2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie 2.5 or Bushnell Medalist Question

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My preference is a rangefinder...as you know exactly where the point of measurement is to. Also you have a 'scan' mode where you can see all distances near your point of interest. Another point is that you visually see what is ahead of you...so you can better see whether there is a slope to the area. Accuracy is within 1yd...while GPS seems to have some distance measurement dispersion...especially as you get closer to the green...which can make a big difference when selecting your pitch shot. Lastly....so many courses already have GPS systems...no need to buy another GPS system.

You might want to refer to the rangefinder/gps forum at this website for more info.

I have the SkyCaddie. For one, I hate the time it takes to laser targets. Second, I hate how it makes you look like a golf nerd (in my opinion). Third, I absolutely HATE when people laser targets and then shank shots again and again.

A quick glance at my GPS and I know exactly what to do, and it takes 5 seconds.

Coming from someone who's had both, just get the GPS. It's way faster because it gives you everything you need with just a glance.

i found it took alot of time compared to the GPS. I look at the GPS for virtually every shot. I don't know anyone who hauls the laser out to shoot yardages to and carry yardages for fairway bunkers.

Get GPS.

In doing some research either of these products seem to get favorable reviews. I'm leaning towards the rangefinder to avoid monthly fees, download issues and Skycaddy's less than favorable customer service. Any input will be appreciated.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

I owned a Skycaddie SG4 (or was it SG3?) for a year and used it regularly. When it was time for renewal of my contract I decided not to re-up and I sold the unit. If you're going to use it for most shots on most holes of every round, consider a GPS instead of a laser out of courtesy to the other people on the course. It is indeed much faster to glance down at a screen hanging from your bag or Speed Cart and get the info you need at a glance as you're pulling the club. And the Skycaddie with Intelligreen is IMHO the only GPS unit worth having, I would not for a moment consider one that gives distances to fixed points only (without regard for green geometry from the point of view of the incoming shot) nor do I consider doing ones own mapping to be a worthwhile use of time that could otherwise be spent playing or practicing.

That's the upside and it is considerable. After a couple hundred rounds on my home course my "need" for distance information has gotten sporadic, maybe a dozen shots per round. And there are some non-negligible downsides to the Skycaddie. I did not find it to be an entirely reliable device. First off, even with fresh batteries and giving it 10 minutes or so before teeing off to acquire satellite signals and so forth it would occasionally (one time in ten maybe) get initialized in some kind of poor-signal mode and be slow to update, unstable in it yardages and prone to blanking out altogether any time I was near trees or other obstructions. Usually by shutting it down and putting it somewhere stationary for a few minutes it would start back up in the good performance mode and work fine the rest of the day. But at one point it got to where it would not acquire yardages at all and I had to do some elaborate clearing and reinstalling of firmware or some such that took two hours due to SkyGolf's very poor Windows/WWW hybrid "software". Also, even when operating properly it would often take a minute or more after I stopped walking to settle down to the real number. This was usually obvious because I'd be standing inside a 150 marker and it would say "176" or similar for a while before creeping down to "144" or whatever the real number was. Typically this happened once or twice a round but some days not at all. Annoying and it temporarily offsets the time-saving advantage of an always-on distance readout.

And finally the map of my home course (a "4-star" one) was nonetheless missing several layup distances that come into play for me. No big deal since I know the course but when paying a yearly fee for the maps I'd prefer they be of the very highest quality. Some courses I used it on had much more complete mapping, not sure why my club's course didn't get the same detail. But I would still use a SkyCaddie if I frequently played one or two rounds at unusual (to me) courses where I'd need/want dozens of yardages per round, some of which would possibly save penalty strokes or recovery shots. It it were twice as realiable I'd still have mine and if there were no monthly fee I'd still be using it on occasion regardless of the few little glitches I mention. But glitches plus ongoing cost plus playing one course for 90% of my rounds meant letting it go to someone who would get more use from it.

At some point I will buy a Bushnell rangefinder with Pinseeker. For practicing and for the handful of times in a round when I can't guesstimate the distance of a short approach shot I think it would be worth having even if you also own a GPS. So when I have a few dollars unspoken-for and find a decent price on a Bushnell Scout 1000 I'll probably put one in the bag. Unlike the SkyCaddie with its monthly fees and quick battery drainage, the rangefinder seems worth having even for very occasional use.

