Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

[quote name='puttnforthe8' post='2115549' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:08 AM'][quote name='Charlie.Dont.Surf' post='2115533' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:42 PM'][quote name='puttnforthe8' post='2112418' date='Dec 8 2009, 06:30 PM'][quote name='Charlie.Dont.Surf' post='2112330' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:51 PM']can any locals recommend a good instructor? preferably one who won't break the bank long term. Newb golfer here[/quote]

Can you post some more info:

How new to golf are you? What are you trying to accomplish? What do you shoot now? etc.

[/quote]

Picked up clubs for first time at age 30 a year ago. Played 20-25 times since then. Started out hitting 130-145. Dropped down to 115-125 and recently have been around 105-110. Broke 100 for first time last time I played. Can't hit anything below a 6 iron so I usually use a hybrid. Most of my irons seem to go way shorter than what they should be yardage wise. Driver I hit fairly consistent..usually 200-225 but its straight. Totally inept at pitching/chipping. Ok at putting I guess. But I doubt I actually know what I'm doing with all of the above.

I'd like to find a good quality instructor who would essentially plan out like a strategy to improve my overall game over the next 6 months - 1 year. Assuming 2-4 lessons per month depending on how much it costs. I play weekends and occasionally hit the range at night during the week(mainly hit off tee cuz the mats kill my wrists). Based on how I play right now I don't really see how with good instruction, putting the time in both on the course and at the range...how I couldn't be hitting below 100 regularly within 6 months or a year.
[/quote]

I forgot to ask what part of town....Anyways,

Well something like what you are looking for Jason Carbone out at Wigwam is highly recommended by many. However, this may be more $ than you want to spend.

Out in the East Valley the instructor at Dobson Ranch is good..but the facilities are not the best.

I have heard very good things about Kay Jeanquartier at Ocotillo and the folks at Whirlwind(now this is top notch facilities).

Out West, Greg Ellis at Vistancia is one of the best around and Vistancia has nice facilities. I worked with Greg!

So here is my personal opinion though....at your stage you should do 1 of two things - >>> Go to a Golf School (Gold Canyon has a very good one with summer prices be much better, Wigwam at the Jim Mclean school) and spend a few days learning.

The other option would be to work with a decent golfer and learn some things to improve and then go take lessons down the road.

I say this from personal experience....I could not break 100, I am now down to a 4.5 and have only started taking lessons over the last year to try and get better. I started out at the PGA store for some lessons and then the course.

Good Luck.

[/quote]

thanks
I'm in North Scottsdale.

The main reasons I want to start with lessons is I don't want to get to a point where I have to start all over and completely rebuild me swing when I could have just done that from the very beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Charlie.Dont.Surf' post='2118756' date='Dec 11 2009, 01:20 PM'][quote name='Charlie.Dont.Surf' post='2112330' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:51 PM']can any locals recommend a good instructor? preferably one who won't break the bank long term. Newb golfer here[/quote]

thanks
I'm in North Scottsdale.

[/quote]

The best advice for a beginner is to look for "clinics" held at the driving range of your local courses. These group lessons are generally not as expensive as one-on-one lessons but can still give you some fundamental instruction. Also, I much prefer lessons/learning on a outdoor range as opposed to indoors.

The best teachers will have both video and launch monitor equipment.
[i](*edit* ^^^ this comment was intended as a general thought - obviously, you are not going to find this level of instruction in a low cost clinic setting...)[/i]

If interested in one-on-one, Scottsdale is home to two of the top instructors recognised (and published) by both Golf Digest and Golf Magazine. Neither are cheap.
- Scott Sackett teaches out of McCormick Ranch.
- Mike LaBauve teaches out of Kierland GC.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the main post to add GC of Estrella and current conditions of some of the courses.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, going to be in the area for President's day weekend. Here is our itinerary:

Friday afternoon: Papago

Saturday: Golf Club Estrella

Sunday: TPC Champions (walking rate)

Monday: Sunridge Canyon

The only two we are thinking of flipping are Estrella and Sunridge, couldn't pass up the deals at TPC and Papago. Any suggestions for some good courses with elevation changes that aren't there for the sake of elevation changes? I played WeKoPa, ASU and Papago in December and would love to go back to WeKoPa, but not for $175. Thanks for any help you can provide.

GC of Estrella is a very good course and worth keeping on your list. 18 good solid golf holes, just watch out for 17 it can get you if you dont get a GIR on that one.

Sunridge is good, and I think has the best stretch of closing holes in the valley. Every hole on the back nine is solid except #11 the wash they have running through the middle of the fairway is just odd and leaves a narrow window if you want to hit driver or a long second shot if you do the smart thing and hit 3 wood and lay up. The front nine is a bit quirky and requires some good placement off the tee but all in all its a solid well maintained golf course.

