2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

OPB... thanks for the quick reply.

We've played that course out in Goodyear a few times.... first time before Troon took over and when it was called Estrella Mountain Ranch and twice after Troon took over but before they changed the name. And I noticed that other Estrella golf course also changed their name to Tres Rios. It is pretty far out west.

Thanks Tom, I had a feeling I was leaving something out

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

lookout mountain $49, [b]short track can be fun on occasion if they get the greens running fast, lots of elevation changes. 7.5/10
[/b]Trilogy Golf Club at Power Ranch $49 [b]have not had the chance to play it yet
[/b]foothills $32 [b]ehhh not a favorite of mine I personally have never enjoyed it the 4-5 times I have played it 6/10
[/b]western skies $49[b] booring booring flat bland course 4/10
[/b]sanctuary $56, short course that places a premium on accuracy that can be a challenge if your not hitting it straight off the tee 7/10
las sendas $54 [b]Again tough golf course that can eat up golf balls but its a nice track if you want to be challenged 8/10
[/b]southern dunes $55[b] one of my favorites always a challenge, but still gives you scoring opportunities. 9.5/10
[/b]vista verde $48 [b]one of my valley favorites, wide open off the tee, but very tricky green complexes and the best deal you will ever see in phx 9.5/10
[/b]McCormick Ranch $49 (saw mention of it in the Tourist trap section... is it that bad?) [b]not a big fan but there are those that do enjoy it
[/b]legend trail $52 [b]another true desert type course even with the houses, places a premium on accuracy, but is always a fun round 8.8/10
[/b]desert canyon $54 It is an ok track if you cant find anything for the same price or cheaper, nothing to memorable though 6.5/10
longbow $58 [b]Tjy loves the course I am so/so on it but it is a good layout when it is not 110* outside 7.5/10
[/b]whirlwind $66 for 66$ it [b]would be a good play, not quite to southern dunes or Vista level but a solid course 7.8/10
[/b]ocotillo $72 [b]Meh its like something you would see if Fl transplanted to the desert, I am not a fan at all
[/b]phoenician $75 very short course that makes you pay for location usually in tip top shape to justify the price 6.8/10
talking stick $87 [b]The north course is a gem, it is built on a boring peice of flat land, and wont blow you away unless you really pay attention to the intracicies of golf course desing and appreciate what coore/crenshaw did with what they had. I personally love the course, but there are some that skip it. 8.9/10
The ratings I gave on a scale of 10 are just based on the courses you listed not including all of the premium tracks in town. It really goes to show that the mid priced tier can get you a memorable round of golf in the valley or something you just want to forget as soon as you[/b] can.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Matt, I agree about Foothills. Played it 4 times and I think each time I hated it more and more. Extremely crowded every time, and the greens looked like the surface of the moon with all of the un-repaired ball marks. For the money(and location), I'd rather play Club West as there is much more variety and memorable holes.

Western Skies, I'd rate even lower lol. I played 12 holes and walked off, and didnt feel like I missed a thing haha. VERY very very boring, which says alot since I've played Ahwatukee like 400 times now and I'm still not tired of it haha.

In the near future I'll add my reviews of City of Phoenix Muni courses re:Maryvale, Encanto, and Aguila, as well as Ken McDonald in Tempe, and Dobson Ranch in Mesa.

I need to re-read the thread, Im looking for stuff in North East Mesa such as Red Mountain Ranch and some pictures of Las Sendas since I go to school right down the road from there 2 days/week.

Also, Matt:
My brother and his buddy are coming in to town at the end of Feb/early March, and we'll prob to a few weekday rounds at the CC and Club west, then thinking on Sat we'll do 36 at the duke and Southern Dunes. Sunday, we're looking at maybe walking TPC champions or maybe a round out at We Ko Pa. We Ko Pa would be $85/player, and TPC is fairly cheap. Do you think we should do We Ko, TPC, or go out to estrella?

Estrella would also be a good 36'er for verrado as well.

