Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Dont know about the non resident 36 hole rate at wekopa right now, non resident green fee is $95. I know there are a few of us now that have the summer wekopass and with that I think the 36 hole deal is around $80 with the replay. You can always go to Wekopa's website and get the pass for $50 If you split the cost of the card you would each play the first round for $48 dollars thus coming out ahead of the normal rate before even playing the second round. The card does need to be purchased before the round is booked and you only get a 4 day window to book but if you log in early there are usually plenty of spots. I can let you know the replay rates after friday, we are going to try and do both courses.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='03 May 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1272924682' post='2418351']
I am a big fan of The GC of Estrella, not a bad hole on the course, just one akward semi blind tee shot on number 18 but the rest of the hole is solid. I played out there about a month ago and it was good they had just sanded the greens but they should be in great shape now.
[/quote]

I really appreciate your help! I see that you mentioned you normally play Fridays. I'm looking at playing one of these 2 on Friday. Always would enjoy the company! If you don't have anything setup, let's tee it up. The only contraint I have is I need to tee off in the morning, probably no later than 8. Let me know.

Also, any of the others out there looking to tee it up, let's get a group together.

I second Verrado as its in good shape and they have specials right now from $49. If you are going to play Wigwam I suggest the Gold course if you are a lower handicapper and hit the ball a decent length. Otherwise I'd hit the red course. I just played both in the past 7 days and they are rollin decent.

As far as Estrella goes its a good layout as mentioned previously. The issue I have with it right now is there are a crapload of those swamp gnats all over the course. I played there a week ago and it was unbearable. If they are gone I'd say try it out but if not I'd stay away cause they will ruin your whole experience.

You are better off staying in the west valley by Wigwam and you will get the most bang for your buck. You wont pay anymore than $59 at any of the courses out here right now. Can't wait til next month when they should all be below $35 biggrin.gif

Played Wigwam this weekend. Very windy but the course was in great shape. Greens were nice. Fairways and tee boxes were in very good shape. If you book through golfnow you can play the Gold course for $39 that includes cart. And that is a great price for the quality.

If you decide to stay and play on the West side then I'd recommend Verrado and Estrella. Both are 20-25 minutes from the Wigwam.

Raven Verrado is top notch. Excellently manicured course. The greens were top dressed with some sand the last time I played there about one month ago but they rolled very nice. They have a very good pro shop and restaurant. Grab a drink on the patio after your round and enjoy the desert scenery. I received an email special for this weekend for $59 that includes cart. Let me know I can send you the email. You won't regret playing there at that price.

Golf Club at Estrella is also a very nice facility. Spectacular desert course. Go to Golfnow for weekend deals. Many times they'll run a special of all you can play golf, lunch, range balls and ProVs.

This is a great time to play in the Phoenix area. Prices have dropped and its not too hot yet. Have fun!

Thanks for the update on course conditions. I'm planning on playing Wigwam Gold Sat morning. If any of you guys are up for playing either Friday at either at Verrado or Estrella on Friday morning, or Wigwam Gold Sat morning. Let me know. The only constraint I have is I need to probably tee it up before 8 on Fri and probably need to tee off around 7 on Sat.

[quote name='asianplow' date='04 May 2010 - 07:56 AM' timestamp='1272984968' post='2420137']
[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='03 May 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1272924682' post='2418351']
I am a big fan of The GC of Estrella, not a bad hole on the course, just one akward semi blind tee shot on number 18 but the rest of the hole is solid. I played out there about a month ago and it was good they had just sanded the greens but they should be in great shape now.
[/quote]

I really appreciate your help! I see that you mentioned you normally play Fridays. I'm looking at playing one of these 2 on Friday. Always would enjoy the company! If you don't have anything setup, let's tee it up. The only contraint I have is I need to tee off in the morning, probably no later than 8. Let me know.

