2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylor Made Tour Burner Irons

burggraafm

Has anyone hit the Tour Burner Irons. I saw them last night at a demo night, but didn't get to hit them. The top line looked a bit thick for my taste, but I'm looking for new irons that aren't shovels to look at but are still forgiving. If someone has hit them, can you compare to the r7 TP irons? Any help would be appreciated. I'm a 6 handicap looking for a new set, I was leaning toward the r7 TP, but the Taylor Made rep last night was hard selling the Tour Burner Irons.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a set and played 1 round with them and brought them back. Hated them. Go with a Ping or Callaway if you want this type of club. Felt very cheap to me. Also, top line was really thick for a semi-players club. R7 TP is a totally different club then this one. The Tour burners should not be put in the Players club catergory. Not even close.

I had a chance to hit a few balls into the screen (inside only) with the Tour Burners. I was comparing it with the 08 Cobra FP, and they were actually quite similar. I have hit the R7 TP many times as well and quite like the feel and look of it. The TP has the best feel, and I am guessing would be the most workable (hard to tell hitting into a screen). However, the other 2 seemed a little more forgiving, still felt pretty nice and provided a little more confidence when addressing the ball. I thought the Tour Burners were an eyesore when I saw the first pics, however they look very good at address and the "racey" back cavity wasn't too bad after all.

I am in the market for new sticks and the Cobra FP and Tour Burners are definitely front runners. The FP has similar offset to the TP which I like, while the Tour Burners have just a bit more but nothing like the regular R7. Anyway, if anyone has hit them I would love to hear more opinions.

Cheers.

I had a set and played 1 round with them and brought them back. Hated them. Go with a Ping or Callaway if you want this type of club. Felt very cheap to me. Also, top line was really thick for a semi-players club. R7 TP is a totally different club then this one. The Tour burners should not be put in the Players club catergory. Not even close.

I could not disagree with you more. I am a 1 handicap and have been playing xtours for two years. Spent an hour with the tour burners, the R7 TP, and my x-tours on an outdoor range, on a trackman.

I absolutely love my xtours. I just don't like how much bounce they have.

The Tour Burners set up nicely (I'm not saying they look as nice as a blade, but certainly comparable to my x-tours or the R7 TP) and were VERY forgiving. In fact, it seemed like no matter where on the face I hit hem, or how solidly, the ball speed, launch, and distance were nearly identical. On mishits with my xs-tours I would lose 2 to 3 MPH of ballspeed, and with the R& TP I'd lose up to 4 MPH of ballspeed.

Tour burner BS was scary consistant...plus, I could hit all the shots I can with my X Tours

I just spent much of the day hitting the Taylormade Tour Burner irons, the Cobra FP IIs, and the Taylormade R7 Draws. I had really high hopes for the FP IIs. They feel very generic and the stock grips are terrible. The Tour Burners on they other hand feel very good. Its about a middle ground between a forged feel and a more solid (chunky) feel that you would get with most GI irons like the R7s.

I wasn't a fan of the graphics either but they do grow on you. The heads are light, conventional sized, and relatively thin. The topline is about middle to slightly thin and feels almost like a players iron. Completely different from the regular Burner XD which are considerably more clunky.

I hit the steel version.

I love the way forged irons typically feel (like the Mizzies I was also hitting). But I'm a high-handicapper and I have no business getting them :russian_roulette: . The Tour Burners seem to satisfy my player iron look with my GI needs and meeting me about 40% of the way in the soft feel dept. They are certain being considered as my replacement irons.

Lastly, my only concern with them at the moment is how effective they would be in the rough, since there heads are so thin and light.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

With the stock setup, these were some of the worst irons that TM has made in a LONG time. I really wanted to like them, but I've hit them on several occasions, and there are such better choices out there. The feel is 2nd rate, compared to Ping's, Callaway's and the new AP1's.

Man, I was quite disappointed.

felt good hitting into a net at the local store. came off hot and pretty forgiving. ordered a set w/ project x shafts. hope to have them by the end of the month. can't wait.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the upcharge for the Project X shafts?

upcharge is $15 per club.

Thanks.....I'm down to deciding between these and the Macgregor MTs.

With the stock setup, these were some of the worst irons that TM has made in a LONG time. I really wanted to like them, but I've hit them on several occasions, and there are such better choices out there. The feel is 2nd rate, compared to Ping's, Callaway's and the new AP1's.