In doing some research either of these products seem to get favorable reviews. I'm leaning towards the rangefinder to avoid monthly fees, download issues and Skycaddy's less than favorable customer service. Any input will be appreciated.

Look into the Golf Guru (plenty of info on these forums). Very accurate (uses 16 sats vs. 12 for SCaddie) -- syncs very quickly. No annual fees. I paid $230 for mine. Has Intelligreen for accurate yardages (F/C/B). Rechargable batteries included. Smaller/thinner than the SCaddie 2.5 (I store mine in my back pocket and it's very easy to pull it out whenever needed). A friend of me has a SC 2.5 and he often leaves his in the cart (cart path only holes or tee shots) and asks me for yardage ...

I owned a Skycaddie SG4 (or was it SG3?) for a year and used it regularly. When it was time for renewal of my contract I decided not to re-up and I sold the unit. If you're going to use it for most shots on most holes of every round, consider a GPS instead of a laser out of courtesy to the other people on the course. It is indeed much faster to glance down at a screen hanging from your bag or Speed Cart and get the info you need at a glance as you're pulling the club. And the Skycaddie with Intelligreen is IMHO the only GPS unit worth having, I would not for a moment consider one that gives distances to fixed points only (without regard for green geometry from the point of view of the incoming shot) nor do I consider doing ones own mapping to be a worthwhile use of time that could otherwise be spent playing or practicing.

That's the upside and it is considerable. After a couple hundred rounds on my home course my "need" for distance information has gotten sporadic, maybe a dozen shots per round. And there are some non-negligible downsides to the Skycaddie. I did not find it to be an entirely reliable device. First off, even with fresh batteries and giving it 10 minutes or so before teeing off to acquire satellite signals and so forth it would occasionally (one time in ten maybe) get initialized in some kind of poor-signal mode and be slow to update, unstable in it yardages and prone to blanking out altogether any time I was near trees or other obstructions. Usually by shutting it down and putting it somewhere stationary for a few minutes it would start back up in the good performance mode and work fine the rest of the day. But at one point it got to where it would not acquire yardages at all and I had to do some elaborate clearing and reinstalling of firmware or some such that took two hours due to SkyGolf's very poor Windows/WWW hybrid "software". Also, even when operating properly it would often take a minute or more after I stopped walking to settle down to the real number. This was usually obvious because I'd be standing inside a 150 marker and it would say "176" or similar for a while before creeping down to "144" or whatever the real number was. Typically this happened once or twice a round but some days not at all. Annoying and it temporarily offsets the time-saving advantage of an always-on distance readout.

And finally the map of my home course (a "4-star" one) was nonetheless missing several layup distances that come into play for me. No big deal since I know the course but when paying a yearly fee for the maps I'd prefer they be of the very highest quality. Some courses I used it on had much more complete mapping, not sure why my club's course didn't get the same detail. But I would still use a SkyCaddie if I frequently played one or two rounds at unusual (to me) courses where I'd need/want dozens of yardages per round, some of which would possibly save penalty strokes or recovery shots. It it were twice as realiable I'd still have mine and if there were no monthly fee I'd still be using it on occasion regardless of the few little glitches I mention. But glitches plus ongoing cost plus playing one course for 90% of my rounds meant letting it go to someone who would get more use from it.

At some point I will buy a Bushnell rangefinder with Pinseeker. For practicing and for the handful of times in a round when I can't guesstimate the distance of a short approach shot I think it would be worth having even if you also own a GPS. So when I have a few dollars unspoken-for and find a decent price on a Bushnell Scout 1000 I'll probably put one in the bag. Unlike the SkyCaddie with its monthly fees and quick battery drainage, the rangefinder seems worth having even for very occasional use.

Sounds like my SkyCaddie lately, I have the SG3 with the batteries. By the way, using fesh batteries seem to help. It chews through them, that's for sure.

How did you re-initialize the firmware? Where did you find the firmware software, there's nothing there on the Skycaddie website...let me know, thanks!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Man, I can't tell you how I finally got it to work. Somewhere in the SkyCaddie online software I found an option that wiped it and reinitialized with "updated" firmware which was really the same version as my SkyCaddie but I wanted to replace it with a clean copy. IIRC, what I did was use something in the SkyCaddie's menu itself to wipe it out and then I was able to convince the online software thing to download the firmware again.

