Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

What's the 500 club like? I stopped by to check out the range today and it was surprisingly good, all grass and flatter than Cave Creek. Only downside was the buckets were a little expensive.

I'll probably be back to try the short course, at least. The layout of the full course looks a little wacky, but it could be fun.

13 hours ago, Baraethon said:

What's the 500 club like? I stopped by to check out the range today and it was surprisingly good, all grass and flatter than Cave Creek. Only downside was the buckets were a little expensive.

I'll probably be back to try the short course, at least. The layout of the full course looks a little wacky, but it could be fun.

The range is usually pretty beat up, they get a lot of traffic out there. 

The 500 club is a fun track to play and usually in above average shape. It’s not going to win any awards for design but again, it’s a fun layout. No houses on the course so that’s always a bonus. A couple of getable par 5’s with some risk/reward features. Some so/so par 3’s, longer from the tips but not much variety other than a blind/uphill in #11. 

The Futures course is a good walk and usually in good shape as well, nothing special at all but if you want to get a quick short round to work on some things it does the trick. 

On 3/20/2024 at 8:00 AM, AzSuperHack76 said:

The range is usually pretty beat up, they get a lot of traffic out there. 

The 500 club is a fun track to play and usually in above average shape. It’s not going to win any awards for design but again, it’s a fun layout. No houses on the course so that’s always a bonus. A couple of getable par 5’s with some risk/reward features. Some so/so par 3’s, longer from the tips but not much variety other than a blind/uphill in #11. 

The Futures course is a good walk and usually in good shape as well, nothing special at all but if you want to get a quick short round to work on some things it does the trick. 

Hey, it can't be worse than the cave creek range...

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 10:57 AM, puttnforthe8 said:

WW is a better range, chipping area, putting area, restaurant, pro shop, carts, service, etc.

WW is a better location - quiet and peaceful vs planes flying overhead

WW is prettier - mountains and true desert vs. bushes, hotels, buildings

WW is better conditions; better greens; better bunkers.

The only think LB is better (and I love LB - but this is for visitors) is some better designed holes and a bit tougher.

I believe they are around the same price.  As a local, at same price I am 7/8 out of 10 WW.  But I consider the whole picture too.   I still would not direct a visitor for a single round to LB over WW.

What about the flower beds and selection of pastel golf wear? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm coming back to Phoenix next weekend 20th to 24th for a golf event/meet up. I'm playing WeKoPa Saguaro twice once for the event and once with the host early cause he got an extra round (I'm not saying no to discounted golf on a Sunday). I do need a round for the 22nd solo and 24th with someone else I'm meeting up with. I also think there may be something at Grass Clippings for the event. 

I'm looking for some guidance from you guys who didn't steer me wrong last time. But courses I'm eyeing up: 

- Whirlwind but which one?

- Camelback Ambient

- Southern Dunes   

- Westin Kierland was suggested by a friend, again worth it? 

- Talking Stick worth it or avoid? 

Something I'm missing? Apparently might be able to get on at Blackstone CC but that could be last minute. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

- Whirlwind but which one? The consensus is Devils Claw and I prefer it to Cat Tail but I really like both. 

- Camelback Ambient This is one of my personal favorites simply for the rugged sea side look. Straight out for 9 and then back for 9 with a British flair. Heads up: no shade. 

- Southern Dunes  Again a personal favorite with only a few weak holes. Awesome practice facility and the staff is super friendly and conditions are always good (with the exception of bunkers).  

- Westin Kierland was suggested by a friend, again worth it? (I have not played it)

- Talking Stick worth it or avoid? If I was forced to play one of them I would play The Piipaash Course. I don't care for The O’odham Course and would not have it on a list like this. Only played twice and both rounds were very slow. 

... Obviously all of them are personal opinions but I try to take visiting into my recommendations. 2 pictures at Ambiente:

Ambiente.jpg.daadc74a785b19d99076931c787cab8c.jpgAmbientebunker.jpg.972038009486b8d64a7c9bf7a7f93c28.jpg

Ambiente 2.JPG

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

- Whirlwind but which one? The consensus is Devils Claw and I prefer it to Cat Tail but I really like both. 

