2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Added weight to Driver- Works great now

racingdc9

What did I actually do?
I just recently had the Diamana WB 63x5ct - stiff installed into my TM R510TP 9.5* head. Length is 44.5" and the swing weight was like C9xxxx.

Each time I would hit with it the ball flight would be pretty high with a fade. Now I play a fade anyways on my drivers so I don't mind it but it was flying too high. I know that the WB is supposed to be a low flight shaft. So, I decided to add some lead tape onto the driver head to bring up the swing weight by 2 points. I haven't had it measured but i'm thinking it's around a D2 right now after the tape was added.

I went to play yesterday, and OMG it was totally night and day. I had more control, ball flight was lower and it had a slight fade(before it was border line slice), even my golfing buddy noticed the difference.

I added the weight towards the back of the head but in the middle so I don't get fade or draw bias but I thought by doing this, the ball would launch higher, am i wrong? or just misunderstood what I've heard before?

I really dislike the look of the tape on the head, can I send the head off to get it hotmelted to add about the same amount of weight to it(evenly distributed) and have the same results? Or does the hotmelt have to be concentrated towards the rear of the head like how I have the lead tape right now?

Also, I have a 08 TBTP 9.5* with the OEM Diamana 65 stiff in it. Right now I kind of hit high with it also, I want to cut it down to 44.5"(stock 45.5) and bring the swing weight to about D2(stock D3.5) Will I have similar results?

-Tommy

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding weight softens the shaft incrementally. Little bit of weight, little bit of flex. You obviously increased total weight slightly, as well as increased the 'feel' of clubhead weight, which may be helping you in feeling it throughout the swing.

Then again, it could be a mental thing, and you're in the 'honeymoon' stage. :russian_roulette:

If it's working, I'd be loath to fiddle with it.

If the tape bothers you, you could shift it to below the back edge of the club (and thus out of sight at address) without any detriment to the performance of the club.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

That would bother me (the silver foil from the lead tape). If it doesn't bother u when u address it, then continue to go w/it. Me, I would grab a black marker, paint or nail polish & paint it. Or, I would go to my local clubmaker & see how he can increase the head weight to match what I've done w/the lead tape to try to get the same effect/results.

I agree it's a swing/mental thing. With that light shaft, concentrating more weight rearwards should have softened it. You're probably feeling the weight and turning down your hands and getting a lower ballflight.

Why did you go with a 63g shaft? I've got 83g WB/BB and 80g VTLTs in my drivers, which are weighted between E2 and E3. (Even had my r7 up to F3.....talk about taking the left side out of play....)

If the tape bothers, get it hot melted. I like tape because you can fiddle around with it at the drop of a hat/whim (and yes get it out of site). Good luck.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Sooo, i'm just a nut job, haha. The tape doesn't bother me that much, so I"ll leave it for now. If anything I might just move them down to below where the rubber plug is.

What exactly do you mean softened it? as in it's not a stiff flex anymore?

I guess same thing with the TBTP then? just cut it to 44.5 and try it out, and add weight if need to?

Sooo, i'm just a nut job, haha.

Damn straight!! Aren't we all!?!?!?!?

Just plays softer- more deflection. But probably didn't change it. If you want to hit low fades, go to an X !!! :russian_roulette:

Put a piece of reminder tape on your TB grip to make it play 44.5 (don't cheat play it at 44.5). Play a round with it at 44.5 w/w out tape to see which is better before you cut it down. Good luck.

P.S. Just going to an 83g WB made my Rapture a D6/D8 (I think) before tape.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Sooo, i'm just a nut job, haha. The tape doesn't bother me that much, so I"ll leave it for now. If anything I might just move them down to below where the rubber plug is.

What exactly do you mean softened it? as in it's not a stiff flex anymore?

I guess same thing with the TBTP then? just cut it to 44.5 and try it out, and add weight if need to?

a little black shapie will work wonders

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

I just want to say that:

This is one of the prove that swingweight is as important factor as other thing in regards building the whole club properly. At the right swing weight, the feel of the club will improve...thus your timing and tempo is at the right spot to which will lead into giving you an easier way to get the right swing pat and attack angle.

As long as you understand the whole aspect building a club properly, You should have more fun on the course playing this game.

Good luck!

joe

Could also have been an indication of shaft flex being the change that made his swing improve - it's impossible to know without a blind test.

If you added 6g of weight to the head to bring the swingweight up 3 points, you also softened the shaft by 3 cpm or 1/3 of a flex.

If indeed you are swinging the club differently because of the added feel - cause by the softer shaft or heavier head or both - and not simply having a better day than when you hit the ball high right, then take the tape off and see if the old swing mechanics come back...

-t

Actually I added 2 swingweight points, so about 4 grams. I don't think i'm exactly at D2 maybe tad bit less. I'll get it weighed this monday.

I've pretty much been hitting the driver the same after I got it reshafted with the WB so(high and right), I really don't think it was just a good day of swinging the clubs. I have a friendly bet tomorrow between some friends and I and I'll take off the tape afterwards and see how it goes.

• 7 years later...

Just for information: Had a guy walk in to the shop today wanted me to cut down and re weight his driver....didn't want lead tape or powder in the club but wanted me to hot melt it...not in my play book...anyone know how this is done or what you need to do it??? Actually when I cut down a driver a new 25g grip on the butt end usually helps...

[quote name='joey3108' timestamp='1214076742' post='1130128']
I just want to say that:

This is one of the prove that swingweight is as important factor as other thing in regards building the whole club properly. At the right swing weight, the feel of the club will improve...thus your timing and tempo is at the right spot to which will lead into giving you an easier way to get the right swing pat and attack angle.

As long as you understand the whole aspect building a club properly, You should have more fun on the course playing this game.

Good luck!

joe
[/quote]agree, swing weight is a matter of feel and being able to control the club throughout the swing. I believe most amatuers play with clubs that are too heavy for them.

[quote name='racingdc9' timestamp='1214063148' post='1129907']
I added the weight towards the back of the head but in the middle so I don't get fade or draw bias but I thought by doing this, the ball would launch higher, am i wrong? or just misunderstood what I've heard before?
[/quote]

IF enough weight was added to actually move the C.G. around you'd be correct about the ball flight behavior for different weight placement locations - but the amount of weight you are talking about isn't really enough to move the c.g. enough to effect ball flight for those reasons.

I really dislike the look of the tape on the head, can I send the head off to get it hotmelted to add about the same amount of weight to it(evenly distributed) and have the same results? Or does the hotmelt have to be concentrated towards the rear of the head like how I have the lead tape right now?
[/quote]

It's probably best to have the hotmelt placed in a similar location to the tape - but that is because it will have the same impact on the SW and feel of the club - not because of any effect on the head c.g. location.

Also, I have a 08 TBTP 9.5* with the OEM Diamana 65 stiff in it. Right now I kind of hit high with it also, I want to cut it down to 44.5"(stock 45.5) and bring the swing weight to about D2(stock D3.5) Will I have similar results?
[/quote]

It certainly would be a good idea to cut it down to the length you found works well with the first club and you might start with the same SW but with a different shaft and head it would be best to play around with the head weight with lead tape first before committing to any hotmelt.