2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

51 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If you are from out of town and not used to desert courses played in the mountains, I still think Quintero is a must play. Once and pretty much just for the views. There are plenty of reasons you won't want to make a return visit but coming from Chicago, I was mesmerized my first time playing there. Especially all par 3's from the tips with insane elevation drops. Southern Dunes is the opposite. Hidden in the trees, it doesn't really seem much like a desert course but in my opinion one of the best lay outs in Phoenix. Pure golf. And as snooty as Quintero can be, SD has the most accommodating staff that understands how to establish and maintain a repeat customer.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  Yea, we're coming from Texas, so anything with some nice views is always cool to see/play.  We'll keep it on the list.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, shinto said:

Dang... i got a tee time there later this month.  Wondering if I need to reconsider and play somewhere else...Southern Dunes maybe?

Coming from my experience and as a tourist....yes play Southern Dunes. 

Not sure where you're staying, it's still a bit of a drive to SD. I believe rates are off peak now but Quintero we paid $290 for a Monday morning and $150 at SD for Wednesday morning. Not sure if solo or group of 4 but that's 150-600 in your pocket. 

@chisag summary is good too if you want pure desert mountain golf then Quintero is a must play but SD is something completely different. 

Another point if you want a post round beer or just sit and chill a bit the bar/Restaurant and patio at SD is 100x better for vibes. Food I just got a wrap but was solid. 

SD also at night the range turns into a pitch and putt and it has speakers going so its a vibe. And like above the staff at SD is super nice like there are a ton of staff around and will help with anything. SD also had a better water situation with coolers everywhere and access from multiple holes. 

I will drop some negatives on SD. If your sand game sucks there's lots of sand, obviously. But it's not too hard. Apparently their rattle snake situation is super active right now according to a few staff and players at the bag drop. We saw nothing but they're there. Also the bug situation is bad so lots of bug spray, I used Repel 100 in the pump bottle and we were good but mosquito level was low. 

Both are a must play but for me especially with exchange rate Quintero would need to do way more to wow me, I paid more at Troon Pinnacle and had a great time there. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 5/1/2024 at 8:52 AM, MattM97 said:

Ok Quintero write up seen in the eyes out a tourist requested by @AZBRONCFAN and before we get comments yes I read your suggestions before I just joined this tee time while on a golf trip. 

First point is obviously location as you all know, but for anyone visiting depending on where you are staying you're looking at anywhere from a 30-90+min drive depending when you're driving and where you are coming from. Factor in that 1-3hrs of travel time into cost of the round and if you have anything else planned or want to plan anything that day, I originally had something planned but had to cancel it, luckily I was able to reschedule and do some other stuff which I enjoyed but it's a day wasted on it's own. 

Bag drop is simple, lots of guys there, pro shop like others said is tiny, not a ton of memorabilia if you want to pick up some swag or anything. 

Then the drive up to the range and first tee, it's a 10min drive and for some reason the carts like to take their sweet time getting there, I'd understand if maybe you had some epic views but it's up a long driveway and past I think hole 10 or something to the range, the range itself is fine, a little small on space but I think when I got there we had a small delay so kinda bunched up and I had to wait for a spot especially being a lefty. 

Starter was friendly, gave us a lot of info and warnings on the course especially about where to go, where not to go and the wildlife, also gave us a heads up about the tarantula hawks which I'll get to in a bit. But onto the course we go and it was not like hitting the ball onto a diving board but man you miss left or right by more than 10 yards and dead, drop and hit again. I know that's desert golf but at least what I've played you can kinda get to your ball and play out.

But the one issue we had right off the bat noticing balls not holding on the greens was that they were sanded, I'm sure that time of year prepping it for the summer but balls could not hold on approach and putting was like oil on glass, they weren't rocket fast like I experienced at Troon in November they were almost slippery and very unpredictable. Would have been a nice little heads up from someone on staff but already had us by the Top Flites for like $290  so buckle up boys off we go.

The course was also very damp, the bunkers were basically wet sand and a few spots in the fairway were damp. I wonder if they hit the sprinklers hard since heat was picking up or summer grass coming in, I don't know but just another issue to tack onto the course conditions. 