- Camelback Ambient This is one of my personal favorites simply for the rugged sea side look. Straight out for 9 and then back for 9 with a British flair. Heads up: no shade. 

- Southern Dunes  Again a personal favorite with only a few weak holes. Awesome practice facility and the staff is super friendly and conditions are always good (with the exception of bunkers).  

- Westin Kierland was suggested by a friend, again worth it? (I have not played it)

- Talking Stick worth it or avoid? If I was forced to play one of them I would play The Piipaash Course. I don't care for The O’odham Course and would not have it on a list like this. Only played twice and both rounds were very slow. 

... Obviously all of them are personal opinions but I try to take visiting into my recommendations. 2 pictures at Ambiente:

Ambiente.jpg.daadc74a785b19d99076931c787cab8c.jpgAmbientebunker.jpg.972038009486b8d64a7c9bf7a7f93c28.jpg

Ambiente 2.JPG

So 3 good options with Whirlwind, Camelback and Southern Dunes from you. But 2 rounds I have to book, sounds like 1 day may be a 36 hole day. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

So 3 good options with Whirlwind, Camelback and Southern Dunes from you. But 2 rounds I have to book, sounds like 1 day may be a 36 hole day. 

if a 36 day, Whirlwind or Verrado - I personally would play Verrado; because Whirlwind, while 2 courses there is too much similarity.  I prefer Devils Claw if you play only one.

Kierland - please do not come to AZ to play Kierland! 

Talking Stick - ok; but not worth including vs the others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, puttnforthe8 said:

if a 36 day, Whirlwind or Verrado - I personally would play Verrado; because Whirlwind, while 2 courses there is too much similarity.  I prefer Devils Claw if you play only one.

Kierland - please do not come to AZ to play Kierland! 

Talking Stick - ok; but not worth including vs the others.

I'm semi joking on the 36 since I've played 1x in 2024 and my body isn't ready for 36 right now. I'm sure 4 rounds in 4 days I'll be sore. 

So what I'm hearing Whirlwind for sure. Skip Kierland and Talking Stick. You didn't mention it but Camelback Ambient is a must play not Padre. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

14 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

You didn't mention it but Camelback Ambient is a must play not Padre. 

... Padre absolutely does not belong on your list.  I wouldn't pay more than $19 to play there and even then all other courses in Phoenix would need to be booked. 🤪

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Padre absolutely does not belong on your list.  I wouldn't pay more than $19 to play there and even then all other courses in Phoenix would need to be booked. 🤪

I had it booked last time but dropped it for TPC Champions, but I definitely wouldn't play to play Padre. Crazy how there is such a contrast between the two courses. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I had it booked last time but dropped it for TPC Champions, but I definitely wouldn't play to play Padre. Crazy how there is such a contrast between the two courses. 

... Yup, most course complexes I have played may be different, but do have some similarities. Ambiente and Padre are like two different properties and absolutely nothing similar about them. 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup, most course complexes I have played may be different, but do have some similarities. Ambiente and Padre are like two different properties and absolutely nothing similar about them. 

That's why I like asking you guys, won't steer someone wrong when they have questions for courses.

I know I had that list but what about Eagle Mountain just cause it popped up on my YouTube from searching courses. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I'm semi joking on the 36 since I've played 1x in 2024 and my body isn't ready for 36 right now. I'm sure 4 rounds in 4 days I'll be sore. 

So what I'm hearing Whirlwind for sure. Skip Kierland and Talking Stick. You didn't mention it but Camelback Ambient is a must play not Padre. 

Padre is in no way a mush play; I don't put Ambiente in a "must play" either.  It's a good course - but again, imo, you don't come to AZ to play Ambiente.   It's a decent course, but I will never suggest a person put it above the good desert courses.  It's the "I want to play golf in nice weather on a good shape/conditioned course while in Scottsdale, so I don't have to drive far" course.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

That's why I like asking you guys, won't steer someone wrong when they have questions for courses.

