of B, for example. If you consistently score low or place or win, then they will eventually move you up. I have noticed, though, that B flight is the most competitive. You should try to get into C by just stating your average scores and not your handicap index. If you stand out and win a few C competitions, they will move you up soon enough. If not, then you are placed correctly. I suggest that approach. Personally, I think they should require a USGA handicap index, although even then you have to monitor actual tournament results because some people will not post correctly.

The bigger groups in the Carolinas are much more competitive than the smaller groups such as NE Georgia. This is part of it. Just more people and more strong golfers. The other part of it is that they list those handicap index ranges as a guide, but a handicap index is not needed to join that tour. You can join just by saying the range of scores you normally shoot. So they might place you in C instead of B, for example. If you consistently score low or place or win, then they will eventually move you up. I have noticed, though, that B flight is the most competitive. You should try to get into C by just stating your average scores and not your handicap index. If you stand out and win a few C competitions, they will move you up soon enough. If not, then you are placed correctly. I suggest that approach. Personally, I think they should require a USGA handicap index, although even then you have to monitor actual tournament results because some people will not post correctly.

Thanks for the great reply and idea...I would fit better in the C flight since I typically shoot from 85-93 range...with the random 82 or 96 thrown in...and based in the results I would at least have a shot in the C flight with a great round for me. I think I will check out the etour this year even though they are well into the season.

Well Dennis is good about moving people up, Its reallu prettey good just have him put tou in D flight and continue to kick as** he will move you, No the courses are set up normal, and some good courses like Rock Barn which is usually about a month B-4 the senior tournament.

I dont think that is too much money. I think a lot depends on how serious you are about your game. For some, the money does not matter, they just want quality tournaments with quality competition. Some just want to hang out. Depends.

But i did think of it like this; if i was running the competition, how much would I want to be compensated to run a really good tournament. I bet a lot of time and energy goes into these things. And maybe Golf Channel ups the price a little, but the big name will draw more people and probably be run a lot more legit.

JMO

I dont think that is too much money. I think a lot depends on how serious you are about your game. For some, the money does not matter, they just want quality tournaments with quality competition. Some just want to hang out. Depends.

But i did think of it like this; if i was running the competition, how much would I want to be compensated to run a really good tournament. I bet a lot of time and energy goes into these things. And maybe Golf Channel ups the price a little, but the big name will draw more people and probably be run a lot more legit.

JMO

I think you are equating being serious about the game and the $$ you pay with the quality of the tour. I can assure you the DC area has had a number of top quality tours in the last 5-6 years and a lot of tournaments have been full. They've been able to operate great tournaments, at or near capacity at top quality courses while charging a minimal markup over greensfees. Heck the Lincoln Players Series, albeit only three events this year, charges you only $30 on top of greens fees.

To charge the rates they are charging at least in this area is absurd, sorry but there is no way around it. To top it off, they have done nothing to change the sandbagging problem that can plague these tours or institute a serious pace of play rule. At least the LPS had a great way to modify your "series handicap" if something like that happened - I dont know why every single tour doesnt adopt their rules : http://www.golfstylesonline.com/index.php?...e-special-rules

From the people I have talked to that played in a few of the events this year, that had also played the various tours over the last 5 years, nothing great has changed. Same courses for the most part, same full fields - only now the tourneys are being moved to some Monday and Wednesday dates as well as boosting the fees.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Is that not with the H/C figured in?

Is that not with the H/C figured in?

Well...if the winner of the 11-15 handicap flight is shooting 76-68, then either he had a career day or he sand-bagged a little. An 11 handicap ( I was down to a 10.7 last summer), usually shoots in the low 80's with an occassional round in the upper 70's...but for that handicap range to have winners in the 70's every week is a really low round considering that people in the 11-15 handicap range will play a little below their handicap during a tournament. I checked the 16-22 group and the winning scores there are in the mid, and occassionally low 80's...which is equally as difficult for a 16 or 18 handicap to shoot during a tournament.

I am going to join the 16-22 group even though I am currently a 14 handicap only because I have been shooting from 86-94 this year so far...so if I played a great round I would actually have a chance...I personally would have to have a career best round to even have a shot in the 11-15 group, and have to do it in a tournament, not likely. So effectively I am adding to the problem by jumping into the 16-22 group, but apparently others are doing the same thing...and based on the scores in tournaments this year, the 16-22 group of players are on my level, and I would rather play with guys on my level.

Make sense?

Point taken. But from a size and marketing stand point is what I was getting at. I am not sure you could ever effectively eliminate sandbagging.

Sure you can, read the link I posted to the LPS handicap rule. Now granted it was more effective when they had 20 events a year and not 3. But basically if you shot way under your posted "handicap" a new "series handicap" was created for you that you had to play at but it was constantly adjusted. This happened to me a couple of times, I shot a great round and my series handicap went down a point and a half or so. I'm not saying its perfect but I will say that playing in that Series the guys I played with were way more true to their handicap than the guys in the Michelob/AAGT/TGC Tour. Again, in my opinion.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

That kind of hits on what I was worried about. My 'season' handicap would be around a 16-17 right now...no thhe 14 which is based mostly on a couple of good rounds at the end of last season. So I am not playing at a 14 and would be more closely associated with the guys in the 16-22 group. So I am not trying to sandbag...but jump into a tour a play with guys who are the closest to my level for the best competition for everyone. If I was forced into the 11-15 group and 77's are winning every week, it certinly sets the bar for a higher standard of golf for me personally...but I really would be losing to guys who are on a different level of their game then I am....and the 16-22 group is really where my game stands right now, without question. If I were to win a couple of tournaments in the 16-22 group then I (or anyone), would deserve to be bumped up into the higher group, and that would be welcomed.

