2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pet peeves...

Is it weird that I don't mind when someone asks me to try my driver?

Not to me. I play as a single all the time and I'm always with strangers. I think I've only twice in the last 4 months asked to try someones driver. I'm generally curious about clubs people use so sometimes when you ask them what they have, they sometimes offer to let me hit. If the specs feel like they'll fit me and I'm not worried about the result too much on this hole, I'll do it.

I've only been asked myself once, since I got a newer driver thats been helping me hit better. He hit my driver a few times(now he wants the same club) and a couple holes later I decided to try his driver(I hit it a bit low, but pretty far).

I've borrowed a wedge before when I skulled a chip into the bunker and left my bag a bit far.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides slow play, one of my biggest pet peeves are people who don't watch where there ball went. Play with one guy on a league of mine, a split second after he hits a tee shot he picks up his tee, completely taking his eye of the ball. Then he wonders why he can't find it. I don't even help him look any more. I figure if he doesn't care where it went, I don't either.

Nothing really bothers me too much on the course. I could care less about what equipment other people are playing, what their handicap is, etc. However, my biggest pet peeve on the course are MARSHALLS THAT DON'T DO THEIR FRIGGIN' JOB! So you signed up to be a marshall so you can get free golf? Fine, but if you're out there do your job and tell the slow groups to SPEED UP.

Cigarette butts ANYWHERE on the course, and as I found out today during a tournament...I have a pet peeve of guys smoking during a round. I know this is america and you can smoke out doors, but breathing cigarette smoke during my drive and and putts is down-right angering! I left after 8-holes today.

I absolutely hate finding sunflower seeds/shells on or near the green!!!!!

Cigarette butts ANYWHERE on the course, and as I found out today during a tournament...I have a pet peeve of guys smoking during a round. I know this is america and you can smoke out doors, but breathing cigarette smoke during my drive and and putts is down-right angering! I left after 8-holes today.

agreed.

Can I add chewing tobacco spit on/near the greens.

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

I forgot my biggest pet peeve that does not include other players...a golf course with bunkers that have either not been raked in 3 months or have less than 3cm of sand before hitting hard-packed clay. What is worse is going to a course for a tournament and finding these conditions. I have played 4 rounds in the eGolf tour this summer and I would NEVER return to 3 of the courses becasue of the course conditions and bunkers that are basically un-playable.

I know everyone in the tournament has the same conditions to deal with, but I would not spend my $ to ever play any of these courses on my own time. Wouldn't you think that with 100 people playing your course, most for the first time ever, you might want to make the course somewhat respectable to get some repeat play...I jsut wonder if many superintendents even care about the condition of their traps?

On letting people try my driver...

If they aren't a complete hack who might break it, I LOVE to let people try my driver. It's a Cleveland HiBore XL Tour (8 degrees of loft and 2 degrees open face). They pick it up and EVERY TIME they hit a monster slice that usually doesn't get very far off the ground. Big difference from their closed face, 13 degree loft, anti-slice model. That is usually followed by a smart a** comment from me. Makes my day every time!

• 2 weeks later...
On letting people try my driver...

If they aren't a complete hack who might break it, I LOVE to let people try my driver. It's a Cleveland HiBore XL Tour (8 degrees of loft and 2 degrees open face). They pick it up and EVERY TIME they hit a monster slice that usually doesn't get very far off the ground. Big difference from their closed face, 13 degree loft, anti-slice model. That is usually followed by a smart a** comment from me. Makes my day every time!

Well.. THIS must be my biggest pet peeve. People who laugh or make smart-a** remarks to others because they aren't up to their level of play. Not all of us are the next golf prodigy.

Slow play must be my other pet peeve. I can take a little bit of slow play because, hey, it's just a game and some are still learning. But sometimes slow play just gets to me. Last Sunday I was waiting for the foursome in front of me to tee off when they turned around to and assured me that they were not slow players and that they would "definitely" be playing through the group in front of them. They were playing from the back tees. The first two of them to tee off hit very nice shots out into the middle of the fairway. The next hit a huge slice about 50 yards out and 100 yards right. The last in the foursome hit a _really_ fat shot that went about 20 yards to the next set of tees. I teed off at 7:50 AM and did not finish a SHORT, NINE HOLE course until 10:30AM. Usually this course only takes me around 1h 15m - 1h 30m. I understand they all may be learning the game, but don't play from the back tees and assure me that your group will play fast when half of your group are hackers.

-Kevin

Quick question to all...