Or something like that. It was actually more than two hours if you include all the times I got up and paced around cursing and then started over. Wish I had kept notes, I'd be glad to share them. Ultimately I found it by trial-and-error. Ain't it amazing how they can get the hardware right and can map all those thousands of courses but then somehow they fumble the part where they give you software to download and initialize the darned thing.

P.S. Mine was the SG3 with batteries and all bets are off if the batteries, say, more than half dead when you start it up for the day.

I used to own the skycaddie 2.0. I sold it and purchased the Medalist.

They both do the job and they both have positive and negatives.

I to did not want to have to pay annual fees and I did not like that you could not save the courses that had been downloaded.

What I like about the rangefinder is that it works anywhere in the world.

It does take a bit longer to get your distances with the rangefinder but where I play I am always waiting on the group ahead so it does not slow down my play

In a perfect world I would probably have both.

Good luck!

get the GPS it's quick and easy to the tee. I got the 2.5 and its one of the best gift I got for Fathers day. Like they say GPS is for the course and Bushnell for the range.

Actually, all of the courses I've download that have a range have the range mapped out as well. I may just be lucky but I wouldn't think that Ohio courses would be mapped any better than anywhere else. They are all 4 star sky courses.

Man, I can't tell you how I finally got it to work. Somewhere in the SkyCaddie online software I found an option that wiped it and reinitialized with "updated" firmware which was really the same version as my SkyCaddie but I wanted to replace it with a clean copy. IIRC, what I did was use something in the SkyCaddie's menu itself to wipe it out and then I was able to convince the online software thing to download the firmware again.

Or something like that. It was actually more than two hours if you include all the times I got up and paced around cursing and then started over. Wish I had kept notes, I'd be glad to share them. Ultimately I found it by trial-and-error. Ain't it amazing how they can get the hardware right and can map all those thousands of courses but then somehow they fumble the part where they give you software to download and initialize the darned thing.

P.S. Mine was the SG3 with batteries and all bets are off if the batteries, say, more than half dead when you start it up for the day.

Thanks man, I'll try it later. I noticed that this started happening about 4 months ago, since they automatically downloaded a new firmware version over the stock firmware. One of the improvement was that the pointer for the intelligreen moves faster but now this slow "countdown" to the correct yardage reared it's head and started p*ssing me off. Doesn't happen all the time but I do notice it more and more lately...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

can anybody about the new taylormade fw models??

Sounds like my SkyCaddie lately, I have the SG3 with the batteries. By the way, using fesh batteries seem to help. It chews through them, that's for sure.

How did you re-initialize the firmware? Where did you find the firmware software, there's nothing there on the Skycaddie website...let me know, thanks!

I had the SG3 for over a year. All I can say is the SG3 is complete GARBAGE compared to the SG2.5!!! The SG2.5 has a much better form factor. The SG3 w/o rechargeable batteries seemed like a great idea but it's not. A new set lasts 2 rounds max if you're lucky. The GPS lock is very poor and sometimes failed completely. The 2.5 is like night and day. On a full charge you can play 3 rounds or more. GPS lock takes 2-3 minutes at most and stays locked on for the whole round and updates rapidly throughout each hole. I have never used a laser but I just don't see how it could be better. With GPS you get near exact yardage to bunkers, hazards, carry and layup distances. Best of all you get distance to the front and back of each green which is invaluable to me. I just don't see getting that from a laser.

I love my SG4, it has been very reliable and it is quick and easy to use when playing. The only down fall is it doesn't shoot yardages for practice. I love to practice and being on the road for work, I have the opportunity to practice at a lot of different facilities. I tend to do my work at the end of the range and like to know the yardages I am practicing. For that reason only I'm going to get a rangefinder to compliment my skycaddie.

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

I don't see any value to yardages at a driving range/practice facility.

If a player is warming up before a round he is stretching out and getting loose, finding a rhythm.

At other times, working on swing mechanics he is there to strike solid shots, work on accuarcy, trajectory etc...