I know I had that list but what about Eagle Mountain just cause it popped up on my YouTube from searching courses. 

Eagle Mtn is a very fun course and ego boost course; not the greatest but certainly good.  You get desert with easy golf, views and pretty good conditions.   Lots of fun shots.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Padre is in no way a mush play; I don't put Ambiente in a "must play" either.  It's a good course - but again, imo, you don't come to AZ to play Ambiente.   It's a decent course, but I will never suggest a person put it above the good desert courses.  It's the "I want to play golf in nice weather on a good shape/conditioned course while in Scottsdale, so I don't have to drive far" course.

2 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Eagle Mtn is a very fun course and ego boost course; not the greatest but certainly good.  You get desert with easy golf, views and pretty good conditions.   Lots of fun shots.  

I'm going to keep reordering these then lol, I still have time to book. To be fair I have to book the rest:

1a. Whirlwind

1b. Southen Dunes

2. Verrado Victory?

3. Camelback Ambient 

4. Papago? 

I dunno too many options not enough time. Or do I just play Cholla and play 75% of my rounds at WeKoPa. I'm open to any other must play within reason, can't really swing Troon North again cause of the event cost. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I'm going to keep reordering these then lol, I still have time to book. To be fair I have to book the rest:

1a. Whirlwind

1b. Southen Dunes

2. Verrado Victory?

3. Camelback Ambient 

4. Papago? 

I dunno too many options not enough time. Or do I just play Cholla and play 75% of my rounds at WeKoPa. I'm open to any other must play within reason, can't really swing Troon North again cause of the event cost. 

Cholla isn't a bad desert course. It tends to get poo pood for Saguaro. If you're in the area, I wouldn't pass on it. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

1a. Whirlwind

1b. Southen Dunes

2. Verrado Victory?

3. Camelback Ambient 

4. Papago? 

oh no.

Southern Dunes, Verrado either course, Cholla, ..........a whole bunch others ....., whirlwind, .....ambiente..............a lot in btw ....Papago.

SD and WW are not a 1a 1b.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Cholla isn't a bad desert course. It tends to get poo pood for Saguaro. If you're in the area, I wouldn't pass on it. 

I could play Cholla but playing Saguaro twice on this trip, kinda want to expand. 

14 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

oh no.

Southern Dunes, Verrado either course, Cholla, ..........a whole bunch others ....., whirlwind, .....ambiente..............a lot in btw ....Papago.

That's the list I want to see, will relay it to my buddy who's also going. 

Kinda curious on the whole bunch of others but I'd just be contemplating more lol. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

18 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I could play Cholla but playing Saguaro twice on this trip, kinda want to expand. 

That's the list I want to see, will relay it to my buddy who's also going. 

Kinda curious on the whole bunch of others but I'd just be contemplating more lol. 

Cholla is a completely different animal vs. Saguaro. Don't dismiss it because it's on the same property. Saguaro is very open off the tee with tough approaches. Cholla is more of a target-like desert layout. 

By the way, did you mention where you're staying? Verrado is quite a hike from Scottsdale. 

Edited by Argonne69

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Cholla is a completely different animal vs. Saguaro. Don't dismiss it because it's on the same property. Saguaro is very open off the tee with tough approaches. Cholla is more of a target-like desert layout. 

By the way, did you mention where you're staying? Verrado is quite a hike from Scottsdale. 

That's definitely what I've heard. I'm staying right near Talking Stick so I know Verrado is a good hike, another reason I didn't consider Quintero and like I've heard from a few comments the views are the winner the course is ok.

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

That's definitely what I've heard. I'm staying right near Talking Stick so I know Verrado is a good hike, another reason I didn't consider Quintero and like I've heard from a few comments the views are the winner the course is ok.

... Like everything in life, you are gonna get conflicting opinions and that's they way it should be. We all have our own criteria. Other than the spectacular 18th, I am not a fan of Victory but really love Founders. However I10 going to and from can be a nightmare for traffic. I am also not a Papago fan. Conditions are always spotty, rounds are approaching/exceeding 5 hours and even though the renovations are an improvement, I don't find it worth the price and I have a city card. 