I joined GCAT - NY (Long Island) at the end of last year and played in two stableford "get to know you" events. The last event was at Long Island National which we paid $140 and did not include food. After the round we all hung out in the clubhouse bar and noticed pamphlets for the course's upcoming tourneys. They were all $75 and included greens fees, carts, food and prizes. Needless to say, we were all a little miffed.

I have been staring hard at the schedule this year and haven't registered for any of the events. I joined because I want to try my hand at competitive golf and to try new courses that I normally wouldn't play. Most of the courses are over a hour away for me and I am seriously doubting if it is worth it for me, with the price of gas, to play in any tournaments this year. I am debating whether to chalk the $199 registration fee as a loss and move on.

The guys who run the LI Metro tour are in it only fo the money. The tour is a waste. The pocket so much cash from their "tour" it is not funny. I know for a fact that they paid $50 per player in greens fees for LI National. I won an event last year with 11 other golfers in my flight and only recieved a $100 gift certificate, which I didn't get for two months. Don't get me started on how they steal from the closest to the pin money.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

That kind of hits on what I was worried about. My 'season' handicap would be around a 16-17 right now...no thhe 14 which is based mostly on a couple of good rounds at the end of last season. So I am not playing at a 14 and would be more closely associated with the guys in the 16-22 group. So I am not trying to sandbag...but jump into a tour a play with guys who are the closest to my level for the best competition for everyone. If I was forced into the 11-15 group and 77's are winning every week, it certinly sets the bar for a higher standard of golf for me personally...but I really would be losing to guys who are on a different level of their game then I am....and the 16-22 group is really where my game stands right now, without question. If I were to win a couple of tournaments in the 16-22 group then I (or anyone), would deserve to be bumped up into the higher group, and that would be welcomed.

My handicap index fluctuates between 16 and 13 and I have been playing in the C flight. In about a dozen tournaments I have won 4 times with very small fields and finished one place out of the money in 2 tournaments with very large fields. If the same person continues to win or especially if they score low, they move them up. Some of what you are seeing is that in a very large field, someone is bound to go low. But the large fields pay for the top 3 places plus birdies plus closest to pin. I also think you see a few sandbaggers early in the season but you will not see this later on because they are moved up. I suggest entering as a C and taking it from there. I am C and shoot pretty consistently between 83 and 93.

My handicap index fluctuates between 16 and 13 and I have been playing in the C flight. In about a dozen tournaments I have won 4 times with very small fields and finished one place out of the money in 2 tournaments with very large fields. If the same person continues to win or especially if they score low, they move them up. Some of what you are seeing is that in a very large field, someone is bound to go low. But the large fields pay for the top 3 places plus birdies plus closest to pin. I also think you see a few sandbaggers early in the season but you will not see this later on because they are moved up. I suggest entering as a C and taking it from there. I am C and shoot pretty consistently between 83 and 93.

We are in the same boat scoring wise...thanks so much for that advice, I signed up earlier today and look forward to playing.

BTW, what do the winner get...you said that placed in the money, what does that mean for this tour. It look like there are glass trophys for winners, but do the top 3 get $ based on the buy-ins? What does each place get as an award?

The stated entry fee includes $20 to the prize pool. This is divided into a ratio for first, second, and third. Payment is either a gift card to a big box golf superstore or a Visa/MC giftcard (same as cash). NO pro shop merchandise or credits which is good because that is always a ripoff at 50 cents on the dollar usually. Winner also gets an engraved pilsner beer glass which is nice when you get a little collection of them going. There is an optional closest to pins and birdies pool at $10 total extra you can enter as well and this is paid out as cash. This is NE Ga and Upstate SC. I assume NC is similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking, the more successful egolf tours are the ones with the larger fields. Success breeds success. If you pull up the schedules and look at the results, you will see the size of the fields in your flight. After that, just pick the dates and locations you want. Note that you can play events on multiple egolf tours also, you are not restricted to one. But you pay only one annual fee.

I belong to a local version here in the boston area. www.golfthetour.com and its a lot of fun. Of course the guys who own my "tour" dont gouge us. I think the average is 24 bucks over the cost of greens fees, and 175 to get in (150 for returning members). of the extra 24 bucks more than half goes back into the prize fund for that tournament.

Looks it up!

sounds like fun!

honestly, i cant say enough about it. if you live in the mass/nh/ri area, and you havent checked it out you dont know what you are missing. I dont work for them, and im just a regular old member, but there are a lot of serious benefits to this group again www.golfthetour.com

Mike

I'm going to check that out right now. I thought about joining the inner club at Triggs but it's $275 and not that many events. The GC one is a total rip off. I didn't realize you had to pay $200 plus pay the event fees listed? I'd be spending $310 just to play the first event. Sorry but that's more than I make in a week. I'd spend over a grand easy to play in 6-7 events. For that price I'll start my own website and organize my own tour.