The other one to consider which fits your bill is the Dinosaur course at Gold Canyon, very good course with some elevation changes too it.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ninja' date='15 March 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1268684911' post='2317651']
Heading to Scottsdale in a few days and looking to fill out my rotation with one of the following. Any input (good or bad) would be appreciated.....

[b]Whirlwind: Absolutely....either course is great...I prefer Devils Claw because it offers a bit more shot making...but can't go wrong. [/b]
[b]The Phoenician: So so...3 9's with 2 of them being "resorty" and 9 pretty good ones. but overpriced for the value.[/b]
[b]Talking Stick[/b] (North): NOOOO! A weird and quirky course that is nowhere worth the price...the South is better if you had to choose one
[b]Kierland: Waaay Overpriced....but if you play ask for Mesquite and Acacia 9's...Ironwood 9 leaves a bit to be desired. Otherwise they just stick you with two 9's of their choosing.
[/b]
[/quote]

[b]Whirlwind: Absolutely....either course is great...I prefer Devils Claw because it offers a bit more shot making...but can't go wrong.
The Phoenician: So so...3 9's with 2 of them being "resorty" and 9 pretty good ones. but overpriced for the value.[/b]
[b]Talking Stick[/b] (North): NOOOO! A weird and quirky course that is nowhere worth the price...the South is better if you had to choose one
[b]Kierland: Waaay Overpriced....but if you play ask for Mesquite and Acacia 9's...Ironwood 9 leaves a bit to be desired. Otherwise they just stick you with two 9's of their choosing.

If you are able to walk...TPC Champions is a great price and a strong choice.[/b]

[quote name='Ninja' date='15 March 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1268689602' post='2317829']
Hey thanks! I was considering the [b]TPC Champions[/b] course but I doubt I could convince the wife to walk 18 holes while on holidays.

If cost wasn't an issue would you still take [b]Whirlwind[/b] over [b]Kierland[/b]?

[/quote]

I would echo the prev comments to play Whirlwind Devils Claw, really fun course. Kierland is a moderate layout, I agree about the nines to play as mesquite and acacia, and also agree that it is drastically overpriced. Overall Whirlwind is the better course.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='Ninja' date='15 March 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1268706100' post='2318524']
Whirlwind it is then, thanks!

BTW great thread One Putt....definitely helped set-up our golf schedule for next week.

[/quote]

Your welcome, I have had the privelege to play a ton of golf out here, and really do my best to play as many different tracks as I can especially during the summer. I still have my favorites that I play the most(Vista Verde and TPC champions) but I try to get in some new ones when I can.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this email for anyone looking for good pricing at wekopa this spring/summer. They are offering a $50 pass with good discounts on rates plus other incentives.

[b]We-Ko-[i]Pass[/i] Benefits:[/b]

[list][*]Discounted Green Fee Rates For Card Holder and a Maximum of Three Guests[*]One Free Round With Every Six Paid Card Holder Rounds [*]Four Day Advance Reservations via Telephone or [url="http://www.wekopa.com/"][color="#824918"][b]www.wekopa.com[/b][/color][/url] [*]Complimentary Logoed We-Ko-Pa Golf Club Cap [*]20% Off Non-Sale Golf Shop Merchandise [b](Excluding Golf Balls & Gloves)[/b] [*][size="2"]Reduced Green Fees/Traveling Benefits at Other OB Sports-Managed Facilities (Please Visit [/size][url="http://www.obsports.com/travel"][size="2"][color="#824918"][b]www.obsports.com/travel[/b][/color][/size][/url][size="2"] For Details)[b] [/b][/size] [size="2"][b] [/b][/size][size="2"][b] [/b][/size][*][color="#ff0000"][b]NEW[/b][/color] - Complimentary Green Fees For Card Holder Event in June[*][color="#ff0000"][b]NEW[/b][/color] - Complimentary Green Fees For Monthly Nine Hole Events (Limited)[*][color="#ff0000"][b]NEW[/b][/color] - Eagle Mountain Golf Club Will Extend "Mountain Club" Green Fee Rates To The We-Ko-Pass Card Holder When Playing at Eagle Mountain [/list][size="2"][b]We-Ko-[i]Pass[/i] Rates[/b] [/size] [center][size="2"][/size] [/center]
[center][b][size="2"]We-Ko-[i]Pass[/i][/size][/b][/center]
[center][b][size="2"]With Guest(s)[/size][/b][/center]
[size="2"]Apr 4 - Apr 25[/size][center][size="2"]$68[/size][/center]
[center][size="2"]$63[/size][/center]
[left][size="2"]April 26 – May 30 [/size][/left]
[center][size="2"]$53[/size][/center]
[center][size="2"]$48[/size][/center]
[size="2"]May 31 - August 26[/size][center][size="2"]$38[/size][/center]
[center][size="2"]$33[/size][/center]
[size="2"]August 27 - Oct. 10[/size][center][size="2"]$48[/size][/center]
[center][size="2"]$43[/size][/center]