The course itself is nice, nothing like jaw dropping but some really nice views like everyone says but some of those tee box views were ruined by the tarantula hawks, something like 5-7 holes we were by their nests or something and they decided to buzz our heads, etc. Yes I get we're out in the wildlife but it was just unenjoyable at times and kinda became a joke of the trip.

We did like the water and bathrooms on the course, definitely helpful but can't really highlight on that I guess. One guy in the group played Whirlwind the day before and he said it was more fun, he said the views at Quintero were way better and course was nicer but the fun factor and price and location were better for him. We all did the survey, will see what they say if they respond to us but doubt it. I'm not sure if we regret playing Quintero, I said I wouldn't be back just get it knocked off the list and move on. I'd put it at the lowest rating for what I've played in Arizona, if it was $190 not $290 I'd probably not be as harsh on top of the drive as well. For the time and gas could just go back to Troon North or play 2 rounds somewhere else I think at Southern Dunes they had like 36 and Breakfast for less or the same price. 

So that's my thoughts on Quintero, the price they are demanding for their product doesn't match up for what's out there. If I was to come back to Arizona I know you guys joke but I'd go play Ambient and Whirlwind for the same amount or a bit more out of pocket and probably more money spent in the pro shops and money injected into the area 

All valid points. I have only played there in July/August when the fees are $90ish. For $290, you'd want better than a wet and sanded green golf course. I have always enjoyed the bentgrass greens there in the summer. If you're a little crooked off the tee, it can be a long day and that can kind of color your impression of the course. I'm not a fan of the blind, uphill approach shots to many of the Par 4's and 5's. 

We Ko Pa and Southern Dunes are my 2 favorites for sure. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AZ_JHWK said:

All valid points. I have only played there in July/August when the fees are $90ish. For $290, you'd want better than a wet and sanded green golf course. I have always enjoyed the bentgrass greens there in the summer. If you're a little crooked off the tee, it can be a long day and that can kind of color your impression of the course. I'm not a fan of the blind, uphill approach shots to many of the Par 4's and 5's. 

We Ko Pa and Southern Dunes are my 2 favorites for sure. 

I've been advised not to come in the summer, when the temperature is higher than the green fees might not be a good decision for me. 

But yeah like you said a few minor things can snowball and your perception of a course changes instantly and maybe forever. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

47 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I've been advised not to come in the summer, when the temperature is higher than the green fees might not be a good decision for me. 

... When you slowly build to 110*from April to June it ain't so bad. Hot for sure, but doable. (I hate the cold so heat doesn't bother me) My cut off is 114*. But to just get off a plane and be confronted with 110*, it I can be very uncomfortable. 🥵

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... When you slowly build to 110*from April to June it ain't so bad. Hot for sure, but doable. (I hate the cold so heat doesn't bother me) My cut off is 114*. But to just get off a plane and be confronted with 110*, it I can be very uncomfortable. 🥵

I got hit pretty bad last week going from 40F to 100F and then back. Summer will have to see will be in Italy and it's a toasty one there too so could handle it. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

11 hours ago, Baraethon said:

I guess this is a course info... Is there anywhere good to get on a trackman or similarly high end launch monitor for a few hours without breaking the bank? I want to get some good data on my distances and build my pitching a little bit, but I'm not sure how accurate the Trackman Range system like Bellair, etc is.

Have you checked out Trevor’s in north Scottsdale? They have a trackman you can rent. 

14 hours ago, Baraethon said:

I guess this is a course info... Is there anywhere good to get on a trackman or similarly high end launch monitor for a few hours without breaking the bank? I want to get some good data on my distances and build my pitching a little bit, but I'm not sure how accurate the Trackman Range system like Bellair, etc is.

The Back Nine Golf is another option as well. Couple locations depending where you are.

https://thebackninegolf.com

16 hours ago, Baraethon said:

Dobson Ranch has it on the range and it works fine,

On 5/6/2024 at 9:08 AM, teejaywhy said:

Mirabel 

Yeah, Mirabel as I recall was done….and then redone.  I don’t think they ever broke ground on the second course at Quintero.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 5/2/2024 at 6:44 PM, Baraethon said:

we’ve got two dryvebox track man rooms, $25/hr your first hour, $50/after

24 hour access @ greenfield lakes in Gilbert 

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options