2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1386383249' post='8261283']
Played TPC Champions today with jewofgolf and his dad. Great day and a great course. Best kept secret in Scottsdale. $49 walking rate. The golf now price with a cart today would have been $140.

On the second tee he said he wanted to play for bragging rights and the winner gets to post on golfwrx that he won.... I feel more like he lost today than I won! LOL! Neither of us played great but my 73 won by a couple... :derisive:

If anyone is looking for a great course in North Scottsdale for a great rate, this is your place!!
[/quote]

Nice back 9 Dan! Wish I could have played better...oh well that's golf...still a great day!

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1386602667' post='8272323']
That stinks! Where dd you play?
[/quote]

Arrived Friday afternoon and headed to [b]Legacy [/b]for a twilight round but they were 1.5 hours behind so we only played 9.

Booked Talking Stick & [b]Vista Verde[/b] for Saturday but another 1.5 hour frost delay forced us to cancel Talking Stick.

Fortunately some overnight cloud cover prevented any delay for our Sunday booking at [b]Aguila[/b].

We had the first tee time booked for Papago this morning prior to our departure but they were looking at a 2 hour delay so we had to cancel.

[quote name='Ninja' timestamp='1386649022' post='8276359']
[/quote]
Booked Talking Stick & [b]Vista Verde[/b] for Saturday but another 1.5 hour frost delay forced us to cancel Talking Stick.
We had the first tee time booked for Papago this morning prior to our departure but they were looking at a 2 hour delay so we had to cancel.
[/quote]

Anyone else on here currently playing in the Phx two man event? Saturday at CaveCreek we were literally putting on ice the first several holes with a 7:30 tee time. Why in the world there wasn't a frost delay is beyond me. I felt guilty playing and waking on any grass. Instead of banging sand and grass out of your spikes you had to scrape 1/2" of accumulated ice off, as it felt like you were wearing high heels at time it got so thick. Bizarre. Sunday was 9am and was much much warmer.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

I played Boulders South yesterday for the first time - pretty easy to lose a bunch of balls!

1) Fairways were great - yielded some roll and were pretty dense so no thin lies basically all day.
2) Greens were quick and for the most part smooth. They ran like 11 I would guess.
3) Pace for the front 9 was 2:25 - pretty miserable and then the ranger did his job and we finished in 4:30. 4:30 is not fast by any means, but at least the course held their word on the 4:30 pace they publish - especially after falling behind.

Overall - lived up to the hype and I enjoyed it.

I played TPC Scottsdale - Champions course on Friday. I love the course and the greens were rolling really well. The fairways were nice and firm.

[quote name='Ninja' timestamp='1386649022' post='8276359']
[/quote]

Arrived Friday afternoon and headed to [b]Legacy [/b]for a twilight round but they were 1.5 hours behind so we only played 9.

Fortunately some overnight cloud cover prevented any delay for our Sunday booking at [b]Aguila[/b].

[/quote]
How did u like Vista Verde?

[quote name='Tipsy McHooker' timestamp='1386782656' post='8283715']
How did u like Vista Verde?
[/quote]

Although the weather wasn't the best (cool, overcast & windy) we thoroughly enjoyed the course (great layout & conditioning).....well worth the drive. Had played it about 5 years ago so I wanted another 'kick at the can'.

Saw a few wild horses roaming the fairway which was a first for me.

I played Vista Verde today, having the time to go 36. I really liked it. Saw the horses, plus a giant Jackrabbit, maybe the biggest one I have ever seen. The course is well taken care of and the views of the mountains is sensational. The range is good too, and the practice green runs true to the real deal, but the greens (my first time at VV), have a lot of slopes. Not many forced carries, that my partners appreciated. On the second 18, I played 10 shots better ��.
2 days ago I played Talking Stick, North and South, and was dissapointed, as I don't think they can compared to the other ones that I have played since my first visit to Arizona to golf last year. They are not bad courses, but definitely the layouts leave the courses trailing the others.
Sunridge Canyon I liked so much I came back to play it twice this week. Visually the last 3 holes are great. I always enjoy Keith Foster designs, specially the shaved greens.
Quintero is a notch ahead of the others. In top of the exceptional golf course, they have very good customer service. The greens are really fast, and the fairways have no burnt areas.
Definitely recommend Quintero, Vista Verde and Sunridge. Not recommend Talking Stick. Looking forward to play Southern Dunes and Raven Verrado in next two days.
Thanks to the Golfwrx members that help me decide where to go. Everyone in Arizona has been so helpful.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Enjoyed both Southern Dunes and Raven at Verrado. Good scores in both. Funny is that in the very first hole in the Dunes I hit one of my longest drives this year, 320, and playing the blue, drove the 14th hole just to see my ball roll to the trap. Crazy par 3s, and good risk reward holes, like every par 5. I liked that the rangers know how to do their job, getting the groups under control with the times. Perfect greens. I plan to be back playing it in my next visits. I personally like courses that have none or very few homes around like this one.

Verrado is a nice track, with a community semiprivate club environment. Many patrons were early (before my tee at 9:47) just having breakfast, and when I ended, so many others were watching football. Wide fairways and gettable par 5s were the highlight for me. Most of the greens were flawless. I have the feeling if I played it 2 or 3 more times I would be getting lower and lower scores every time. I don't think is a very walkable course because of long distance between some holes and basically no shadow at all.