Since this is in the "Rules of Golf and Etiquette" forum, how do you resolve a pet peeve of SLOW PLAY? Since most of the people that I see play fast cheat. I mean, if you play by the rules, unless you are a sub 20 handicap, you must be cheating if you are playing quickly.

Unless you all just don't want hackers on the course? The rules are very specific, hit OB...provisional... hit out again...provisional again... That takes time.

Granted, the guys I play with really piss me off because they don't play ready golf. I can literally hit like 3 balls in the time it takes them to hit one. Like last week, I was playing with a foursome, and me and my partner stopped the cart girl for some drinks. Well, my drive was 30 - 40 yards ahead of the other two ...but my partners was behind theirs by a few yards. They actually waited for us... I was wicked pissed. I just wish people would hit when they get to their ball if they are ready. I don't mind someone looking over your shoulder to see if the person behind is ready to hit, but if they are not...JUST HIT.

Other than ready golf, there are only two ways for people to play faster....be very good at the game or cheat.

Here's one I see all the time on the muni courses..

Guys who hit a crappy drive on a long par-5, leaving them well out of range of hitting it in two, waiting for the next group to clear the green, thinking "I'm going for it!" with their 3w that'll still leave them 30yrds short even if they pure it. Granted, crazy things happen, but really, play the percentages and keep up the friggin pace.

Here's one I see all the time on the muni courses..

Guys who hit a crappy drive on a long par-5, leaving them well out of range of hitting it in two, waiting for the next group to clear the green, thinking "I'm going for it!" with their 3w that'll still leave them 30yrds short even if they pure it. Granted, crazy things happen, but really, play the percentages and keep up the friggin pace.

So you've seen me play?

What percentage would you want me to play, if you and your kids are on the green and I was hitting into you?

Say I can only make it 5% of the time, should I hit or wait?

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

Let's see:

People who stand behind the tee box in my line of sight or too close to me when I am hitting.

People in my line of sight when putting.

People who can't stand still when I am chipping/putting.

People walking on my line.

Cigarette butts or garbage on the course.

People who don't repair their ball marks

People who ask to try my clubs (that I don't know)

People who don't wait back when they are in a cart and we are teeing off.

People who mark their score while still on the green.

People who feel compelled to stop for 15 min in between 9's.

People who never put the flag back in, despite being the first to hole out.

People who never watch where there ball goes (and its rarely straight).

People who don't fix their ballmarks - take a hint, if I am fixing 5-10 per hole, how bout fixing yours.

thanks. I feel better now.

You'd be surprised. I am 6'3" and around 275lbs, and people still find me very "approachable" for some reason. I hope this goatee I am growing does the trick.

The incident I was referring to in my earlier post happened in my second year of golf. I was probably a 34 hc at the time but I had a particularly great day for me (shot a 93). I was playing with a threesome and one of the guys who claimed to be a 16hc shot a 112 with his Walmart "bag in a box" set. He mutters under his breathe, but in earshot of everyone, "Maybe if I had rich boy's clubs I would have shot better then him today." His friends were very apologetic because up until that point we were having a great time and getting along famously. If that wasn't enough, when we walked to the parking lot with our bags the same guy pointed out a black 2 door Mercedes coupe and asked me if that was my car, because "that's what people like you drive". I laughed and walked over to my wife's beat up 2000 Rav-4 and went home.

Unbelievable!!! What a jacka...! :clapping:

Let's see:

People who stand behind the tee box in my line of sight or too close to me when I am hitting.

Can we play too...do you want us at the clubhouse while you hit?

People who feel compelled to stop for 15 min in between 9's.

My course and others allow for a10 minutes turn...I hate people who think they are going to "cut-in" while I am using my 10 minutes to grab a drink at the clubhuse...or drop a quick twozie since I can't do that on the course.

People who never put the flag back in, despite being the first to hole out.

This one can drive me insane during a round. :clapping:

I don't have any "pet peeves" people can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't tear up the course or endanger me; things in those catagories are not pet peeves...

I can play slow, fast or in between it doesn't matter, I can't go any faster than the group in front of me, why let it bother me?

What someone else has or doesn't have, uses or doesn't use has zero effect on me. I don't pay attention and I don't care.

I like to meet and talk with all kinds of people, I am glad not everyone is a robot.

I can enjoy playing with people who are really bad golfers more than some really good players. I don't care how you play just how you conduct yourself as a person. Either way, it isn't going to ruin my day.

Earl Woods used to jingle change in his pocket, move, talk and commit just about every infraction mentioned here, Tiger seems to have made it through it OK. When I am playing with these folks, I have fun with it, make it a challenge...

Remember, you are not on the PGA tour... you do not do this for a living... you supposedly play golf to have fun. If these little things cause you to not have fun, quit playing golf.