Also, any of the others out there looking to tee it up, let's get a group together.
[/quote]

Sorry just saw this, But I already have rounds booked for Wekopa on Friday besides I dont know if I would have it in me to get out to Estrella that early I would need to be up at 5:00am and quite frankly I like to sleep.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='04 May 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1273030333' post='2421911']
[quote name='asianplow' date='04 May 2010 - 07:56 AM' timestamp='1272984968' post='2420137']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry just saw this, But I already have rounds booked for Wekopa on Friday besides I dont know if I would have it in me to get out to Estrella that early I would need to be up at 5:00am and quite frankly I like to sleep.
[/quote]

No worries there. We'll tee it up next time I'm out there. If you ever make it out to Colorado, let me know. Thanks again for all your help!

hmm not a ton of choices close to downtown. Raven at So Mtn, Legacy Karsten, and Papago are the best choices, but after playing 36 at troon and wekopa they are kind of a let down.

Just played Wekopa Saguaro today it is in pristine condition. Hopefully you will play 14-18 better than I did today but after the meltdown I had it shouldnt be too tough russian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gif

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='asianplow' date='05 May 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1273069228' post='2422558']
[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='04 May 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1273030333' post='2421911']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No worries there. We'll tee it up next time I'm out there. If you ever make it out to Colorado, let me know. Thanks again for all your help!
[/quote]

Where did you end up playing and what did you think?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='07 May 2010 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1273280371' post='2428047']
[quote name='asianplow' date='05 May 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1273069228' post='2422558']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Where did you end up playing and what did you think?
[/quote]

So I ended up playing at the Estrella on Friday and that was great! I was going to book online using golfhub or golfnow, but decided to call. The rate was $37.50 instead of the $59 listed online. They just verti-cut and top dressed the greens a couple of days before, but that didn't affect anything. Greens rolled great and the conditions were awesome. I'd be hard pressed to find anything in better condition here in Colorado for any public course. Great track! Had a lot of fun.

Wigwam Gold was let down. Greens were slow and a little shaggy. Looked like they just top dressed them and and was a little heavy with the sand. I would say it's a step above a muni course. I don't think I would go back unless I was staying at the resort again. There were a ton of people out there, and a lot of hacks. I was paired with another single and we played as a two some. At least the company was great. Minus the greens being slow and shaggy, tee to green was in good shape. The resort was nice but a little dated, same with the room. I would stay there again, but not for there rack rate. We got a pretty good deal on one of there Adobe Casita Suite's. Looking forward to going back, maybe in Sept or Oct timeframe.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='15 March 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1268687367' post='2317748']
[b]The Phoenician: So so...3 9's with 2 of them being "resorty" and 9 pretty good ones. but overpriced for the value.[/b]
[/quote]

[size="3"]The wife and I are going to be staying at [b]The Phoencian[/b] in August and since this is not a golf vacation...(our anniversary and wanting to visit somewhere we have never been before), I think I have her convinced to play at least once at The Phoencian. So even though it seems that this is not one of the best courses in Scottsdale, if you had to play there which two nines would you play and why? Thanks.

PS She has also agreed to a tour of the PING factory[/size]:smilie_ping:

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

I am from New Zealand and planning a trip to Palm Springs/Arizona in April 2011 for 4 guys all on low single figure handicaps. We did a trip in 2008 to Palm Springs, Vegas, and Florida for 2 weeks and loved it and have decided to come back to the U.S. for another trip – 2/3 days in Palm Springs and 10/11 days in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Your post is great and really helpful on choosing courses but would be great to get your feedback on what we are thinking and any recommendations you have. We will arrive on a Monday for 10/11 days of golf in Arizona and happy to play 36 holes on several of the days so probably around 13 rounds of golf.

Courses being considered:
We Ko Pa – both Cholla and Saguaro
Troon – both Pinnacle and Monument
Grayhawks – both Raptor and Talon
TPC at Scottsdale – both Stadium and Champions Course
The Boulders – both North and South
Gold Canyon the Dinosaur
Vista Verde
Sunridge Canyon
Southern Dunes
Trilogy At Vistancia

Questions that would be great to get some feedback on:
1) Your thoughts on the course selection? OK, Take Out, Add In?
2) For the Saturday/Sunday will there be some courses easier to get onto than others?
3) We would prefer to use a tour company to organise the golf, accommodation etc., do you have any suggestions on who to use?
4) Where would we be best to base ourselves – in 1 location or move around? We will have a hire car.

Thanks heaps

Matt

Awesome line up there Matt!

