Thank you all for your support!!

TJValentine

Welcome TJ!

You did good on the Big Break! Congrat!

I'm sure you'll enjoy sharing anything about golf in this board.

Like Easyyy ( Richard ) said, let us know what we can do to help you to the next level. My phone line is always open to discuss anything you need to improve.

I'm sure through time you'll see and know more the regulars here, then the fun will be much more fun. LOL!

Joe Kwok :birthday:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bill, I am currently in florida for the next few weeks working on my game. I had been teaching up until last week indoors. I do a lot of corporate clinics and have some golf shows scheduled for the winter. The National Golf Expo in Boston is one of them up north. I am also working on a book as well so I have been busy with the game :birthday:

Hi TourPro, yes I am affiliated with the PGA.

Hi Ian, yes Carnoustie was a very difficult track with extreemly narrow and tight fairways. If you missed the fairway you were in trouble. The cameras did make it difficult at first because of the simple fact that there was so many, as well as about 75 crew members. Tough to keep focused but what a great learning experience.

Hi Joey, yeah I am currently seeking sponsors for the next season. I have had a lot of emails from people and companies interested in helping me out. If anyone out there would like to please feel free to drop me an email! Thanks

TeeeeeeeJaaaaaaay!

Awesome to see you here! My wife and I watched every episode and loved it. I can't imagine what playing such a historic venue would be like. I wouldn't be able to get off the first tee, much less make contact with anything.

I hope to see you on the Nationwide Tour sometime soon which makes a stop in my hometown of Fort Smith, Arkansas for the Rheem Classic which was last won by Chris Couch.

Good luck in your journey.

Rheem Classic

TJ

Nice to have you on board! Great job onn the show even if you didn't win, nice showing. I am a Teaching Pro myself and I am currently looking for sponsors for the 06 season on the mini-tours here in NC. It's a struggle as you well know but seeing someone like yourself catch a break and take advantage of it gives guys like myself hope to keep reaching for that dream. I just can't give up that will to play even though I really enjoy my Teaching I still would love to play and don't want to go through life wondering "What If" any more.

If there's anything I can do on my end just ask and welcome to the forum, it's a great place for a bunch of guys and gals that love the game of golf.

Good Luck!! :birthday:

Hey Utopia, sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Do you play on the TarHeel Tour down there? Have you played with Gloves? He is a great stick and a great guy too. You have to live you life without any regrets and I totally agree with you, I never want to look back and say what if. There could be worse things we could be doing right :-)

Thanks guys! Now its back to the putting green for me...

In some respects I'd have to agree with Haney in others i disagree. Some of the guys and women throughout these shows have had plenty of game...last time (BBIV) tj, paul, guy, marty, warren...etc. all seemed to have game. What I think Haney is right on is the reality check...no offense to TJ bc you seem like a great guy... and its not even the golf skill im referring to which may have been what Haney meant...I think that these exemptions will give them a reality check on the mental aspect for some of these players...Playing on tour the big show or any of the big stages that they give exemptions into is a horse of a different color...for someone whos never been there before it is a complete culture shock the mental toughness etc. you need to really thrive in that environment...Thats where I think the reality check comes in is for those who win the show bc their golf is good but don't quite have the mental edge yet to cut it out on the largest stages in golf...I mean in truth that really is a big jump from struggingling through the mini tours or not playing much tournament golf bc youve chosen to teach or do something else to enrich the game, to going to the European Tour or the LPGA or something as grand as those is a huge jump and there is definately an adjustment period which these winners dont get bc of the few number of exemptions they get... So imo I think haney is right in that going to something so big is both culture shock and a reality check in that it will certainly magnify the smallest part of your game thats out of sync and needs working on or a mental instability such as a short fuse or the inability to move on after a bad hole etc. jmo and in no way is this belittling the contestants bc most of them have tons of game and solid swings etc...I can just kinda see where Haney is coming from on the second half of the quote.

Vince, yeah good observation with the Red X. Obviously looking back on it I def putted poorly with the X. My decision for changing was because of how slow the greens were the last couple of days. They had been running about an 11 and we got a lot of rain and slowed them down to about a 9 so I went to a heavier putter. Putting is one of the better parts of my game but my problem lies in over analyzing situations such as I did.