IMHO, I think they feel better than the AP1s. My review was based on the stock steel versions btw. black%20eye.gif

L.A.B. Golf DF3

IMHO, I think they feel better than the AP1s. My review was based on the stock steel versions btw. black%20eye.gif

To each his own.

I thought they felt quite harsh. The AP1's have a completely different, albeit softer, more muted, feel to them.

But that's just me.

I really liked how they setup, and really wanted to like them. I think that maybe with DGS300's in them, they'd be sweet. But it's totally different with the stock shaft.

I got fitted yesterday and I got the i10s as a first choice and the Tour Burners as a second place by my fitter. The bulkiness of the AP1s destroyed my confidence.

My recommendation from now on is to select them and a few other irons as choices and get fitted. You'll find out if you like them then.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

I thought this thread was about how they performed.....not how they looked????

Nope. It's about both aspects.

Who are you- the thread gestapo? :D

Not all.....I just don't see the benefit in responses like: "they look cheap," "another crappy offering from TM", etc.....

I thought the original poster asked about people's opinions on how they played, felt, etc.......not how they looked.

It's like asking how a certain steak tastes from a restaurant and the response being: "I don't know, but I sure looks tough." Just not helpful at all, IMO.....obviously the looks don't bother the original poster too much or he wouldn't be considering these irons....but like I said, JMO.

• 7 months later...

I read, with great interest, these comments about the Tour Burner irons. These all seem to have been written earlier this year with no recent comments. A great many people seem to have a low opinion about TM and I must say that I basically am not a fan of the company either. The constant barrage of drivers is both obnoxious and greedy. That said I think those of you who dismissed these clubs out of hand are severely narrow minded and prejudiced. I have owned just about every club made in the last 10 years and these are without a doubt the most forgiving, longest and all around strongest contenders I've seen in quite some time. I play to an 8 so I have some understanding of what an iron should and can do. The nay sayers are missing the boat on this one for no reason other than to be contentious. I bought these the first week after their release, not even looking for irons. I have never looked back nor regretted that decision. The irons are rock solid bombers and once bent to my preferred specs, dead on accurate. For those of you sitting on the fence, fall on the side of getting these. No pretenders here and I don't even like the company.

I've been a TM iron fan for awhile, ever since the original LT's. I put the Tour Burners in the bag in the Spring and they've been solidly entrenched there ever since. They replaced a set of G10's btw. They're very easy to play, yet they don't have a clunky appearance. They set up very nicely behind the ball. I don't think the cavity medallion is anything worse than what Callaway has put out but will give you if you only saw the TM artwork it might look a bit over the top. The TM satin finish is tough as nails and for those of you who say they're cheaply made, take a look at a set that has about 6 months on it and then take a look at a set of AP1's with the same amount of play and see if you can still make that statement. They're a nice set of sticks and I like mine so much I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

I've been a TM iron fan for awhile, ever since the original LT's. I put the Tour Burners in the bag in the Spring and they've been solidly entrenched there ever since. They replaced a set of G10's btw. They're very easy to play, yet they don't have a clunky appearance. They set up very nicely behind the ball. I don't think the cavity medallion is anything worse than what Callaway has put out but will give you if you only saw the TM artwork it might look a bit over the top. The TM satin finish is tough as nails and for those of you who say they're cheaply made, take a look at a set that has about 6 months on it and then take a look at a set of AP1's with the same amount of play and see if you can still make that statement. They're a nice set of sticks and I like mine so much I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. They are firmly in my bag too. Those who say they are cheaply made must be off their rocker. I can't scratch them if I tried! They have held up extremely well. PX HL's shafts in mine. I couldn't care less who likes them or not because it is only their opinion and a lot of it comes from TM haters anyway. Best performing and durable irons I have ever played with the ability to do whatever you want with your shot.

My son recently went through a fitting for new irons and of course I had to test them all too. Tour Burners should NOT be put into the category of player's irons. They compare to the R7s rather than R7TPs. The new Tour Preferred are the player's version. BTW, my son got regular R7s. Anyway, I thought the TBs felt nice and the stock shaft produced a nice mid-traj which I prefer. I could see me playing them if I weren't set on irons.

TB's are sort of in between a full players iron and a game improvement iron, which is one of the things I like about them. They don't have quite the offset of an R7, say, but they're still easy to play. I find them every bit as forgiving as the G10's I had before them yet they're not nearly as clunky. I imagine it would be tough to work the ball with them which is really what a players iron is all about but I don't work the ball anyway so that doesn't matter to me.