Ranking my Phoenix week, I would say, in order, Quintero, Southern Dunes, Sunridge, Vista Verde, Verrado and the Talking Sticks.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tipsy McHooker' timestamp='1387906447' post='8344045']
I booked a trip in April and will probably stray from the group for an extra mid range priced round. We are playing as a group a bunch of the High end courses mentioned already. Does anybody have an opinion on Southern Dunes Versus Longbow for this extra round??
[/quote]

Longbow is more "narrow", even though it isn't really narrow - just more target oriented and sort of forces position golf. Southern Dunes is more fun IMO because you can play holes in a bunch of different ways.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1389722119' post='8459285']
Heading down to Scotsdale for the first week of March. Plan to play Troon North (Pinnacle) but was wondering what other courses are near Old Town that might be a good warmup after 4 months of snow induced rust in the old game. Any ideas. Probably only able to get in 2 rounds.[/quote]

Where about are you staying? Old Town Scottsdale is nowhere near Troon North. If you're staying in Old Town area, why pick Troon? Many better courses just as close or closer.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

We are staying at the FireSky Resort. Have never stayed there before. I choose Troon North because I once played the Monument course and loved it. Would love to try the Pinnacle course. I'm open to anything. The last time (only time) we were at the Camelback resort and I wanted to try a desert course. I will have a car and don't mind driving some.

Thanks for the input guys. I seriously don't know the area. I remember Troon North being a drive but the area was really in the early stages of growth. I'm sure it's built out the entire drive now. Talking Stick seems to come up a lot. That may be the one.

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1389822981' post='8467387']
We are staying at the FireSky Resort. Have never stayed there before. I choose Troon North because I once played the Monument course and loved it. Would love to try the Pinnacle course. I'm open to anything. The last time (only time) we were at the Camelback resort and I wanted to try a desert course. I will have a car and don't mind driving some.

Thanks for the input guys. I seriously don't know the area. I remember Troon North being a drive but the area was really in the early stages of growth. I'm sure it's built out the entire drive now. Talking Stick seems to come up a lot. That may be the one.
[/quote]

You'll pass Talking Stick driving to Troon from FireSky. It's right off the 101 and Indian Bend. Troon isn't far from Grayhawk either, which IMO are better courses than the two at Talking Stick. Another nice course just off the 101 is the TPC Champions (not the stadium). And if you want a real challenge, just east of Troon is Vista Verde, one of the toughest courses in the valley.

Anyone have a recommendation for a course near the Old Town area that would be moderately priced and not too difficult for me to bring the lady to when we visit at the end of the month. I'd be fine with spending 200 for myself but more than 120 for her seems unnecessary.

G425 LST 9
G425 LST 14.5
TS3 18*
S55 or i210
Glide 3.0 54* 58*
Ping PLD Anser D

[quote name='hawkeye15' timestamp='1389976264' post='8478051']
Anyone have a recommendation for a course near the Old Town area that would be moderately priced and not too difficult for me to bring the lady to when we visit at the end of the month. I'd be fine with spending 200 for myself but more than 120 for her seems unnecessary.
[/quote]

[quote name='hawkeye15' timestamp='1389976264' post='8478051']
[/quote]

Biltmore courses are very female friendly and close to old town and within budget. Just not one of the top courses.

Talking stick would be a good choice. The South course is a good choice for a female as well. Better than Biltmore.

My wife enjoyed Silverado. Pretty close to Old Town and a lot less expensive than Talking Stick. I've always found the conditions there to be quite good. No range. They have a couple of nets with mats for warming up. McCormick Ranch is right next to Silverado. I haven't played there, but I've used their range to warm up for Silverado. Seems like a nice course.

[quote name='quarterskins' timestamp='1390022673' post='8482099']
My wife enjoyed Silverado. Pretty close to Old Town and a lot less expensive than Talking Stick. I've always found the conditions there to be quite good. No range. They have a couple of nets with mats for warming up. McCormick Ranch is right next to Silverado. I haven't played there, but I've used their range to warm up for Silverado. Seems like a nice course.
[/quote]

+1 for Silverado. McCormick not so much but not too bad.

Looking for something pretty specific, I guess.. Heck, anyone want to join us, as well?

Looking for a great deal at a nicer course Super Bowl Sunday in the Scottsdale area...

We plan on playing in the AM, and then heading to the WM for the finish and watching the SB someplace...

There's just two of us (MN guys)... If any AZ WRXer's have an idea, I'd love the help. Thanks guys!

18 holes tee off between 8:00-10:00 would be perfect. I've been checking golfnow.com, but the deals just aren't out there like they used to be...

HELP! Beers on me!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1390506555' post='8517925']
Looking for something pretty specific, I guess.. Heck, anyone want to join us, as well?

Looking for a great deal at a nicer course Super Bowl Sunday in the Scottsdale area...

We plan on playing in the AM, and then heading to the WM for the finish and watching the SB someplace...

There's just two of us (MN guys)... If any AZ WRXer's have an idea, I'd love the help. Thanks guys!

18 holes tee off between 8:00-10:00 would be perfect. I've been checking golfnow.com, but the deals just aren't out there like they used to be...

HELP! Beers on me!
[/quote]

TPC Champions walking rate next door. Maybe I would even join you.

Anyway around us not paying the extra $50 for not living in AZ?

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

HAHAHA...

Having played that one before, I'm just not up for paying full price.

Any other suggestions gents?

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4