I love to play for money with people who have a lot of pet peeves...

Let's see:

of course you can play. Just please don't stand where I see you in my backswing. I don't think that is too much to ask. And if i am hitting, be nice and stand still.

As for the clubhouse, 10 min is the absolute max. 5 is more like it.

-Junior tournament golf where the kid's parents are doing all the work and even carrying their kid's bag. if your son is 14 years old, he can carry his own darn bag!!!

-Courses that have a creek running through the fairway of a hole with a blind tee shot. They should at least let you know there is something there. Hit a beautiful drive the other day to find at the end of my blind tee shot there was a nice running creek going through 2 fairways.

-People that try to peer into my bag and see what I'm playing although they're trying to be discrete about it. They try to peer into the bag from a distance. Come'on dude, your head is rolling around like a bobblehead doll, you think I can't tell you're trying to see what's in my bag?

just to name a couple....

Earl Woods used to jingle change in his pocket, move, talk and commit just about every infraction mentioned here, Tiger seems to have made it through it OK. When I am playing with these folks, I have fun with it, make it a challenge...

Remember, you are not on the PGA tour... you do not do this for a living... you supposedly play golf to have fun. If these little things cause you to not have fun, quit playing golf.

Tiger made it through ok, because now when he plays, he plays with guys who know the etiquette, and would never dream(unless they're Balllesteros) of doing that crap. It's just bush league.

What it really is is something that tells me what kind of person I am playing with, and yes the game is to be fun, and frankly, I won't waste my time with someone like that. When I'm playing a competitive round that is different, but a regular round, please.

It's the number one reason why I cringe when I play with people who don't think playing by the rules is important. The argument is that if they cheat it doens't affect me. If they can't be bothered to follow the rules, though, how can I expect them to follow etiquette, which does affect me?

I have a driving range pet peeve. Whenever I can, I practice early, before the range gets crowded. I like a quiet, peaceful environment for practice. So I set myself up, distancing myself from everyone else. Along comes some clueless moron that parks himself RIGHT NEXT TO ME. You've got all this room and you have to get right next to me. Drives me nuts! I pick up and move.

Let's see:

of course you can play. Just please don't stand where I see you in my backswing. I don't think that is too much to ask. And if i am hitting, be nice and stand still.

As for the clubhouse, 10 min is the absolute max. 5 is more like it.

You will never make it on the pro tour... there are people EVERYWHERE and even though they hold up those signs, people still move, not to mention what's happening on other holes.

I think some of these peeves are ...lame. I mean, if you can't hit because someone is standing in your line of site, that's just crazy. Walking in your line... well, I know this bugs people, not sure why. I even think the standing on someone's line is kind of bogus. I mean, was this etiquette created because of cheaters (who would dig their cleats, or try and mess up the green), cuz I think it's a little weird. I mean, people are walking all over the green all day, balls are slamming into the green all day...why is someone standing on my line bad?

I just think many of the peeves are mental issues you (everyone not just the poster) need to overcome.

BTW, speaking of stopping between 9's. I have been at courses that offer a free lunch, me and my gang went in and probably were there like 45 min to an hour. Is that wrong? Also, yesterday I was playing by myself and there was a father and son in front of me and another group (of 2 I think) in front of them. Well, this father son duo were going sooo slow. I mean, they were off the tee box and looking for a ball OB when I was walking up. I stood on that tee box for like 10 min...as they looked for that ball, hit more OB, hit a bunch of army golf shots.... anyway, after 9, I just went straight to 10 and played on. Was I supposed to wait? Plus, I figured if I could get ahead of them, they would be more relaxed. As I was sitting in my cart on 8 about 75 feet back waiting for them to hit. They both got up and shank their balls about 50 feet into the OB fence. Then the kid did it again, but at least this one went 140 yards or so. Anyway, I figured it was the pressure of having me around that made them play even worst. But to be clear, they were playing really bad anyway.

So should I have not skipped them at the turn?

You should skip at the turn definately, just as long as they are not going to have to wait on you now. If there is plenty of room on the back 9 I never have an issue with a group jumping in...especially since I am ususally the one jumping in...but only if the group that you just cut in front of never has to wait on you for the back 9. If it is a weekend, and the course is packed to the rim, then no jumping or skipping, just accept that the 10-minute turn is a part of the round. It does bug me, but it is a course rule.

I could write a book on this stuff

Is my ball in your way? If its on the green and its not your turn mark it. If I am chipping or pitching and you are up to your ball mark it I dont care if its in my line.