It means absolutely nothing whether a given target is 60 or 140 or 153 or 127 or 235 yards etc...

I love my SG4, it has been very reliable and it is quick and easy to use when playing. The only down fall is it doesn't shoot yardages for practice. I love to practice and being on the road for work, I have the opportunity to practice at a lot of different facilities. I tend to do my work at the end of the range and like to know the yardages I am practicing. For that reason only I'm going to get a rangefinder to compliment my skycaddie.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

I have said it numerous time on here, but if you want an exact yardage to the pin you need to go with the range finder. I just don't understand paying that much money for something that will give me a rough idea of the yardage. I can pace of a yardage from a sprinkler head for free. Now you might say that you game isn't that exact, but the difference of 2 or 3 yards can mean a lot.

I don't see any value to yardages at a driving range/practice facility.

If a player is warming up before a round he is stretching out and getting loose, finding a rhythm.

At other times, working on swing mechanics he is there to strike solid shots, work on accuarcy, trajectory etc...

It means absolutely nothing whether a given target is 60 or 140 or 153 or 127 or 235 yards etc...

The best players in the world spend hours with their caddie standing 64 or 122 or 98 or 114 yards from them on the driving range and then playing shots at those specific distances. I think they've probably got a good idea of what is the most useful thing to be working on. I can't afford a caddie but I can certainly move around on the range to give myself certain distances to certain flags and try to hit shots to those specific targets. If I'm the only person on the range I can pace it off but otherwise a laser will give me the yardages. It does me no good to stand there and perfect my ability to hit the ball exactly the right distance to the "yellow flag" if I don't know how far I'm standing from the "yellow flag".

There is nothing in golf more important than being able to hit a wedge or short-iron shot exactly the correct distance. That don't come for free, it takes a lot of practice. Sam Snead used to say that he could tell a player from a pretender with one shot. Just take the guy out into a empty field, hand him a 9-iron and tell him to drop a ball and hit it 125 yards. Any direction, just hit it exactly 125 yards. A real player will get it right on the first shot he's a player, a hacker won't come close.

I have said it numerous time on here, but if you want an exact yardage to the pin you need to go with the range finder. I just don't understand paying that much money for something that will give me a rough idea of the yardage. I can pace of a yardage from a sprinkler head for free. Now you might say that you game isn't that exact, but the difference of 2 or 3 yards can mean a lot.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the most accurate way to get yardage to a flag is with a laser. But that's not to say that other information isn't helpful.

What a GPS does is give you exact yardages to the front and back edge of the green and to certain hazards and other features. And does it quickly. The idea is to give you the yardage you can get from marked sprinkler heads and a good yardage book except do it more quickly (no pacing around) and do it even on courses with no marked sprinkler heads and/or no yardage book. The idea is speed and convenience, not necessarily accuracy.

A laser is still faster than looking for a sprinkler head, IMHO it is at its best inside of 120 yards when you are doing partial swings with different wedges, once you get your distances down it will do wonders for your short game. Plus I change batteries once every 3 months or so and I can find out how far in front the group ahead is to determine when it is safe to hit.

Go with a GPS for sure- I think the laser rangefinder is a dinosaur. Also there are some next generations of GPS just hitting (like UPro and Sonocadie) that give an incredible overview of the hole and distances to any important point... and you can do it at a glance, about 5 seconds max. without any aiming and shooting etc. (Make sure your choise has a big database of courses and watch out for annual fees on some, but not all, of these things though)

The idea is speed and convenience, not necessarily accuracy.

I am intersted in knowing the time difference between looking a gps and shooting a flag from say 150 or on a Par 3. 20-30 seconds?

I'd say 20 seconds at most if the flag is in the hole and you're not having a problem with wind. Probably 15-20 seconds if you keep the laser right at hand on your bag or in your pocket. Of course on a breezy day it might take a little longer...keep in mind I've never owned a laser but guys I play with every week use them, including using them right beside me while I was using my SkyCaddie.

On the Par 3 example in particular it seems like you always have to wait for the group ahead to put the flag back in but that can happen on the 4's and 5's as well. The pace just always backs up at the Par 3's.

