2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pet peeves...

Am I the only one that has more problems on the range than the course itself?

Tell us about your problems, please.

Unsolicited swing advise when I am trying to get over a hangover.

Everyone stopping to watch when I hit my driver.

Little "prodigy" kids screaming at their dads telling them they want to hit like the American.

People asking for swing advise.

Folks rummaging through my bag.

The lack of quality range balls at some of the ranges I go to.

The range only going to 200 yds with a net that doesn't go high enough.

Being kicked off said range for hitting my woods.

Mats so old that they're no longer green.

My caddy being also my "waiter" asking me if I need something mid-swing.

Being asked to use the mat when I hit my driver on the grass when there isn't an appropriate sized rubber tee thing.

Being constantly asked if I want a "real" drink from some dude I only met 5 minutes ago who wants to be my new "friend".

I probably have more, but these just happened a few days ago.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who don't mind their own business about what the other person is playing and whether it is suitable for their handicap. Or worse, the person who will actually mutter something under their breathe about it making sure everyone in the group can hear it.

Here's an appropriate response for you, in that situation:

You: "You know, my grandfather played these clubs, and he lived to be a hundred."

Other Guy (bewildered): "Because he played those clubs?"

You: "No, because he minded his own f'n business!"

Well its funny because I'm no superstar by and means, but I am 6'2" 240...so people usually don't antaginize me. But when they say stuff like that I just look at them.

You'd be surprised. I am 6'3" and around 275lbs, and people still find me very "approachable" for some reason. I hope this goatee I am growing does the trick.

The incident I was referring to in my earlier post happened in my second year of golf. I was probably a 34 hc at the time but I had a particularly great day for me (shot a 93). I was playing with a threesome and one of the guys who claimed to be a 16hc shot a 112 with his Walmart "bag in a box" set. He mutters under his breathe, but in earshot of everyone, "Maybe if I had rich boy's clubs I would have shot better then him today." His friends were very apologetic because up until that point we were having a great time and getting along famously. If that wasn't enough, when we walked to the parking lot with our bags the same guy pointed out a black 2 door Mercedes coupe and asked me if that was my car, because "that's what people like you drive". I laughed and walked over to my wife's beat up 2000 Rav-4 and went home.

Well its funny because I'm no superstar by and means, but I am 6'2" 240...so people usually don't antaginize me. But when they say stuff like that I just look at them.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

You'd be surprised. I am 6'3" and around 275lbs, and people still find me very "approachable" for some reason. I hope this goatee I am growing does the trick.

The incident I was referring to in my earlier post happened in my second year of golf. I was probably a 34 hc at the time but I had a particularly great day for me (shot a 93). I was playing with a threesome and one of the guys who claimed to be a 16hc shot a 112 with his Walmart "bag in a box" set. He mutters under his breathe, but in earshot of everyone, "Maybe if I had rich boy's clubs I would have shot better then him today." His friends were very apologetic because up until that point we were having a great time and getting along famously. If that wasn't enough, when we walked to the parking lot with our bags the same guy pointed out a black 2 door Mercedes coupe and asked me if that was my car, because "that's what people like you drive". I laughed and walked over to my wife's beat up 2000 Rav-4 and went home.

I'll never understand people like that. How is it MY fault that my clubs are nicer than yours?

I have my own version of the Brooklyn Tony joke that I use that I can't repeat here.

Arbitrage comes from Queens. He'll get the variance on the Brooklyn Tony joke. :clapping:

The folks that did the above didn't mean any harm. Someone who tries to force you to gamble is out to try to prosper from other's ignorance and misery. Friendly bets between friends is a whole other matter.

I've had issues in the past with people trying to make me gamble. One individual tried to push the issue once on a course. I pushed back. He didn't like it. I can still see the desperation in his face in the parking lot with his hand out saying I owed him 300 bucks. I'm pretty sure he really needed some money fast and thought he could intimidate me into solving his financial woes.