The courses are far flung about the valley, you will most definitely need a rental car. Public transportation in Phoenix is barely existing.

One course to consider adding: The Raven @ Verrado. Nice Fought and Lehman layout, real estate routing, but wide playing corridors, great views on the back nine, firm and fast maintenance. (not to be confused with the Raven @ South Mountain).

If you had to drop one to substitute the above, consider skipping Greyhawk Talon, TPC Stadium, or Vistancia. These are ok, but Verrado is better.

Being a resident, I'm not able to recommend a tour company.

April will be great weather and great conditions. Enjoy!

What a lineup you have there Matt. You knocked off most of my favorites out here! I agree with tjy355 that Verrado is a sweet track. I play it regularly and its a great bang fro the buck, especially when you check out their weekly specials as its rarely over $49 during the spring.

If I were to add one course to that list I'd put Wildfire Faldo on there. Its a sweet links style track that is very challenging and usually in great shape. I haven't played [color=#1C2837]Gold Canyon the Dinosaur,Vista Verde or Sunridge Canyon on your list so I can't comment on those. Have heard great things about Gold Canyon and Vista Verde so those might be excellent choices.. Other than that I've played all of those courses since moving out here last summer. You are knocking off my top 10 list in one week. You are the man!! haha[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]
[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]My Top 5 i've played out here are;[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]1. Troon Pinnacle. (Best condition course I've seen out here from tee to green)[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]2. WeKoPa Saguaro (Sick layout w/ no homes anywhere and great desert landscapes)[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]3. Boulders South (Another top condition track w/huge boulders throughout track)[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]4. Raven at Verrado (Nice desert layout w/elevation changes and good use of terrain)[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]5. Southern Dunes (Best links style track in area w/risk reward tee shots)[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]
[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]All in all you are going to play some sweet a** courses brotha! Good times fo sho[/color]

Great line up Matt, what Tjy and Kobe have said is spot on aswell. The only other thing to consider is the timing with our annual overseeding and it may be an issue at some of the courses early October. You can book yourself and save some money, there are plenty of tour companies out here, however I do not have any first hand experience with any of them to provide a recomendation.

As far as location I would shoot for somewhere around Old Town Scottsdale, keeps you close to good food/nightlife and about as centrally located as you can get to all the courses you mentioned.

Edit: here is last years overseed schedule the courses are typically closed these times and take a few weeks to a month to get back to pristine conditions after the overseed, especially the greens they let them grow out pretty good before they start mowing them down to normal playing length
[url="http://www.scottsdalegolfadventures.com/overseed.html"]http://www.scottsdalegolfadventures.com/overseed.html[/url]

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Penguin Promo is back on at Grayhawk

[url="http://grayhawkgolf.com/penguin/"]http://grayhawkgolf.com/penguin/[/url]

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Matt, I just got back from Phoenix last week and it was amazing! I played for 3 days straight and did both courses at Troon North, WeKoPa, and Grayhawk. In terms of Conditions and layout, I thought Troon and Wekopa stood out against Grayhawk. I would definitely play both and Troon North and Wekopa courses. I think you'd be happy playing Grayhawk, but I don't have much to compare it to in relation to Phoenix Courses. I thought the service level was very good at all 3 courses.

I think all 3 courses offer a 36 hole special, so if you decide to book yourself, you can save a little that way. I believe you must book directly with Wekopa and Grayhawk, but Troon does do some discount times on various sites. I was able to snag a sick rate on ezlinks.com for troon, but you have a very limited selection with a close time frame for booking.

We stayed downtown right next to Chase Field. The drives to the courses were 20-35 minutes each way. Wasn't too bad of a drive in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, just got back from four days (June 9-12 2010) in Scottsdale; played Troon North Pinnacle ($55), Grayhawk Raptor ($55), We-Ko-Pa Saguaro ($75) and Vista Verde ($30 - on Saturday!).

If money were no object, I'd rank them Pinnacle and Sagauro, 1 and 1a, Vista 3 and Raptor a distant fourth (but not a bad course).