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

so...

a few friends and i are planning on taking a trip to Phoenix for some golf in the week of September 27-Oct1. we've seen searching, but it looks like most don't have rates in September yet...is this because they don't normally post them till later in the year or is it because courses are closed down there.

let me know,

from your fellow Canadian :D

so...

a few friends and i are planning on taking a trip to Phoenix for some golf in the week of September 27-Oct1. we've seen searching, but it looks like most don't have rates in September yet...is this because they don't normally post them till later in the year or is it because courses are closed down there.

let me know,

from your fellow Canadian biggrin.gif

most of the courses actuall websites should have the rack rates posted, still usually pretty inexpensive to play that time of year the only issues you may run into is the overseeding time from summer to winter grass. We usually post the overseeding schedule in here as it gets closer to that time.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 1 month later...

Looking for some advise. I'm heading out to the Pheonix area this Thursday through Sunday. My wife and I are staying at Wigwam for a little R&R. I got permission to play a couple of rounds while we are out there. I'm planning on playing one round at Wigwam, but was looking else where for a second. I'm not really all that familiar with the area, so looking for some suggestions. I am willing to drive a to play, probably no more than a hour. The only courses that I have played while out there last time was Grey Hawk and Gainey Ranch while we stayed out in that area.

What suggestions do you guys have? Willing to spend up to a couple hundred on the round. Not sure what course conditions are like this time of year.

[quote name='asianplow' date='03 May 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1272906291' post='2417367']
Looking for some advise. I'm heading out to the Pheonix area this Thursday through Sunday. My wife and I are staying at Wigwam for a little R&R. I got permission to play a couple of rounds while we are out there. I'm planning on playing one round at Wigwam, but was looking else where for a second. I'm not really all that familiar with the area, so looking for some suggestions. I am willing to drive a to play, probably no more than a hour. The only courses that I have played while out there last time was Grey Hawk and Gainey Ranch while we stayed out in that area.

What suggestions do you guys have? Willing to spend up to a couple hundred on the round. Not sure what course conditions are like this time of year.
[/quote]

If your staying at the Wigwam you could play Raven at Verrado or Golf Club of Estrella(not the muni) and stay pretty close to the hotel vs driving about an hour to scottsdale. Both are very good golf courses and should be reasonably priced now.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='03 May 2010 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1272910716' post='2417621']
[quote name='asianplow' date='03 May 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1272906291' post='2417367']

[/quote]

If your staying at the Wigwam you could play Raven at Verrado or Golf Club of Estrella(not the muni) and stay pretty close to the hotel vs driving about an hour to scottsdale. Both are very good golf courses and should be reasonably priced now.
[/quote]

Thanks One_Putt_Blunder! I have reading all the posts on this topic the last couple of hours. What great reviews and feedback! I will check those 2 out. I'm very interested in Southern Dunes. I played with someone out here in Colorado over the weekend that lives out there during the winter, and he said he would recommend Southern Dunes, and after all the rave reviews, I might try to make my way down there. I'm guessing course conditions should be fairly good this time of year, right?

[quote name='asianplow' date='03 May 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1272912546' post='2417713']
[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='03 May 2010 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1272910716' post='2417621']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks One_Putt_Blunder! I have reading all the posts on this topic the last couple of hours. What great reviews and feedback! I will check those 2 out. I'm very interested in Southern Dunes. I played with someone out here in Colorado over the weekend that lives out there during the winter, and he said he would recommend Southern Dunes, and after all the rave reviews, I might try to make my way down there. I'm guessing course conditions should be fairly good this time of year, right?
[/quote]

I have not played Southern Dunes since new years day and have been hearing some things that suggest its not in the greatest shape right now. I cant give you any first had info other than its a great design that can play pretty tough. Maybe some of the other member that may have played it recently can chime in on that.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

One_Putt_Blunder,

So between the 2 you recommended, which would you do? I've read the reviews of both on this thread, and both sound great. Do you know the conditions of either? Right now, anything is going to be better than what I'm coming from. Played in a tourney this past weekend in the snow. Stuff is starting to turn green, but nothing is rolling yet. I always love to play somewhere the conditions are great.

Thanks again for your feedback!

I am a big fan of The GC of Estrella, not a bad hole on the course, just one akward semi blind tee shot on number 18 but the rest of the hole is solid. I played out there about a month ago and it was good they had just sanded the greens but they should be in great shape now.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I second Verrado as its in good shape and they have specials right now from $49. If you are going to play Wigwam I suggest the Gold course if you are a lower handicapper and hit the ball a decent length. Otherwise I'd hit the red course. I just played both in the past 7 days and they are rollin decent.

