SKYCADDIE SG5 "BUG", ISSUE.. ANYONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS OR EVEN NOTICE IT??

So, i have had a few SkyCaddie products; sg2, sg4 and now the newest, sg5. So i am pretty familiar with their product and how to use it.. so here's what i have found out in mine.. and i'm curious if anyone else has noticed this or if anyone has found a fix..

This issue i have noticed in my unit has to deal with the "TIME" function of the SG5..I am on the west coast in the US. I can set/ adjust the time through the unit, BUT!!! everyday around 5PM my local the time, THE DATE WILL ADVANCE TO THE NEXT DAY!! As far as the time itself, it is accurate as it's reading from the satellites,, but why the heck does the DATE jump to the next day!! example: today is 04/04/2008 and while i'm playing, the unit will show the time and underneath the time, it will show the date, BUT at around 5PM, if i turn the unit on,, it will show the correct time, BUT underneath the time, it will read "04/05/2008"

WTF???

so, to all you SG5 owners here,, have you noticed this?? if not,, check it out... troubleshoot...

SkyGolf said it is not the unit, but the satellite!!??? i find that hard to believe, because if that's right, the satellites are sending signals 7 hours in advance!!

i know this is a silly "BUG" in the software, at least that's what i think,, but it is annoying when i check the time on the back nine to make sure i'm not on the course too long, and my wife gets mad at me for playing too much golf, AND the date is 1 day ahead!!!

thanks for any input in advance..!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what i'm thinking.. BUT.. on my SG5 there is NO setting to change the time zone.. do you have an SG5?? if so,, does yours have a setting to change time zone??

I didn't even know there was a time setting let alone time zone. It's not my watch so don't pay that close attention. ;)

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Call me crazy....but is this a watch, or a Golf GPS unit?

If it is a watch, get your money back. If it is a GPS unit, and the distance is OK, I think you should know what day it is. If you don't, you may want to switch to water or Gatorade. ;)

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

you 2 last guys are funny!!! for $429.00 i expect my unit to work properly!! yes the gps is awesome!!, but there is a bug in the software regarding the GMT time zone!!! or at least something is missing,, the ability to switch the time zone!!

to the guy who says he doesn't even know about a time function, i suggest reading your manual...LOL

and to the post above this,, yeah, you're crazy!! if it doesn't bother you that your $400 + unit doesn't tell the correct date, then more power to you.. but i guess i am a bit more anal about my equipment.. what if your GPS unit in your car had this same flaw!!! oh but, that gps unit is not a watch!!!

or maybe you don't have a gps unt in your car!!!!!

I knew my unit had this function - but have not bothered to mess with it - I will take a look and let you know - in the mean time shoot them an email through the website - they used to be horrible about following up on tech questions - but turn around time has gotten much better from what I have seen - if you find anything out - post it please

thx, pwrfade.. depending on where you are, check your unit at around 12AM GMT time.. i find that if my unit is on around 5PM west coast time, it might not advance in the date, but if i power off and then on, low and behold, the date will advance to the next day..

that's the purpose of this post.. to see if any other SG5 users have noticed this or have even been smart enough to know that this function is available..

i don't wear a watch when i play, i find a watch hinders me.. so when i'm playing, i do need to know the time.. and i think this feature is really great!! so i am one to utilize this feature for sure!! so if it's gonna give me data,, i would like it to read the CORRECT data!! esp. for $429!!

most of this statement is directed to the 2 who seem content that their expensive unit has a flaw!!

blade-man,, read my troubleshooting!!! if you are KY, the time there is 2Pm ?? 3PM?? check it check it out in 5 or 6 hours,, ie Greenwich time and see if it changes the date?? that's what i'm troubleshooting..

I will, also I checked their website and downloaded the manual for SG 5 and there is nothing to show to set this!

set what?? do you even have a sg5?? you can set the time,, but CANNOT set the date,, at least in my unit.. i am just trying to see if my unit is defective or not..

here's what you do:

the unit has to be on and have a satellite siginal

pick a course and select it and then select a hole

underneath the right soft key is the info button

press that and then the time will show, the left soft kep will allow adjustments of the hour only!!

my unit will not let me adjust the mins.. then you will also see the date below the time

check your unit lets say about 6PM any day and see what the date says,, my date shows the next day!!! and it's annoying,, because sometimes i AM on the course at 5PM and i do need to know the time in case i have somewhere or something i need to do shortly,, AND i don't wear a watch!! maybe i should thugh to help prevent the FLIP!!

you 2 last guys are funny!!! for $429.00 i expect my unit to work properly!!