My only response to the Hank Haney post is that first of all I completely respect him as a teacher and as a person and if given the chance would love to talk to him about the golf swing. The Big Break is a tv show, taped in 2 weeks, sometimes hours between shots standing around, with no practice, no sleep (about 4 hours or so a night) and nothing like any golf tournament. The guys that are on the show have played on the PGA Tour, the Nationwide Tour and everything inbetween. We are not Tiger, Vijay, Ernie and if we were we would not be on the show. But we are the Sean O'Hairs and the Jason Gores working our butts off to get there and some of us will and some of us wont. Hank Haneys comments are completely in his right to say i'm not saying I agree with him at all but there are only 42 Big Break competitors that can have a say in that. I know my boy Kipper would agree! We have to make our own break nothing has been givem or ever will be given to us and that is what makes this game so great!!

Hi Michael

Thank you very much. Yes, I have been doing corporate clinics and charity events. It is actually something that I have been doing for the past 6 years now but had picked up a lot due to the show. Drop me an email and we can talk further. :-)

Vince, I actually didnt tell anyone, it was pretty easy because we could have been sued up to a million bucks if we did :-) that made it pretty easy. The show was taped in June so it was a good 6 months till the end too...

Cameron, I do agree with you somewhat. Personally the mental aspect is something I do struggle with. But no matter what level event I'm in PGA Section, Nationwide Tour, Mini Tour or PGA Tour I have to fight those demons. I have worked very hard the past 6 months on my mental game but I have a long way to go. I learned so much from watching myself on tv and believe it has made my mental game better. I saw where I would break down and where I needed to improve. Like I tell my students, some of which play professionally, keep putting yourself in those pressure tournament situations and your mind will get better no matter what level you are playing at. I challenge Haney to get me mentally where I need to be :-)

Hi Joey, yeah I am currently seeking sponsors for the next season. I have had a lot of emails from people and companies interested in helping me out. If anyone out there would like to please feel free to drop me an email! Thanks

Send me email ( Below ) w/ your info and i'll talk to you during my free time to discuss what i can or can't do.

THX!

Joe

No offense to this TJ posting here or any other cast members from the BB but Hank is right.

This is a television show and these are not the 12 best undiscovered players in the world, they are cast members who are picked for many reasons.

I've played with a couple of the contestants from 2 different shows over the past few years and while a few of them can play a little, none have pga tour games.

Even the better of the players don't have swings that hold up under pressure and that is evident every show by the way these guys lay the sod over and shank shots at an alarming rate.

Again, no offense intended and I am not looking to hurt feelings but I have done the circuit and seen guys that have it, guys that think they have it and guys with no chance.

Ur1down, no offense taken at all. I 100% respect your opinion and I know it is a tv show, remember I was there. And I didnt say each and every person was PGA Tour ready. If we were PGA Tour ready at this moment we would be there and we wouldnt be picked for the show in the first place. People have to understand that The Big Break is not about making instant PGA Tour pros out of struggling pros it is about everyday professional golfers that are trying to make it in golf. It is about giving them exposure to get the financial backing they need to eventually see what they can do. Its about ratings, taking 12 guys that have personalities from all over the map and putting them together in an extreemly intense pressure filled stage and see what happens. It is about entertainment and the show def does that, it entertains. We all are good enough to make a living in this game and this sport but will any of us make it to the top stage, that remains to be seen. All of the guys at least the 16 or so that I know from the show can play at a very high level. Just one example Paul has monday qualified for 4 PGA Tour events in a row. Does anyone comprehend just how hard that is. That is insane. Guy missed his European Tour card by two shots. Who knows if one of us will break through to the top but I sure as hell will keep working my butt off and always carry a positive attitude and will keep getting better.

The reason why I say these things is that Haney does not know most of us from a hole in the wall and a general statement like that about some random mix of pros is just odd to hear. Would anyone say that about Sean O'hair now, no but playing around him the year before he made it through Q school he would have been included in this broad statement of unknown struggling mini tour pros. But everyone is entitled to their opinions :-)

Like I said I take no offense to that at all and I respect your opinions as I am a golfer like everyone out there. But I am 1 of the 42 guys and gals that experienced a television show which is not a golf tournament of any sorts. And I truely know why we all got picked as players and as personalities because I was a part of it. There are hundreds of pros out there like myself I was just one of the lucky few to get the opportunity to participate in a life changing experience that is going to help me in my career not to turn me instantly into a PGA Tour caliber player but to work my butt off to get as far as I can. Hell I have 21 years till I am eligible for the Champions Tour too, that is what makes this game awesome, we all can play till the day we pass...