People walking in my line it does not matter with soft spikes , on these greens , it matters!

Laying the pin down behind the hole I dont want to see it

Talking mumbling or whispering, once I start my routine when I pull the damn club out of the bag it starts shut the hell up. Or on the green when I pick up my mark

Its my time I am trying to think shut the hell up

Hurrying to get behind me so you can see my shot

moving when I am hitting (oh could you see that?)

When people do these things I tell them everytime

Look up ***** in the dictionary theres my picture I know

I have been told that but golf is important to me every time every shot

Being nice when people do this crap over and over is not important to me at all.

Usually I go off about the third time , cures them everytime . I enjoy the rest of my round and oh well they swear never to play with me again

But most of them do and they find that if they mind simple etiquette rules and shoot 70 or 100 I am a joy to play with

Ken

No one should ever touch your balls without permission.

Slow play.

The group rushing up behind you on the tee and clicking the brake in your back swing.

Ok, the brake click drives me crazy. It also drives me crazy when someone hovers their electric cart with the accelerator. I'm just waiting for the click the whole time I'm setting up. It's even worse than the click to me.

I also get a lot of "this ball has 2 letters on it..."

Yes, those are my initials, as you are already aware. But sure enough that's not your ball, so leave it be!

... When chipping and the guy who is away sets up and then stands up so see if he is really away and then goes through his set up again. I stand by the green with my wedge on my shoulders just to avoid this one.

... When someone stands right behind me on my target line on a full shot. Like 8 feet behind my ball. It sucks telling someone to move to the side.

... When someone says "good ball" before my drive has gotten a chance to hook/slice/go straight. Then they don't watch it and say, "where'd it go?"

... My buddy who says "it's gotta go" on every one of my shots!

Tiger made it through ok, because now when he plays, he plays with guys who know the etiquette, and would never dream(unless they're Balllesteros) of doing that crap. It's just bush league.

What it really is is something that tells me what kind of person I am playing with, and yes the game is to be fun, and frankly, I won't waste my time with someone like that. When I'm playing a competitive round that is different, but a regular round, please.

It's the number one reason why I cringe when I play with people who don't think playing by the rules is important. The argument is that if they cheat it doens't affect me. If they can't be bothered to follow the rules, though, how can I expect them to follow etiquette, which does affect me?

Just to make sure you are clear, I never do this stuff... and I always play by the rules even when I practice.

My point is... Tiger is as good as he is because he can shut this stuff out, so can I. In fact, I almost relish it, guys that do it; do it because they are weak, they know they can't beat your game so they have to go to this crap... once they start, I know I have them because whatever they do it isn't going to affect me, I am in control all the time. When they start it and they soon realize it isn't working, they give up... their game usually falls apart; that's the way this type is wired. Got my point now?

If you are letting other peoples behavior or actions ruin your day, well... maybe you have some room for improvement. Mental toughness is just as important as a good swing in my book. This is probably even more true in the business world than the golf course.. I am not going to seek idiots out to play with, but if you compete, you often don't get to pick your playing partners.

Oh and guys that cheat (in a casual round), I just love to keep their score on my card... at the end of the round ritual when everyone asks what everyone else shot, I just say "Bob, I've got you for a 85... right?" Forces them to own up... If there is money on the line or some type of competition... I don't see a lot of cheats, but love catching them. I am responsible for more than a handful of DQ's for cheating opponents over the years.

I always have fun playing golf, no matter what. Except for rain... forgot that one... I don't play in the rain...

Maybe Earl should have taken a camera and snapped the shutter on Tiger's backswing to teach him to deal with that.

Maybe Earl should have taken a camera and snapped the shutter on Tiger's backswing to teach him to deal with that.

I agree. I'm so sick of hearing that story because either it never really happened, or it didn't help Tiger at all. He seems to be annoyed by every slight noise or movement.

I agree. I'm so sick of hearing that story because either it never really happened, or it didn't help Tiger at all. He seems to be annoyed by every slight noise or movement.

Neither of you obviously have ever seen Tiger play in person (and are haters)... his galleries are total zoos... people moving, pushing, shoving, talking, jumping up and down to get a peek... amazing he can keep his concentration. When you see him stop or back off, it is only when the EXTREMELY CLUELESS do their thing. If he stopped for every noise, movement or camera he'd never hit a shot...

Earl's change jingling, coughing, talking; all that is very true I personally know 2 people who used to play with them at the Navy course (Destroyer) in Seal Beach every week. He did it, you can forget about doubting that anymore.

In contrast, I find it funny when Joe Rabbitears shanks one and then blames some noise from 3 holes away... concentration of a gnat...