If I make a bet, I honor it. When I do bet I bet on food and drink. Before the round started he asked if we could play 100 bucks a hole. I said no quite firmly. I guess he didn't know what no meant at the time. Unfortunately I had to give him a class on the word no in the parking lot. The best part was he threw the first and only punch and I threw none. I'm not real sure if he's still double jointed anymore at the shoulder.

It's nothing I'm proud of. I don't like having to get physical with anyone. This individual was on the same level as a mugger. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hate when the people in front of you leave the flag out of the pin and have left it laying on the green.

Sand rakes left in front of the green.. ruining any approach bump-n-run shots

As I'm finishing up a hole and walking off of a Par 3, having young punks yell "Fore!".. I proceed to take cover.. and I look back and they haven't even hit the ball .. while laughing and having a good ole time..

I did wait for them to arrive to the next tee.. but unfortunately for their health.. they proceeded to skip a few holes

I have my own version of the Brooklyn Tony joke that I use that I can't repeat here.

Arbitrage comes from Queens. He'll get the variance on the Brooklyn Tony joke. :)

Does it end in "... you'd be a TEN."??? :clapping:

also when i hit a 300 yrd drive, leaving me 100 yrds into the green, and make double bogey, happens to me atleast once per round

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

The folks that did the above didn't mean any harm. Someone who tries to force you to gamble is out to try to prosper from other's ignorance and misery. Friendly bets between friends is a whole other matter.

I've had issues in the past with people trying to make me gamble. One individual tried to push the issue once on a course. I pushed back. He didn't like it. I can still see the desperation in his face in the parking lot with his hand out saying I owed him 300 bucks. I'm pretty sure he really needed some money fast and thought he could intimidate me into solving his financial woes.

If I make a bet, I honor it. When I do bet I bet on food and drink. Before the round started he asked if we could play 100 bucks a hole. I said no quite firmly. I guess he didn't know what no meant at the time. Unfortunately I had to give him a class on the word no in the parking lot. The best part was he threw the first and only punch and I threw none. I'm not real sure if he's still double jointed anymore at the shoulder.

It's nothing I'm proud of. I don't like having to get physical with anyone. This individual was on the same level as a mugger. Nothing more, nothing less.

If someone threatened or tried to intimidate me at the start I'd simply walk off the tee or where ever and find other people to play with. The day someone swings or attacks me at a golf course is the day I get arrested.

No, but I like the way you're thinking.

Arbitrage comes from Queens. He'll get the variance on the Brooklyn Tony joke. :)

Does it end in "... you'd be a TEN."??? :clapping:

How about the guys that tells you even the pros' arent using blades anymore...

Or the guys that your ball, then says 'it was a prov so i thought it was mine'...he was using last year's model, i had this year's model...and his ball was 50 yards shorter than where my ball was

Or the guys that tell you nice shot if when you're furious cus it really was not..,

Or the guy that tries to make you gamble, but wants odds because you have blades...

Or the guy that esctatic because he outdrove you (even though you used a 3W and him driver...)

Oh I just thought of another one. I played last saturday...a pair of gents in front of us took THREE shots off of EVERY single tee. One of the guys never used his driver, EVER and his irons were less than 150 yards regardless of club choice. His buddy teed the ball up so high he would literally hit the ball straight into the air and use his hand to block the sun and say "where did it go??" looking down the fairway

Ball washers. I hate ball washers. I don't know what it is? Perhaps it's more of a superstition than a pet peeve, but I can't stand ball washers. There's just something weird and elementary about them I can't explain. I'm not saying anyone who uses them is an idiot, I just prefer a towel. Also, whenever I see someone use one, I think about how hilarious it would be if, say, at the Masters you saw Tiger or Phil come to the tee box after a miraculous eagle at the 15th or something and go place their golf ball in the ball washer... and wash away! Hee, hee. That would be awesome!

And yes, I know there are no ball washers on the tee boxes at Augusta. It's just part of my sick and twisted fantasy...