Working backwards, Raptor just isn't in the condition that the other three are in. Raptor's greens are a little rough, they compare to Vista's, which I was told were punched two week ago. Neither are so bad that I wouldn't go there tomorrow for that reason, however. Raptor's fairways however are burning out and had quite few bad spots in them.

The course was solid, but not nearly as nice as the Pinnacle and Sagauro, which I played the day before and after.

Vista was nice, but as I explained in that thread on this site, if you are coming to play it once and never play it again, it may leave you frustrated.

Most courses have quirks that you just don't know about until you've played them a few times, but I thought Vista had more than its share. Not that you couldn't figure them out after a round or two, but the pin back center on 4 has about four paces (I walked it off) between the back of the green (and one more pace to the back bunker) and a collection area on the front of the green. I.e., it's impossible to get the ball close. Again, if you know how small that area is, you can play accordingly, but standing on the tee box it's hard to believe it's really that small an area. Front left on 5 is brutal, one pace below the hole and the ball runs 15 feet off the green a la Pinehurst or Shinnecock.

Maybe because they had these back to back early in the round it jaded me, but there you go.

But overall it was good, I just think it would be much more fun the second time. As has been mentioned, no frills here, the driving range is solid but the putting green is small and there's no clubhouse. At all. Gas carts. But if you are just interested in golf, it's good track with the caveats above.

Saguaro was immaculate. If you play the back tees, you need to bring you driver to the putting green because the next tee boxes many times are attached to the fringe of the previous green. First time I've ever seen that. (You don't really need to bring your driver, but you also don't need to move your cart).

The wind was blowing like crazy there (sometimes as much as 3 clubs). Give you an idea, there's a 631 par 5 that I reached in two, downwind (and downhill), there's a 508 yard par four into the wind that I couldn't reach (and was well short) - both with driver-3 wood.

The back is much harder than the front, sporting a 255 yard par 3, and two uphill into-the-wind long par fours, and a tricky split fairway par five.

It's a very nice course and wouldn't hesitate to play it again, and I can't even tell you why I didn't like it quite as much as Pinnacle - but I didn't. It's probably more precise to say I liked Pinnacle more.

Pinnacle was also immaculate, and just really liked the way the course fit my eye. I wish I had taken notes each night, but I didn't, I'll just say for $55 ($61 with tax) I don't see how you can go wrong here.

Reif

Saguaro was immaculate. If you play the back tees, you need to bring you driver to the putting green because the next tee boxes many times are attached to the fringe of the previous green. First time I've ever seen that. (You don't really need to bring your driver, but you also don't need to move your cart).

The wind was blowing like crazy there (sometimes as much as 3 clubs). Give you an idea, there's a 631 par 5 that I reached in two, downwind (and downhill), there's a 508 yard par four into the wind that I couldn't reach (and was well short) - both with driver-3 wood.

The back is much harder than the front, sporting a 255 yard par 3, and two uphill into-the-wind long par fours, and a tricky split fairway par five.

It's a very nice course and wouldn't hesitate to play it again, and I can't even tell you why I didn't like it quite as much as Pinnacle - but I didn't. It's probably more precise to say I liked Pinnacle more.

Pinnacle was also immaculate, and just really liked the way the course fit my eye. I wish I had taken notes each night, but I didn't, I'll just say for $55 ($61 with tax) I don't see how you can go wrong here.

Reif

Man it is huge to even get close to that green in two let alone on itbb.gif . I have hit a few bombs from the back tee and the shortest I have had left was a full 52*.

The back nine on Saguaro is what spawned my WITB title Matts weapons of back nine meltdowns. Starting with that 255 yard par 3 or the split fairway par 5 before it).its a very tough closing 4-5 hole stretch.

My only real knock on that course is #18. I am ok with having a long par 4 like that one at 508. I think the fatal flaw on that was designating it as a par 4 and having the course at par 71. Since it plays into the prevailing wind there are many days where it is all you can do to get it high enough on that ridge thats 240-250 carry to even have a shot at the green. I think they should change it to a par 5 that big hitters have a great chance to eagle and if the winds up its not an automatic bogey for the mortals.