That's what she said. ;)

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

set what?? do you even have a sg5?? you can set the time,, but CANNOT set the date,, at least in my unit.. i am just trying to see if my unit is defective or not..

here's what you do:

the unit has to be on and have a satellite siginal

pick a course and select it and then select a hole

underneath the right soft key is the info button

press that and then the time will show, the left soft kep will allow adjustments of the hour only!!

my unit will not let me adjust the mins.. then you will also see the date below the time

check your unit lets say about 6PM any day and see what the date says,, my date shows the next day!!! and it's annoying,, because sometimes i AM on the course at 5PM and i do need to know the time in case i have somewhere or something i need to do shortly,, AND i don't wear a watch!! maybe i should thugh to help prevent the FLIP!!

Yes I do have an SG 5 and this is my third skycaddie unit and very able to set them up but I was just trying to help as stated, I downloaded the SG 5 manual to see if you could set Eastern or central or whatever time and it is not listed,

the DATE!!! i said the tiime will be correct,, but underneath the time is the DATE,, that's what i've been saying all along!!

did your date advance to the next day at this time??

I just downloaded the pdf SG5 user manual, searched for 'date' then 'time'...no reference to changing date, only adjust time in some soft menu and acquiring signal, so obviously it's synching with sat signals, which aren't DST.

Agree with the other guy, it's GPS, if you want a watch, buy one with a calendar. ;)

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

to you fellas that that say it's a GPS, not a watch!! i agree,, but AGAIN, this is a feature that's built into the unit AND it is FLAWED.. so again, i say: if i go out and buy a WATCH, and this new ROLEX does not switch the date , let's say it's stuck and the date won't advance,, but the clock part is right!! maybe you guys aren't going cause a stink,, BUT i sure am!! this SG5 is $429.00 and i expect it to work 100%

when you say satellites arent DST.. what do you mean by that??

can you be more specific.. thanks!!

Dude, relax. You sound like you're about to have an aneurysm over this. I don't even see what the problem is. You say you don't wear a watch so you need to know the correct time. Then you say the time works fine, it's just the date that changes a little early. Is this GPS unit really confusing you into thinking it's suddenly tomorrow? If so, you have bigger problems.

the DATE!!! i said the tiime will be correct,, but underneath the time is the DATE,, that's what i've been saying all along!!

OH SH!T I didn't do exactly as you stated, the date was correct too! so sorry I tried to help and you question me as "do you even own an SG5" and the DATE! WOW so sorry I tried to help, just call skycaddie and best of luck , oh start putting a calender on the bag so you will have the date available too and just ask someone what time it is and stop flaming me, I only tried to help...........................

well.. if you read my initial post.. this whole question had to do with the DATE,, not the time.. i can't help it if you didn't read it right.. and i really doubt it that at 10PM your unit showed the correct date.. but whatever,, i am just pointing out a flaw in the skycaddie unit.. as i said before,, for this much money, i do expect it work as stated!! but i gues the rest of you don't really care.. maybe most of you are all high handicappers anyways, so i suppose i wouldn't take advice from you all about golf clubs, balls, etc so i shouldn't worry too much about your feelings on thsis SG5 issue..

thanks anyways for all your input..

well.. if you read my initial post.. this whole question had to do with the DATE,, not the time.. i can't help it if you didn't read it right.. and i really doubt it that at 10PM your unit showed the correct date.. but whatever,, i am just pointing out a flaw in the skycaddie unit.. as i said before,, for this much money, i do expect it work as stated!! but i gues the rest of you don't really care.. maybe most of you are all high handicappers anyways, so i suppose i wouldn't take advice from you all about golf clubs, balls, etc so i shouldn't worry too much about your feelings on thsis SG5 issue..

thanks anyways for all your input..

Yes, that's it. We're all high handicappers. That's the only possible reason we can't see what the big deal is. If only we had a device that could tell us the correct date, then we'd all be scratch golfers.

I did read it correctly, just didn't type all, that I thought you were buying a GPS and not a watch/calender, but again I'm a high handicapper and I'm more concerned with yardage (why I purchased a GPS) than time (or I would have bought a watch) of course it doesn't take me from one day to the next to play a round of golf...... but mine does show the correct DATE/TIME, but then again I am in Kentucky (not part of the United States) :good: Most people on this site are here to help or learn or just talk golf so being a smart Word not allowed doesn't help matters and I know it is sometimes hard to get what someone is saying by reading a post.