I play as a single quite a bit. Slow play sucks, bad etiquette sucks, but there is one thing that irks me more than anything:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't tell me I hit a great shot unless it goes in the hole. Only I know what I'm trying to do on any given shot. Just because I outdrove you by 5 yards doesn't mean I hit a great shot. Just because I hit the green from 120 doesn't make it a great shot. For god sakes, I don't say to you, "What in god's name were you thinking?" every time you make a swing, so resist the urge to comment on mine.

I know that people are trying to be nice. I get it. But if I am 90 out and hit lob wedge to 35 feet, the last thing I want to hear is "great shot." Great for you, not necesarily great for me.

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

I play as a single quite a bit. Slow play sucks, bad etiquette sucks, but there is one thing that irks me more than anything:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't tell me I hit a great shot unless it goes in the hole. Only I know what I'm trying to do on any given shot. Just because I outdrove you by 5 yards doesn't mean I hit a great shot. Just because I hit the green from 120 doesn't make it a great shot. For god sakes, I don't say to you, "What in god's name were you thinking?" every time you make a swing, so resist the urge to comment on mine.

I know that people are trying to be nice. I get it. But if I am 90 out and hit lob wedge to 35 feet, the last thing I want to hear is "great shot." Great for you, not necesarily great for me.

Maybe they are f-ing with you? Sarcasm is seriously effective gamesmanship...I know exactly what to do when I'm playing you now!!!!!

Just kidding bro....I hate that probably more than you!!!

Biggest pet peeve of mine is slow play, esp. when the group ahead distinctly and is obviously looking at you sitting on the tee box waiting, hole after hole, and never even considers letting you play through.

+1 on the others picking up my golf balls.

When people walk in/on my putting line.

At the range it's got to be all the hackers trying to Tiger Woods it, and the ball goes in every which direction, then they laugh and do it again. I've had to dodge a few errant shots before.

I'll be devil's advocate-ish and say that this strikes me as being just a tad fussy.

I'm not a big fan of the effusive overcomplimenter, either, but he's a heckuva lot better than the super-intense guy you have to tread lightly around.

A big +1 on that one! And don't give a dirty look when I say no.

Along the same line, the toothless course curmudgeon who comes up to you and taps on your new driver (leaving a dent) with his putter and says "that a fancy driver you've got there." I guess some people like to flirt with death.

My biggest pet peeve is the guy who has a tin can Northwestern driver with dents and dummy marks all over it says "Wow, that's the new SoooperQwaddd ain't it? Ya mind if I giver 'er a shot?"

No offense if any of you play a Northwestern driver, but yes I mind very much. Buy yer own!

I'll be devil's advocate-ish and say that this strikes me as being just a tad fussy.

I'm not a big fan of the effusive overcomplimenter, either, but he's a heckuva lot better than the super-intense guy you have to tread lightly around.

I guess i'm the devil then..

Any shot on the green or in the fairway is a "nice shot" in my book.

If the the player is really good I won't say much, but I try to be positive and complimet folks if they hit what I think is a good shot.

If I bug you out on the course please let me know and I'll be silent the rest of the round.

Maybe its a byproduct of encouraging my kids even when their having a bad round.

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

I guess i'm the devil then..

Any shot on the green or in the fairway is a "nice shot" in my book.

If the the player is really good I won't say much, but I try to be positive and complimet folks if they hit what I think is a good shot.

If I bug you out on the course please let me know and I'll be silent the rest of the round.

Maybe its a byproduct of encouraging my kids even when their having a bad round.

Actually I think it is more a product of being raised right...I was taught to be a good sport in ANY situation...Getting mad because somoeone said you hit a good shot is silly. YOU ARE NOT THAT GOOD...If you were you wouldn't be paying green fees...

Fuggeddaboudit!!! It happened at Forest Park. The old man's son saw the look on my face and said "Dad, walk away, NOW!" As we say in NYC (or at least I say), "People get shot for s**t like this!"

Along the same line, the toothless course curmudgeon who comes up to you and taps on your new driver (leaving a dent) with his putter and says "that a fancy driver you've got there." I guess some people like to flirt with death.

Got to be either Forest Park or Kissena.