And finally, want to tag along?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1296958804' post='2954650']
Also, Matt:
My brother and his buddy are coming in to town at the end of Feb/early March, and we'll prob to a few weekday rounds at the CC and Club west, then thinking on Sat we'll do 36 at the duke and Southern Dunes. Sunday, we're looking at maybe walking TPC champions or maybe a round out at We Ko Pa. We Ko Pa would be $85/player, and TPC is fairly cheap. Do you think we should do We Ko, TPC, or go out to estrella?

Estrella would also be a good 36'er for verrado as well.

And finally, want to tag along?
[/quote]

Hmm ill have sunday/mondays off then so let me know if you have an opening, right now I am couch bound thanks to the effing hips, but if it warms up I may be able to get a round in. Honestly I really really like Estrella right now, obviously Wekopa is first on that list but I would go to Estrella/Verrado over 36 at TPC, Dont forget you have yet to play vista verde :drinks:

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Heading down there in May again and have already played Troon, Grayhawk, Boulders and We-ko-pa.

Appreciate any guidance on 'holy grail' courses to aim for as looking to play the best courses and have a few contacts that might get me access to some of the member only courses like The Golf Club Scottsdale

[quote name='Pleasedwith3putts' timestamp='1297977791' post='2987651']
Heading down there in May again and have already played Troon, Grayhawk, Boulders and We-ko-pa.

Appreciate any guidance on 'holy grail' courses to aim for as looking to play the best courses and have a few contacts that might get me access to some of the member only courses like The Golf Club Scottsdale
[/quote]

The holy grail would be

1: Whisper Rock Phil, Ogilvy, Casey, McCord, and bunch of others PGA pros are members there.
2: Estancia Bubba, Ryan Moore, Pat Perez and a few others are members
3: Golf Club of Scottsdale Got a buddy that works there and I have still yet to play it. May be the easiest to get on besides DM
4: Desert Mountain 6 courses of pure desert golf bliss.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='jrich99' timestamp='1298165372' post='2993518']
Anyone ever play at DC Ranch? The 3 holes on the back 9 that go up the side of the mountain are my 3 favorite holes of AZ golf.
[/quote]

Have not had the chance to yet, some of my buddies that work at the private clubs have and they all have said they like the course, It is one of those place I always forget is there

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Hey Guys... is there anywhere in Phoenix (or surrounding area) that are able to offer all day (unlimited play rates). Looking to try and set up a mini golf day for a few guys at work next week. We would need 2 tee times in a row and would like them to be day rates rather than a rate for 18 holes.

Any thoughts? Anyone know anyone that can set us up with a deal somewhere nice? ;)

I believe Raven at Verrado is all you can play, but its on a space available basis. Same deal for Estrella, meaning, you book your morning tee time, finish, check in withthe club house and they get you out whenever theres an opening. Could be right after you finish, might not be until 430.

I dont know of any places other than those two that do all you can play rates in the winter.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Just got back from businesss trip to PHX area. Squeezed in four rounds. Here are links to pix of the courses in my order of preference:

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/579754338vryUaV"]Southern Dunes[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/579765881PRIVwv"]Raven @ Verrado[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/579765976kQijmC"]G.C. of Estrella[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/579765985vhUTLh"]Whirlwind - Cattail[/url]

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1298174561' post='2993893']
Just got back from businesss trip to PHX area. Squeezed in four rounds. Here are links to pix of the courses in my border of preference:

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/579765985vhUTLh"]Whirlwind - Cattail[/url]
[/quote]

Those are some great pics thanks for sharing :kewlpics::coolpics:

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1298166024' post='2993538']
[quote name='jrich99' timestamp='1298165372' post='2993518']
Anyone ever play at DC Ranch? The 3 holes on the back 9 that go up the side of the mountain are my 3 favorite holes of AZ golf.
[/quote]

Have not had the chance to yet, some of my buddies that work at the private clubs have and they all have said they like the course, It is one of those place I always forget is there
[/quote]

It's a lot of fun. Not very tough, but really well maintained. Definitely a must-play if you get the chance. I got to play there last summer in a tournament and it was probably the best maintained course I played all summer.