... Like puttnforthe8 said, I don't think Ambiente is a "must play" either but still one of my personal favorites because it is so unique. And if I were traveling to Phoenix I would love it in my rotation. But that's me. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Like everything in life, you are gonna get conflicting opinions and that's they way it should be. We all have our own criteria. Other than the spectacular 18th, I am not a fan of Victory but really love Founders. However I10 going to and from can be a nightmare for traffic. I am also not a Papago fan. Conditions are always spotty, rounds are approaching/exceeding 5 hours and even though the renovations are an improvement, I don't find it worth the price and I have a city card. 

... Like puttnforthe8 said, I don't think Ambiente is a "must play" either but still one of my personal favorites because it is so unique. And if I were traveling to Phoenix I would love it in my rotation. But that's me. 

Oh definitely I just don't want to go there play a course that's really not that good and regret leaving something on the table. 

I definitely think I'll have to do Southern Dunes and may do that Wednesday before I fly out. As for my Monday round I'm not sure maybe see if I can get a deal at Cholla since I'd play Saguaro 2x in 3 days. Or just put names into a hat and draw. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 4/10/2024 at 3:37 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

oh no.

This... Except I would not have Verrado above Cholla.  I'd have Verrado after WW and Ambiente.. kind of on the same tier as them but I would play both WW course and Ambiente before picking Verrado Founders pretty much every time.  The Founders course is solid but I've never found it to be that interesting.  The greens have been dog s*** the last 3 summers that I've played it (Poa took over and they may have the bumpiest greens in Arizona).  I feel like Founders is super overrated by people who have lived in Phoenix for a very long time.  It's almost like it's nostalgic because it was the hot the new desert course 20 years ago and its typically a decent deal comparatively.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Here is where my trip is at for this week:

Saturday: Land in PHX at 10pm, grab rental, go to hotel, bed. Maybe In-N-Out stop if peckish.

Sunday: WeKoPa Saguaro - Playing with event host and discounted round. 

Monday: No idea, still searching for a round cause I cannot decide. Popstroke in evening for event meet up. 

Tuesday: Event at WeKoPa Saguaro - Yes I know I'm playing this twice but social event.

Wednesday: Ak-Chin Southern Dunes - Fly Home. 

I can't decide where/what I want to play on Monday, a few courses have some less than ideal tee times so have to pick something before too late. Unless someone here has a tee time and wants company lol. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Here is where my trip is at for this week:

Saturday: Land in PHX at 10pm, grab rental, go to hotel, bed. Maybe In-N-Out stop if peckish.

Sunday: WeKoPa Saguaro - Playing with event host and discounted round. 

Monday: No idea, still searching for a round cause I cannot decide. Popstroke in evening for event meet up. 

Tuesday: Event at WeKoPa Saguaro - Yes I know I'm playing this twice but social event.

Wednesday: Ak-Chin Southern Dunes - Fly Home. 

I can't decide where/what I want to play on Monday, a few courses have some less than ideal tee times so have to pick something before too late. Unless someone here has a tee time and wants company lol. 

The Champions course at TPC Scottsdale has a couple of morning openings for a single. Pricey at $189, but that's the valley for you. 'Not an award winning layout, but better than avaerage.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

The Champions course at TPC Scottsdale has a couple of morning openings for a single. Pricey at $189, but that's the valley for you. 'Not an award winning layout, but better than avaerage.

I played that in November and did enjoy it but obviously want to experience more. With that said I'm playing Saguaro 3x in 6 months but that one I really enjoy lol. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

15 minutes ago, BobbyLite said:

WW or Raven would be my vote. Played Raven all of 2 weeks back and was in great shape. WW is always pure too.

Sleeper pick - Sterling Grove...but it is a hike to get there. 

These 3 are great second tier options.  I love playing them as a resident and kind of as everyday courses.

With that said, I'd take TPC Champs over these pretty much everytime 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5