Of course it's sort of apples versus oranges anyway. The GPS isn't going to give you an exact distance to the flag anyway. If that's the most important thing (assuming you don't have a tournament-style pin sheet) you'll need laser instead of GPS anyway. The "speed and convenience" comes from getting an overview of the the front and back of green distance, carry over greenside bunkers and so forth all at one go without having to shoot various distances.

Let me tell you, playing with a guy who wants to laser three or four points on every approach shot (BTW lasering edges of greens and so forth is much slower/trickier than hitting the flag) is going to make for a long and annoying day. That's the guy who needs a GPS instead of a laser. Or he needs to spend a day with his laser making a pro-style yardage book with all that stuff rather than trying to do it in real time.

So if what you want is the distance to the flag for every approach shot inside, let's say, 180 yards...then you ought to have a Pinseeker laser. Take the 15-20 seconds to shoot each of those distances and try to do it while you're waiting for your turn to hit. The GPS can't give you exact to-flag yardage and it can't really save you much time on just one distance per hole. But if you want to tack your way around the course the way you hear the guys talking on TV "You got 130 pin, 122 to carry the bunker, 14 behind and 8 to the right, wind's helping a little..." that kind of overview can be had very quickly and easily with a SkyCaddie if your course is fully mapped.

I bet it takes me less than 10 seconds, faster than finding a head, guessing where the flag is and doing the math. Played a new course today and the pinseeker was great, worth at least 10 shots over guessing what club and line to use. If I went GPS it would have to be a fee less one like Golf Guru. Skycaddie wants to charge me $60 a year since I play in Mexico.

I bet it takes me less than 10 seconds, faster than finding a head, guessing where the flag is and doing the math. Played a new course today and the pinseeker was great, worth at least 10 shots over guessing what club and line to use. If I went GPS it would have to be a fee less one like Golf Guru. Skycaddie wants to charge me $60 a year since I play in Mexico.

So much more information is available with a GPS and at a quick glance. I have a mid to low single digit handicap and I find knowing the front and back distances on a line roughly with the pin is of far more value to me than having an exact (+/- 1 yard) distance to the pin. Just make sure if you go that route you get the "eight one". I would stay away from the Golf Guru. $60/year may seem like a lot, but it is worth it to get accurate course maps and a unit that works like it is supposed to. The maps are more accurate because they are "on the ground" walking the course to map it. Others use aerial/satellite photos which may or may not be up-to-date and sometimes make features hard to distinguish. I thought I would save the $49 annual fee by replacing my SG2 with the Golf Guru. I had so many problems with it I got an RMA and I returned it three weeks ago and have yet to receive a refund or replacement for the defective unit so I am out $250 at this point!

As luck would have it I played/rode with a guy on Saturday morning that had a skycaddie. The course we played at also had pin sheets, so it was the best case senario. The SC was always within a yard or two of the laser. It worked well and was quick.

I still find it funny to here people say that don't care about knowing the exact yardage to the hole.

As luck would have it I played/rode with a guy on Saturday morning that had a skycaddie. The course we played at also had pin sheets, so it was the best case senario. The SC was always within a yard or two of the laser. It worked well and was quick.

I still find it funny to here people say that don't care about knowing the exact yardage to the hole.

I would be willing to bet that the average (and even better than average) golfer would score one heck of a lot better if they disregarded the "exact yardage to the hole" and just played to the center of the greens.

I would be willing to bet that the average (and even better than average) golfer would score one heck of a lot better if they disregarded the "exact yardage to the hole" and just played to the center of the greens.

By saying that, you wouldn't need to know the distance to back/front of the green, or the carry over a bunker/hazard. You wouldn't really need a SC or laser at all. Now, I do agree that most people really have no idea how far they hit clubs, much less knwo where they are going.

I will admit that the sky caddie gives a lot of great information. Just not the idstance to the hole.

The folks on this board worried about distances on the range must have much better range balls than my club. What is the point of zeroing in a yardage on the range with older or possibly low compression balls that have been hit and miss hit thousands of times then going out on the course with a new ProV1 and flying past the pin by 10 or 15 yards?

That being said....most 4 star courses do have the ranges mapped....and I do like that...but it just gives you a general idea. Seems like folks are pretty worried about range distances but should be more concerned about the quality of the range ball if trying to calibrate swings to go a pre-determined distance??

Maybe I'm wrong? Just a thought.