2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Chikara Prototype V.2 Wedge

Randy

IMHO... best wedge ever for a picker of the ball
I have always been a picker of the ball and doubt that will ever change. Always struggled some with the LW and harder ground. After doing some reseach, and lucky enough to live here in Hawaii, I went down and got a 60 degree Chikara V.2 wedge. Took it out for the first time this afternoon. First hole I was over the back about 10 yards and on hardpan to an elevated green. A lot of times this shot is disaster for me. Took a nice easy swing with my new wedge and the ball hit the green took two hops and was coming to a stop when it went into the hole. I hit the pin two more times during the round from 50 yards and in and close the rest of the time I used it.

I know it is very early in the honeymoon period, but I have never hit a LW wedge as consistently as I did the V.2. IMHO it is the best wedge out there for pickers of the ball and well worth the money.

Aloha
Randy

P.S. Carlton is really great to do business with.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! I so pick the golf ball! I hate normal wedges because of it! We need to talk! Of course mamma doesn't need to find out! ;)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Hey Randy...so you're the "Randy" that stopped by the shop and bought a wedge. Carl was telling me some Gwrx guy named "Randy" was ther but I didn't recognize you. Nice to see you're having success with the v2. I too recently replaced my Prototype with a v2. I loved my Prototype but just felt like benching it because it was a prototype. I also have been curious since day one after seeing Tadd's wedges so when the opportunity came up to own them, it was a must have. I've been loving the way the v2 has been working since adding it in the bag. Although I haven't been knocking pins like you...I did have one chip in for eagle with mine on the 18th at Royal Kunia. :partytime2:

Hope to see/meet you one day at the "club house"..Par Golf 72. Come join us in the Hawaii Room too. ;)

interesting to know about this, as I too am a picker. I still have 2 brand new of the original prototypes, wonder if I could trade them for 2 v2's?

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0123 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

send them back and i'll trade you even swap.

carl

carl, wow you would actually do that? i am gonna send you over an email; the original prototypes i bought from you are still sitting with the bags around the heads in a heated room.

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0123 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

yup,

i had to sell my personal set to someone that REALLY wanted them. but i'll gladly trade you even swap i want a set for memories.

the V2 is a wedge that is designed for someone who picks the ball clean. i also backed off the groove ever so slightly because the pros can already add spin. but it still bites as much as any other wedge if not more than most.

• 4 weeks later...

yes u did back off just a hair on the grooves carl! i am not shaving a ball after each shot. cant spin back like i did with previous wedges but they do stop on a dime. i played first round with them today i have all 3 wedges. the lw and sw come out of the bunkers with almost no sand like going thru a stick of butter. picks it clean and comes out like a real sand shot. you may have outdone yourself this time! however, in the future leave the extra spin for us amateurs. :clapping: :man_in_love:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I take a divot. Am I more geared to a Prototype original version? v1? I have access to one in 57* loft.

Go with the first version if you dig. With the v2, it's more for the guy who'll pick it clean. There is less bounce and room for "error" in the v2. The v2 was originally made for Tadd Fujikawa and several other Professionals who wanted less bounce and the ability to catch the ball extremely clean.

I take a divot. Am I more geared to a Prototype original version? v1? I have access to one in 57* loft.

Go with the first version if you dig. With the v2, it's more for the guy who'll pick it clean. There is less bounce and room for "error" in the v2. The v2 was originally made for Tadd Fujikawa and several other Professionals who wanted less bounce and the ability to catch the ball extremely clean.

Interesting comments about picking the ball clean. I've been gaming a couple of V2's and like the action and accuracy but they just really seem to "dig" on certain shots, especially on soft terrain, plus we have lot's of Kakuya grass which is mega grabby around the greens. I was thinking of sending them back to Carl for a slight leading edge grind though I know I can do it myself as I've ground wedges before. Any ideas or imput... anyone?

Interesting comments about picking the ball clean. I've been gaming a couple of V2's and like the action and accuracy but they just really seem to "dig" on certain shots, especially on soft terrain, plus we have lot's of Kakuya grass which is mega grabby around the greens. I was thinking of sending them back to Carl for a slight leading edge grind though I know I can do it myself as I've ground wedges before. Any ideas or imput... anyone?

They will dig on certain shots, soft terrain etc. as the bounce is lower. It's more of a wedge made for a "picker".

I'll call him up and see if he can add anything to this.