As far as Estrella goes its a good layout as mentioned previously. The issue I have with it right now is there are a crapload of those swamp gnats all over the course. I played there a week ago and it was unbearable. If they are gone I'd say try it out but if not I'd stay away cause they will ruin your whole experience.

You are better off staying in the west valley by Wigwam and you will get the most bang for your buck. You wont pay anymore than $59 at any of the courses out here right now. Can't wait til next month when they should all be below $35 biggrin.gif

on a side note any of u guys play sunridge golf club
what a s*** hole. no marshall pace of play was awful, fairways were brown and tee boxes were ungroomed. every whole seemed like it had a blind tee shot. shots that felt great were bad and shots i thought were jacked were perfect. Now i know there was a wind storm this weekend so golf wasnt the most fun but man I hated that course

Just my thoughts another troon failure if you ask me

[quote name='Ohiogolfer1' date='03 May 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1272928653' post='2418539']
on a side note any of u guys play sunridge golf club
what a s*** hole. no marshall pace of play was awful, fairways were brown and tee boxes were ungroomed. every whole seemed like it had a blind tee shot. shots that felt great were bad and shots i thought were jacked were perfect. Now i know there was a wind storm this weekend so golf wasnt the most fun but man I hated that course

Just my thoughts another troon failure if you ask me
[/quote]

Dude I gotta ask, Is there a golf course out here that you do like? I cant really recall you saying anything decent about any courses?. Not really sure what you have against Troon managment either. I have played sunridge a bunch of times and while I am not a huge fan of the front nine, the back nine sans hole # 11 and the wash that runs through it are a great closing stretch of golf holes. The times we have played it there were no conditioning issues of note.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Played Wigwam this weekend. Very windy but the course was in great shape. Greens were nice. Fairways and tee boxes were in very good shape. If you book through golfnow you can play the Gold course for $39 that includes cart. And that is a great price for the quality.

If you decide to stay and play on the West side then I'd recommend Verrado and Estrella. Both are 20-25 minutes from the Wigwam.

Raven Verrado is top notch. Excellently manicured course. The greens were top dressed with some sand the last time I played there about one month ago but they rolled very nice. They have a very good pro shop and restaurant. Grab a drink on the patio after your round and enjoy the desert scenery. I received an email special for this weekend for $59 that includes cart. Let me know I can send you the email. You won't regret playing there at that price.

Golf Club at Estrella is also a very nice facility. Spectacular desert course. Go to Golfnow for weekend deals. Many times they'll run a special of all you can play golf, lunch, range balls and ProVs.

This is a great time to play in the Phoenix area. Prices have dropped and its not too hot yet. Have fun!

LOL yes i do like 2 troon courses Talking Sticks and Kierland. I guess coming here from the midwest you get used to a particular type of course. I just dont understand not being able to use drive on lets say 85% of the par 4s. I understand a couple of strategy holes but come on. I hit driver 5 times total including par 5s from the tips. Lets play one of these courses soon like sunridge or southern dunes. maybe playing with u since u have been there you can show me the line that will allow me to grip and rip.

[quote name='Ohiogolfer1' date='03 May 2010 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1272937217' post='2418984']
LOL yes i do like 2 troon courses Talking Sticks and Kierland. I guess coming here from the midwest you get used to a particular type of course. I just dont understand not being able to use drive on lets say 85% of the par 4s. I understand a couple of strategy holes but come on. I hit driver 5 times total including par 5s from the tips. Lets play one of these courses soon like sunridge or southern dunes. maybe playing with u since u have been there you can show me the line that will allow me to grip and rip.
[/quote]

I have been out here for about 15 years now so I guess desert golf is kinda second nature to me and being the corey pavin of golfwrx (shortknocker that tends to keep it in play) I can get away with playing driver in most cases since I trust it so much and I tend to shoot myself in the foot if I try and do the smart thing.

I guess its a style of golf that you become used to over the years and it grows on you, I am usually down for a round and play typically fri and/or sunday and could be very interested in getting out at Southern Dunes again.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

My buddy and I are heading out to phoenix next sat-wed. We're looking to play 36 at troon north and grayhawk and will probably just fill the other days with a single 18 hole round. What's the best way to book these courses? I've never used ezlinks or golfnow before. I'm probably going to use them to fill the 18 hole rounds, but what's the best way to book troon and grayhawk? I see troon has some rates on golfnow. Would that be the best way to book 36 for one day? Thanks for the help.

Golfnow is prob the best, wide range of courses and most of the time they have the best pricing. Pretty simple to sign up and use

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Great write up one putt. Has definitely helped me and I'm sure it's helped countless others. I've played the Grayhawk Raptor, TPC Scottsdale Champions, and The rerouted Troon North last time I was out there. Any ideas what the 36 hole rate is at we ko pa is? I tried to call a month ago and they said they didn't have a 36 hole special rate.