Pinnacle is fantastic to and I think that each time I play it it becomes my #1 then I go play Saguaro again and it becomes my #1 so 1a and 1b is a good call.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of updates added to my first post. Added some current info re southern dunes and overseeding. I also added some Private clubs for those guys that can possibly get reciprocals. So for those of you that have played some of the private clubs feel free to post your thoughts/rankings.
I also updated some of my rankings to my current thoughts, IE dropping Kierland way down just based on pricing.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 1 month later...

We're coming back to Phoenix again, 3 weeks today in fact. 6th year in a row.

Booked on again to play at the usual places as per my previous posts in this thread. Raven V, Estrella MR, Eagle Mountain & We Ko Pa (both on Eagle pass approx $70 each), Troon North and Ocotillo, this will be our first trip to Ocotillo and from what I've read on here I'm a bit dubious. I'm trying to push for a first visit to Vista Verde, which actually comes in cheaper than Ocotillo. Sunridge Canyon is also a possible, we've been before and hence are looking for somewhere new.

Any thoughts on Ocotillo and also does anyone have the overseed schedule please? Apologies if its posted elsewhere!

** Apologies, just found the overseed schedule **

I would play vista over ocotillo any day. Ocotillo.
is all tricked up with water on every hole. Usually it's in very good shape, but it just reminds me of something you would find in fla or so cal. Vista is well worth it, but may have its detractors because they don't overseed the fairways so its not the typical green that people expect. However it plays great and its nice to get some roll out when everything else is soggy

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 1 month later...

Went back out to play The Golf Club of Estrella on Sunday and its fast becoming a top course in the valley. The Greens were awesome and rolling fast between 11-12 on the stimp and the closing holes are right up there with the last 4-5 holes at Wekopa in terms of difficulty and senic value.
Here is a pic of #17 IMO the best sub 200 yard par three in the Valley and then the long uphill 605 yard par 5 #16

[attachment=691115:estrella2.jpg]
[attachment=691116:estrella1.jpg]

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Couldn't agree more regarding Estrella. As per my post above we've been back about a week from our annual golf holiday to PHX. Estrella was awesome, probably the best we've seen it in 6 years. In brief Raven Verrado didn't let us down again, Troon North blew us away (36 in one day). We enjoyed the Saguaro course at We Ko considerably more than we did the Cholla the previous year, it appeared far more scenic.

Ocotillo was ok and the only let down was Eagle Mountain, easily the worst condition we've seen the course. We spent the final day at Legend Trail which again was ok, from memory doesn't hold a candle to Sunridge.

Looking forward to Phoenix 7!

• 2 months later...

Super informative thread. I lurk wrx on occasion but generally post at fgi. Just wanted to post here for some additional opinions. My friend and I have been on many golf trips and this will be our 5th one to phx. Gonna be staying in Tempe near ASU. A little info about us... we're both mid 30's Vancouverities, hc 16 and 12.

We've played quite a few courses but mostly the less expensive ones. In the original posters "high end courses ${:content:}quot;, we've only played Kierland and Wildfire Palmer and that was years ago. It seems we end up playing the same few courses over and over again (Legacy, Lonetree, Phantom Horse, Vistal, Estrella Mountain Ranch at least 2-3 times each already) and I think it would be a good idea to not play those and try something else. Not that there's anything wrong with those courses.

Pretty much wanna have our green fees average out to around $55/round so playing some more expensive and some more cheap courses works. Gonna book basically through ezlinks specials and golfnow discounted rates.

Any comments on these courses would be appreciated. I've read reviews on some of them already on here and at golfhub but a few of them have gotten no mention in this thread.

lookout mountain $49
Trilogy Golf Club at Power Ranch $49
foothills $32
western skies $49
sanctuary $56
las sendas $54
southern dune $55
vista verde $48
McCormick Ranch $49 (saw mention of it in the Tourist trap section... is it that bad?)
legend trail $52
desert canyon $54
longbow $58
whirlwind $66
ocotillo $72
phoenician $75
talking stick $87

Thanks.

Sorry typing this on my droid so its kinda brief. Of your list Vista is my number 1 followed by southern dunes, talking stick north, legend trail, longbow, whirlwind, las sendas, but it could be pretty tough on you. One you missed that would be in that range is the Gc of estrella and it's a great course just a bit of a drive.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120