I have always been a picker of the ball and doubt that will ever change. Always struggled some with the LW and harder ground. After doing some reseach, and lucky enough to live here in Hawaii, I went down and got a 60 degree Chikara V.2 wedge. Took it out for the first time this afternoon. First hole I was over the back about 10 yards and on hardpan to an elevated green. A lot of times this shot is disaster for me. Took a nice easy swing with my new wedge and the ball hit the green took two hops and was coming to a stop when it went into the hole. I hit the pin two more times during the round from 50 yards and in and close the rest of the time I used it.

I know it is very early in the honeymoon period, but I have never hit a LW wedge as consistently as I did the V.2. IMHO it is the best wedge out there for pickers of the ball and well worth the money.

Aloha

Randy

P.S. Carlton is really great to do business with.

After that story, I'm not surprised you're so happy with your Chikara wedge. After all... "chips don't lie." ;)

How do you go about getting one.

Here's Carls site:

http://www.chikaradesigns.com/index.html

I think contacting him here will get you a bit of a discount and you''ll be able to sus out your exact needs (something I shoulda done)

They may still have some at high end JDM places like TourSpec Golf but I think they sold out long ago.

How do you go about getting one.

Here's Carls site:

http://www.chikaradesigns.com/index.html

I think contacting him here will get you a bit of a discount and you''ll be able to sus out your exact needs (something I shoulda done)

They may still have some at high end JDM places like TourSpec Golf but I think they sold out long ago.

They're not available via TSG.

If you order through Carls website and mention in your email you are a GolfWRX member, he'll give you a discount.

yup,

i had to sell my personal set to someone that REALLY wanted them. but i'll gladly trade you even swap i want a set for memories.

the V2 is a wedge that is designed for someone who picks the ball clean. i also backed off the groove ever so slightly because the pros can already add spin. but it still bites as much as any other wedge if not more than most.

Just a small testimonial to the kind of man and "good person" Carl Matsui is.

I am the one referred to in the quote shown above that Carl sold 'his' V-1 Protos to. I already had a 52 and was SOL on the 57 and 60. Oh there was a place in the UK that wanted a grand per for both heads but really outta my league. I emailed Carl just to see if he knew of any others available (new or used) and explained the quote from the Brits. I also explained how I was a 4 handicap and was trying to improve in my short game and how I thought his wedges are the answer. Instead of the general BS we all have heard from other disinterested CS people, Carl genuinely listened to me and the rest is history. I'm not a collector. If I own 'em, I play 'em. In 30 years of dealing with companies and individuals, Carl Matsui is the BEST man I've ever personally dealt with. I hope to meet him some day and shake his hand.

Sincerely,

Fan for life (nitram)

P.S. They are the answer. (now a 0.7)

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1223905474' post='1290471']
[quote name='tbc777' post='1111259' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:49 PM']yup,

the V2 is a wedge that is designed for someone who picks the ball clean. i also backed off the groove ever so slightly because the pros can already add spin. but it still bites as much as any other wedge if not more than most.[/quote]

Just a small testimonial to the kind of man and "good person" Carl Matsui is.

I am the one referred to in the quote shown above that Carl sold 'his' V-1 Protos to. I already had a 52 and was SOL on the 57 and 60. Oh there was a place in the UK that wanted a grand per for both heads but really outta my league. I emailed Carl just to see if he knew of any others available (new or used) and explained the quote from the Brits. I also explained how I was a 4 handicap and was trying to improve in my short game and how I thought his wedges are the answer. Instead of the general BS we all have heard from other disinterested CS people, Carl genuinely listened to me and the rest is history. I'm not a collector. If I own 'em, I play 'em. In 30 years of dealing with companies and individuals, Carl Matsui is the BEST man I've ever personally dealt with. I hope to meet him some day and shake his hand.

Sincerely,

Fan for life (nitram)

P.S. They are the answer. (now a 0.7)
[/quote]

[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1293646130' post='2864245']
Since Carl is chimming in on this thread from time to time what is the plan for his wedges, I have missed out on being able to play his wedges and I would love to have a set.
[/quote]

I don't think he's logged onto Gwrx in years. Carlton split with his partners over a year ago and is venturing on his own. There were plans to start a new line but as of this time, nothing is set in stone. Chikara is alive in Japan though with Carlton's old partners, just not with him involved in the design....although all designs they're currently selling there are his designs. Nothing new has come out. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Does Carlton still have his shop in HI? the 57* that I got from him when I visited a few years ago and met you guys is still in the bag. Not sure when my next trip out there to visit family is, but hopefully soon.

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana ZF 70s

Callaway Paradym 3D 18* Kaili White 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti SS3 or Betti BB46 or Betti BB Proto