Life life...no regrets and always carry a positive attitute

T.J.

Good luck in your future enduvers TJ I played a lot with your dad and doug. Still practice at times with doug hope too see your dad playing competive golf again he was always a perfect Gentelmen no matter what he shot 72 or 82.. and tell him to be at the Stow Acres Club Championship next year..

I did not like the show ... not your fault .. it was teh golf channels fault. I just don't believe in mulligans no matter how you get them

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

TJ,

You mentioned having to wait around for hours between shots or takes, what do you guys do to pass those times? Did they let you practice a little or none at all between takes? That would be tough getting any rhythm going.

What did those guys that got eliminated early in the show do until the final episode? Play golf or kept cooped up in Van de Velde suite?

Just curious on what went behind the scenes. :birthday:

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Would anyone say that about Sean O'hair now, no but playing around him the year before he made it through Q school he would have been included in this broad statement of unknown struggling mini tour pros.

Hell I have 21 years till I am eligible for the Champions Tour too, that is what makes this game awesome, we all can play till the day we pass...

Life life...no regrets and always carry a positive attitute

T.J.

Sean O'hair is a slightly different story. He was tearing up the New England Tour before he broke out of Q school. No one doubted that that kid could play. He also has the tools and the ability, something that was apparent to everyone who ever played with him. That is not the case with the guys and girlson the BB thus far.

The Champions tour is the hardest Tour in the world to gain exemption on, so anyone holding out hope for that Tour may want to have a backup plan.

Good luck to you in whatever you do.

TJ, I think it's great the way you carry yourself on this board. I think it was evident to most of the folks who watched what type of person you were/are. Keeping your head up and trying to make a living doing something you have such a passion for is truly commendable. Liek you say no regrets... One of my good friends fathers pitched in the Pittsburgh Pirates system and had a cup of tea in the bigs. He stopped playing essentially just before the money in pro ball started to escalate. He still to this day regrets not trying for another couple of years. He gave me some great advice before I went off to play minor league hockey about playing until you are sure you don't want to or can't play anymore.

Now Ur1Down, I respect your opinions on the BB contestants, but you have made your point on where you stand. Did you ever submit yourself as a possible contestant for the show? Having played with a few of the past contestants as you have, I am sure you have played competitively against them and thought, "Why shouldn't I be on the golf channel...." There is a reason it is called the Big Break. 12 LUCKY individuals get to compete for an exceptional opportunity in life. There are plenty of +2,+3 handicap guys who could be on the show, but GC picks 12. Look at the women for the BB5. I think they picked a group of women that are as a whole more attractive than the first group of women. Obviously, they feel the ratings will be higher if the women are comelier, and still can play a bit of golf.

my .02....

HI MaGuy, thank you very much. And you are right about not having any regrets. Everyone is going to have some during thier lives but the goal is to limit them. If you have some control of them you can limit them. Are you still playing hockey? Its a great sport having played. A couple of my students have been x bruins Kevin Stevins and Jeff Norton and I know a couple of guys in the systems. Negative comments never get me down being a very positive person and hell I have been knocked down more times than I count in my life. You live...and you learn from all your experiences. As for the bb contestants yes we were all lucky to get picked and I feel I was blessed to be one of them. I always find it funny how people judge people from what they saw on TV. Perfect example is Gloves, tommy. They saw him hit a couple of bad shots and with his quirky swing and think he is a 5 handicap. I played in a tournament this fall in atlanta with him which he won shooting 69 64 70 in extreemly tough conditions against a pga tour nationwide tour field. I played another round with him and he was 7 under after 8 and we had to stop because of darkeness. (safe to say he took my money that day lol) The show is for entertainment but everyone can play at a high level and the verdict is still out if anyone will make it to the PGA Tour but i'll tell you what you can still make a hell of a living now a days even on second and third tier tours. As for the Champions Tour, it is by far the hardest tour to get on. 7 spots and that is it, man come on now, that is tough. But if anyone thinks for a second that would stop me or anyone else that is working their rear off to get there they have no positive energy within themselves. I have a friend of mine who made it this year. Rick Karbowski has been at this game for many years and finally breaks through. That is a person and a player that I look up to, he has the determination and the fight. Another New England PGA player is Kirk Hanefeld who was 2nd this year in Q school. My philosophy is simple and its been said a million times over, you work hard, you carry a positive attitude and it will get you places in life!!! :-) now i'm off to work on my 90 yard wedge shots :birthday:

You don't have to tell me about Tommy Gainey. I played with him long before you or just about anyone else ever heard of him. The guy can certainly play and, in my opinion, was the most talented player of the last show but I would be shocked to ever see him earn status on the pga tour.

I saw Tommy won that event which is nothing new for him. He has plenty of mini-tour wins under his belt. I know a lot of guys in that field and I just went back and saw you shot 81-77 which goes to show that the BB really doesn't mean much. You got a lot further than Tommy and I am certain you have no problem admitting that he is far ahead of you in ability.

If you are saying that you and some of the other guys can scratch out a living doing the mini-circuit I will not argue that. It's not much of a way to live but I did it for a few years and had a lot of fun. My comments were in regards to you and others playing the pga tour. In that regard Hank Haney was right. There isn't a swing on any of those shows that is pga tour caliber. I know that Paul mondayed into some events but, if I am correct, that was a long time ago and monday qualifying has changed a lot since then. Not to mention that monday qualifying is a world away from earning exempt status.

Although I thought Tommy was the most talented of the last cast, Paul was certainly the best player. He handled the pressure better than anyone else, his course management was superior and you didn't see him throwing any temper tantrums and slamming clubs around. He was refreshing to watch and seemed like a good guy. I picture him as being a very good teacher because of his demeanor.

I am in the same situation that TJ is and like him I don;t care what anyone thinks including Hank Haney..........who by the way I don't like his teaching methods IMO........and what you think I am always going to look forward and stay positive no matter what. I will continue to work hard and if it dosen't pay off at least I can say I gave it all I had and ddidn't let any negative hearsayer's get me down.

I am currently looking for a sponsor for the Tarheel Tour in your home town and I challenge you to come ut and play with the likes of David Sanchez and the many others that play on the tour and tell them that they don't have what it takes. IMO the difference between a PGA Tour player and someone out there like us busting our butts is desire. Once you have made it on the big stage you get complacent and all you care about is trying to make some money to retire on. Us out here want to get there for the prestige. I have a few friends on the PGA Tour right now and not once have they ever told me not to chase my dream.

So if you treid it and didn't succeed than I am sorry for you but at least you can say you tried but don't down play anyone that is busting there butt and staying positive trying to fulfill a dream just because of a TV show that didn't portray there true talent.

Sorry for the rant but I guess I am not as politically correct as TJ because I get the same thing from guys that wish they where in my shoes but could never fit in them. No matter what I will always play this game and compete when ever I can but I will always have fun plaing the game. The day I wake up and don't enjoy going out and practicing and trying to get better and playing this great game is the day I hang it up with no regrets!!!!

This was the first show that the guys that got eliminated did not go home. They basically had one heck of a vacation. The got to play whenever they wanted.

I would have to say tommy was def one of the better players on the show if not the best. I have known about gloves ability for a few years now and he can play with anyone anywhere. As for what I shot in that tourney I don't mind that being posted at all. Heck I have posted higher scores. Just as anyone that plays this game for a living can attest that it happens. You learn from the rounds in the 60s you shoot but you learn a heck of a lot more from the bad rounds that you shoot. What those scores don't show is the fact that they were in the midst of my swing change and not playing a competitive round of golf in 4 months due to teaching and my mothers charity work. I am a realist and I will be the first to tell you at this point in my career I am not PGA tour ready but every day I am getting better and better and yes I do make a good living the level I am at in the golf industry but no way will I ever give up or let negative energy flow through me. Without potential we would have nothing to work for! Being positive and working hard toward goals makes anyone better at anything they do in life not just golf.

thank you guys again!