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1298161851' post='2993378']
[quote name='Pleasedwith3putts' timestamp='1297977791' post='2987651']

[/quote]

The holy grail would be

1: Whisper Rock Phil, Ogilvy, Casey, McCord, and bunch of others PGA pros are members there.
2: Estancia Bubba, Ryan Moore, Pat Perez and a few others are members
3: Golf Club of Scottsdale Got a buddy that works there and I have still yet to play it. May be the easiest to get on besides DM
4: Desert Mountain 6 courses of pure desert golf bliss.
[/quote]

Thanks One-putt. That's exactly the info I needed

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1298174561' post='2993893']
Just got back from businesss trip to PHX area. Squeezed in four rounds. Here are links to pix of the courses in my order of preference:

[/quote]
excellent pics. Since I live part of the year in the area now, I never take as many pics. These are great.

[quote name='sabre3487' timestamp='1298340754' post='2999057']
Heading to Scottsdale,AZ in mid May. Have five days to play. I have read through the post and wanted to know if money wasn't an option what courses are a must?

Also any Private courses available to play?

Burn
[/quote]

I would say the two We-Ko-Pa courses are definitely must play!

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

[quote name='Bama_Rich' timestamp='1298398545' post='3000462']
Heading to Scottsdale,AZ in mid May. Have five days to play. I have read through the post and wanted to know if money wasn't an option what courses are a must?

Also any Private courses available to play?

Burn
[/quote]

I would say the two We-Ko-Pa courses are definitely must play!
[/quote]
yes, also play both Troon North courses (36 in one day). Play Quintero if you are out that way.

Burn [/quote]

Here's a link to my top 25 in Phoenix with photo links:[url="http://golfcourses.weebly.com/phoenix-az.html"]Favorite Phoenix Courses[/url]

Having played there... I still do not understand all the love that Talking Stick North gets.... At all...

sorry.gif

In my honest opinion, it was a fairly dull flat course compared to some of the amazing elevation changes you get out here in the Valley.

@sabram.... no SunRidge Canyon? Stunning course... just wish I hadn't forgotten my camera that day!

I would also have Eagle Mountain higher up- looking forward to playing there again the summer!

also... not sure about Greyhawk Raptor... played it a couple of weeks ago and preferred quite a few of the other courses you have on the list. Its all personal opinion though :)

Nice set of photos though I have to admit!

Hi guys,

I'm heading to Phoenix with my University's golf team and because the airline company messed up 4 tickets, 3 of my teammates and I get an extra day to play! This would be on Sunday, March the 6th. We would like something that is close to Sky Harbor airport (we are leaving at 11:50 pm) and that would allow us to play as much golf as we want for the day.

So far, The Karsten course offers a pretty good deal at 119$ for unlimited golf and practise but we would like to have more infos on the local courses.

We would like nothing over 100$ for 1 round and nothing over 175$ for unlimited play.

We would like to play a demanding course that offers great playing conditions.

Send your suggestions!

Thanks

sabram.... no SunRidge Canyon? Stunning course... just wish I hadn't forgotten my camera that day!

Phil B - I'm not a fan of Sunridge. It beat my brains out when I played it. The grens were too tough for me. I do have a few pix of SRC, but I get sick every time I look at them ;-) I'll give another try when I am back in May

Having played there... I still do not understand all the love that Talking Stick North gets.... At all...

sorry.gif

In my honest opinion, it was a fairly dull flat course compared to some of the amazing elevation changes you get out here in the Valley.

But as dull, flat courses go, one of the best! :lol:

I'll post my thoughts about TSN when I have some more time. I seem to be in the minority but I think TSN is one of the best public courses in the valley. Perhaps because I value the actual GOLF and not so much views and visual aesthetics.

I do recognize that everyone has different values and expectations and I'm not trying to diminish your experience at all. I understand that TSN is underwhelming when compared to the many tourist oriented upscale venues up in the foothills. And when one is visiting the valley on vacation, a course with great views and spectacular surroundings is certainly an attraction.

I actually didn't think much of it the first time I played it either. But the course grows on me with every repeat play. Talking Stick North could be the perfect "everyday" course but for two complaints:

- Price structure is too high for a local/daily golfer

- They tend to keep it too soft. Firmed up it would play to its true design potential.